Start by marking “The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)” as Want to Read:
The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)

The War I Finally Won

(The War That Saved My Life #2)

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  12,867 ratings  ·  2,180 reviews
Ada and her younger brother, Jamie, now have a permanent home with their loving legal guardian, Susan Smith. Although Jamie adapts more easily, Ada still struggles with the aftermath of her old life, and how to fit into her new life.

World War II continues, and forces the small community to come together and rely on one another. Ada has never been interested in getting to
Published October 3rd 2017 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The War I Finally Won, please sign up.
Vicki I was so hoping for this, too! If it is truly the end of him, I'm hoping a third title has his friend (who went on the midnight ride) become a…moreI was so hoping for this, too! If it is truly the end of him, I'm hoping a third title has his friend (who went on the midnight ride) become a romantic interest for Ada, as he wrote very admiringly about her in his letter.(less)

·  12,867 ratings  ·  2,180 reviews

Abby Johnson
I *loved* The War That Saved My Life and friends, this is a worthy sequel. I am in awe of Kimberly Bradley's ability to create characters that are so real, feeling emotions that are so raw that the reader can't help but feel them, too. The growth and development of these characters through the story is masterful. I just loved it. I wished it was longer, which was a thing I NEVER wish because finishing a book and marking it as "read" is one of my great pleasures. But I would spend all the time in ...more
Scott Fillner
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Trying to put this review into words is so difficult. The story, the characters, the history...it was all done SO well. Kimberly allows us to see Ada to her core. She begins to help us understand the impact of neglect and abuse, the gravity of war, and depth of beginning to understand a concept that is too deep to put into a simple conversation with children. I cannot highly recommend this book enough. I cannot wait for Ss to have this book in their hands come October.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)
A very cool kids' book. :P
Q:
You can know things all you like, but that doesn’t mean you believe them. (c)
Q:
Mam hadn’t been much for words, and there was a limit to how much I could teach myself, looking out the one window of our flat. (c)
Q:
The Swiss Family Robinson got shipwrecked onto a beautiful island where everything turned out splendid for them. Jamie loved the story. I had always disliked it. I hated it now.
Jamie and I were shipwrecke
Jessica
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bawled my way through this one as well. Happy and sad, and adds a new dimension (or two) to Ada's war. (Both her personal war, and the actual war with Germany.)

So interesting to see what it was like for children, on the ground in England. So much is written (or at least, most of what I've read) is either about children in America, or in Germany. So interesting to see how far along the war was for England before the US joined, and their attitude toward Hitler and the Germans.

And of course, the
Melina Souza
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Resenha no canal: https://youtu.be/RWJABtug0yM :D

Amei!
Chorei!
Feliz por saber o que aconteceu com Ada depois do primeiro volume.
Hilary
This stories continues just where The War That Saved My Life finished. Having loved the first book so much I was surprised that the sequel was just as good if not more enjoyable, we were so excited to have the chance to read more about these wonderful characters.

This story continues with the characters lives during WWII, the book spans a couple of years, we learn more about characters from the last book and a new character, Ruth joins the family. Susan continues to be a wonderful mother and hel
Vikki VanSickle
THE WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE is a hard act to follow but I think I have liked this follow-up even more! The bonds of family and friendship are tested and strengthened again as the war continues to wreak havoc on Ada's life. Bradley does not shy away from writing about Ada's anger and confusion and her supporting cast is fully realized and allowed story arcs of their own. I was particularly touched by the portrayal of Lady Thornton, forced to live in close quarters with Ada and her new family, who ...more
Lisa Vegan
This sequel starts right up where book 1 left off; the 2 books make up 1 story. I think it keeps getting better and better. I do think it’s important to read book 1 before reading book 2.

I stayed up very late to finish reading. All the way through it was a hard book to put down. It’s a page-turner.

I’m considering adding it to my favorites shelf. It’s definitely a solid 5 star book for me. How often is a sequel even better than the first book?! Here it is, and I also gave the first book 5 stars.

I
Raquel Moritz
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CHOREI BALDES, mas baldes mesmo, com essa continuação, escrita de maneira tão delicada e verdadeira. O amadurecimento da Ada e as coisas que ela precisa enfrentar pra aprender a viver livre de verdade, aprender a vencer a guerra dentro dela, é digno de nota. Vale cada página <3
Six stars for this second and final book in the series. I wish I had more time to write a review.

This book has everything: First, it is a page-turner. The characters are so real that I don't think I will ever forget them (even with my insomnia brain). The writing is simple and beautiful. This is the kind of book that makes me glad that I don't worry too much about who the audience is when I choose my next read because there are some extraordinarily talented writers out there writing for YA and
Idarah
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
fullsizeoutput_845

"Love isn't as rare as you think it is...You can love all sorts of people, in all sorts of ways. Nor is love in any way dangerous."

I've devoured this series within a week of "discovering" it, and now don't know what to do with myself. Thoroughly enjoyable and edifying. I would eat it if I could. I loved all of the historical elements that Bradley weaved into this story, an account of war in the English countryside from the perspective of a young girl evacuated from East End London. Though she's
DaNae
Whoa, one of the few books of this year I longed to return to and mourned its end. Ada's prickly voice shines. Lady Thorton more than makes up for the one-note Mam of the first book. A thornier Marrila Cuthbert.
Janete
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I read this book in my own language because my knowledge in English isn't yet good. I think that the first book is excellent, but the second one is just good. The problem with the second book is that the end was a little fast and unsatisfactory for me.
Diane
You cannot read this book without first reading The War that Saved My Life - but if you read that one, I can't imagine you wouldn't want to read this one!

Classified a middle grade read, this book picks up where the first leaves off. My heart was full while reading this one, as I not only got to see our Ada grow into her own and tackle her demons but I met other characters that charmed me as well, most notably Ruth.

The story (series) is a way to teach younger students/children about an important
Shawn
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't even remember the last time I was brought to tears by a book, but I was profoundly moved by the beauty and sadness of this amazing audiobook (and its predecessor, The War That Saved My Life.)

Read or listen to them both immediately, but don't say I didn't warn you. This is one of the best novels of 2017.
ليلي
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
جلد دوش آدم رو ناامید نمیکنه، جلد یک رو تو ذهن خراب نمیکنه، پشیمون نمیشی از اینکه خوندیش؛ اما خب واضحا لذت و خاص بودگی جلد یک رو هم نداره.
البته که این یکی خیلی بیشتر از قبلی درگیر جنگه و این نقطهی قوتشه؛ که قبلی داستان آدا بود، این یکی داستان آدا در جنگ و ارتباط آدا (و بقیه) با جنگه.
+همهی داستان در این جلد در نظرم در حد ۳ بود، و ۲-۳ صفحهی آخر پنج کامل. و خب به نظرم میانگینشون به سمت ۴ شد. :))
۲-۳ صفحهی آخر انگار پاسخی بود به توقع و درخواست من از داستان، دربارهی بیشتر، و بدون پنهان کردن و یه جور
Renata
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
IM NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING

OH NO MY BAD, I'M CRYING. I'M CRYING SO MUCH. I'M CRYING SO MUCH IT'S MAKING YOU CRY TOO.

BUT LIKE IN A GOOD WAY THOUGH.
Kirsten
A perfect historical novel. Kimberly Brubaker Bradley seamlessly combines WWII realities--ration books, fire watching, displaced Jewish Germans in the village (or the home), Anderson shelters, Land Girls, air raids, secrecy--with the fictional story of Ada and Jamie, orphans after their mother's death during the London Blitz, struggling to embrace and accept an unexpected, unconventional, long-suffering and ultimately supportive family. Great writing, wonderful story arc, simply beautiful.

With a
Susan
5 stars isn't enough for the sequel to Ada's story. Beautiful from beginning to end!
Emily
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel to The War that Saved My Life. I read both books aloud to my 9 year old daughter and we were both completely enthralled. I loved getting to see how Ada grew and healed over the course of the story and the introduction of Ruth, a German Jewish girl, really helped to teach her about a horrible thing that happened without going into the nitty gritty details before she's ready for them. We also really appreciated the discussions about religious beliefs and compari
Fabi
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Já tinha adorado o primeiro livro e este foi também um livro muito bom. Um livro sofrido, sobre a guerra e o que está ensina a uma menina. Muito bom.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
When last we left our evacuees, Ada Smith and her younger brother Jaime, they had been taken away from Susan Smith (no relation), with whom them had been living after being evacuated from London, and brought back to London by their mother despite the constant bombing. Sure enough, one night during an air raid, they don’t make it to the shelter because of Ada’s severely clubbed foot, and in the midst of everything, Susan appears to take them back to her house in the countryside.

Now, with her club
Tukunjil Nayeera
I am emotionally drained!

I read The War that Saved My Life last year and loved it. It was one of the best books I've ever read. Since last year I've been waiting eagerly for the second book of the series. Now that I've read it I feel awful! I was kind of hoping maybe this book wouldn't be as good as the first installment. However, I was wrong. Kimberly Brubaker Bradley once again won my heart!

Firstly, I would like to mention that Kimberley was very good with Child Psychology. The way she und
Text Publishing
‘With a satisfying yet realistic ending, The War I Finally Won is a great way to end Ada’s battle.’
Book Muse

‘Heart-wrenching and heartwarming at the same time…Ada’s story tells us that there is hope, there are people of goodwill, and perseverance is always worth the struggle.’
Good Reading

‘This absorbing adventure, with its gentle humour and fearless characters, will captivate you. It is as exciting as it is poignant and wise and deserves to take its rightful place among the classics of children
JonathanT
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: his-fic, middle-grade
I waffled between three and four, but I’m feeling generous today and I don’t believe in half stars so four it is. XD

This was excellently written, with a much better plot than the last book. I did call the main plot twist from MILES away, but somehow that didn’t detract from it. The storyline is still slow, like the last book, but it’s much more complex and engaging.

Plus, Ada’s voice and character development was really, really well-done. I like how this author sticks with middle-grade level pr
Karina
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

This book is sequel of THE WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE. This was the "evil" twin sister. The one you play with and think "Oh she's sweet!" But then you get home and start thinking of the way she played and then it's like "Hmm... Maybe that wasn't so nice after all!"

This was that book. It didn't need to be a sequel and it didn't need a particular character but she showed up anyway... I enjoyed MY LIFE but I can't say I wholeheartedly enjoyed this one. Maybe I was expecting too much?

Mary Lee
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite book so far this year. I could hug it. I could start right over at page one and read it again in another big gulp.

The way Bradley explores how different characters process trauma and loss is masterful. Woven throughout the whole book there are also such strands of joy and beauty.

Mitticus

Tenian razon , me gusto mas que la primer parte.

me hizo reir y llorar.

aun doy vueltas que poner por aqui.

Janssen
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was excellent. And one of those books where I read the sequel years after the first one and didn't feel frustrated the whole time by not being able to remember the first book.
Elias Bahrami
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
با اینکه "جنگی که نجاتم داد" هم دوست داشتنی بود اما این رو خیلی بیشتر دوست داشتم.انگار واقعا اون کتاب به ادامه نیاز داشت تا شخصیت ها واقعی تر جلوه کنن و بهتر بفهمیمشون.درگیری های ذهنیِ حتی بعد از خوب شدن پای آدا (مثل اینکه به این فکر میکرد که شاید واقعا مشکلی به جز پاچنبری داشته که مادرش اونقدر باهاش بدرفتاری میکرده و اونو ... لقب میداده) و وقتی کم گم باور میکند که مشکل از خودش نبوده و مامش مقصر بوده به این فکر میکنه که چرا مامش همچین مشکلی داشته و فکرهای خودش و حرفای بقیه در مورد اینکه مامش ضعی ...more
  • Full of Beans
  • Lifeboat 12
  • The Journey of Little Charlie
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Gaither Sisters, #3)
  • Finding Langston
  • Front Desk
  • Beyond the Bright Sea
  • Lucky Broken Girl
  • Dash (Dogs of World War II)
  • Revolution (The Sixties Trilogy, #2)
  • The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog
  • Genevieve's War
  • Freedom Over Me: Eleven Slaves, Their Lives and Dreams Brought to Life by Ashley Bryan
  • On the Wings of Heroes
  • Chasing Secrets
  • It Ain't So Awful, Falafel
  • Arcady's Goal
I grew up loving books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Lois Lenski, L.M. Montgomery, Madeline L'Engle, K.M. Peyton, Noel Streatfield, Mary Norton, and Sydney Taylor. Patricia MacLachlan and Jane Yolen helped me start writing.

As a child I always imagined how wonderful it would be to wake up to a pony in the back yard, but the way the farm I live on now sits it makes better sense for the pastures to be in

The War That Saved My Life (2 books)
  • The War That Saved My Life (The War That Saved My Life, #1)
“You can know things all you like, and someday you might believe them.” 11 likes
“Love isn't as rare as you think it is...You can love all sorts of people, in all sorts of ways. Nor is love in any way dangerous.” 9 likes