Start by marking “The Scorching (Scorching Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Scorching (Scorching Trilogy, #1)

The Scorching

(Scorching Trilogy #1)

Gravity generators and college classes make living on the moon boring. All eighteen-year-old Madi wants is to finish her training so she can become a shuttle pilot and explore the solar system. But when her parents disappear and the government refuses to help, she's forced to take matters in her own hands. Her search leads her to Earth, long-abandoned after an apocalypse. ...more
Paperback
Published January 26th 2017 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about The Scorching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scorching

Start your review of The Scorching (Scorching Trilogy, #1)
Rick Treon
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Scorching by Libbi Duncan is perhaps one of the most relatable YA fantasy novels I’ve read in a long time. Many of you may be disappointed, but I did not love reading The Hunger Games books and felt happy with watching the movies.

But, I am somewhat of a SciFi fan. (Star Trek, not Star Wars. Arguing is futile.) I was pleasantly surprised to find that, while seeking to expand outside my favored genre (thriller/mystery), fans of YA, fantasy and SciFi are sure to find something to like about The
Myrtle Brooks
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading the Kindle version of The Scorching. Libbi Duncan's skills in conveying the reader through the heroine's perilous, fast-paced journey are apparent. She writes with the clarity this story needs. Madi is indomitable in the face of horrendous adversity, even as she witnesses her loved ones felled by a ruthless enemy bent upon conquering and subduing not one world, but two. Her love for Torian, her romantic interest, and for her parents and friends is tenacious, and it is thi ...more
Elizabeth Jane
Did not hold my interest as expected...

I normally really enjoy books about "life after earth" and what lengths humans go to just to survive. Based on the premise, I thought this book would fit into those categories. In a way, it does; however, the actual writing is tedious and amateurish. I couldn't stay interested. This is "so many books, so little time" type of situation.
Jason Renteria
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Libbi Duncan's debut novel The Scorching already sets itself apart from other YA scifi novels in that she creates a story with twists and turns and a unique version of our earth.

The story follows Madi a girl from the Moon whose scientist parents go missing under strange circumstances. Madi takes matters into her own hands and makes her way to earth which is believed to be uninhabitable after an unknown cataclysm. On earth she finds a diverse and different world that is racked with war between d
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay, for what it is, a self-published, print on demand novelette, it's good. Yup, there are typos, the pacing is horrible, well, there is no pacing. It's just a rapid fire of consecutive events. But the concept of the story was fun. So I gave it two stars.

If I was comparing this book to actual novels, there's just too much to critique. In a nutshell, the characters are simple with plot puppet motivations, the dialogue is BASIC, the reading level is low, and the world is way too complicated for
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A New Author

The Scorching is Libbi Duncan's first book and as an avid reader I have to say I cannot wait to read her next book. Generally this genre is not my preference for reading material but Ms. Duncan has done an outstanding job of capturing and keeping my attention throughout the book. For futuristic/sci-fi readers this is a must read and for those readers who prefer other genres I encourage you to read outside of your comfort zone because as a new author Libbi Duncan does not disappoint.
Beth Martin
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
So... I read another YA dystopian novel with a strong female lead. I can't help myself. I'm sorry.

First off, this book was nothing like I expected. It follows Madi, a determined young woman who's parents have disappeared. When she learns that they were sent on a secret mission to Earth, she decides to go there and rescue them.

Instead of a barren wasteland of long abandoned technology, the Earth is still populated with people who have hyper-evolved in the past few centuries. There are tree people
Brianna
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on one of my Half Price Books hauls recently and was happily surprised and hooked on the fantasy that Libbi has generated here.
Eighteen year old Madi Longview is attending college on the moon, part of a colony of humans living there after the earth was made a wasteland years in the future. When her parents are reported lost on a distant asteroid along with her best friends parents, Madi’s life starts to unravel.
In a wild turn of events Madi gets proposed to from her ex Vesper, a
PAUL CHIODO
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, but also a little childish

I really enjoyed reading this book, but it seemed at times that it was too much fantasy. Flying & mind reading. Kinetic energy & mind control. This was a little too much for me. I would've enjoyed it more if the people were just human with maybe some evolutionary traits, such as webbed feet for swimming or double eyelashes to protect from the sun. The "new" traits these different races of people had were just too extreme for my taste. It did make for a good "
Jennifer Peavy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, then this is definitely a must-read! I love how the story starts out on a space colony before Madi makes her way to earth. This story is action-packed literally from the beginning to the end, and will have you on the edge of your seat with every twist and turn! From humans to mutants, this books is filled with intriguing characters and civilizations, and the suspense of war between them! It's a great action-packed book that you can't help but get lost ...more
Kristen Jackson
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished The Scorching, and I absolutely love the concept...from a colony on the moon to all of the adaptations of the various species living on Earth, I was enthralled! A unique and creative world full of adventure, romance, and suspense. I would definitely recommend this book to any sci-fi/fantasy lovers! The ending was perfect and kept me wanting more. Do I really have to wait five more months for the sequel?
Beverly
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of a series featuring Earth and the moon in the far future after a comet has streaked across the land. Lots of changes to humanity due to nanobot technology. On earth, there are a lot of humanoid races/subspecies.
Interesting cultures. Characters are okay but rather immaturely drawn. The writing is not as polished as it could be.
Teri
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With a creative imagining of a post-apocalyptic Earth, The Scorching is an animated YA sci-fi story.  Madi is a strong, determined, adventurous main character who is easily relatable.  This book is sure to appeal to both young adult and adult readers with its intense action, surprising plot twists, and charming romance.
Joe McGowan
This is definitely a book for children, yet I must have missed the PRE YA disclaimer. Ive read many a YA, they are usually very enjoyable, unfortunately, I think many children might become bored, I gave up after the fifth chapter.
Anna
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read. I liked how the characters interacted and how the story developed.

It was great to have the main characters be male and female. How they interacted and developed was great.

I would definitely recommend to everyone especially YA
E. Paige Burks
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Madi is a young, headstrong teen looking for love. She thinks that's her only worry, but then her parents go missing from their home on the moon. Oh, and there's an intergalactic war going on. Madi travels the cosmos to find her parents and herself.
Katheryn
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and very entertaining. I kept turning pages.
Robert Moss
Teen fiction, bad scifi. N
Larissa
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg ❤️❤️

Omg this book is definitely scorching. Such a good book to read I loved every twist and turn with it can’t wait to read the next one. ❤️❤️❤️
papasteve
This is definitely for a teen audience. Even though I bought the sequel, I am not sure I am going to read it.
Mya
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was a all around disappointment. There are too many plot holes let alone the mediocre writing.
Janet S
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Scorching and the rest of the series makes for a good fast read. The main characters are young and they are faced with situations and decisions that would be beyond anything we would have to face in our own world and time. The author puts much of the story in an earth world that exists after political and environmental disasters make it necessary to get humans to move to the moon to survive. But the politics go with them and result in more environmental problems. Returning to earth just brin ...more
Valerie
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Sword and Shield
  • Frontier Incursion
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)
  • The Imperfectionists
  • Death Around the Bend (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #3)
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • Earthdom (Ether Collapse, #3)
  • Dragontiarna: Knights
  • The Curse (The Realm Between #1)
  • To Open The Sky
  • Labor and Delivery (The Delivery Mage #3)
  • Deadly in New York (Hawker, #4)
  • Dispocalypse
  • A Bond Broken (The Infinite World, #2)
  • Castle of the Noobs (Noobtown, #3)
  • Watcher's Test (Life in Exile, #1)
  • The Quotable Doctor Who: Wise Words from Across Space and Time

Scorching Trilogy (2 books)
  • Ashes (Scorching Trilogy, #2)