Start by marking “The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp, #1)

The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  16,701 Ratings  ·  634 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling adventure about two twins, many djinns, and one very magical quest.
Meet John and Philippa Gaunt, twelve-year-old twins who one day discover themselves to be descended from a long line of djinn. All of a sudden, they have the power to grant wishes, travel to extraordinary places, and make people and objects disappear. Luckily, the twins are i
Published September 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Akhenaten Adventure, please sign up.

Bernadette I'm pretty sure you can, but I think you should try and find a website that works for you.. Maybe Amazon or a bookwebsite you're familiar with? :)…moreI'm pretty sure you can, but I think you should try and find a website that works for you.. Maybe Amazon or a bookwebsite you're familiar with? :) Google it :)(less)

James Trevino
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
After a few more challenging reads I felt the need for a palate cleanser and this worked just fine.

TAA might be the most British book I've ever read, from the style to the characters to the humor. But I can't complain about that. The writing is impeccable and you can really feel the magic of this world P.B.Kerr created.

The world building and mythology are excellent, even though that is a two edged sword. While I loved all the interesting little facts, the book felt like setup for the most part.
Katri
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I found this an entertaining, quick-to-read adventure book, and the central idea, that some people in the modern day world are djinns of the ancient legends whose task is to protect the world, is nice enough. But the plot solutions were too facile and convenient, and so it was not really as exciting and fun as it could have been. However, what bugged me the most was the attitudes the author showed, through the narrative and the attitudes of the characters, towards, well, pretty much anything tha ...more
Colleen
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a really cute book. I will definately let my daughter read this book when she is older. I've seen some criticism's about the issue of smoking in this book. In the book, the reason why Djinn smoke is because they are made of fire and they like heat and smoke. But the character, Nimrod, clearly states in the book that smoking is fine for Djinn but terrible for humans.

"But isn't smoking bad for you?" Objected John.
"It's terribly bad for human beings, yes. But not at all bad for djinn."

Person
Ordinary Dahlia
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huaaaa...kalian bisa belajar banyak tentang dunia jin!
Misalnya kek gini :
- Jin baik namanya marid sedangkan jin jahat namanya Ifrit atau iblis *lirik lelembut hippo,rada2 mencurigakan memang!*

- Kalo jin masuk ke tubuh mahluk hidup, mereka harus menyediakan parfum karena pas balik ke tubuh semula, bau makluk hidup yang ditumpangi bakal nempel di badan (apalagi kalo u masuk ke tubuh unta, disarankan mandi parfum aja!)

- Kalo u berhasil mensegel ifrit (dalam hal ini memasukannya dalam botol ato kal
Danielle Parker
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though I’ve read thousands of books, the ones I discovered as a youngster are special. They’re like beloved relatives, worthy of a hug every time and fondly remembered. Yes, sure, now I’m too old for Journey to the Mushroom Planet. But it still gets a messy kiss from me. I can still vicariously enjoy the wonderful summer vacation of the children in Arthur Ransome’s famous Swallows and Amazons. E. Nesbitt and Edward Eager and their magic games. Alan Garner’s and Lloyd Alexander’s Celtic and Welsh ...more
John
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The book, inspired clearly by Harry Potter if not Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books, was ok. The two protagonists, a set of twins who discover that they are djinn with magical powers, felt cookie cutter and never really seemed to break out of the mold.

To make things worse, there were a fair number of xenophobic comments spread throughout the book, the French receiving a good number of shots (hygiene being the number one thing attacked) though Egyptians were not far behind.

Coming at the book wit
Book Elf
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Have you read the Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan? It was like reading that but at the same time nothing fancy like that~ because i like this one better! I liked how it was written (I dunno, i really liked how UK writers write). It was like in the same boat as Red Pyramid, being Cairo and travelling in London and other parts of the world but not in a very hectic manner like Rick Riordan's throwing all information to you that you were sick of it and you cannot take it anymore.

This story was a fresh
Apr 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Two american children find out that they are actually Jinn (or Genie) and set off to London to help out their Uncle, er, Nimrod.

Not a bad book, slightly action-adventurish, but spolied by stilted writing and a quite bizarre hatred for the French, which might be ment to be humerous, but instead comes off as quite xenophobic.

The former might be because the author tends to write for adults and was trying to write "down" for children - the latter, I have no explaination for, unless his English-Sco
Drew
Feb 21, 2015 added it
Shelves: dnf
I didn't finish
Asriani
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Semua hal yang tidak mungkin terjadi di dunia nyata dengan mudah terwujud di dunia fantasi. Tidak heran jika ratusan cerita bahkan mungkin saja kini jumlahnya mencapai ribuan bermunculan. Imajinasi setiap orang dengan dibiarkan bebas menciptakan karakter demi karakter yang dilengkapi dengan keistimewaan yang mengundang decak kagum.

Setidaknya semua yang saya tuliskan diatas ada pada karakter di buku ini. Lihat saja Layla, wanita cantik yang menikahi Edward Gaunt, seorang pria baik hati dan kaya
ABC's of the Children of the Lamp 10 9 Nov 09, 2014 03:34PM
So incredibly cool! 11 30 Nov 06, 2014 04:40PM
Mundane, Djinn, or Angel 1 4 Nov 06, 2014 04:26AM
All About Fantasy!: Children of the lamp (YA) 2 6 Oct 10, 2013 07:43PM
  • Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)
  • Hände weg von Mississippi
  • The Nine Pound Hammer (The Clockwork Dark, #1)
  • Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • The Sea of Trolls (Sea of Trolls, #1)
  • Gods of Manhattan (Gods of Manhattan, #1)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Shadow Thieves (Cronus Chronicles, #1)
  • Cave of the Dark Wind (Never Land, #2)
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • The Chase (Lionboy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • Iris, Messenger
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Erec Rex, #1)
  • The Revenge of the Shadow King (Grey Griffins, #1)
  • Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret (Leven Thumps, #2)
Also writes as Philip Kerr.

Philip Kerr (P.B. Kerr) is a British author of both adult fiction and non-fiction, most notably the Bernie Gunther series, and of children's books, particularly the Children of the Lamp series.

Kerr was educated there and at a grammar school in Northampton. He studied law at the University of Birmingham from 1974–1980, achieving a masters degree. Kerr worked as an adverti
More about P.B. Kerr...

Children of the Lamp (7 books)
  • The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2)
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • The Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp, #4)
  • The Eye Of The Forest (Children Of The Lamp, #5)
  • The Five Fakirs of Faizabad (Children of the Lamp, #6)
  • The Grave Robbers Of Genghis Khan (Children Of The Lamp, #7)
“May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past.” 21 likes
“And tell them all about the books you've read. Better still, buy some more books and read them. That's an order. You can never read too many books.” 13 likes