Start by marking “Salt (Salt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Salt (Salt, #1)

Salt

(Salt #1)

Never leave home without salt.

Penelope is a witch, part of a secret society protecting humans from demon attacks. But when she was a child, a demon killed her parents—and stole her magic. Since then, she’s been pretending to be something she’s not, using her sister’s magic to hide her own loss, to prevent being sent away.

When she’s finally given the chance to join the
ebook
Published by Entangled: TEEN (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Salt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salt

Start your review of Salt (Salt, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I can't help but think this book should have been titled: Perfume: The Scent of a Witch instead of Salt (explanation to come). It might have been more appropriately titled Dirt, because it was just as dull.

This book wasn't terrible, but it was excruciatingly boring and the premise of the book is absolutely absurd. You could read the first 15% of the book, then skip ahead to the last 10% of the book without missing anything of vital importance.

In a nutshell, this is the plot: Penelope (Pen) is a
Giselle
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
I love witch stories. But this was not one of them. Penelope is a witch without powers - they were stolen from her and now she's dead set on hunting the demon who stole them. This sounds like it could be a fun, action packed novel, except all we have here is a girl who whines a lot and spends most of the book being boring and talking herself out of kissing a guy who apparently annoys her.

That is the gist of it. Exams, simulations, graduation, research, more research, coffee dates, research;
Carrie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Penelope is a witch but one without powers of her own. When she was younger a demon attacked and killed her parents and stole Penelope's magic. Penelope can only practice magic if she uses her family members to obtain the power from and they have to be within a certain distance for this to work.

In Penelope's world a witch without magic normally doesn't survive but Penelope did when her magic was stolen and now she is determined to find that demon and get her own powers back. When given the
Anne
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital arc of this book.

This was a witchy YA that kept me flipping the pages till the end of the book, so it definitely deserves all 4 stars.

Penelope was a child when a demon broke into her home, killed her parents, and drained her magic. She should be dead, but for some reason...well, she's not.
Wouldn't be much of a story if she was, right?
She also shouldn't be able to borrow her family's magic to cover up the fact that she doesn't have any of her
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lauren Kate and Michele Vail
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing and Netgalley.)
Penelope comes from a line of witches, and wants to be an enforcer – someone who deals with demons, but she just has one problem. Her magic is ‘cranky’ (temperamental).
Since witnessing her parents murders, Penelope is only able to use magic whilst within twenty feet and six inches of a family member, which makes becoming an enforcer difficult and dangerous, not that
Jena
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-boys
Review Posted at Shortie Says

Okay, so I admit when I heard the title of the book I was like “Salt? Huh?” but let me tell you this is one Entangled YA book you will not want to throw over your shoulder. Right from the start Salt is intense and attention grabbing. There were so many pieces of this book that I just absolutely loved. Believe me, this is a story you will not want to miss out on when starting your new year.

I absolutely adore the dynamic between our two main characters: Carter and
Booknut
'I believe the demon is out there, and it will make itself known sometime. I just have to wait for it all to come together.

I also believe Zac Efron will come to town and fall madly in love with me, so maybe I'm just too hopeful.'

Filled with kickass action, timeless humour and a feisty female with a mission, Salt is as addictive as it is magical.

There is nothing not to like about this book. The story twists and turns, keeping readers' minds occupied with a intriguing set of interlocking mysteries
Amalie Howard
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this book, and once I started, I could not put it down! It's full of action, great world-building, and characters that I couldn't stop rooting for. I love Pen and Carter--they're like the dynamic duo. There were so many laugh-out-loud moments, as well as twists and turns I didn't see coming. What a terrific debut! SALT has fun, it has sass, it has sweet romance. Read this--you won't regret it.
Emily Anne
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Salt was one of those books that didn’t end up wowing me, but I still enjoyed the story nonetheless. Penelope’s journey was a lot of fun, and I especially enjoyed the second half of the book!

I had a few problems with Penelope. The first being that her jokes were kind of, well, lame in the beginning. I rolled my eyes at Penelope quite a lot. However, by the end she grew on me. I actually found myself laughing aloud during the read, after I got past the beginning. The other quip I had about
Nasty Lady MJ
Jan 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Ugh, nothing really interesting about this one. I'm linking the reviews below:

My Blog

Booklikes
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
For this review and more, visit Such a Novel Idea.

I'm pretty much to the point now that I will pick up anything Entangled Teen puts out. I had the opportunity to review SEVERAL of their 2013 publications and each one just was a home run for me. So, I had high hopes going into this book.

Salt is a witch story, but it isn't some tired, overused paranormal story line. It's got depth and layers and a really unique premise. Penelope, our protagonist, is a witch (obvi). However, rather than casting
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Original Post: http://lilypondreads.blogspot.com/201...

My first impression of Salt was .. Oh Witches! got to have it!

Interesting story. I did almost give up on it because it started out a bit slow and there wasn't as much magic as I wanted.

Penelope is a witch and she is from a long line of witches that protect humans from demons and their attacks. But, when Penelope was little, a demon attacked and killed her parents. Somehow she survived the demon attack, but in the process that demon took her
Abbie
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review)

The blurb to Salt sounded interesting, but it turned out to be anything but.

It was slower than a tortoise in quicksand, and was as entertaining as watching paint dry. (Actually, watching paint dry would probably have been a bit more fun.)

The main character wasn't a very good one. In the first chapter, she's going on about how her nan always went on about keeping salt on her at all times...and then we find out that's she done
~Tina~
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I’m surprised how much fun I had with this book. I've always loved hocus pocus type books and I’m still kinda amazed how much I've grown to love demon lore, but I was really impressed with Salt. It has everything I look for a good paranormal escape. Its action punched, suspenseful, mysterious and has a romance that’s totally kissable.

Danielle Ellison’s writes an amazing debut novel. The concept may not be something exactly new but I still really enjoyed Ellison’s take on this genre and I
Nova Zaiden
View more content on my blog: Out of Time

I was initially excited to read a book that was thrilling, full of magic and well... fantastic.

This book let me down oh-so far. It was pretty much opposite to what I wanted. Instead of a strong character, I got...Penelope. I wanted an original plot and I got jumbled amount of cliches in pretty packaging. And instead of getting "magic" I got the witches' version of school with a few demon attacks here and there. Pretty much a letdown.

I was endlessly tired
Ruthsic
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy

When she’s finally given the chance to join the elite demon-hunting force, Penelope thinks that will finally change. With her sister’s help, she can squeeze through the tests and get access to the
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I never thought I'd actually find the time to read Salt. Actually, I was hesitant (mainly due to the fact I have 10+ books on le review queue)... even though I really wanted to read it because it seemed like a really good book.

I kind of gave in. I didn't regret it either, which would be second worse case scenario next to a DNF. And that would actually suck.

I'm probably Salt deprived though, and I don't mean SODIUM CHLORIDE, as much as like salty snacks. Yum.

In other words, I LOVED this book.
Aeicha
I was initially drawn to Danielle Ellison’s Salt because of its very Supernatural (the tv show) vibe (the author was clearly inspired by this show) and I thought it would be a very “me” book...it really wasn't -_-

Penelope, a young witch, is determined to hunt down the demon who killed her parents and took her magic. In her magical witch community, a witch without powers is pretty useless, but Penelope can tap into the power of her family, so her secret remains safe. Penelope is given the chance
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

SALT is a book that I think is either going to be loved or not so much. I could see things about it that will work for some readers but not others. For me, the story worked for what I wanted from it, and I didn't want to put it down. There were a couple of reasons why I couldn't give SALT a five star rating, so first I'll explain what didn't work for me before moving on to what did.
Shy The WidowMaker
Salt was a different type of read but one that I loved for multiple reasons. I love anything witch related and I like that we start this one out with a witch that is a little bit different. We start this book out by meeting Penelope who we learn is a witch but with limited abilities as in she can only do magic if her family is near her as she draws power from them or so she thinks. I loved the character of Penelope as you can tell she is just a teen trying to cope with a lot in her life right ...more
Kim
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

It had been awhile since I read a book about witches and I've never had a lot of luck with them, but that didn't stop me from requesting this one as soon as that gorgeous cover drew me in. The concept behind this book was intriguing, and I'm a sucker for a good YA paranormal, so I was really excited to this one. I enjoyed it, but it just fell a wee bit flat for me.

I liked Penelope. She made a great, strong female lead. I love a good kickass
Farrah
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely YA paranormal romance, Salt was a fantastic book. I really enjoyed reading it. From the magic, to the secrets, it was a wonderful read.

Penelope was a good heroine. She was strong and extremely determined. Nothing was going to stop her from getting her magic back. I liked her. I thought she was great.

Carter was also wonderful. This boy was so sweet and I totally adored him. He was very charming and he sure knew how to woo a girl. I thought he was perfect.

The romance was lovely. Penelope
Stacy
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: requested, netgalley
SALT was one of those books that you enjoyed reading but don't have anything to really say about it when its over. The circumstances surrounding Penelope's missing powers and her struggles to become what she wants was intriguing. The characters kept my attention and the ending left me happy. There were some points that left me a little bored but I would pick up a book 2 when it comes out.

* This book was provided free of charge from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
anne
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, paranormal
2.5 - It's okay. Kinda felt detached from the characters/story.
Lyssa Falcao
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Fast paced book. Great characters. Lots of magic, demons, love interest, terror. Worth the read. Wanted more about grandmother's life. I want to see where this story goes so I'll have to get book 2.
Katherine Paschal
Penelope is hiding a secret that could cost her everything: she does not have her own magic since a demon attack when she was a child that claimed the lives of her parents. She hides the truth from everyone, hoping that she can find a way to get her powers back. When she encounters a strange boy who seems to catch her every time she needs some help, she is curious about him. But regardless of his charm, Penelope has bigger problems, such as passing the Enforcer exam without magic and finding out ...more
Cassie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me on the edge of my seat and although I predicted what would happen, I thought it was a pretty good book overall.
Alex Latham
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 49 complete.
Mutmainna
First of all, I had liked the book cover that made me choose the book. But compared to the cover, the storyline and narration do not meet my expectations to that level. I mean, I can clearly see the talent of the author and the potentials in the book to mark it as a 4 or 5 star read, but sometimes the story lacked the amount of convincibility (did I coin that or such a word really exists?) and finesse required for deserving such a rating.

The plot is not bad, really. As I said, it has potentials.
Amy Fournier
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
I am always up for a good witch book, add in some demons, and elite demon hunting... sounded awesome!! Well, though I did enjoy it, it wasn't quite as fabulous as I wanted it to be. It was very predictable and the whole hot and cold thing with Penelope and Carter started to get old. I did like the story though. I just wished it had moved along better. I found myself getting bored of Penelope constantly thinking about wanting to kiss Cater, but being mad at him, or needing to focus on her ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Black Infinity: Discovery's End (Discovery Series Book 3)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Boxed Set (Magic Knight Rayearth, #1-3)
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • Girls Can't Be Knights (Spirit Knights, Book 1)
  • Red Horizon: The Truth of Discovery (Discovery Series Book 2)
  • The Ripple Trilogy: Books 1-3 of The Ripple Series
  • For Steam And Country (Adventures of Baron Von Monocle, #1)
  • Strange Toys
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Deviation (Clone Chronicles #2)
  • Generation (Clone Chronicles, #3)
  • Wyrd Blood
  • Little Girls Sleeping (Detective Katie Scott, #1)
  • Willow of Ashes (NecroSeam, #1)
  • Allied (Ruined #3)
  • The Sinners Series Trilogy: Books 1-3 of The Sinners Series: The Sinners Series
  • The Last Alchemist
Danielle Ellison is a nomad, always on the lookout for an adventure and the next story. In addition to writing, she’s the founder and coordinator of the NoVa TEEN Book Festival. When she’s not busy with books, she’s probably watching her favorite shows, drinking coffee, or fighting her nomadic urges. She is newly settled in Oklahoma (for now) with her cat, Simon, but you can always find her on ...more

Salt (2 books)
  • Storm (Salt, #2)
“Curiouser and curiouser," he says. I smile at the reference. Carroll was totally a witch. The secrets of our world are written into that book.” 2 likes
“The thing is heavy. --I'm talking the whole Harry Potter series put together heavy. Those are some great books. Totally inaccurate, but great.” 0 likes