Start by marking “Iced in: Ten Days Trapped on the Edge of Antarctica” as Want to Read:
Iced in: Ten Days Trapped on the Edge of Antarctica

Iced in: Ten Days Trapped on the Edge of Antarctica

-The Antarctic Factor: if anything can go wrong, it will. It's basically Murphy's Law on steroids...- --Chris Turney

On Christmas Eve 2013, off the coast of East Antarctica, an abrupt weather change trapped the Shokalskiy-- the ship carrying earth scientist Chris Turney and seventy-one others involved in the Australian Antarctic Expedition--in a densely packed armada
Published September 26th 2017 by Citadel Press

To ask other readers questions about Iced in, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iced in

Start your review of Iced in: Ten Days Trapped on the Edge of Antarctica
LibraryCin
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author, Chris Turney, gathered together many people in 2013/2014, mostly scientists, to travel to Antarctica to do some research. Antarctica is a dangerous place, as the weather and ice conditions can change in a heartbeat. This group was lucky enough to start off with a number of good weather and ice days, but things quickly changed on Christmas Eve and they ended up locked in by ice.

This was really good. Turney also recounts Ernest Shakleton’s story of being trapped 100 years earlier, so
Donna Hines
1400 miles from civilization trapped in horrific weather conditions on the Shokalskiy is this ship carrying earth scientist Chris Turney and 71 others in the Australian Arctic Expedition.
"The Antarctic Factor: if anything can go wrong, it will. It's basically Murphy's Law on steroids..." --Chris Turney
With the ship's hull compromised and the steerage gone the wind threatens to break apart what little remains.
The forecast is not on their side with more impending weather ahead.
The challenges these
Devyn
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads.

Iced in: Ten Days Trapped on the Edge of Antarctica is a grand adventure. A true story of ice and steel.
On Christmas eve, 1400 miles from civilization, the Shokalskiy's crew and passengers were celebrating while being held tight in mother nature's cold, ruthless embrace. The holiday's infectious cheer was only mildly dampened by a shadowy unease of their predicament. All was well and warm.
Outside, a bizarre raged.
An armada of colossal icebergs surrounded the v
Peg
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed reading accounts of Shackleton and his boat, Endurance, which led me to read this account of Chris Turney' s expedition to Antarctica; that and a co-workers recommendation. I admit I am not much of a non-fiction reader, but this book had me in its grip early on. The Prologue was but a tease for what was to follow.
His personal story was amazing. Comparing and contrasting it to the expeditions before him was enlightening. Antarctica is definitely a continent not to be taken l
Katy
Nov 04, 2017 marked it as physical_to-read_stack
I received my copy free through Goodreads Firstreads
David
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Good source material, but I wasn't particularly impressed. Draws parallels between their plight as a science vessel stuck in ice and Shackleton's Endurance, but I found myself wishing for more details about the survival and science rather than the importance of posting to youtube.
Josephine
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author sums up his exploit taking place in the most unforgiving part of our earth in 16 words...

Readers of history will like the way Turney has compared Shackleton, (1914-1917), and Douglas Mawson (1958) experiences in the Antarctic to the ship Shokalskiy's, (2013). We've all heard of Shackleton, but probably not Mawsen. He built huts in eastern Antarctica that are still there
Karen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I have always been fascinated by the cold places on our planet. They are frightening, and yet things live there. Polar bears in the Arctic. Penguins in the Antarctic. I have always wondered why any living thing would adapt to such a forbidding climate, and yet they do. We humans have tried but are generally sent packing eventually with our tails between or legs. We return to hearth and home. Back to places less wild and forbidding.

This book is about modern explorers, and yet hearkens back to th
Debra Jeakins
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ICED IN:TEN DAYS TRAPPED ON THE EDGE OF ANTARCTICA BY CHRIS TURNEY reads like a fictional tale of adventure,but let me assure you, this is NO fictional story. The author , his wife and two teenage children along with a crew, scientists, media and volunteers, encounter some of the most hostile weather on Earth and get stuck in an iceflow for ten harrowing days.

As I read ICED IN , I had to keep telling myself this is no fictional story where the main character breaks the ice with his bare hands a
Cassandra
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge admirer of Sir Ernest Shackelton, so when I saw this book I was excited to give it a read. I was so thrilled at how much Mr, Turney referenced Sir Shackleton and the voyage of the Endurance. I love how he used what he had learned from Sir Shackleton and used that knowledge to be such an effective leader to those on his expedition. Mr. Turney not only shared about the 10 days they were trapped in the ice, he explained the process of planning for the expedition including how Google hel ...more
Lissa
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Chris Turney helped lead an Australian expedition of scientists, volunteers and his family to the Antarctic Commonwealth Bay to conduct research on the nearby B9B iceberg and the effect it is having on the east side of the continent. Interspersed with accounts of the famed Shackleton expedition, this book mixes present day adventure with tales from the past. The most eye-opening parts of this book have to do with the effects of climate change and how it has already affected the continent. Since ...more
Sabrina Tardi
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an advance reader's edition for this review.

The past week I've been preparing for a trip of a life time and I never left my chair. Chris Turney has taken me through the steps it takes to get to the Antarctica. WOW! Amazing amount of work, dreams and research these brave people do to help the rest of us understand our world just a little bit more.

This book also touches parts of the challenges explorers Ernest Shackleton and Douglas Mawson faced years ago. I enjoyed this added story t
Cheryl
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
A somewhat interesting book about a modern day scientific voyage to Antarctica. The author, Chris Turney, was also the leader of this expedition. The focus of the book as you might expect from the title is the trouble the ship encountered getting stuck in the ice. Turney compares this situation with that of Shackleton’s Endurance voyage but I find that comparison to be faulty at best.

Read the original Shackleton book about his voyage and rescue. It is 10 times more thrilling and exciting.
Nancy Fink
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually like adventure books but couldn’t get excited about this one. The author compares his adventure and his leadership challenges with Shakleton’s experience and it falls way short. Almost 10 days surrounded by modern conveniences, medical care and a solid ship in constant communication with rescuers from several nations hardly makes for a nail biter. Throwing in tales of the historic year-plus the other team spent alone on the ice floe was supposed to make us feel how bad things could get ...more
Pam
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh MYYYYYY, what an interesting book. I have read and enjoyed a few things about Shackleton and his Artic Expedition. This is similar but oh so very different. Turney, family and crew had the hope of rescue that Shackleton and others did not have. This group had Twitter, Facebook etc...

This was a great read that was full of adventure, cold and suspense.

My thanks to Netgalley and Citadel Publishing for providing me with this advanced readers copy
Polly Krize
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a well written account of the questionable adventure of being stranded in Antarctica and the global attempt for rescue of group of scientists. With his family with him, Chris Turney feels as if he is in the footsteps of Ernest Shackleton, early Antarctic explorer, trying to survive against the powerful elements of nature. A good read.
Suzy
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked the way Chris Turney interspersed his experiences with the accounts from Sir Ernest Shackleton and their amazing tale. I found myself wanting more of Shackleton, so that will lead to another book. This was well-written, despite some annoying side conversations written in italics. It was a book that I enjoyed at the beginning, lagged in the middle, then couldn't put down at the end.
Sandy
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Chris Turney spends a lot of time on the Shackleton expedition, compared to which, being trapped on a ship for ten days with modern conveniences pales. I would have preferred it if this book spent more time on the modern day expedition that the book was supposed to be about. Although it was interesting some parts of the book dragged for me.
Paula
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gave a feeling for the many problems that can be faced by explorers. Liked his comparison of Shackleton's journey and his own.
Mark
Pio
Nov 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Strangers
  • The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
  • We Begin at the End
  • Hell Bay (DI Ben Kitto, #1)
  • Little Boy Lost (DCI Anna Tate, #3)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Empire Antarctica: Ice, Silence, and Emperor Penguins
  • The Other Family
  • Dark Pattern (The Naturalist, #4)
  • Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent
  • Antarctica: a biography
  • Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights
  • The Liar's Girl
  • Antarctica
  • The Last Crossing
  • The Ice Master
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #4)
  • The Impossible First: From Fire to Ice—Crossing Antarctica Alone
Professor Chris Turney is an Australian and British Earth scientist. He has recently completed a prestigious Australian Research Council Laureate Fellowship at the University of New South Wales. He has published over 170 research papers. At 44 years, Chris has been described by The Saturday Times (UK) as ‘the new David Livingstone’.

In 2013-2014, Chris led the Australasian Antarctic Expedition whi