Start by marking “Innamorarsi in un giorno di pioggia” as Want to Read:
Innamorarsi in un  giorno di pioggia

Innamorarsi in un giorno di pioggia

Joy sa poco di sua figlia Kate, e ancora meno della nipote adolescente Sabine. Ma tutto cambia quando Sabine viene mandata dai nonni in Irlanda, in quella stessa casa da cui, anni prima, sua madre Kate era fuggita, portandosi via Sabine neonata. Le tre donne si ritrovano così per la prima volta riunite sotto lo stesso tetto, costrette ad affrontare i segreti del passato ch ...more
Paperback
Published October 2016 by Mondadori (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Innamorarsi in un giorno di pioggia, please sign up.
Anna Rubini Letteralmente tradotto è Pioggia Prottetiva oppure Pioggia di Protezione.
Letteralmente tradotto è Pioggia Prottetiva oppure Pioggia di Protezione.
puo' darsi che sia un senso figurato. Il libro è nella mia lista di libri da leggere forse allora sapro' cosa intende l'autrice con questo titolo.Il titolo dell'edizione Italiana FOTO DI FAMIGLIA ha un significato del tutto diverso.(less)

Start your review of Innamorarsi in un giorno di pioggia
Mekerei
This novel started with promise, I wanted to know what happened with Joy's and Edward's marriage. It seemed very romantic that they were engaged after meeting just once.

However the novel focuses on Sabine, Joy's sulky grand-daughter, whose has been exiled to Ireland by her self-centered mother.You should feel sympathy for Sabine, but I couldn't.

I had to force my-self to finish this novel. If this was the first novel I had read by Jojo Moyes it would have been the last. Me Before You ha
Kate
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, very emotional, I loved the characterisation and I really felt for everyone. Cried several times, even at happy bits, also got goosebumps and thought one of the leading men was verrrrrryy sexy.....
This is the third book of her's I've read in a month and I think Jojo Moyes might be my new favourite author.....
Beth (bibliobeth)
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have become a huge fan of Jojo Moyes work ever since reading her fantastic novel Me Before You and have made it my mission to read her back catalogue. This is why I was particularly excited to read her debut novel Sheltering Rain which was first published in 2002. This is a novel about three generations of women – Joy who spent many of her formative years in Hong Kong in the 1950′s which is also where she met and married her soldier husband Edward. They had perhaps what could be called a whirl ...more
Jessica
Some novels are flashy, bold and obvious. The characters rush to the forefront, the plot unfolds quickly, laying down the story in such a way that the reader is satisfied with little effort or attention on their part. I often enjoy books like that, romances and dramas, fluffy and formulaic... Books like that are easy. They are entertaining, and they certainly have their place.

"Sheltering Rain," as it turns out, does not fall into the above category of fiction. It is not flashy. It is
Barb
I chose this book for my 2014 Book Bingo challenge, for the square "the first book of a favorite author". I've read quite a few novels by Moyes and I loved "Me Before You" so she comes as close to a favorite author as anyone else does.

Kate's going through a bit of a rough patch and decides to send her sixteen year old daughter, Sabine, to stay with her parents in Ireland while she sorts things out. Her mother and father, Joy and Edward, take Sabine into their home despite the fact th
Allen Grace
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real love that survived the slings and arrows of fate that soared, like some kind of 1950's Romeo and Juliet, above the petty and mundane. The kind of love you read about in books, that inspired songs, that lifted you like a bird yet stood solid, like a monolith, vast, all-encompassing, enduring. . .

Sheltering Rain is deeply moving and yet unnervingly depressing. It makes me feel depressed anyway even if it's not depressing. I love Jojo Moyes but this is not one of her best. Let me clarify things first, I di.
Sheltering
Jae
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this novel as a ready-made fan of Jojo Moyes' work - and I was aware of this being an early work. Perhaps I was über-aware but I do think it shows, which of course makes me reflect upon my first and second novels and how to avoid the tell-tale signs. What was it I didn't like so much? Difficult to pinpoint but there was a faint thread of over-egging and trying a little too hard. That said, I enjoyed the characters and kept reading as much out of respect for the author as out of a desire ...more
Maggie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. I kept waiting for the story to start, it just seemed like a general background story on a family who had become disjointed, the reasons why we were not really given enough information on.

Without wanting to give anything away, the story behind the photograph is all too easy to guess and no surprise at all really, but again the story never developed. Sabine was your typical teenager, Kate came across as a weak woman who jumped in and out of relationships without a secon
M
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I saw someone post this on GR and thought, oh, I like Maeve Binchy, and this is meant to be similar. Yeah, well, I am offended on Maeve's behalf - she is, I think, the most misunderstood author ever. I couldn't read past twenty pages, where we already had the too perfect and above her time heroine with her silly shallow friends and judgemental parents and then cue the dark brooding hero who will propose to her ... on the same day he meets her??? Yeah. We're done here.
Kelly
If I had liked the characters more, this would have been a 4 or 5 star read. I do really enjoy Jojo Moyes books and the intertwined storylines.
Pamela
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sabine Ballantyne hates Kilcarrion. When her mother breaks up with her live-in boyfriend for a new beau, she sends 16-year old Sabine to live at her grandmother's horse farm in Ireland. At first, Sabine hates Kilcarrion. She hates the musty old rooms and the rigid rules and her really old grandfather and her grandmother, who seems to care more about her horses than her family. But when she discovers a box of her grandmother's old photographs, she begins to bond with her grandmother and get adjus ...more
Laurel-Rain
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three generations of women—mothers and daughters—are the core characters in "Sheltering Rain"; we join the first of them in 1953, in Hong Kong, where young Joy and her best friend Stella are waiting to listen to the coronation ceremony of Elizabeth II. On that same day, Joy meets a young man, a naval officer, named Edward Ballantyne, and before the day is out, the two have pledged themselves to one another.

Leaping forward to 1997, in Ireland, we first meet Sabine Ballantyne, Joy and
Lisa
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Jojo Moyes I have read and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it; I liked the intrigue in it that we were drip fed throughout; the characters were fully fleshed and realistic; I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of life in Hong Kong and the accurate portrayal of life in the 50's. Jojo has depicted a story of different loves, passions and heartbreaks with empathy and warmth.
Zoe Hall
Jan 30, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Maybe in the future I'll come back to this book. At the moment it's a Did Not Finish. I couldn't connect with it. I found the narrative slow and the characters boring. It's a shame because some of JoJo's recent books have been great :(
Tsippora
This turned oit to be a pretty easy going feel-good book. Didn't expect too much when I started but was pleasently surprised.
Nancy Gentile
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of love and then betrayal on Edwards part. A depiction of how life isn't what it looks like on the outside. You never know how someone is hurting unless they let you into their life. An emotional book. Each character brought a new feeling either of sadness or joy. The ending with Joy, Kate and Sabine, three generations of which each has a flawed background, but are ready to put the past behind and move forward. A feel good ending with the scrap of paper handwritten by Joy that her grandd ...more
Nick
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three generations of women are the core characters in "Sheltering Rain", beginning in 1953 in Hong Kong, with engaging descriptions of life in Hong Kong and the portrayal of expat life in the 50's.
It is an intriguing story as it comes together, and the characters were very credible, and well defined. This is my first Jojo Moyes book and I enjoyed it!
With shades of Maeve Binchy, this was a nice gentle read for a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I will be looking for more of Jojo Moyes books
Nicki Gibson
Definitely not JoJo Moyes best work. This book was really hard to get in to as it just constantly jumped around. It felt like a lot of effort reading it. The story definitely improved in the last quarter, however the ending was rather disappointing it felt like a last minute ending just to finish it off.
Disappointed overall as I normally enjoy her work.
Leighellen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Thought this was a really great "summer read". Easy to follow story, interesting relationships and conflicts between multi-generational mother/daughters. Gorgeous setting and I loved the way it flowed back and forth between present day and history. It made me really wish I had sat down with my Grandmother before she died to get her story written down. The elderly among us were young once!!
Heather Alderman
Jojo Moyes is one of my favorite authors, so I was excited to pick up and read her first novel. Unfortunately, I found it a bit slow. It started out strong, but started to drag about a third of the way through for me. I ended up skimming the last half. I enjoyed the writing and the setting and the minor characters, but got bored with main characters.
RJ
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to get into. The grandmother, Joy, just didn't seem to have Moyes typical likable characteristics. The daughter, Kate, was just annoying. The granddaughter, Sabine, became likable as she was given more voice.
A solid 3.
Vanessa Mozayani
The story of three generations and their differing experiences with love. Joy, who finds love with a naval officer in the 1950s, Kate, her daughter who has just broken up with her latest partner and her daughter Sabine, sixteen years old and trying to find her way in the world. A lovely light read.
Hend Hegazi
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The way Moyes uses language leaves me in awe. Scenes jump off the page and characters come sit beside you on the couch. Beautiful writing and a touching story about your normal dysfunctional family, and the way those close to us are our home.
Julie
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best work, but not her worst either. Interesting dynamics between the characters. Ended abruptly, almost forced
Maegan
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragged a bit at times for me.
Gina Moltz
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Family love and drama

Three generations of women, trying to figure out life. Great characters- I cannot think of one I didn't love! Lovely storylines. A very satisfying read
Dreadymorticia
Decent summer read
Ruth Ellis
Along audio book but enjoyable
Rita
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
as with other books by this author, love the characters I was not so thrilled with the ending....I did love the relationships that deveoped cross generational... very easy almost predictable read
Steph Vaughan
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Just OMG!!! amazing!!! Honestly, a fab read. Have said that I loved the characterisations, and were awesome from the beginning, and I wasn't disappointed. LOVED this book :)

• Hotel du Barry
  • The Legacy of Hartlepool Hall
  • The Pi**ed-Off Parents Club
  • Birthright
  • The Hour Before Dawn
  • The Colonists (The Australians, #6)
  • Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

Sh
“I never really cared what anyone thought of me until he came along, ” she said. “And now, I can’t believe it’s me he’s chosen. Every morning I wake up and thank God that he did. Every night I go to bed praying that time will go that much faster so that I can be with him again. I think all the time about what he’s doing , who he’s talking to. Not in a jealous way , or anything. I just want to be closer to him, and if I can imagine what he’s doing, then that helps.” 3 likes
“And she deserved it, didn’t she? She had told herself, desperately trying to rationalize the hurt she was about to cause. She was allowed another chance? Why should she have to give up on romantic love at the age of thirty-five?” 0 likes