Start by marking “Who Runs the World?” as Want to Read:
Who Runs the World?

Who Runs the World?

From the author of H2O—In a society where women rule and men are almost extinct, River discovers a dark secret that will change her world as she knows it…

Sixty years ago, a virus wiped out almost all men on Earth. Now women run the world, and men are kept in repopulation facilties, safe from the deadly virus. At least, that's what everyone has been led to believe…until Ri
Published June 1st 2017 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Who Runs the World?, please sign up.
Hannah Unfortunately not. This is genuinely a world where there is no crime or war because there are no men.
I seriously advise that you don't read it. I…more
I seriously advise that you don't read it. I have rarely been so angry in my life! (less)
Stella (stellasbookishworld) it's not feminism. and yes there are no men. If this really happened we would still have crime. anyway, if you're questioning reading this, just don't…moreit's not feminism. and yes there are no men. If this really happened we would still have crime. anyway, if you're questioning reading this, just don't read it. it's most definitely not for you.

Or anyone, that is.(less)
Forever Geek by Holly SmaleA Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara  BarnardWe Come Apart by Sarah CrossanThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliThe Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren   James
UKYA in 2017
123 books — 71 voters
What's a Girl Gotta Do? by Holly BourneAm I Normal Yet? by Holly BourneIt Only Happens in the Movies by Holly BourneThings a Bright Girl Can Do by Sally NichollsHow Hard Can Love Be? by Holly Bourne
Feminist UKYA
58 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
Man hate is not feminism.

I am so very angry right now.

ARC recieved via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I was so excited when I was approved for this on NetGalley and it's such a horrific letdown. This is pure man hate, it takes 78% for anyone to even dare to suggest that Mason might be a human and even then everybody other than our main character, River, disagrees. There is also talk that he belongs to a different species (and not in a jokey way- they are entirely serious when the
K.
Trigger warnings: attempted rape, murder, some super weird discussions of gender.

There are a lot of terrible reviews of this book. A lot of reviews claiming it's man-hating bullshit. A lot of reviews claiming that it's TERF territory. A lot of reviews claiming that the idea that crime would completely disappear in a female-only society. And to some extent I agree. But I also feel like a lot of those reviews got so caught up in being SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF that they kind of missed the point a litt
Kelly
Sigh. I had SUCH high hopes for this book and when I first heard about it I immediately requested a copy to review which I was lucky to get. I’m glad I did because honestly I probably wouldn’t spend my money on this book. I’m sure that some other people will love it but it just wasn’t really for me and I got to the end and just felt like the whole book lacked what I had been hoping for.

I thought the idea of a society where the world is being run by women after men have been wiped out by a diseas
Andrea
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
So many of the reviews for this book seem to utterly misunderstand it, so I thought I would offer some balance. While it was flawed, certainly, I thought Bergin was incredibly ambitious in what she tried to achieve and what I would really like to do is travel to her future and have a good look around in all of the corners we only glimpse briefly through the novel.

As I read it, Bergin was holding a mirror up to the world we occupy today, reversing gender roles with some exaggeration to make a po
☙ percy ❧
Jun 07, 2017 marked it as nein-nein-nein
my TERF radar is going off like a motherfucker.

that coupled with the unfavourable reviews, i don't think i'll be reading this.
Adiba Jaigirdar
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of dystopias where gender dynamics are flipped, fans of The Power, fans of Herland
I'm finding some of the reviews of this book slightly amusing - mainly the ones proclaiming that this book is 'man-hate' and the exact thing that men think feminism is. It's amusing because there are so, so many dystopian books where women barely exist except as love interest. Where women are total afterthought if even that. And these is popular, well-known dystopian fiction? Why are people not running around talking about how misogynistic it is that every time male writers re-imagine the world ...more
Lucy Banks
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Nat
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Finally have the emotional strength to write a review, this book is god awful. I thought it would be a delightful post apocalyptic feminist story based on the synopsis but it was ridiculously trans exclusionary and it refers to lesbian/bi gals in a disgusting manner. Idk how anybody could read this and take anything positive from it at all. It simplified feminism down to hating and fearing men. It’s a poor woman’s version of The Power - Naomi Alderman.

I read this sometime last year and it’s s
Clare Carter
*tbh probably 1.5 stars but I had fun writing this review so I'll round up*

So I'm going to preface this review by saying that I only read this book because my boyfriend and I were in Barnes and Noble and we had this brilliant idea that he would pick me out a terrible sounding book to read, and then I would write a review on it. As a joke. So. I didn't go into this with amazing expectations and lo and behold, this book didn't even meet those lol hELLPPPP.

Here is the report I wrote my boyfriend h
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
This was an okay-ish book set about sixty years from now where, following a global virus that wiped out all the male humans, women now run the world. And the world is a nicer place.

I was really intrigued to read this and it had a lot of promise but ultimately there was a bit too much waffle from the MC and not enough exploration of some key gender concepts.

I've read reviews where people have found this quite a man-hatey, rad-fem book. I can see why, I guess. The author has set up a world where
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 3/5

The XY is set in a futuristic village in the UK, during a time where society is almost exclusively formed by women. Men have become almost extinct due to a deadly virus that attacks the Y chromosomes in their DNA. They have not been seen outside of a sanctuary (a facility that keeps them isolated from the outside world) in over 60 years.

In the village, only the elders possess knowledge about the once-was (the time before the virus). Said knowledge gives them control and authority ove
Debbie Notkin
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is this year's Tiptree Award winner, and I was excited to read it.

In the end, I thought it was good enough. The main character's voice is excellent, and the post-apocalyptic worldbuilding is captivating. About two generations before the book begins, a virus kills almost all men and boys, and the remaining men and boys are put into "sanctuaries," where they can be protected from the virus and also produce sperm to keep the human race alive.

The world is, therefore, all female, and has c
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

The concept of this book intrigued me right from the start. A world without men? What would that look like?

I genuinely wanted to know. I wanted to see how Virginia Bergin thought the world would look without men. By erasing a gender, people are claiming this book explores gender neutrality and whatnot, but really…I don’t get it? At all. This book is not fem
Charon Lloyd-Roberts
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Well this was a chore to read, how can I sum up this dumpster fire?

Really despise when people go after men and tag them as if they're bad people because good god this book bangs you over the head with the exact thing oh and story! Story? Where art thou? Because you seem to be lost amongst this tripe.

Don't touch this book. I wish I could get back the time I wasted reading this book back and maybe erase it. I need a drink.
Lin
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, arc
This book is an atrocity for many different reasons, I can't believe it even got published... apart from being blatantly sexist and ill-conceived, it's also terribly written and poorly characterised. Just... don't bother with it. There's better books on the subject.
Madison
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, young-adult
The XY is a compelling and unique work of speculative fiction that asks the question, what if? What if a drastic illness reduced the population by half. What would the world look like? How would things have changed 60 years on? What if the half that was left to start over were all female? What if a young girl, who has only know life in this new era, met a boy, a strange creature she recognises only from history lessons? How would she treat him, how would it change her world?

River lives in a worl
Christa
Feb 22, 2019 added it
Shelves: owned-books, dnf
70 pages in and can't say I'm very intrigued to read more. DNF'ing for now, might pick it up again in the future.
Saloni
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn’t finish and honestly barely started. From the get go the writing seemed overly simplified to the point it was childish and read more like fan fiction than an actual book.
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant surprise! At first I was a little turned off by the style of the writing - it's told via first person protagonist narration, and at times you're overwhelmed by River's thoughts and fears. However, it quickly grew on me, possibly because it's so earnest and genuine.

The premise of this book was fascinating and original: 60 years ago a genetic virus wiped out most men on earth. The surviving men and any male children that are born are raised on reservations as a type of bubble
Carmen Haselup
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love books for the way they can drop a question into your mind, light a spark and leave you to examine it. Who Runs the World? by Virginia Bergin (Macmillan) is a book that does just that. It's a book that makes you think and, above all, question. What would it be like? What would I do? What do I believe?

'Welcome to the matriarchy. Sixty years after a virus has wiped out almost all the men on the planet, things are pretty much just as you would imagine a world run by women might be: war has en
Zj
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
*SPOILERS*

The premise of it sounds interesting "a world without men, where women have adapted themselves to survival without men", but the execution was terrible. It was confusing, badly written, with 2D characters, and little to no explanation for how things are the way they are.

The questions I have are:
If men don't exist, how are women produced?
What virus was it?
What's happened to the rest of the world?
What are the Sanctuaries?
Why did River help two males and then hate herself for it?
What d
Sharon
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
"They said that," he murmured. "They said you was lost without us."
"We are not lost," she said, calmly. "We are running the world."

description

Welcome to the Matriarchy - it's 60 years into the future, and women run the world.

From the Little Ones to the Teens, the Mummas and Grandmummas - there are only women. Men have been, for the most part, wiped out by a virus that women are immune to.

You can imagine 14 year old River's surprise, then, when she comes across a boy, Mason, in the woods. Who is he and ho
Beth Jones
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok

Doesn't this sound like such an interesting read? Unfortunately, I was disappointed once again. Part of me thinks I may be getting a little critical of books as I'm reading more, but this one actually doesn't have good reviews - and for good reason.

I had a lot of issues with this book. Some of them were just writing, language and plot holes. Some are deeper than that.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this one. I think I'll talk about the thing
Lorcan Redvers
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
To say this book was problematic is an understatement, although saying that I did enjoy it. As a trans man i was hesitant about the premise but i was surprised to find that the existence of ftm transgender individuals was acknowledged and mentioned a few times throughout the book. Despite this acknowledgment the existance of mtf individuals was completely ignored which is simply disgusting. I went into this book expecting no recognition for transgender people and it was almost worse the fact tha ...more
sallanvaara
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopia, young-adult
You know, I'm not even mad at this book as much as I'm mad at myself for spending an entire morning reading it. It wasn't even bad enough to be entertaining, mostly just really boring and poorly written. There were some interesting ideas buried under all the dullness, which I honestly did not expect going in, but not enough to redeem it. It was slightly less offensive than I'd anticipated, which is the highest praise I can give to this book. Okay NOW I think I'll try to stop hate-reading things.
Azra
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This has good foundations to be something good, in fact I thought the end may have been able to redeem itself a little, but it fell short. I feel like the story was building up to something great, I kept thinking that little bits of detail, that I thought were important, might come together, but the ending was very displeasing, I feel like there was no proper resolution to the story.
Faten Houjaij
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Honestly, there is no way I could possibly go through the torture that this book is. The writing style is just horrible, and what I grasped from the story wasn't very promising either.
I read about 20%, then skipped to the middle of the book and read a chapter. Didn't really feel like I lost anything, and it didn't get any better.

So nope. Just nope. I'm not reading this.
Megan
Honestly this book wasn't as bad as some reviews have made out and No, she doesn't find him naked in the woods then is suddenly in an airplane hanger, he's fully dressed and it's definitely over half way into the book before she even goes to the hanger and it's mentioned SEVERAL times WHY she goes and why it's there.
Lisa Nocita
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The XY by Virginia Bergin channels Beyoncé’s fan favorite chorus, “Who run the world?
Girls,” offering a different perspective to the utopia/dystopia genre. In this world, the males of the human race have been suddenly, inexplicably, and almost wholly, been struck down by a virus leaving a world populated by only women. Notably, a few males survive and are sent to sanctuaries where they must live a life of useful servitude, contributing to the continued repopulation of the planet. This is for the
Toni
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at page 105. Badly written, poor story.
Sci-fi Women: Freedom for All in Sci Fi? 29 84 Aug 23, 2018 05:27AM
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • Lottery Boy
  • Redwood and Wildfire
  • Julia Gillian And the Quest for Joy
  • Secret Keeper
  • You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton?
  • Our Eleanor: A Scrapbook Look at Eleanor Roosevelt's Remarkable Life
  • The Girl in Between
  • Wishbones
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • The Radiant Road
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Exiles (The Exiles, #1)
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Blood & Flowers
  • dotwav
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • Killer of Enemies (Killer of Enemies, #1)
Author of the H2O duology (H2O and The Storm) (UK titles: The Rain and The Storm), and The XY (UK title: Who Runs The World?).

Born 1966 in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK. I studied psychology and (briefly) fine art/film and video at university. I have had lots of different jobs – so many I’ve lost count – including writing tv documentaries and online education projects. I live on a council estate in Br