Start by marking “Love Is Heartless” as Want to Read:
Love Is Heartless

Love Is Heartless

(Love Can't #2)

A Love Can't Novel

Small but mighty--that could be Detective Nevin Ng's motto. Now a dedicated member of the Portland Police Bureau, he didn't let a tough start in life stop him from protecting those in need. He doesn't take crap from anyone, and he doesn't do relationships. Until he responds to the severe beating of a senior citizen and meets the victim's wealthy, bow-tied la
Published January 13th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Love Is Heartless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is Heartless

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Love is Heartless is the second book in the Love Can't series but can be read as a standalone. It overlaps with Love Can't Conquer so we hear about Jeremy and Qay, and see Jeremy on page interacting with Nevin, but the focus is on Nevin and his love interest Colin.

Nevin is a detective who investigates crimes against seniors and the disabled. Once an angry punk, tossed from foster home to foster home, Nevin is now one of the good guys. He may say "fuck" a lot, but he cares about the community and those in need.

Nevi
Judith
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
4.5

Opposites attract in the most delicious way...

Take:

One kind of grumpy Detective who doesn't do relationships and doesn't go back for repeats,

One kind of nerdy guy who definitely does do relationships,and wants the white picket fence,and the HEA,

And:

You get something quite delicious and believable and HOT.

I really enjoyed this,I've had it on my Kindle for a while aclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Opposites
Gigi
Love is Heartless is the second book in the Love Can't series. This book features a new couple, but runs concurrently with book one. We see quite a bit of Jeremy but not Qay. (We only hear of Qay, not see him.) I don't see anyone having a problem reading this as a standalone, but Love Can't Conquer is SUCH a great book, I highly recommend reading it.

Love is Heartless was in the difficult position of being the second book in a series where the first book, Love Can'
Ele
5+++ stars!

Thank fuck for friends reviews. I wasn' t planning on reading this because I didn' t love the first book, but all my friends loved it so I thought I'd give it a go. I adored it! I devoured every word. The consistent characterization, the steam, the banter, the humour...I really clicked with all of it. I honestly think this is Fielding' s best Contemporary book. Very highly recommended.
Kim
Dec 13, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Love Can't series but can easily be read as a standalone.

I can't tell you how much fun I had writing this. I'm extremely fond of foul-mouthed, cocky Detective Nevin Ng. He swears so much I had to buy a guide to cussing. Cute, perky Colin Westwood is a perfect foil for him. There are murder mysteries, a cat named Legolas, and a purple GTO named Julie. The story takes place in Portland, Oregon, one of my favorite settings. And although opposites can certainly attrac
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I've been meaning to get around to this one - but its seems every time I was about to start it another book would catch my eye. Finally, I made a point to read it.

Really, really liked this one. Pretty much ticked all of my boxes.

Good steam
Low angst
Some suspense
Likable main characters
Banter
Great writing

I read this one as a standalone with no problems. The reviews of book 1 have me a little hesitant to jump in to that one, but I may at some point
Meep
Re-read-Still LOVE Nevin, and that Colin is so different but equal to him.
Don't normally re-read a book so soon but not in the mood to seek something and I do love Nevin.
...
LOVED this. Immediately drawn to the characters and immersed in their world. Instant favourite.
And how refreshing is it that Nevin works with elderly people, it seems every other m/m book focuses on child-abuse, and while there are some shitty childhoods in this series it shapes but is not the
Jewel
4.5 Stars

I loved Love is Heartless even more than I did Love Can't Conquer. I love flawed and damaged characters and Kim Fielding not only delivers on that, but also on the promised happy ending.

There are character crossovers from the first book, but I think you can read this one standalone, if you wish. I do recommend both books, though, and they each are distinct in their feel. The timelines for both Love is Heartless and Love Can't Conquer run fairly concurrent, as well. I did enjoy seeing Jeremy again, from ano
Kaje Harper
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, m-m
I really enjoy this author's writing style - engaging and an easy, smooth read. These were appealing main characters, and this could definitely be read as a stand-alone. The characters and events from the first book hover on the edge of the story, but don't need to be understood more deeply than is on these pages.

Nevin is a tough guy, a small, feisty, mouthy man who was forged in the crucible of fifteen foster care placements. Nevin Ng was nudged to the side of justice, rather than crime, by a
Ami

Love is Heartless is the second installment to Kim Fielding’s “Love Can’t” series which starts with Love Can't Conquer, released last year. It features Nevin Ng, a detective in the Vulnerable Adult and Elder Crimes Unit of Portland Police Bureau, who is also Jeremy’s (the main character from the first book) cop buddy.

This book hit me in ALL the right places. I love prickly characters in romance especially those who also don’t believe in relationships. There is something gratifying about reading when these characters realize t“Lovestars
Adam
Colin and Nevin are complete opposites. The two have very different ideas on love and life. Luckily, I’m a sucker for an opposites-attract romance.

Nevin only does one-night stands - two nights if the sex was particularly good. Colin’s been dreaming of his wedding since he was a kid.

Nevin can’t get Colin out of his mind after they first meet. Colin’s different, and intriguing in a way that Nevin doesn’t want to look at too closely.

For his part, Colin’s willing to take a chance, even if Nevin makes it clear that he wo
Ariana
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I thoroughly enjoyed this. The scenario is right up my street and the story of Nevin and Colin really captured my heart.

Nevin's grouchiness and his foul mouth could have been off-putting, but somehow Kim Fielding achieved the exact opposite effect. Snarky Nevin made me grin, and at times the way he is throwing around swear words is funny to the point of cute.

Of course there is a reason for it, too. In a way I see Nevin's language as yet another shield against the world, another means of survival and coping
Nat ReadingAllNite
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, dreamspinner
Damn! Disappearing review. It's awesome, I'll tell you more later.

I really, really liked the latest release in the the Love Can't series. The story runs somewhat concurrently with Love Can't Conquer and Jeremy's friend Nevin is the star here. Actually, Colin was more of a star for me but both were engaging characters. Kim has a way with emotionally damaged characters and the way unexpected love can help someone find their own strength. Nevin is the more emotionally damaged of the two, while
Aerin
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, part-of-a-series
I fell in love with foul-mouthed, crabby, moody and intense Detective Nevin Ng. I love this story, everything about it is simply perfect; intense, sexy as hell, not overly dramatic but captivating nonetheless. Even though it's the second book in the Love Can't Series, it can be read as a standalone without any problems. To be honest, it took me a while to remember details about the first book (I cheated, I went and read my review) and I had no trouble keeping up with Nevin and Colin's story. ...more
Tess

Loved pretty much everything about this. Nevin in particular was a fascinating character - prickly yet with a heart of gold. I loved his job and how much he cared about what he did, and that he made it to where he was from such a tough beginning. So very deserving of a HEA and family with Colin.
Kazza
Bang On 3.5 Stars.

Hmm. Okay. I’m unsure how I feel about this book overall because I liked it and I didn’t like it so I’m sleeping on it to maybe come up with what’s on my mind.

All right, slept on it. I’ll be straight to the point, if Nevin Ng was not an MC, if I had really liked or loved both MCs, this book would have been close to 5 stars. I struggled enormously with Nevin for a good portion of this book, I put it down twice in the first 30% alone because of him. I picked it bac
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
This book is kind of sort of a prequel to the first in the series, since it starts long before Love Can't Conquer, but it's about Jeffrey's friend Nevin Ng and his boyfriend Colin, who Nevin mentioned a couple of times in the first book but who we never met. Now we see how they met and slowly fell in love.

Oh, so slowly. Nevin's a complex character with many walls built around him after a lifetime spent in foster care and for once, we're given a story that gives a more realistic portr
Anke
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I gave this a try as it was way better than the first book! In the beginning Nevin gave me problems with all his swearing and his attitude but he grew on me and Calvin, he was a sweetheart. Yes, I liked it a lot.
Karen Wellsbury
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prism-reviewed
Excellent romance, good chemistry and connections with the MC's.
Suspense more of a vehicle for the romance, but elevated because Kim Fielding can write

Full review on Prism shortly
Cory
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this just as much as I loved the first book in the series. How can two people that shouldn't be perfect for each other be SO perfect for each other? This was so great that I want to go back and read the first book again because I loved that one too!
Claude
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That book was fun, cute and good!
I really love these two guys, Colin was my favorite tough.
It's about Love finding you.
Nevin is a cop who really had a rough start in life. But one day he met a really good person and it changed everything.
Colin is the bow tie guy who i really love more more. He's so strong. When i learned about his story, my heart really broke for him. For all people in this situation, i hope you live your life the way you want even if you are afraid of tomorrow because anywa
Heather Martin
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

Love is Heartless is Book 2 in Kim Fielding's Love Can't Series. This book runs concurrent to the first book so each book is a standalone but because of a situation with Jeremy, they should be read in the correct order. Because Jeremy and Nevin are good friends, you get to see these two characters in each other's books but Qay and Colin do
Morgan  Skye
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel, but you don’t have to read these books in order. However, Kim Fielding is an amazing author and book one is AWESOME so you should read it anyway!

If you did, you’d remember Nevin as Jeremy’s Detective friend with the attitude. This book runs along at the same time as book one, so all those times we’d see Nevin pop in and out acting a bit mysterious – well, Colin is his mystery man!

The main dynamics are the facts that neither man has any real experience being in a re
Christelle
Part of a series but can be read as a standalone.

This is a sweet and sexy story about Nevin, a detective who raised himself from a shitty childhood and doesn’t want any serious relationships. During an investigation, he meets Colin, a sweet and wealthy guy, with a knack for bowties. They are totally opposite, but they really click together and Nevin keeps coming back.

Tbh, I found the plot quite lacking. But these guys were sexy, good characters and made it for a nice read
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Another winner from Kim Fielding. Fun and enjoyable read. The MCs have great chemistry together. Love Nevin's character, hes just one of a kind. Hope to read more of Colin and Nevin in future books. 4.5
Elena
Another great book by Kim Fielding, another couple of characters beautifully written and developed.
Nevin is the most interesting of the two in terms of character development and...oh, who am I kidding? I was sold on these two from the moment they spent their first evening together watching The Lion King.
While petting Colin’s cat, Legolas. Enough said.
Stefanie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Sweet.
BR11
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Colin, who super sweet as he was, was nobody’s doormat. That combo was Nevin’s fall. Nevin who didn’t do repeats, slept with everything that walked had zero defenses against Colin’s generosity and sexyness.
Loved this improbable pair. The mystery part of the plot was also interesting.
Recommend
NP
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was going to leave a review then noticed Kazza had pretty much summed up my feelings, so it felt redundant.

I am tired of internalised homophobia being passed off as sassy, straight talking or a DGAF attitude. It isn't, it's just offensive!
justanya
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"... He's got a spectacular ass and he's hung like Pegasus."~ Nevin
The minute Nevin uttered these words to describe Collin to Jeremy in Love Can't Conquer, I made up my mind then and there that I had to read his book and I couldn't wait for Kim Fields to write Nevin's story. Nevins story was well worth the wait. The assumptions I made about Nevins life were proven correct and Kim through in a few twists and turns I was not expecting and found pleasantly surprising.

Growing up Nevin had it tough. he was abandoned by his mo
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Solitary Man
  • Bitter Legacy (Bitter Legacy, #1)
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Embers (Common Law, #2)
  • Brothers in Arms (The Broken Road Cafe #2)
  • Dirty Heart (Cole McGinnis, #6)
  • Suspicious Behavior (Bad Behavior, #2)
  • Corruption (Diversion #3)
  • Requiem in Leather (Deputy Joe, #4)
  • Night Watch
  • Doubleback (Doubleback, #1)
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
  • Bonfires (Bonfires #1)
  • Reclamation
  • High Concept
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phone booth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite wor ...more

Love Can't (3 books)
  • Love Can't Conquer (Love Can't Series, #1)
  • No Place Like Home (Love Can't Series, #1.5)