Start by marking “Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church Leadership” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Biblical Eldership: An...

Alexander Strauch

Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church Leadership

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,647 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
In order to define biblical eldership, we must go back to the only God-given, authoritative source, the text of Holy Scripture. Church history demonstrates the disastrous consequences of drifting from the light of Scripture. This book fulfills the need for an in-depth study on the topic, based in the vast treasure of God's Word.
Published September 28th 1988 by Lewis & Roth Publishers (first published July 28th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Eldership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Eldership

Ben Zornes
In my years of being a pastor's kid, then a worship leader, and now training for pastoral ministry myself, I've only grown in my conviction that biblical church leadership is of utmost importance. Much of the spiritual deadness we see in the modern evangelical church is directly attributable to unbiblical leadership structures, or disqualified men in leadership, or both!

Strauch's Biblical Eldership is really a modern masterpiece of addressing what the Bible teaches on how God desires His church
Greg
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book on Biblical Eldership. The author has done a lot of research and study into this topic from numerous sources, there is a 28 page bibliography included for all those who read footnotes :-)

Strauch shows without a doubt how a Biblically based Christian eldership should function, justifying the books subtitle "An Urgent Call To Restore Biblical Church Leadership", in an age where it seems that anything "new" or "edgy" is best, Strauch draws us back to the Bible and shows why we
Peter N.
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent basic overview of the officer of elder. The strength of the book is the exegesis of various passages, such as I Timothy 3, 5 and Titus 1 on the office of elder. I also appreciated his sections on Acts 15, James 5:13-18 and Hebrews 13:17. I did not necessarily agree with all his conclusions, but his work on these passages provided a lot of food for thought. I would recommend it to anyone interested in being an elder.

I had two questions that he did not answer well. First, how much of
Steve Hemmeke
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Alexander Strauch has written a solid treatment of elders as they were meant to be by the Bible.

At least half the book is exposition of Scripture texts related to elders - a real strength. You need a team of multiple elders who are humble servants who can teach and apply Scripture to the flock in a caring and truthful way. I can see this book being a God-send to Baptist or non-denominational congregations that begin to realize they should have elders and wonder where to start.

It feels like the o
Jessica
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our church is in the process of transitioning to elders. Our pastor encouraged us to research for ourselves the biblical justification for eldership, which is what led me to this book. Strauch lays it out clearly that eldership is in fact biblical and provides scripture to support his claims. Very informative and biblically sound.
Chris Crane
This is a good book in defense of a plurality of elders in church leadership. My chief criticism would be he tends to overstate his case and make claims I'm not entirely sure are accurate (especially as it relates to the early church and eldership).
Michael
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book as a pre-eldership requirement. It was a thorough reading of every scripture verse(s) on elders (overseers, bishops, pastors). He clearly explains what the Bible says about qualifications and expectations of elders. This is not a practical book. It is not a book about how to be a better leader. This book is strictly exegesis on the scriptures related to Eldership. The author goes through the greek and hebrew, cultural context, and historical understanding. There is times ...more
Jason Vallicott
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biblical Eldership is a thorough exegete of the Biblical texts on Eldership. Today many elders function more like a board of directors leading a company than they do as those called to live like Jesus, teach sound doctrine, and refute false teaching.

Any elder or aspiring elder who reads this book will walk away with a sharpened conscience and a clear understanding of their weighty responsibility as leaders in the Church.
Steve Alde
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discipleship
Exceptional book. Strauch unpacks Scripture regarding church leadership and lays out the biblical instruction concerning pastors (elders, overseers, shepherds, stewards, etc.). The ineffectiveness of the modern western church can in part be attributed to the lack of understanding of biblical eldership. A must-read for church leaders and congregation members.
Justin
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whatever the reason you are looking into the topic of elders and eldership, start with this book. Excellent and comprehensive work on the subject that was a joy to read. You will leave this book with an understanding of the office and in my opinion convinced that a plurality of elders is the ideal way a church should be lead. Highly recommended!
Terah Eden
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on scripturally based Eldership

An excellent read for anyone in church leadership or anyone considering church leadership. It gives sound advice/ information that is biblically based.
Timothy Decker
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An important work, but over-hyped concerning its exegetical information. Mostly word studies with other exegetical and syntactical issues scattered throughut. But I am in agreement with the major views of this book!
Gus
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read with care - this will mess with your ideas around church leadership. The best thing I can say about this book is that it got me to go back to the Scriptures and find a firm conviction on how we "do" church leadership.
Matthew
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, ministry
Makes a compelling case for biblical eldership.
Justin
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good exegesis. I wish it had been a bit more practical.
Clayton Hutchins
Great basic overview of just about every NT text on eldership.
Colin Fast
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
An excellent resource covering the biblical basis for a plurality of elders with over half of it being exposition of the big texts on the subject.
Ernesto Alaniz
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the single greatest book I have ever read on church governance. After years of reading the Bible and knowing there was something there, but not having the time nor energy to take all that truth and ask the question; how did God intend the church to be led? I have always felt uneasy with the models I have seen used throughout my life.

The book is Biblical. It is well researched. It is well written. It is true. And I am thankful for it.
Pat
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elders, pastors and nominating committees
A good book although the author is much more theologically conservative than I am. Nevertheless, he has good insight on the eldership in the Protestant church and I learned a lot. The book was actually an encouragement. One area in which I feel he hit the nail on the head was with the idea of the super pastor. "There is a dark side to the super-pastor concept...many churches are lead by highly independent, domineering, egotistical men who desperately need accountability and balance. Furthermore, ...more
James
Feb 21, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i want to know more about eldership
Emmanuel Boston
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those pursuing pastoral ministry
Recommended to Emmanuel by: Pastor Dave Ley
Shelves: ecclesiology
Alexander Strauch writes an easy-to read biblical defense of eldership. The style is simple and easy to follow, though it is most helpful to read with a Bible open alongside for quick-reference as some thoughts can get clouded without seeing the biblical text right in front of you.

Book thesis: This book is intended to help clarify the biblical doctrine of eldership.
Thesis supported?
Yes, in part. There are some unprecedented conclusions, and some answers informed by personal bias rather than soli
Joshua D.
I'm not doing this review justice at all because I'm short on time, but here is my quick take. Zooming in on the pastoral work of individual elders, I think Strauch gives an excellent treatment of the Biblical texts. In particular, this book is helpful in liberating the idea of eldership from a "board of directors" kind of mentality, and pushing churches to think of their elders as shepherds and pastors. So that I liked.

But zooming out, I thought Strauch's ecclesiology was pretty weak. He believ
Sean
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Biblical Eldership", Alexander Strauch convincingly argues for a return to a New Testament-based model for church governance. Strauch provides a close reading of the New Testament texts that refer to church leadership (particularly in Acts, 1st Timothy, Titus, and James). From these texts, Strauch concludes that churches should be run by a group of mature, godly Christian men who are selected based on the qualifications provided in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1. Certain of these pastor-elders with ...more
Lindsay Kennedy
This is an excerpt. The full review can be found here:

Pastor/elders will of course profit greatly from this book, but even the churchgoer would benefit from understanding the elder's role and all the Scripture has to say about it - after all, the majority of the NT letters were written to the churches, not only the elders. Some will disagree with Strauch more than others dependent upon their view of church polity, but all could benefit from his exegesis an
Ted Harris
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Pastor should take the Elder/Leadership Board through this study. In turn, current elders need to mentor future leaders with this study. He clearly outlines what it means to be a pastor/shepherd/elder in the church.
Matt Carpenter
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-life
This book is a great explanation of why multiple elders are the biblical model of the church. There are a few things the author is too adamant on that are more informed by tradition than Scripture, but on the whole it is a sound corrective to the out of control congregational polity many churches practice today.

The first portion is topical and informs you of the type of leadership Scripture calls for in an elder. The rest of the book is biblical exegesis of the New Testament passages that refer
Hopson
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me awhile, but I finally finished this book. "Biblical Eldership" is a comprehensive look at the Scriptures' teaching on pastoral ministry. Strauch clearly and carefully argues for a multiple-pastor model, bolstering his position with a plethora of relevant texts. I found this book to be incredibly helpful in understanding the role, qualifications, and importance of pastoral ministry. Aspiring pastors should definitely read this book, in addition to all others who desire to grow in their ...more
Doug Dale
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, leadership
Alexander Strauch does a great job looking solely at the biblical text to define the role of elder (pastor/shepherd/overseer). There seem to be a lot of definitions or job descriptions of the role of elder in the church. It's good to be reminded of what the Bible describes for this role when describing the New Testament church and understanding how this needs to be applied to the church today. Ideas like plurality and the concept that terms like elder, shepherd, pastor, and overseer are synonymo ...more
Josh Miller
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very helpful for me in evaluating my own congregation's view of church governance. Coming from a traditional Southern Baptist background with the implied authority of a Single Pastor and a Deacon Board, Strauch has helped me see the necessity of leading our church in changing our governance to the biblical model of a plurality of elders. His book on Deacons (Minister of Mercy: The NT Deacon) was also very helpful in evaluating the true responsibility and role of the Deacon body wit ...more
Scott Head
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-themes
I found Strauch's Eldership book and its accompanying workbook to be thorough and sound. Its a fantastic resource to train candidates and express the serious nature of the office. Even if one is not in complete agreement with Strauch's theology, it is a thorough study worth the reader's efforts. The text is not merely peppered with prooftexts, but consists of exposition and thorough consideration. The workbook is actually challenging and causes one to think. I strongly recommend Strauch for elde ...more
  • The Shepherd Leader: Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
“When pride comes, then comes dishonor, but with the humble is wisdom” (Prov. 11:2;” 0 likes
“Authoritarianism is evil, anti-social, anti-human and ultimately anti-God (for self-deifying pride is at its heart), and I have nothing to say in its favor.11” 0 likes