Start by marking “Managing Pain Before It Manages You” as Want to Read:
Managing Pain Before It Manages You

Managing Pain Before It Manages You

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews

Imagine finding a way to spend less time in doctors’ offices, and to decrease the discomfort, depression, and anxiety associated with chronic pain. Managing Pain Before It Manages You offers just that--a program to help you reduce your pain and learn coping skills to get your life back. Developed over the author’s many years of working with chronic pain sufferers, this pro

Paperback, Revised Edition, 222 pages
Published November 30th 2001 by The Guilford Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Managing Pain Before It Manages You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Pain Before It Manages You

Kit
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
KINDLE USERS BEWARE

I have no idea whether or not this.book is worthwhile. Unlike any other of the several thousand books I've read on Kindle, it opens with impossibly small print, the size of which can't be changed
Robert Foege
A good first book for anyone with chronic pain. It provides a basic education on the physiology of pain, and offers cognitive behavioral therapy tools and medical meditation in the Herbert Benson/ Relaxation Response tradition. Some will find parts of it too touchy-feely and simplistic (e.g. draw a picture of your pain), but then again the technical parts will challenge the understanding of readers without a medical background. The basic premise is: you're in pain, it may not go away soon or eve ...more
Jeremy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work

Ch 3
muscle relaxation when thoughts are distressing
walking w/2 steps per breath

Ch 4
uptime: time it takes for pain to increase 2 points
downtime: time to return to baseline

Ch 6
downward arrow: what's so bad about x, what am I afraid of > if that happens, what's so bad about that? > etc

Ch 9
categories of coping skills: physically focused, emotion focused, problem focused (problem-solving)
heather
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with chronic illness
Recommended to heather by: my pain doctor
Honestly, one of the best books about chronic pain and its psychological and philosophical impact. It is pitched at an accessible but not condescending level. I didn't do any of the workbook exercises, but reading it was therapeutic and most self-help books make me want to puke or just make me feel disheartened because they don't comfort me.
Christine Mikel
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of a chronic pain program and I found the exercises and the stories to be helpful. Not everything pertained to me, but there definitely was something for a wide range of patients to glean information from. I have a feeling that I'll be referring to it for the rest of my life.
Jenny Cox
Mar 26, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, it's very readable. Has lots of useful information that everyday people can use to better understand and control chronic pain.
Donna
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're in pain, this is a must-read.
Jaclyn
Offers interesting facts and suggestions without belittling reader or undermining the reader's intelligence.
Dodie Reed
This is an excellent book for those that are trying to find relief from any kind of chronic pain. I go back to it again and again for reviews of various types.
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who have chronic pain
Recommended to Jennifer by: the library
Shelves: owned-books
i love this book.i want to own it the only thing that would make it perfect is if it was a two part book...the information in one and a workbook...thanks for writing this....
Jodi Sousa
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
offers a mind/body path to dealing with chronic pain.
Patricia
Feb 02, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Another component of a four-pronged approach to help me cope with living in chronic pain.
Lucy Burnett
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book offers a lot of treatment options as well as a recommendation to living a healthy lifestyle. I'm making adjustments to the way I live because of this book!
Gabriella Robles