Start by marking “The Biographies of Ordinary People, Vol. 2: 2004 - 2016” as Want to Read:
The Biographies of Ordinary People, Vol. 2: 2004 - 2016

The Biographies of Ordinary People, Vol. 2: 2004 - 2016

The Gruber sisters grow up in this second volume of The Biographies of Ordinary People, navigating jobs, friendships, and relationships in a constantly changing world.

The Biographies of Ordinary People is the story of the Gruber family: Rosemary and Jack, and their daughters Meredith, Natalie, and Jackie. The two-volume series begins in July 1989, on Rosemary’s thirty-fift
Kindle Edition
Published May 22nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Biographies of Ordinary People, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biographies of Ordinary People, Vol. 2

Start your review of The Biographies of Ordinary People, Vol. 2: 2004 - 2016
Cathy
The Biographies of Ordinary People, Volume 2 follows directly on from Volume 1 and covers the period from 2004 to 2016. Even the chapter numbers continue from the first volume. This is definitely not a sequel (the author originally envisioned it as one book but it got too large) and you would be missing an awful lot – in so many ways – if you decided to read it without having read the first volume.

In the first volume, the reader was immersed in the domestic life of the Gruber family, following
Ann T
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Nicole Dieker and Netgalley for an ARC of this book.

I enjoyed this follow on from volume 1 of the Gruber family, it was an easy, enjoyable read and I was happy to spend more time with the Grubers seeing where life took them as they were a little older.
Maura Elizabeth
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
“She appreciated the first half, with its examination of faults and forgiveness and the process of growing up, but she loved the second half, when each sister made her own way into the world.”

Meredith Gruber is thinking about Little Women here, but Nicole Dieker has echoed the same structure in volume 2 of The Biographies of Ordinary People. In volume 1, we met the Gruber family of Kirkland, Missouri—Meredith, her sisters Natalie and Jackie, and their parents Rosemary and Jack—and followed them
Megan Pizzini
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
💙💙💙

I love these books so much. I really relate to Meredith - all of her frustrations and little joys. I had a very similar upbringing and equally maddening family (you have to love them) so both of these book ring very true to me.
Mary
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so eager to read Volume 2 and I wasn't disappointed. This book captures the emotions of young adulthood very well...I found myself laughing and crying along with the characters, and I identified with bits and pieces of all of them. Definitely a series I will go back to to re-read
Gretchen
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this so much more than volume one - gone was much of the cringing (that I think was largely personal). Seeing all three daughters live out their independent lives was so satisfying.
Samuel
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fiction
Sad to say, this continuation (the author says it's not a sequel) is far less satisfying than the first volume, The Biographies of Ordinary People, Vol. 1: 1989–2000. Volume one spoke directly to my experience of childhood (though granted, it wouldn't speak that way to everyone). Volume two felt more heavy-handed and didactic, the characters seemed to be telling us how to think rather than how they thought. The differences between the characters seemed to be ironed out. While they made different ...more
Jessica
May 30, 2018
Megan
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this looks familiar, it’s because it’s a sequel to (perhaps unsurprisingly) Biographies of Ordinary People Volume 1: 1989-2000, which I reviewed earlier this year. When I read Volume 1, I felt that the characters were interesting and realistic, but that it was very much a character-driven novel. As the title suggests, it is supposed to be about ordinary people – not people whose lives look like soap operas. It wasn’t full of dramatic twists, but it did feel very real.

Then the author kindly of
Poppy
Jul 01, 2019

• A Modern Utopia
  • Erewhon (Erewhon , #1)
  • And Now We Have Everything: On Motherhood Before I Was Ready
  • Hey Ladies!: The Story of 8 Best Friends, 1 Year, and Way, Way Too Many Emails
Nicole Dieker has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade. Her work has appeared in Lifehacker, Vox, The Billfold, Popular Science, and more. The Biographies of Ordinary People is her debut novel, if you don't count the speculative fiction epic she wrote in high school.