Start by marking “Akhenaten” as Want to Read:
Akhenaten

Akhenaten

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is a recreation of the life of Akhenaten, Nefertiti's husband, which tells the story of his reign from 1378 to 1362 BC. In spite of attempts to eradicate all traces of his reign, enough exists to tell a story of incest, heresy, androgyny and a massive cult of personality.
Published February 25th 1999 by Serpent's Tail (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Akhenaten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akhenaten

Nikki
I like poetry but it really depends on the style and what the author is trying to convey as to whether I will enjoy it. Considering my rating it is easy to guess that I did not like the author's style or what she conveyed. Granted Akhenaten was likely a megalomaniac, I mean he started a singular deity religion in Ancient Egypt of all places. And yes many royal families throughout history, including AE, had incest and twisted family lines. But holy shit the way in which Porter wrote it all was di ...more
Rhiannon
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
if only I could write half as well! such a captivating writer!
Maureen
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sunny Naicker
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first verse novel I had ever read as a fresh faced 18 year old at Newcastle University, Australia in the mid 2000's. This work sunk under my skin, the words never left me; Porter became something of a literary hero of mine after this and I sometimes find myself rereading portions of this book all these years later since it reminds me, rather strangely, of the sameness of humanity, even across millennia and even when shrouded in strange ways of being.
Margaret
This is possibly the weirdest book I have ever read.

A telling of the life of Akhenaten in verse by Australian poet Dorothy Porter.

Her arrangement of Ahkenaten's Hymn to the Aten is beautiful. But in her other poems I found the use of somewhat, and very obscene language, lessened my enjoyment of the poems.
Sereyna

you will come together
on my hot breast

you will know me
you will know God.
- p. 29 (By Royal Decree)

*sigh* divine
MaryG2E
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the verse novel format. Porter was a master of the long form poem.
Many aspects of the story were interesting. I had some issues with the handling of the incestuous relationship between the pharaoh and his female relatives. (I believe this was commonplace in Ancient Egypt, but...)
Stu
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was Dorothy's first verse novel, and she maintained it was her best. I agree wholeheartedly.
Wattleandgum
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, poetry
Probably my favourite book. Beautiful, emotional, lovely.
Buddy
I haven't thought about ancient Egypt in a while! Verse fiction is amazing, please recommend more verse fiction.

Warning for child sexual abuse.
Carmelita
Sep 13, 2013
Robert Ribbons
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Eminent Australian poet. A rare proponent of the verse novel. Winner of The Age Book of the Year for poetry, and the National Book Council Award, for her verse novel The Monkey's Mask. She was awarded the Christopher Brennan Award for lifetime achievement in poetry in 2001.
More about Dorothy Porter