Start by marking “The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)

The Beast of Talesend

(Beaumont and Beasley #1)

The alternate cover edition for this book can be found here

Private eye Nick Beasley lives in a world where fairy tales ended a long time ago – where zeppelins now soar the skies instead of dragons, and where the first automobiles have taken the place of flying carpets. He’s made a name for himself across the Afterlands by debunking fake magicians and exposing fraudulent mo

Published January 16th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Talesend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast of Talesend

Kyle
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a pleasant surprise. It's exactly the sort of story I've been searching for. Crisp dialogue, action-packed plot, laugh-out-loud humor, and a fresh take on classic fairy tales. I can't wait to find out what happens in Book 2; I'm sure it will be very exciting.

DISCLAIMER: I am personally acquainted with the author, though I wouldn't describe us as close friends. We say hello when we meet; that's about it. He's always struck me as a rather likable fellow, but I know very little a
Re-read September 2018

Still awesome and hilarious and my favorite. XD

Re-read (listened to the audiobook) September 2017

Read my audiobook review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Original Review, May 2017

Beauty and the Beast + 1920s detective story + alternate history where all the fairytales were, well... actual history + snark + humor + lovable and entirely unconventional characters = The Beast of Talesend by Kyle Robert Shultz, a.k.a. The Book You Need To Read Right Now.

Not convinced? L
Kate Willis
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I opened this book. The C.S. Lewis quote was definitely a good sign. Follow that up with a fantastic blend of Sherlock Holmes and fairytales, Doctor Who-esque rash decisions (that somehow half worked out), and downright perfect humor, and it was a winner. (Please don’t let me comparing it to many other things fool you--this book is really unlike anything else.)

I loved the setting, and Nick’s general outlook/personality. He and Crispin were hilarious, and I laugh
Laura A. Grace
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(In advance, I apologize for the strong overuse of exclamation marks. Tis a fangirl's favorite punctuation mark.)

Oh. My. Goodness! What an incredibly fun and great book!

I loved Nick right from the beginning and my fondness for him only grows as the story progresses. He was such the gentleman, even as a monster! I greatly can't wait to see where his story will go and as he learns more about the world of magic. (That one scene though! Gave me such a big grin and made my heart happy.)

Secondly, I ju
R.F. Gammon
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Rip-roaring. Hilarious. Everything a fairy tale retelling should be.
Hazel West
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Review coming soon!
Nate Philbrick
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review time!

In a nutshell: The Beast of Talesend had me smiling from cover to cover. Normally I don't like retellings because (in my personal opinion) I think they lack novelty. Kind of like eating stir-fried leftovers. HOWEVER, that is NOT the case with this book. I kept forgetting it was a retelling at all. It's not a long read, but Kyle Shultz manages to pack so much fun in the pages, it's really astounding. It had some Artemis Fowl vibes as well, which is always a plus.

What I wasn't s
Christine Smith
The Beast of Talesend is book #1 in the Beaumont and Beasley series and is, essentially, a Beauty and the Beast retelling…sorta.

Imagine a 1920s detective-story and then set it in a world where fairytales aren’t just stories…they’re the world’s history. Add a heaping cup of humor, loveable (and hilarious) characters, magic, and a downright fun ride of a plot, and you’ve got yourself this book.

Yeah. Everyone needs to read it.

It’s written in first person, which isn’t always my favorite but I honest
AUDIOBOOK REVIEW

(Review originally posted here: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...)

I have flailed elsewhere (see link at end) about how much I love this book, and this time I’m here to talk about the absolutely delightful audiobook version.

I remember thinking, when I heard about the audio version, that The Beast of Talesend would make a positively fantastic audiobook. Add to that a British narrator and the levels of fantastic go through the roof. Fast-forward to my ecstatic reaction when t
m a r y l i z
This was a rather fun read...buuuuut I'm a little conflicted as to how I feel about it.

Here's the thing: I was expecting to adore it. The first chapter was my favorite thing ever, and it gave me high hopes for the rest of the story. Not to mention the fact that some close friends of mine recently read and loved it. AND THERE WAS SNARK SO IT HAD TO BE AWESOME, RIGHT??

*pauses*

- The snark. OH YES MY FRIENDS. The snark was rea
R.J. Rodda
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
A quick but enjoyable read.

Merged review:

4.5

This is a very fun read, full of fairy-tale craziness. Poor Nick discovers everything he’s believed about that world is wrong. Loved the reference to ‘The Dragon Delusion’ and holding my thumbs in the hope that Reginald is more than a frog!!!
Tricia Mingerink
This book is amazing! I'd seen the book mentioned by people I follow on both Goodreads and Twitter, so it was on my TBR list.

I should've read it sooner than I did. Really. Like go out and buy it this minute. It is written with the same sort of witty, wry, laugh out loud humor of the Percy Jackson series or My Lady Jane. So many great off-hand remarks. Times when the characters didn't respond to situations in the cliched manner, but with a totally unexpected remark. I couldn't stop laughing thro
Claire Banschbach
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really loved this story! It's not long and I pretty much read it one setting. Worth checking out for the chapter titles alone. :)

Characters - all great. Cordelia is a nut case with a touch of sanity and I loved her. Nick tries to be a hardboiled detective, but isn't really. The villains were appropriately dramatic and monstrous. They all combined for a really fun cast in which you like everyone, even the villains.

The dialogue was snappy and fun and had me laughing out loud for a good portion.
Grace Crandall
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*falls backwards*
*stares happily at the ceiling*
Well. THAT was glorious.

I loved how FUN this story was. It wasn't only fun; there was meat and substance to it, too, but--it was also fun. Fun-ness is a virtue that a lot of stories seem to forget, it seems; but not this one.

Years after all the fairy tales have ended, the world still turns on, growing and changing, filling up with cars and zeppelins. Magic seems, at best, like a half-forgotten memory; at worst, an invention and a myth.

Nick Beasl
Sarah Elizabeth
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I could simply gush and gush and GUSH about how much I enjoyed this little novel. Seriously. I could go on and on, my friends. It was such a fun read, I promptly passed it on to my husband -- who read it in less than two days -- and then on to my brother-in-law. Needless to say, the Hubs loved it! and it will definitely circulate the fam, I can tell you that. A huge shout out to the author, Kyle Robert Schultz, for his amazing debut!!

The plot is so unique and creative. The story-world is amazing
Lila Kims

Delightful romp of all delightful romps! XD

...with just the right touch of emotional. 😭
Hannah Heath
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well. That was fun. I loved the sense of humor and the fresh, imaginative (very loose) re-writing of a classic fairytale. In fact, I've never really liked the original fairytale, so this story gave me a version I can actually enjoy. =D The characters were all good on their own, but when together the dynamics were even more excellent. My only complaint was that I never felt any of the characters were in danger, so even though the stakes were technically fairly high, I never felt like they were. B ...more
Bethany Kellam
A sarcastic narrator, a unique twist on classic fairytales, and hysterical interactions between the MCs?

Yes, this is definitely one of my favorite books.
Allyson
A few weeks back, I noticed a couple Kindle books by Kyle Robert Shultz were having a free day. I decided to download them solely because Shultz is a fellow indie author. I didn't realize the books in his Beaumont and Beasley series are fairytale retellings until I started reading, and I'm happy to say that the first installment is a Beauty and the Beast retelling I won't soon forget!

Highlights

Characters
BY FAR my favorite character was Crispin, our main character's hilarious younger brother. H
Merie Shen
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
f you're a lover or fairytales, like me, you'll enjoy this book. But if you like a snarky magic skeptic as a narrator, detective stories with a fun new twist, fantastically whimsical characters, and epilogues that will make your mind go BAM, then read this book.

(That epilogue though. It was a stroke of pure genius.)
S. M. Metzler
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I LOVED this book. Such a fun read. New fandom.
I LOVED the characters. Nick is an awesome, sarcastic, witty skeptic of magic, and this is the story of how his life literally gets turned upside down as he discovers that magic is indeed very real. Cordelia was a great character also, a Charmblood who is trying to save her father from the corruption of the evil Rose: the main villain in the story.
I loved how a lot of the traditional fairy tales came into play to set up the story and the plot.
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Update 5/26/18: Still awesome. This is also now officially on my list of Books That Make Everything Better.

Steampunk + Fairy Tales = Awesome

This is wonderful and hilarious and generally awesome. It's not exactly a mystery, even though the main character is a detective, but the book is so good that that's not really an issue. I love the world (yay, steampunkery and fairy tales!), the unique take on some classic fairy tales, the character interactions, everything. The only disappointing thing was
Allison
/ 3.5 stars

this novella was cute and adorable and hilarious. also snarky. <3 the characters are amazing (Nick is my favorite), and the premise was really unique and cool (an alternate world where fairy tales are actual history << SO COOL).

but, idk, a couple parts fell a little flat? and i was confused about the magic and the Rose. idk. also it was really short. i am definitely going to finish this series, and i can't wait to see what happens next. ;)
D.J. Edwardson
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such an enjoyable romp. Infused with laughing gas, rose scented perfume, and the smell of bubble gum stuck to the bottom of a shoe. It's a mystery, a comedy, and a fantasy all rolled into one. There is so much to like in this Beauty and the Beast re-telling, it's hard to know where to start.

The plot follows the well-established detective and "magical" debunker Nick Beasley as he seeks to crush the hopes of wishful thinking people everywhere. There is no such thing as magic. Period.
Cayre
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had seen many people say that this book was a fantastic read, written by a thoroughly enjoyable author. It turns out, they were all absolutely correct.
I was captivated from page 1 as the characters leaped off the page and took me along on a wonderfully quirky and exciting ride. I couldn't put this book down.
The writing is superb, the dialogue feels real, and the story itself was perfectly paced. And this is only the beginning! I have a feeling I am hopelessly hooked on this author, and will ha
Brianna Silva
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me, for someone who typically doesn't care for fairy tales and is (admittedly) suspicious of indie books.

It was very clever, subversive, and deliciously entertaining, playing off of tropes while also providing a breath of fresh air.

There were a couple info-dump dialog moments that I thought could have been cleaned up, but otherwise the writing was sharp and witty. The characters weren't super deep, but they were enjoyable and worked for the genre.

It's a short read too, and
Alexis Johnson
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an absolute blast! I love the sense of humor and the totally innovative way of using fairy tales in a mystery setting. The nature of B&B reminds me a lot of the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, as well as the Dirk Gently TV series - and that's a compliment! I could totally envision this as a show or webseries. Maybe I'll get the rights to it, eh Kyle? haha I was admittedly kind of sad about poor Nick's fate, but we'll see what happens in future installments. Nick is a g ...more
C.B. Cook
I'm not a huge fan of books heavy in magic, but this one was great! The storyline was very interesting with great plot twists, and the characters were so well developed. They also had great arcs throughout the story, especially Nick.

The world was also built really well. Magic was included in a really interesting way without making the world seem unrealistic, and I think the rules helped with that.

Overall, awesome story! I'm looking forward to reading the next one!
I LOVED THIS SHORT STORY! <3

The suspense, the MEEP, the Talesend, Peter Pan (O____O), and a cameo of A COUPLE OF CHARACTERS WHO I LOVE AND WILL REMAIN NAMELESS BUT ALKDJFLKJDL THAT WAS MY FAVE. <333

I WILL SAY NO MORE BECAUSE EPIC SPOILERS OF A SPOILER-ISH NATURE.

Read it.

Read The Beast of Talesend first. But read it. :D

(FYI, you can get it by subscribing to the author's newsletter. ^_^)
emrys merlin
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gah!!! This was so much fun!! I'm still getting over it's awesomeness!!

The world of Talesend is one where farytales ended a long time ago, where magic is written off by many as silly children tales for those who can't accept the world as is. Private eye Nathaniel Beasley is one of these such characters. Making it his life's work to expose magicians and phonies alike, Beasley is quite surprised when he is proven wrong and he has been transformed into a monster. Finding his only chance of regaini
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merging duplicate entries? 3 16 Jul 07, 2017 02:49PM
Kindle Unlimited ...: The Beast of Talesend by Kyle Robert Shultz 1 7 Mar 05, 2017 08:40AM

• Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • Masque (Two Monarchies Sequence)
  • After Hamelin
  • Wish Upon a Unicorn
  • Judge (Books of the Infinite, #2)
  • Blood Ties (Modern Tales of Na Fianna #1)
  • Halayda (Star-Fae Trilogy, #1)
  • Five Magic Spindles
  • The Last Motley
  • Dark Tempest (Red Winter Trilogy, #2)
  • The Xanadu Adventure
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • Five Glass Slippers
Kyle Robert Shultz began writing in his early teens after being bitten by a radioactive book. As a Christian, he strives to write fiction that is entertaining and wholesome, but devoid of overt “messages” or agendas. He lives in the wilds of southern Idaho, removed far enough from civilization to keep humanity safe should any of his rough drafts break through the electric fence. Aside from writing ...more

Beaumont and Beasley (4 books)
  • The Tomb of the Sea Witch (Beaumont and Beasley, #2)
  • The Stroke of Eleven (Beaumont and Beasley, #3)
  • The Hound of Duville and Other Stories (Beaumont and Beasley, #4)
“That was horrible.” “That was a fairy tale,” said the wraith. “Fairy tales are horrible.” 7 likes
“At least, that’s what I thought until she picked up a buttered roll and flung it at a nearby woman’s hat.” 7 likes