Start by marking “The New Wolf (Building The Pack, #1)” as Want to Read:
The New Wolf (Building The Pack, #1)

The New Wolf

(Building The Pack #1)

A dangerous lone wolf is intent on destroying the beginnings of a pack and when Connor is attacked, and near death, there is only one thing that can save him. A wolf shifter’s bite.

N.B. Originally published through Extasy Publishing, this edition features the same story with new cover art.

After a hate crime leaves one of them near dead, Veterinarian Josh Nolan and Co

Published January 16th 2017 by Love Lane Books Ltd (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The New Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Wolf

Jaime

The New Wolf is a story set in the town of Black Creek which is a remote town on the edge of the Green Mountains range, Vermont. When this book starts we meet our MC Josh Nolan who is a veterinarian and his partner, Connor Vincent who is a cop and recently hired at the Black Creek Sheriff's department. These two are beginning a new life in Black creek are starting a new life in Black Creek, after Connor was hurt on the job. Josh has since bought out his grandfathers veterinary practice and the
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
A Short book, that feels incomplete, I had lots of questions that will go unanswered *sad face* BUT, Josh and Conner are adorable❤
A Girl Has No Name
2.5 stars rounded up to 3!

I am usually not a big fan of shifter stories. One look at the wolf’s mate is most of the time enough to result in rushed insta-love stories leaving no room to relationship development. The blurb for this one sounded thus quite promising considering that Connor and Josh are already in an established relationship. Connor, being a cop and Josh working as a vet has been a further plus – two professions I really like to read about.

And The New Wolf wasn’t bad, but it was w
LaShonta
This did not feel like a finished story at all. The beginning of the story seemed like the middle. It would've been nice to have more backstory on Connor and Josh. I did enjoy them as a couple and loved that they were already established. I'm just saying a little backstory would have been nice.
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

After first reading the blurb for The New Wolf I mistook it for something that was like a book 2 or a book 3. When I saw that this was just the first book, I was hesitant to read on. I did not want to get disappointed. Well, I was curious, a big fault of mine. I realized as I was around 80%, I felt like I was reading something that started in the middle and by the end, it was like it ended somewhere in the middle.

The story of Josh and
Peter Todd
Sep 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have realized for awhile that Scott has been churning out product and not paying enough attention to the result, but this one is the final straw for me.

I am surprised to see that this title had a publisher, because it certainly didn't have an editor. This is the kind of quality that I would expect from a self-published no-name, not three relatively well respected authors. Scott has written several books that I enjoyed a great deal, though nothing recently. Hecht and Kell are not my favorites b
jules0623
2.5 stars. Too short. While it wasn't a bad read, it could have been a great read with a little more emotional connection (People die. I didn't care.) and character development. This is a common problem with Scott's latest books and, at four or five bucks a pop, it's becoming tiresome. I'd much rather one or two books a year that are well written and thoughtfully plotted and characterised than several books that are short and forgettable.

I might give the other 2 stories in the series a read, al
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
3 1/2 - 4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Josh and Connor have moved to the small town of Black Creek to start afresh after a hate crime in the city nearly cost one of them their lives, Josh takes over his deceased grandfathers veterinary clinic and Connor is starting over in the sheriff's office. Connor becomes interested in a series of unsolved crimes going back over fifty years that are attributed to the Black Creek Creeper and decides to try to solve some of them. But there is a
Lila Hunter
Rating: 3.5 stars

More of an introduction to a series than a full story, but I enjoyed the world-build and the relationship between Josh & Connor.
Achim
What can I say, I liked the start with it's old fashioned temper and having an established couple as its core isn't a bad thing for a change. Josh and Connor moving from the big city into a small village where Josh is buying into the veterinarian clinic of his deceased grandfather and Connor as his husband is starting newly as a deputy.

There are no problems with being a gay couple in a small town which is good because one of the reasons for the move was a hate crime still showing by a scar on C
Jane A
I'm surprised I liked this story actually. I read a few reviews before choosing this book. I usually only read books with 3.5 or more stars, so I didn't have high expectations for it. I'm glad I still read it. It was on the short side, but I didn't really have the feeling that the story started in the middle. It's true that it would've been better if the story started with the couple living in the city and how the attack happened, or even how they met. I liked the mystery in the beginning when C ...more
Rachel Emily
I agree with others that this read as an unfinished story. I know it's just the first book, so I will definitely read the second one. This author hasn't let me down yet, I always enjoy her stories! I really liked that it was an established couple and then having to deal with wolf shifters.
Cadiva
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Ends rather abruptly but has some good world building

I liked this intro to a shifter series written by three different authors. RJ Scott is an author I'm familiar with and this has all the hallmarks of her writing.

There's good world building and sense of place for the characters, there's little hints and tips about just what might be going on and there's a steady relationship at the heart of it.

I did get a bit cross halfway through but that was because something happened to one of the secondary
Christine
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, m-m-read
Not a great read but not a bad one either, just kinda meh. I usually love this author but this one just didn't really call to me.
ButtonsMom2003
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exciting shifter story!

This is the first shifter story I’ve read by R. J. Scott and I loved it. It’s a short novella but it sure packs a punch.Connor and Josh moved to the country so that Josh could take over his grandfather’s veterinary practice. Connor was a detective before they moved and now he’s a deputy sheriff – quite a change from the fast-paced job he was used to.

Josh is concerned that Connor isn’t happy in their new home and when he begins acting strangely Josh fears that it may be the
Joyfully Jay
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

Let me start by saying, I liked The New Wolf just fine. I’m all about wolf shifters, and when I read the blurb, I was very excited and I wanted to love it. The concept is great. A man gets turned into a werewolf without asking for it, and he and his husband must learn to deal with the changes in his body and his mind. Also, the mystery of who the rogue wolf is and why he’s killing people is a fantastic idea.

Unfortunately, The New Wolf came across as choppy and ru
Becky Condit
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please leave comments on Pattycake's 4 sweet pea review at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....

What do you do when the small town you move to turns out to be just as dangerous as the big city you left behind, but with a supernatural twist? You end up with The New Wolf by RJ Scott, the first of the promising new trilogy Building the Pack. The Bratty Omega by Stephani Hecht is the second book, and The Alpha's Own by Amber Kell is the third. The blurb does an excellent job of covering the basi
Rachelle
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, own
3.5 Stars

This was well written. I could easily follow Connor's journey. I got a clear picture of what he was going through and the difficulties it brought into his relationship with Josh. It's probably one of the best depictions of someone dealing with the changes from human to wolf that I have read in a long, long while. On the flip side, I could definitely sympathize with Josh and his assessment of what he thought was wrong with Connor. I did question how Josh didn't notice how quickly Connor
Ro Dubose
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cop Connor Vincent thought Black Creek, Vermont was too quiet after working the non-stop crimes scenes in New York. Now Veterinarian Josh Nolan and his lover Connor have more to contend with than a crime scene; Connor was bitten by a rogue wolf.

The New Wolf is the first book in a three author Building the Pack series. Josh and Connor have been lovers for five years. The story illustrates the strong monogamous relationship they have. Connor did not hesitate to move to Black Creek with Josh even t
Shaz
R.J. Scott is one of the authors whose writing I love. But I'll admit this one left me a little disappointed. Not that there was anything wrong with the book itself, but it felt "unfinished". I'm aware that it's the beginning of a series, and that there is more to come, but not necessariy centrering on these MC's.

I'm never a fan of short stories at the best of times, but this one definitely needed more padding. I felt like I was looking at a skeleton, and it needed the muscle and skin to make a
Hc
2.5 I'm thinking

Interesting.. (view spoiler)
Pippii
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Vet Josh and Cop Connor movies to the little town Black Creek things start to happen.
Josh works with his late grand dad’s partner and Connor settles in with the other cops at the sheriff’s office.

One day Josh find a wounded dog that suddenly disappears and, Conner and his partner gets attacked in the woods after starting looking into unsolved crimes…
The attacker is a wolf, but there is no wolfs in Black Creek...

But Connor changes after his attack, getting sexually aggressive; not the Josh
Heller
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-shifters, mm-pnr
This is a story that I wish wasn't a PNR. The relationship between Josh and Connor was amazing and I wish that the story had focused solely on that without throwing the whole concept of werewolves into it. They were a strong, established couple I would have loved to see their relationship from the beginning through the attack and the move to Vermont. Once the PNR angle was thrown in things started to fall apart for me and there were more questions that kept popping up without answers. I didn't l ...more
Janet
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shifters
I liked the characters but it felt more like the beginning of a story than a complete novel on its own, or there were a lot of plot threads that started out if nowhere and went nowhere either. The resolution was abrupt and superficial but I am guessing it gets fleshed out in the next installment.
 ~♥ Elle ♥~
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Loved how the author wrote the subtle changes in Connor and how Josh dealt with his lover's transformation. One thing about this book though is that it felt too short. I wanted to read more about the couple and the pack dynamics but I guess that is what the sequel is for. :)
Marsha Spence
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-para
Really enjoyed this book 1 of 3! Always fun to read new shifter stories!
Amy
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-them
Great start to this trilogy, but I'm thinking it would be nice if Josh was a wolf shifter too. Can't wait to read the next book.
Ericka Walden
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to the next...
Cecilia Rodriguez
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shee Reader
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The new wolf by R J Scott

Review by Shee Reader for Boy Meets boy reviews

Find us on the web at www.boymeetsboyreviews.com

Rating 4 hearts

This is a quick and exciting shifter read that I really enjoyed!

After a hate crime leaves one of them near dead, Veterinarian Josh Nolan and Cop Connor Vincent are starting a new life
« previous 1 3 next »

• One Bratty Omega (Building the Pack #2)
  • The Case Of The Wicked Wolf (End Street Dectective Agency #2)
  • Let the Rain Come Down (Moonlight Breed #6)
  • Delta Blues (Preternatural Rescue Centre #1)
  • Most Wanted (Love Slaves of the Alphas #1)
  • Unwrapping the Alpha's Mate (Kontra's Menagerie #15)
  • An Unauthorized Field Guide to the Hunt
  • The Moon's Dirty Light (Werewolves of Baltimore #1)
  • Dance Only for Me (Dance with the Devil, #4)
  • Heart of Dame (Solomon's Pride #3)
  • Full Moon Lockdown (Moon Compound #1)
A USA Today bestselling author, RJ Scott has published over one hundred novels after discovering romance in books at a very young age. She realized that if there wasn’t love on the page, she could create it in her head, and has become a lifelong writer.

She lives and works out of her home in the beautiful English countryside, spends her spare time reading, watching films, and enjoying time with her

Building The Pack (3 books)
  • One Bratty Omega (Building the Pack #2)
  • The Alpha's Only (Building the Pack #3)