Start by marking “The World of All Souls: A Complete Guide to A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night and The Book of Life” as Want to Read:

(All Souls Trilogy Companion)

Discover the truths, the history, the myths and the magic behind the bestselling All Souls trilogy. Fall under the spell once more with this all-encompassing insider's guide to A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night and The Book of Life.

The All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness, featuring historian and witch Diana Bishop and vampire scientist Matthew Clairmont, delves in
Published May 8th 2018 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The World of All Souls, please sign up.
Courtney Judy A new series is coming out, if I'm not mistaken. Time's Convert is scheduled to be released September 2018 -- part of the "All Souls Universe" series.

Trish
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a companion book to the author's trilogy about Diana Bishop and Matthew de Clairmont.

I shouldn't have to say it because it's obvious, but just in case: one really should only read this book AFTER having finished the trilogy because of major spoilers.

The book contains the following chapters and sub-chapters:

1) Synopses (summary of the books, the calendar and even music from the trilogy)
2) Creatures
3) Characters
4) Organizations (the universities, different orders etc)
5) Locations
6) Magic
Lucia
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A must-read for hardcore fans of All Souls trilogy, but do not expect to be WOWed. Illustrations are amazing but beside two deleted secenes and one new interview with author, written part left much to be desired.
Jean
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imaginary worlds are just as deserving of guidebooks as the real world places we all love, and the All Souls universe now has a Baedecker's worthy of it. The World of All Souls is an amazing guide to my favorite universe. Talk about a swoon worthy total package. It's a work that definitely needs to be savored, and its clever set up allows you pop in to explore a compelling topic or meander through. It's definitely a book I'll revisit again and again.

The highlights for me include the character pr
Susan Crowe
All this book is, is retelling what the entire trilogy is about. There's about 2 hrs of just going over each character's name and what the names mean. Very boring. You must be a die hard fan of this trilogy to enjoy this and care about any of this. I was very disappointed. Not what I expected at all. 14 hrs of this. Yes, I got the audiobook. There's no way I could have "read" this.
Joan
This was background info and explication of the world of All Souls. I'm glad I finished since the new book comes out tomorrow! This series is right up my alley: I was a history major and had a science minor. My favorite single college class was history of science. And I grew up reading Asimov and Heinlein then started reading fantasy later. So this series was just perfect for me! I really enjoyed how much history was in both the series and this volume. I also found the various books (or scrolls) ...more
Kate H
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness so I was thrilled to get to read this preview of the guide to the series. It looks to be fascinating and engaging even though I only saw a few pages of it. I eagerly look forward to reading the complete work later this year. I am reviewing this book based on an ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.
Vilde
There were parts of this guide that I very much enjoyed, and other parts that were unsuited for an audiobook. In other words, this should be read as a physical book (printed book) or an ebook. I definitely do not recommend the audiobook.
Terri Garner
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always love anything relating to Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
Valerie Grendell
The World of All Souls is the perfect companion to the All Souls Trilogy. It allows the reader to experience the All Souls universe in vivid technicolor!

As a reader, you not only get to know some of the minute details of the characters, their backgrounds, and origins, you’ll also get to experience some of the places mentioned in the books! And this is not just by listing geographical locations, but by exploring the minute details of the places. Rooms like Mary Sidney’s laboratory are illuminated
Darcy
I wasn’t even aware that this book was a thought until it popped up on my library’s website. I grabbed it thinking it was the new book coming out, didn’t pay that much attention, just knew it was in the series. Turns out this book is essentially the bible of the series. The author goes into depth with so much of what makes the books. I especially liked when she talked about how the book came to be and how it sold. I did listen to the audio book, but will check out the print version as the it sou ...more
Ashley
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-books
I received this as an ARC from Netgalley.com.

First line: Dear Reader, Welcome—or welcome back—into a world of daemons, humans, vampires and witches, where a reluctant witch and a fifteen-hundred-year-old vampire discover the secrets left in a mysterious manuscript.

Summary: A complete companion guide to the All Souls Trilogy. There are synopses of each book, the races, characters and locations plus so much more.

Highlights: I wish this had been out when I was reading the stories so I could refre
Lisa
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically the Bible of All Souls trilogy. So much information, it’s a massive book, I skimmed a lot of details I didn’t really need or want to know, but love all the little details about Philippe. I also appreciate Deb giving us Matthew’s entire library collection and the books he enjoyed and the ones that shaped his worldview over the years.
Heather Alderman
What an amazing reference guide for the All Souls Trilogy, although I wouldn't expect anything less from Ms. Harkness. Not necessarily a book to sit down and read cover to cover, but a great resource to look up additional information about characters, settings, items, magic, history, etc.
Helen
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Must have for any DOW fans.
Megan
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a compendium of information about the All Souls Trilogy. Some of the information can be found in the books, but much of it is only hinted at or not mentioned at all in the books. For fans of the All Souls world, this book is an excellent read as it gives you insights both into the author's creation of the books, but also into the characters, locations, organizations, and events in the trilogy. There are also outtakes -- chapters that were removed from the books before final publicat ...more
keikii Eats Books
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love history
Honestly, this was not for me. You SHOULD NOT read it while you are reading the series, because even if you wanted to look up a specific character you would be treated to spoilers for the series. Spoilers are throughout this and I can seriously only recommend you read it after you have read the entire series. I have yet to read All Souls Universe (because at the time of writing this review, it isn't even released yet). However, it doesn't even appear to contain winkwinknudgenudge information abo ...more
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have I mentioned how much I have loved every moment of this series? Maybe once or twice??

No seriously, it has taken over my LIFE since September and I can't believe there was ever a time I wasn't head over heels with this series. Like, who was I back then??? I could gush all fucking day about how fab all these books are, but I'll just say that this companion guide is amazing. Every little Easter egg chucked in the series is included in detail, with background and reasoning for why it's in there
veganjilly
Awesome! I have been a hardcore fan of the All Souls Trilogy since the first book came out in 2011. I never get tired of reading about Matthew and Diana, and doubt I ever will! This book truly is an excellent companion to the series, and delves into so many of the fascinating details contained in the books. Here you will find in-depth character profiles, setting descriptions, deeper looks into the science and spirituality of the books, and so much more. The audio version is wonderful, too, as it ...more
Michelle
I have been savoring The World of All Souls for the past several months, enjoying my forays into Ms. Harkness’ spectacular world a little at a time. I finally sat down to finish it and loved every minute of it. Seeing pictures of the actual areas in which the trilogy occurs as well as castles and buildings Ms. Harkness used as inspiration helped bring the world of the Clairmonts and Bishops to life. The illustrations are fabulous, as is the additional information about each of the characters and ...more
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
Excellent. Very informative. Beyond all the historical references, including photos, glossary, etc. one of the most enjoyable parts of the book were two small sections where the author gave you a quick short story from a place in the books where she could insert a little something interesting.
Kavitha Sivakumar
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tt-shelf
This is more like encyclopedia of that trilogy. Exhaustive details about the characters, place, timeline, objects, etc. Also nice summary of all three books :)
Stephanie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Series Companion Volume or a “Great Course” in History
THE WORLD OF ALL SOULS by Deb Harkness: A richly-detailed alternate-world series often benefits from a companion volume; here you get series info and excellent history!

If you loved the “All Souls Trilogy” then you will definitely want this companion volume which provides all those little extras you wondered about. It includes character bios, a synopsis for each book, cultural information for the times a
Rebecca
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading the All Souls Trilogy again. And watching the amazing production of A Discovery of Witches.

This book is a wonderful resource for all the information packed into the books.

Shirley
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: deborah-harkness
My copy is 483 pages not 608 as quoted. Very detailed as you would expect from a history professor, a great reference book. Having read the books when they first came out I really need to go back and read them again at some point as I think completing the guide will enhance the experience.
Lizzie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
Great information and insight. I will use the book as a reference guide when I need to refresh myself about something in the All Souls Trilogy.
Jill
Good grief. This is the very definition of TMI. I mean, I love the series, love the great juxtaposition of history and fantasy, but come on. A chapter on each kind of creature in depth? A detailed description of every minor character and minutae? I just don't have that kind of time. This is the kind of thing only for hard-core fans.... who also happen to be boring history buffs.
Charlotte Woodroffe
Great book. A book that delves into the details in the All Souls series....insights, back history.....just a great book to accompany the series. The history of locations and characters.....it is hard to find the right words but this is a wonderful book for those that "live" the All Souls series.
Elisabeth
I read bits here and there. But I don't think this is a book I'll finish straight through. It's an interesting reference. I read all the cut chapters/outtakes for books. There is one for DOW and one for SON. Unfortunately, nothing from BOL. I enjoyed those and the author notes.

I think it will be fun to reference on a re-read. Like Hmm, I'm spending a lot of time in this location, let's read a little more in depth. It's something to broaden your experience of the series. I don't know if you'd en
Candace
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Wow! Not an encyclopedia but a compendium of interesting information about the All Souls Trilogy. The drawings are fabulous and render the images from the books faithfully and creatively; truly the images are a joy to behold. Definitely a must for All Souls trilogy lovers.
Ashy Khaira
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Joy of Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #5)
  • Leonardo Da Vinci
  • Caroline's Comets: A True Story
  • When the Earth Shakes: Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tsunamis
  • Thor Speaks!: A Guide to the Realms by the Norse God of Thunder
  • Cathedrals of Science: The Personalities and Rivalries That Made Modern Chemistry
  • The Land of Canaan
  • The Dolphins of Shark Bay
  • Zombie Makers: True Stories of Nature's Undead
  • Jane Vows Vengeance (Jane Fairfax, #3)
  • The Real Cost of Fracking: How America's Shale Gas Boom Is Threatening Our Families, Pets, and Food
  • Shetland
  • Darkness Over Denmark: The Danish Resistance and the Rescue of the Jews
  • The Griffin and the Dinosaur: How Adrienne Mayor Discovered a Fascinating Link Between Myth and Science
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Lune d'été (Indiana Teller, #2)
  • Untitled Addison Allen 3
  • Grass, Soil, Hope: A Journey Through Carbon Country
My life has been a series of left turns that nevertheless took me in the right direction (though it didn't always seem so at the time). I went to college to be a theater major and ended up studying the Renaissance. I went to grad school to become a college administrator and loved to teach so much I became a college professor instead. I thought I wanted to be a Tudor-Stuart historian, and found mys ...more

All Souls Trilogy (3 books)
  • A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)
  • The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)
“In November 2009 archivist Rima Jaen at the Goncalves archives in Seville, Spain, comes across Diana's journal in a forgotten box in the archive attics.” 1 likes
“Members brought books, precious objects, and records of creature history to the city and purchased an island in the lagoon from the Catholic Church: Isola della Stella (Island of Stars). On it were monastic buildings that were converted to suit the Congregation's purposes. ..the vast, ancient monastery library, filled with books, papers, and papyri;...This council chamber, with its stunning frescoes, mosaics, vaulted ceiling, and gallery where the most precious records are kept, embodies the Congregation's power.” 1 likes