Start by marking “A Year at Hotel Gondola” as Want to Read:
A Year at Hotel Gondola

A Year at Hotel Gondola

'Recipe For Life pulls off the rare trick of being both gritty and lyrical, heartrending and compelling. A novel about how easy it is to become an observer in your own life, and the joy of learning to live again. It also made me very hungry!' JOJO MOYES on Recipe for Life A woman swaps her far-flung travels for her biggest adventure yet - a relationship. Perfect for fans o ...more
Published March 22nd 2018 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about A Year at Hotel Gondola, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year at Hotel Gondola

Rachel Gilbey
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you have ever wanted to feel as though you have been to Venice and stayed there for a considerable amount of time, then this is easily the book for you.

For Kat has decided to spend a year at The Hotel Gondola in the aim of seeing what it is like to put down roots in once place after travelling the world for most of her life. She has also fallen in love with Massimo and is curious to see what a longer term relationship is really like.

Kat though is a food writer and has agreed to write a book
Lady_bercilak
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I found it difficult to finish this book. I couldn't engage with Kat, the protagonist. She was so self-absorbed and yet unaware of herself. I got to the point where I was reluctant to pick the book up and read another chapter. I think part of the problem was that the story was told partly in Kat's own words and partly by the narrator, but still looking at the story from a tight perspective on Kat, who was a rather unappealing and unsympathetic heroine. Still, the last few chapters brought the st ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Venice, regrets, love, friendship, food.

Review first posted to Tea Party Princess with an additional cocktail recipe.

This book is written in a rather different way - not only is it told from Kat's perspective, but also a narrator in third person. This did take a little while for me to get used to, but by about half way through it didn't disturb my reading or the flow of the story.

I was completely transported to Venice as I read this book. The setting is so rich, so vivid, that I could e
Mandy Radley
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think this was one of her best, however quick easy read, enjoyed the Venice theme and especially the food, it made me want to go and try out some of the recipes.
Marcus Hobson
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-zealand
This is an enjoyable mix of Venice, romance and plenty of cooking recipes. Not quite my normal reading matter, but it is a good plot which kept me turning the pages.
If nothing else it is a good reminder that when we are busy in our lives, engrossed in our work or our own pet projects, it is always important to keep talking to the person you love, letting them know what you need, or what you are missing. Communication is everything, even if feeding people delicious recipes comes a close second in
Диана
2,5*
Kim
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
Kat is a travel food writer and she's spending a year in Venice with her new love, hoping that things will develop into a happy ever after whilst providing her with lots of new material for a book. She wants Massimo to show her the Venetian Venice- but he doesn't want all their secrets shared with the tourists.
She finds a wonderful vintage clothes shop, where the lovely eccentric owner finds the perfect outfit for her customers and becomes a close friend. She also makes friends with a couple of
Jane Gregg
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my languid Easter holiday treat; a light and lovely sojourn with Nicky Pellegrino’s latest. Yes there’s a formula at play here, and no this is not serious fiction, but everyone needs a break sometime and you’d be hard pressed not to secretly adore being transported to Venice for a full immersion in all that mysterious city has underneath its rich patina. As with all Nicky P’s books, there are lovely recipes here too. Delicious.
Thebooktrail
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
description

Travel To Venice

Venice is portrayed in a lovely way in this book and I’m not surprised that Kat went there to write a book. I also understand she didn’t want to go somewhere that has already been discovered, ie a popular city which would be teaming with tourists. Instead she prefers off the beaten track places and always likes changing the view from her window. I’m with her on that one!

Always moving around has meant that Kat is single and so, in her 50s, she’s decided to try this new experience
Maria
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read all of Nicky's books up to this point, and would have to say that this one was one of my least favourites. I did enjoy the backdrop of Venice, with Kat choosing to dedicate one year of her life by staying in the city, while moving-in with Massimo, a man that she meets at the Hotel Gondola. However, from the beginning of the novel, it was difficult to see a connection between Kat and Massimo; I felt that their 'love' was fleeting, and the author made it difficult for us as readers to ...more
LindyLouMac
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having lived the Italian dream myself for a number of years, it is always a pleasure to lose myself in a story written by an author whose passion for Italy is obvious. From the delightful way she writes about the sights and smells to the detail of including some authentic recipes in her storyline. This is the fourth novel I have read by Nicky Pellegrino, surely a good recommendation in itself. She writes in such a way that I feel myself drifting off to the world she writes about, so far always s ...more
Debbs Wilson
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read all of Nicky's books and would have to say this was not one of her best but in saying that I loved reading about Venice and the food made my mouth water.
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Kat Black has spent her career on the move as the star of a TV travel series. She's recently turned 50 and she's never had a long term relationship. But the milestone birthday has made her realise that she has maybe twenty more "good years" and it's time to make some changes. So she moves to Venice to live with Massimo, the handsome hotelier whom she's been seeing at long distance for a few months. She has committed to spending a year in Venice, working at the hotel with Massimo and writing an " ...more
Helen Edwards
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
In my humble opinion this isn't Nicky's best work. I found the story hard to get into - I don't think the two different perspectives helped. I didn't warm to Kat much either, and she was the main character! There wasn't much in the way of romance. As for the other characters, Massimo was a bit wooden, but I loved Coco. At times I found this book - and the exploration of ageing - a bit depressing. But I loved the descriptions of Venice. Nicky does this very well, along with descriptions of food. ...more
Cerys
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
In my opinion this book was mediocre. It wasn't unbearable to read, but it wasn't the easiest either. The book was written in a way in which one chapter was written in third person and the next chapter was main character writing her own novel - it took a little bit of getting used to at first.

I didn't relate much to the protagonist Kat Black, partly because of her age. My first impressions of her were that she was a bit of a snob, stubborn and likes things her way or the high way. Her sense of a
Tia Murrell
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, a year in one of my favourite cities, so much in this book speaks to me, I truly love how it talks about how Venice cannot be seen or experienced in a day or 2 and one needs to immerse oneself in this city ( without so many tourists or tourist traps) to really learn its secrets and see its full beauty and I was lucky enough in my youth to do this. Also to read about the wonderful food of Venice made my mouth water and wish to travel again :)
I feel Venice was the main character in
Sami
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Pleasant read, especially if you're interested in Venice. A lot of good detail about the city. Appreciated seeing an older character get a story with a love interest and not have it be about empty nest syndrome or a failed marriage...I like those books for sure, but it was nice to read a story about someone who'd reached 50 without having done all that. It was different.

Having said that I found Kat to be a bit childish for a woman her age, but maybe that was the point? It's hard to k
Andrea
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A lovely gentle read that carries you along without any peaks or troughs of high drama.

Again Nicky combines the successful elements of Italy, Italian romance and food seen through the eyes of Kat who is in Italy for a year of writing and seeing if a relationship with an Italian man will work. So we are both reading the chapters that Kat writes and reading the chapters through Kat's eyes of her everyday life.

Spending most of her time by herself trying to uncover the hidden Venice, Kat makes new f
Cathy
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kat is a travel writer who has travelled the world but has recently had her TV show cancelled. So she is at a bit of a loose end and needs to come up with an idea. She travels to Venice and decides to stay for 12 months as she meets Massimo, owner of Hotel Gondola.

Pellegrino brings Venice to life through her descriptions of the places that Kat explores as well as the food that she makes and tastes.

The book is presented in two alternating ways - you get excerpts of the book that she is writing
Natalie  S
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
They say you’ve never been to Venice until you’ve gotten lost there. Nicky Pellegrino’s breezy romance novel does offer some opportunities to do just that. She captures the real Venice – from the hustle and bustle of the tourist hotspots to the places the locals love. A Year at Hotel Gondola is the tenth novel from this journalist and it is a pleasant and at times rather indulgent Italian affair.

To read the rest of this review please visit: https://100percentrock.com/book-revie...
Angela
3 and a half.
I liked the self awareness the main character [Kat aged 50 then 51] built as the year went on and learning about the locals' side of Venice...... and the food. And the escapism.
I didn't like the repetition of her experiences which were being used to build up a book as they weren't different enough from her own experiences and were a bit wooden in their execution.
Kirsten Bett
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice summer read. I loved the idea of the two stories sitting next to each other. Towards the end the storyline got a whole lot better. In the beginning, especially, I got the feeling it wasn't finished. How the two got together in the first place, remained a bit of a mystery.
Judy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Only just a 3. I certainly didn't enjoy this story as much as others by the same author. Found it a bit disjointed with the two stories running along together, it was quite slow and really didn't "achieve" anything.
G. McGavin
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Although this book took some getting into, I really enjoyed it, and was soon wanting to find out what happens next! It was set in Venice and made the place come alive. A good heartwarming romance.
Mekerei
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Love Story

I’ve spent a week in Venice, not long enough. Interesting to read how locals view tourists. Felt a bit this way too (I live in a tourist town)

I liked how this was a book within a book and with an older romance.

I have always loved Nicky Pellegrino’s writing.
Vicki Munro
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good summer read, feel like I've visited Venice now!
Jessica Jones
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Just like 'good housekeeping' said "a slice of pure sunshine"!
Gill Brown
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book within a book, a lovely story of Venice, food and it’s wonderful characters. Everyone should have a Coco in their life.
Jennifer Bibby
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading a story by Nicky Pellegrino is like going on holiday in a book. An enjoyable escapist book set in Venice. Unlike some others I quite enjoyed the dual story telling.
  • I Can't Stay Long
  • Bringing Tuscany Home: Sensuous Style From the Heart of Italy
  • The Wisdom of Tuscany: Simplicity, Security & the Good Life - Making the Tuscan Lifestyle Your Own
  • Meet Me in Milano
  • An Italian Cooking Magazine: The Gourmet Mag by Gourmet Project | Digital edition | The Yellow Issue – Winter 2018
  • Antonia and Her Daughters: Secrets, Love, Friendship and Family in Tuscany
  • Etruscans
  • The Olive Route: A Personal Journey to the Heart of the Mediterranean
  • The King of Capri
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies  - Chronicles V: Art & Design
  • A Trio for Lute
  • The Complete Works of Primo Levi
  • Rick Steves' Florence & Tuscany 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • A Tuscan Childhood
  • Italian Days
  • Given Away, A Sicilian Upbringing
  • Treatises on Friendship and Old Age
  • Snake Eyes (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #8)
I was born and grew up near Liverpool, England. For a while I worked as a magazine journalist in London but then 21 years ago I came on holiday to New Zealand and met my future husband Carne Bidwill at a wedding. Now we live together near a beach in Auckland with our dogs Charlie the standard poodle and Lucy the pointer. I spend my time writing novels, working as a freelance journalist, riding my ...more