Start by marking “How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life” as Want to Read:
How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life

How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life

An inspiring biography of one of the most influential and beloved figures of the 21st century, based on more than a thousand interviews. "I've read every book that has ever been written about Walt Disney, going back to some that were published in the 1930s. [How to Be Like Walt] is by far the most enjoyable to read of them all!"
Tim O'Day, Disney Scholar
"How to Be Like
Published August 1st 2004 by Health Communications Inc

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Like Walt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Like Walt

Start your review of How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
Love Fool
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it

I am a HUGE Disney fan and lover. I am the biggest kid you will ever meet... which is why for my big 30 I am going to Disney World again.

Say what you want about Walt Disney but this man is inspiring. No matter how many times he got kicked down he got back up and tried harder.

This book was given to me by my former boss who gave this book to everyone, telling
Tim Chavel
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. I recommend it to everyone. after you read the quotes below just remember that the book is 400 pages, so there is so much more! Enjoy and be inspired:

“We are all born to be who we are. What was the genetically unique individual who was going to be himself. His job, and ours as well, is to finish the job on earth that we were created for.” ~Ray Bradbury writer

Now more than ever, we need people with the qualities Walt had: optimism, imagination, creativity, leadership,
Brynn
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disney
Ugh! I was so close to loving this book. It's really a great, detailed biography of Walt Disney - which is why I still gave it 4 stars. But at every opportunity, the author would start talking about how faith in God and Christian values were important.

I'm not Christian. I'm agnostic, leaning heavily towards atheism. So to have a book repeatedly tell me that you must be faithful to be a good person REALLY got on my nerves.

I learned a lot about Walt and the book was engaging to read, but now I'm
Ro
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I share Walt Disney's birthday and have been fascinated with Walt and Disneyland since my daughter wrote a report on Walt Disney and Disneyland as a California treasure for her 4th grade social studies class.

This book is part biography, part management skills, and part self-improvement book. It is wholly enjoyable. I learned a great deal about Walt as a person, an artist and entrepreneur. I learned about the art and science of animation, film production and creativity.

The inspiring part of the
Kurt Anderson
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad at all. I never realized how interesting this guy's life was, or how much of a character he was.

Particularly cool: the structure of the book was just plain neat. It was chronological, but not.
Slightly annoying: Pat Williams sometimes comes off a little too fanboy-ish, and the tone of the book can occasionally get preachy.
Jenn
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub-lehi
A poorly written book about a very creative, forward-thinking man. Whatever your feelings about Disney as a business, the man was a visionary and had a fascinating life. I read this book just before trips to both Disney World and Disneyland. I saw the parks in a new light after reading about Walt Disney's vision for each place.
Amanda Thompson
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Original BookTube review HERE

It’s part biography, part motivational speech, part self-help book, part business guide, and utterly captivating. Everyone needs to read this book. Everyone. To assume only Disney fans will enjoy this book would be a gross miscalculation. Certainly they will enjoy it the most, but there’s plenty in this book to benefit anyone looking for a good way to conduct business, keep your priorities straight, or even just believe in yourself.

Pat Williams has done a wonderful
Saad Youssefi
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book shows what are the characteristics that allowed Walt to establish an organization that until today inspires people across the world, as well as talks about what the personality traits that a leader needs to succeed in changing the world.

I very much enjoyed the book and major takeaways include maintaining a very innocent childish type curiosity. Walt was curious about everything, and he was a life learner. He asked questions about everything, he even asked all the employees their
Jerry
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2014
I really enjoyed this book. The life of Walt Disney is every bit as entertaining as the best Disney films and going to Disneyland. In fact, while reading this, I found myself watching movies to further enhance the biography. Okay, I didn't watch as many as I'd liked to have, but I was able to watch them in my mind along with the events of Walt's life. This book is great storytelling. Story after story after story based on friends, family, and employees' experiences with Walt. I call him "Walt" ...more
Jorge Costales
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be like Walt and Pat, positive and prolific

I grew up with happy, albeit vague, memories of Disney television programs and a definite love of Disney World which has survived puberty, parenting and my middle ages. So it is with a certain sense of relief that the more I have learned about its creator has reinforced what a great American he was. His creativity and stick-to-it-ivity are well chronicled in Pat Williams’ biography.

Williams himself has led a life worthy of biography-type attention. His
Jo
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
This was an excellent book. It was very interesting and inspiring. I really enjoyed all the little stories. I also enjoyed that this book was mainly objective; it didn't talk about Walt in a bad way, and it didn't sing his praises all the time. I didn't like all the quotes on the side of the page. They could be distracting, and they often were all saying similar things. Also, I think the author assumed some things, and you should NEVER do that when writing non-fiction. And the author was a ...more
Randy
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Walt Disney is an inspiration to me, and I love how this book is able to function as a biography of him that also made connections to practical, daily principles that readers like me can use to incorporate many of his best features and enduring qualities into our own lives. That is no easy task, I'm sure. The portion towards the end about Walt and his faith is something I've rarely read about elsewhere, and I'm extremely glad that part especially is in there. Walt wasn't perfect, though, and ...more
Katee Scarlett Knittle
I'll be honest. Walt Disney is a hero of mine. I have loved him and his work all my life. I cry when I hear stories about him or see pictures of his Disneyland. I just really loved this book. I personally think there was a bit too much religious aspects to it in some parts, but I want everyone to read it anyway. Every page is filled with personal stories that you won't read anywhere else. Loved it. I left this feeling closer to him.

Everyone who says that they are a Disney fan needs to read this
Ron Ledford
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great book about a great man. I see it as a great business and motivational book that I will keep within reach as I move forward with my latest creative endeavor. Pat Williams' format of providing history behind Walt Disney's efforts and then ending each chapter with "This how you can be like Walt..." I am glad I saw this on Glenn Beck's website as one of three books he gave his staff in 2013. I gave it as a gift at Christmas 2013 and she is loving it as much as I did.
David L.
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have always admired Walt Disney. How could you not? There is not one person on the Earth that hasn't been affected by his vision for peace and happiness. This book not only let me learn more about his life but more about his beliefs and how to be more like him. He was by no means a perfect man but I think all the good that he did, and is still doing even from beyond the grave, overshadows his imperfections. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone!
Jennie Rowan
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have been a Disney fan for a long time, and enjoyed reading about the man behind it all. Disney really is what it is because of this one man and his vision. I think he was a really remarkable person, and feel a little cheated that he passed before his time.. I actually cried a little when I got to the part in the book where he dies..But the book is really inspiring--focuses in on his great qualities and ways we can try to be like him, it's more than just a biography timeline.
Jeanne
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most inspirational books I've ever read. There are so many lessons to learn from him that apply to everyone's life. "Walt's life challenges us to dream bigger, reach higher, work harder, risk more, and persevere as long as it takes... That is the supreme lesson of his endlessly instructive life. The riches of an incredible, adventure-filled life are within our grasp--if we will dare to be like Walt."
Lauren
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this biography of Walt Disney! He is such a fascinating guy and I've always wanted to learn more about the magic behind him, the Disney Company and his wonderful movies! It was fun to read about the man behind Disneyland -- the happiest place on earth -- and I had know idea how ahead of his time he was and how ground breaking he was in the world of animation. Loved the book! If you want to learn more about Mr. Walt Disney I highly recommend this book!
Stephanie Sheaffer
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"How to Be Like Walt" is an inspiring and interesting biography of a man who created miles of magic with his one short life.

It’s a journey through history, a motivational masterpiece, and – most of all – a practical guidebook about leadership. Packed with inspiring stories and memorable quotes, Williams’ tribute to Walt is anything but boring. This book should be required reading for university students and business people…and anyone who aspires to leave an unforgettable legacy.
Cameo
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
You know how Elphias Dodge wrote that warm and loving obituary for Dumbledore in the beginning of Deathly Hallows and then he kind of just skimmed over the murkier parts of Dumbledore's past? Pat Williams did just that for Walt, and I loved it - obviously. I am in awe of Walt Disney and of all the things he accomplished, and it was a treat to read of all of his adventures and quirks and how he made his dreams into the incredible realities that we enjoy today.
Peppermint Twist
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Walt Disney is one of my Idols and this book is full of interviews of people who have worked with him over the years. It is a great look into the mind and actions of a very special person who has changed so many of our childhoods for the better. I learned a lot about Walt and when I finished this book I felt like a good friend had just moved away=)
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
After booking Disneyland Paris, I realised I didn't know much about the man himself. I set out to find a decent biography on Walt Disney and this definitely fits; it's part biography, part self-help. I generally skipped the self-help parts but the book in general is a pleasure to read, well researched and includes numerous perspectives on Walt Disney from his family, friends and employees alike.
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura by: My sister's mother-in-law
This book was incredibly interesting to me. I cannot believe how amazing Walt the man was. The only thing I could have done without was the "how to apply this quality of Walt in your own life" at the end of each chapter. I like to think that I am smart enough to glean those gems on my own.
I love biographies, but even if you don't you might give this one a try.
Erik Barrett
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Great bio if you're into Walt Disney. The author definitely is. Gives great insight into his behavior from several people close to him. The book paints his flaws as positives without being apologetic and talks about the many contributions this historic character made to our modern culture. I've read it twice.
Faileth
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
So, so good! I knew he was responsible for some great innovation in the animated world (obviously); but I was amazed at just HOW MUCH he invented/created! The writing, admittedly, is not fantastic. But the man himself is a fascination! And there were so many stories and anecdotes, I really felt like I got to know Walt Disney. I recommend it to anyone!
Andy
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, those who love innovation and imagination
This is the best biography of Walt Disney I know. Pat Williams does an excellent job showing you ways you can apply things Walt learned in his life to your own life. Walt was an amazing man and I think few realize how remarkable and innovative he was -- and the struggles he had to go through.
Eeva Nikunen
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best book about Walt Disney I've ever read. The book takes a very personal look into Walt Disney's life and career and there's so many things that can be learned from the way Walt lived his life. I really enjoyed this book.
Christi
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A few fun life lessons, but overall a good biography of an awesome dude. "It'll work."
Carol Kolceski
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved learning about Walt Disney and the legacy he has left to the world! Inspired me as a new business owner that I can do anything and to dream Big!
Emily
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I have so much respect for Walt and I feel like I know and understand him a little bit better.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World
  • The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World
  • The Vault of Walt
  • DisneyWar
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
  • Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World
  • Dream It! Do It! (The People, The Places, The Projects): My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real
  • It's Kind Of A Cute Story
  • Poster Art of the Disney Parks
  • The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom
  • Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination
  • Since the World Began: Walt Disney World--The First 25 Years
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at Walt Disney World
  • Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul
  • The Disneyland® Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom®
“Just watch Snow White. Just visit Disneyland or Walt Disney World in Florida—he was laying the plans for the Florida park while he was on his death bed. People kept telling him his dreams were impossible. Walt knew better. He had wished upon a star.” 2 likes
“All you have to do is own up to your ignorance honestly, and you will find people who are eager to fill your head with information.” WALT DISNEY” 1 likes