Start by marking “Heart Blade (Blade Hunt Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart Blade (Blade Hunt Chronicles, #1)

Heart Blade

(Blade Hunt Chronicles #1)

The Heart Blade will rise in light, or in darkness.

Teenage half-demon Del Raven wears a promise in scarred letters upon her skin. Now, pressured to make her first kill and seal her demon nature forever, she flees her pack and forges a dangerous partnership with young angel-blood Ash.

But Del isn't the only one on the run from the demons. For seventeen years the Guild of Sa
Published February 14th 2017 by Woodbridge Press (first published February 13th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Heart Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Blade

Start your review of Heart Blade (Blade Hunt Chronicles, #1)
Michael
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5-stars. This one ticks many of the boxes required to be a good read. It's been properly edited which also makes for a more enjoyable read.

This is vampires and werewolves and other supernatural incarnations battling for supremacy. I was put in mind of a cross between The Lost Boys and The Twilight Saga with a bit of King Arthur thrown in for good measure.

Short but sweet review as I'm none too well. I look forward to reading the next book in this series. I hope you all have a safe and happy Chr
Bryan Wigmore
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this as an ARC, and didn't take long about it. It's a very tightly and twistingly plotted, well-written story, packed full of tension, intrigue and action, with teenage characters you can get behind and who aren't hormoaning all the time or getting into pointless love-triangle diversions to spice things up. In fact, everything in the book seems to fall cleanly and naturally out of the starting conditions, which is that there are various types of "preternaturals" living in human society, h ...more
Kitvaria Sarene
4,5 stars / Ages 14+

I got this as an arc - and must confess I didn't expect to be blown away, but hoped for a pretty decent read.

I was very pleasantly surprised!
It is a really engaging story, that had me hooked right from the start. I read it in two evenings, and hardly put it down.

Of course it did have some small flaws - but they really were just minor ones, and quite common in YA, so I round my 4,5* up to 5.
Said flaws were two tiny details that weren't quite right that I noticed in a characte
Poli Dee
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of Heart Blade, so was able read it just prior to release. I am very thankful for that privilege, as the book was much, much more than I expected. Heart Blade does not read like a debut novel, but rather the work of someone who’s honed their skills for a while.

The story follows three people. Rose is in the care of a religious order; she is being hunted due to an ancient prophecy, and is whisked away by her mysterious godfather when a preternatural mercenary b
Steven Poore
Urban Fantasy isn't normally my bag, and YA UF is definitely out of my comfort zone. But this debut from Juliana Spink Mills, published by Woodbridge Press, is actually a very good YA UF for anybody who wants a more modern take on the shapechanger and vampires mythos than Buffy and Twilight have had to offer.

Refreshingly, both Del and Rose, the half-demon central characters, are independently motivated and not in romantic thrall to some immortal plank of wood. There *are* immortals, but they are
Marguerite
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, werewolves, fey
4 Stars.

Heart Blade was a really fun book to read! The premise is really strong, the plot flows well, the characters are interesting, complex and engaging and most importantly, the ending was incredible! Plus, Arthurian Legend references FTW always and forever (Merlin fans unite!!).

I'm going to start with the characters first. I loved reading about them and their emotional journeys, but (yes, unfortunately) this book did have one of my ultimate pet peeves and that is *drum roll* constantly chan
Carrie Firestone
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was full of twists and turns from the minute I picked it up. I marveled at the author's ability to navigate a number of plot lines seamlessly and was completely surprised by the ending. The characters were well-developed and the relationships were nicely fleshed out. I am so excited to see where these characters go in book two. Well done, Juliana Spink Mills! I just ordered three more copies as gifts!!
Kim Briggs
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartblade By Juliana Spink Mills

Demons. Angels. Vampires…Yes, please. Debut Author Juliana Spink Mills knows how to ramp up the tension. She created a secret world within our own with solid world building. I loved all the characters and at the end, there’s a twist…You’ll never guess it. Plus there’s some kissing, so of course, I was hooked. Buy your copy today and then add reviews everywhere because you’re going to want Mills to keep writing. I know I do!
Nick Bailey
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't usualy read YA novels, but this came highly reccomended, and rightly so. Great storytelling, well developed world and fully fledged characters make this a really great read. If you like urban fantasy, supernatural, or even light horror, you will enjoy this.
The Heart Blade has risen indeed.
T.I.M. James
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is the old adage about not judging a book by the cover, and this is one of those novels where I did just that. I am not one for reading the blurb on the back, feeling that it sometimes can give away something of the story I am about to read. So I settled down to read Heart Blade expecting it to be something totally different to what it was, for some reason, but this was not a bad thing, because I probably enjoyed it more because of it.

In some ways the story is reminiscent of the set up for
Donna
I won a signed copy of this book in a GoodReads giveaway in exchange for an honest review, and here it is:

This book was good! :D

I mean, I'm honestly not all that into the genre (the hide-and-seek, running-for-your-life, changing cars and disposing of cell-phones genre) so I can't really give it a proper analysis in that regard. But I CAN say that it kept my interest! I cared about what was happening! I cared about the battles and politics and stuff (even though I usually don't care about battles
Sumaya Musse
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and I think anyone with a taste for the paranormal (and even some who don't) would like it as well! ;) For a full review, follow the link: https://suereadingcorner.wordpress.co... ...more
Regina Yau
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HEART BLADE marks the debut of YA Fantasy author Juliana Spink Mills who writes with the confidence usually only exhibited by authors who already have an acclaimed series or two out. Her prose is clean and her storytelling is deft, combining to create an engaging and well-paced read.

At first glance, one might mistake HEART BLADE for yet another Urban Fantasy YA series packed with vampires, werewolves, witches and all the usual suspects. However, Mills puts her own stamp on these well-worn figure
Rebecca Allen
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Blade Heart is cast with demons and angels, vampires and witches. It’s perfect for aficionados of epic fantasy.

Blade Heart is the story of Rose, the victim of an assassination attempt at the start of the story. Rose is key to prophesied Heart Blade, a mythical weapon that could change the balance of power forever. It’s also the story of Del Raven, a half-demon fighting for freedom from her liege lord and against her destiny to kill mortals.

The time of the prophesied Blade Heart draws near, and
Peat
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the review of a YA Urban Fantasy by someone who doesn't really want YA. Or that much Urban Fantasy either. As such, I am somewhat unsure about this description, but Heart Blade seems to be very archetypal of both.

It is the tale of a half-demon named Del. In Heart Blade's universe, half-demons have some pretty heavy amnesia about their life before becoming a demon, and only truly come into their heritage after killing. For the former, Del only has a scar gouged into her arm; it says Never
Marc
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story, with even better characters to carry me along through it.
Del is a half-demon, feeding off of sorrow and refusing to pledge to her clan and become a full demon. In her search for Sanctuary she encounters Ash, a descendant of angels in training to be a sentinel, an enforcer of the laws of the Covenant. Del's violation of those laws gives Ash the courage to defy his father to protect her. Together they set off into the world in search of the Guild, which will protect Del from her Lie
A.J.
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Juliana Spink Mills’ Heart Blade is a great YA Fantasy, and a brilliant debut from a really promising author. Heart Blade is the opening volume in a new series, and although nominally YA (Young Adult) the novel is a great read for adults too. It’s a fast-paced, tightly written Urban Fantasy with great characters and an interesting plot that kept surprising me right up until the end.

The story takes place in a world recognisable as our own except for one detail: preternatural creatures from myths
Kerry Buchanan
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

I have a complaint: from opening this book, I've found it impossible to put down, so no sleep, no dinner made, no groceries bought.
The author has woven a complex tale with wonderful, three-dimensional characters who captivated me from the first page. Somehow she kept all the strands of the story spinning and brought them together in a finale that will spoil me for lesser books for some time to come.
Now I can't wait to get hold of the next one in the series (although this one happily
Kate Crescimanno-Roth
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me way too long to get around to reading this, but once I started I finished it in a day and a half! So good. It takes beings like demons and vampires and angels, subjects that can so easily become cliche, and makes them fresh and interesting. I love this version of demon lore. I literally ordered the sequel the minute I was done with this one.
Katie Carroll
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
A prophecy foretold of the Heart Blade, a weapon that could be wielded for good or evil, depending on who finds it first. Set in an urban, modern world full of demons, vampires, and half-angels--among other paranormal beings--HEART BLADE by Juliana Spink Mills is a YA novel that crosses over into adult appeal. The writing was tight, the plot was so engaging, and the rather large cast of characters was well-developed. I loved this book and am excited to read the next in the series!
Suzanne
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to be able to get an ARC of Juliana Spink Mills' YA novel Heart Blade. I had read the description, but was not prepared for the way the book grabbed me from the first page. It is classed as YA, but I’m sure it will appeal to a wider audience. Even after I’d finished reading, the book stayed in my mind for quite some time. This is Juliana Spink Mills' debut novel – what a fantastic start to her series.
Georgia
Dan Jones
Mar 11, 2018
Jen O'Dea
Feb 16, 2017
Juliana Spink Mills was born in England but grew up in Brazil. Now she lives in Connecticut and writes science fiction and fantasy. Sometimes her stories are dark. Sometimes there is kissing. Or stabbing; things could go either way, really. She is the author of Heart Blade and Night Blade, the first two books in the young adult Blade Hunt Chronicles urban fantasy series. Her short stories have app ...more

Blade Hunt Chronicles (2 books)
  • Night Blade (Blade Hunt Chronicles, #2)