Start by marking “Zwischen zwei Meeren” as Want to Read:
Zwischen zwei Meeren

Zwischen zwei Meeren

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Die Magie der Träume

Jeden Sommer reist Florian von Hamburg nach Kalbrien in das Heimatdorf seiner Mutter. Jeden Sommer zeigt Nonno Giorgio ihm dort die Ruinen der alten Familienherberge, die er wieder aufbauen will. Als es endlich so weit ist, steht schon die `Ndrangheta vor der Tür, um ihm ihren „Schutz“ anzubieten. Hilflos sieht Florian zu, wie sein Großvater, der sich g
Published June 17th 2016 by Aufbau Verlag (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Zwischen zwei Meeren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zwischen zwei Meeren

Orsodimondo
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italiana
UN CORO DI CICALE INVISIBILI O DI RONDINI FURIBONDE
Pur continuando a intingere la sua penna nel ricordo, questa volta Abate abbandona in parte mito ed epica della cultura arberesh, va via dal paesello (Hora) per spostarsi un pochino più a occidente, pur sempre in Calabria.
Conferma la sua qualità di affabulatore e inventore di storie.

description
La Calabria tra i due mari, Jonio e Tirreno, è larga 30 km: è un punto che si trova sulle Serre ed è chiamato l’istmo di Catanzaro e Marcellinara.

Siamo a Roccalba, t
Chrissie
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Italian culture and coming-of -age novels

NO SPOILERS

Rarely do I feel the need to read a second book by the same author. However The Homecoming Party, by the same author, was such a delight that I had to not only add Between Two Seas to my shelves, but also had to read it soon!

I have already read about 40 pages. I am now thinking that this could be one of my favorite authors. I immediately fall for the descriptive and perceptive prose. The characters come alive. The grandmother is soft and you just want to be hugged by her, smelling th
Beth Asmaa
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot about this novel to like, even though the first-third possesses a vigorous spark which fizzles somewhat in the remainder of the story. The novel speaks mostly about southern Italian culture in language, food, land cultivation, photogenic environment as well as about its beauty in vistas, women, cherished dreams, bergamot-scented memorabilia. The spunky characters cherish freedom and tradition. There are also threats to that idyll from commercial developers and vindictive thuggery. ...more
Aubrey
3.5/5
Basic premise of obsession, family, and culture, a good vibrant tale of Italian food and love of life. Speedy read, the ending was expected but not made boring by the predictability. I liked the details, it was very easy to maintain a colorful mental pictures while reading. No great insights into the human condition here, it's a juicy read filled with beautiful scenery/photography and mouthwatering food/women rather than a savory one. There's a bit of triumph, a bit of tragedy, and a whole
GONZA
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi sono letta tre libri del Sig. Abate, per la precisione "Il ballo tondo", "La festa del ritorno" e "Tra due mari" e l'unica cosa seria che posso fare è ringraziare la compaggggna del cugggggino che mi ha consigliato di leggerlo.
Romanzi brevi che ti lasciano il sale nel cuore, io non conosco molto bene la Calabria, ma non faccio fatica ad immaginarla grazie alle parole che l'autore usa per descriverne la campagna riarsa dal sole, i panorami montuosi che si allungano tra due strisce di diversi m
Mark Lisac
A nicely told little tale about love and other passions in a small Calabrian town, with broader overtones (indicated by the title) of dilemmas, choices and conflicted longings. Would give it 3.5 stars if that were an option; that would better separate it from some of the thrillers that I've rated at 3 stars in possible fits of too much generosity.
Why not 4 stars? Not sure the story had to be told by the first-person narrator in a coming-of-age setting. The narrator grows up in Germany, admittedl
Alison
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who liked "Beautiful Ruins" but wished it had more graphic violence.
This is a sun-struck, nostalgic coming of age novel about fathers and sons and echoes of values across generations. It is also about hotels and the Mafia and Alexandre Dumas (not necessarily in that order). I can say, with no hesitation, that this is the sweetest, loveliest, most generous tale I've ever read that also happens to be built around a horrific murder and a vicious blood feud. So, a little weird* but good. Note: I advise reading this book if and only if you have access to reasonably h ...more
61pat
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bello! Senti proprio i profumi della calabria, l'asprezza del paesaggio, il calore della sua gente. Senza dimenticare comunque le sue problematiche di fondo: la povertà e la criminalità.
Sono sempre più entusiasta degli autori italiani soprattutto per la ricchezza del linguaggio; credo che sia anche un problema di traduzione per gli autori stranieri perché non sempre le sfumature si possono rendere in una lingua diversa.
Esther
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love lost, betrayed families, and a mysterious disappearance and reappearance of a beloved grandfather, as told by a young grandson named Florian. This story is partially in flashback and skips around its own timeline, creating parallels between generations.

Carmine Abate's style is lovely and descriptive, and the imagery is quite good. The flashback format got a little confusing in places, but the plot was still discernible at all times.
Meagan
I was intrigued by parts of this book, but I found some aspects confusing, from little things (why does Florian call his father by his first name but always refer to his mother as mother?) to structural issues (how does the author signal that he's jumping in time from the narrator's childhood to his mother's childhood to his grandfathers' initial meeting?). At 70 pages in, I decided I wasn't invested enough in the narrative to finish the book.
Cory
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-aside
I couldn't get into this book. The story is interesting enough, or should have been, but something about the language seemed flat to me. Maybe it's because this is translated from the Italian. My first failed read of the new year!
Michaela Jane Solway
Love it so far.....interesting juxtaposition between the marriage of the cold northerner & the sultry south...
Have just finished this wonderful book, with all my favourite components.. S Italy, food, & even photography..
Came to Abate late...but intend to become an avid reader of his work....
Cadillacrazy
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting little story set in Italy and Germany. I got through the book quickly, and while it may not grab you right away, it is much like the story it tells and sneaks in around you, and you find yourself more involved and happy about it then you thought you would be.
Lisa Voutt
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. So much so, I have decided to take a year off and move to the nearby villages in this book!
Tatiana Cuevas kemp
Amazing story of perseverance,family ties and great friendships
Camillo  Sirianni
  • Dispute Over a Very Italian Piglet
  • Carte Blanche
  • Cecilia
  • The Worst Intentions
  • Rancid Pansies (Gerald Samper #3)
  • The Sexual Life of an Islamist in Paris
  • The Wine-Dark Sea
  • Bone China
  • Minotaur
  • Margherita Dolce Vita
Carmine Abate was born in Calabria, southern Italy. He immigrated to Germany at a young age and now lives in Trentino, northern Italy, where he teaches university. His first book, a collection of short stories, was published in 1984. He has since published numerous prize-winning novels including Between Two Seas and a collection of poetry.