Start by marking “Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide” as Want to Read:
Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide

Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar is an innovative reference guide to Mandarin Chinese, combining traditional and function-based grammar in a single volume.

Divided into two sections closely linked by extensive cross-references, it covers:

traditional grammatical categories such as phrase order, nouns, verbs and specifiers language functions and notions such as communication s
Published August 1st 2006 by Routledge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar

Mel
For the past four months I've been working my way through this grammar book on the weekends. I've found it to be a really good review. It's divided into two sections, one where the grammer and it's rules are laid out in the traditional manner for a grammar book, sentence structure, verbs, etc. and the second half is all based on situational structures, how to express things based on situation and context. I found the explanations quite easy. Though I think this was because there wasn't a great d ...more
Bryan James
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is how I imagined a beginner's grammar book is.
Tiffany Turner
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's difficult to find a really good Chinese language grammar book. This one is excellent.
Patrick
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: china
I finally finished this guide to Modern Mandarin Chinese grammar. I would say it is a very useful reference book for Level 2-Level 3 Mandarin Chinese learners, especially those who are trying to get an introduction to literary and formal Chinese. There is a very useful section on writing formal letters in Chinese and how to respectfully and appropriately address people of different relations to you and social status. It can be helpful for those trying to start reading news articles in Chinese, a ...more
Naomi
If you own only one Mandarin grammar, make it this one! Clear layout, with all examples given in simplified characters, traditional characters, and pinyin.

The first half is traditional grammar (nouns, verbs, classifiers, etc.); the second half is 'situations and functions' with sections such as 'asking questions and replying to questions', 'expressing identification, possession, and existence', and 'expressing desires, needs, preferences, and willingness'.

Extremely well written and useful.
Mathew Lui
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Great resource and many sentence structures for a variety of topics. The writing is a little too try for me; however the great thing about this text is that is uses both Simplified and Traditional Chinese characters. This is a huge plus for me who wishes to learn Traditional over Simplified.
Huyen
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Chinese is a pretty awful language but the grammar is relatively easy, phew!
Harold