Start by marking “Onverschrokken” as Want to Read:
Onverschrokken

Onverschrokken

(The Valiant #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  7,712 ratings  ·  1,352 reviews
Fallon is als dochter van de koning voorbestemd om tegen de Romeinen te gaan strijden met haar vaders troepen. Haar zus, een legendarische strijder die heroïsch ten onder is gegaan in de strijd tegen Julius Caesar, heeft haar daar van kleins af aan op voorbereid. Op haar zeventiende verjaardag wil Fallon niets liever dan dat haar vader haar beëdigd als strijder en dat haar ...more
Published February 16th 2017 by Best of YA (first published February 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Onverschrokken, please sign up.
Paloma I was just looking into that now. I originally planned to wait the full six weeks to make sure it didn't arrive a few hours or days after I had put…moreI was just looking into that now. I originally planned to wait the full six weeks to make sure it didn't arrive a few hours or days after I had put that I didn't receive it. If I haven't gotten by Friday, I will be contacting somebody about it.(less)

·  7,712 ratings  ·  1,352 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

I bloody freaking loved this book! ❤

The first book in this series/trilogy/dualogy is amazing!

Fallon is in training to become one of her father's war chiefs. She's in love with an awesome guy named Mael and everything is looking perfect. But it isn't and it all falls apart.

Fallon is taken and sold into slavery which ends up getting her into a school to train to become a gl
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
4.5 stars*
I thoroughly enjoyed this! It showed strong female characters in an interesting time period and seemed to be very well researched.
Review to come on publication date.

*received ARC for review from Indigo*
Helena of Sparta ✰ (on semi-hiatus)
“I would be the master of my own fate. Me and the goddess Morrigan. No one else—and certainly no man.”

description

THIS WAS GREAT! You are all sleeping on this book and what a grave mistake that is! :O This is everything that I wanted the faux-Roman An Ember in the Ashes to be!

description

Fallon is a kick-arse protagonist who is all about bravery, victory and honour. She has many chances to escape the life forced upon her as a slave...a gladiator, but she never takes it because she adamantly wants to fight her own battl
A spark somewhere deep inside of me flared to life. The tiniest blue flame, with nothing of tinder to catch onto except the delusional hope that I could somehow fight my way back to freedom.

Female gladiators fighting in the arena in ancient Rome. It sounds like a myth - a completely made up tale. The truth is..there is actual evidence of female gladiators (gladiatrices). They really existed. The problem is there is very little evidence and we don’t actually know much. Especially in comparison
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars BADASS GIRL GLADIATORS. Does that sound amazing? Guess what--it's even more awesome than it sounds.

I was lucky enough to read an early galley, but review to come from the ARC. With any luck, this thing will be a monster success. It deserves it.
Candace Robinson
So, I love gladiators, and the fact that they were female was pretty awesome! There was a lot of action, and there was some romance which felt odd and out of place. Overall, this book was fun! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...
Alyssa
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
4.5 stars. To round up, or to round down... let's see how my review goes. =)

EDIT: I rounded up. :D

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Valiant by Lesley Livingston
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: February 14, 2017
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss/ARC

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lost to history, the story of the female gladiator has never been told. Until now.

Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king and the younger sister of the legendary warrior Sorcha. When Fallon w
sreeja (hiatus)
“There is only forward. Only tomorrow. No yesterday, no going back. And nothing of value is left behind, so nothing is truly lost.”

The Valiant started out slow and frankly was quite boring in the beginning. The amount of development that happened was honestly amazing and I’m glad I pulled through the first few chapters that were literally killing me. The main fighting didn’t really start till late into the book but at least the middle wasn’t as boring as the first part.The plot was the main th
Nicole
I enjoyed reading "The Valiant" in a buddy read with my dear friend, Antonia.

I was reading Magic Study earlier last week and while the plot was nothing impressive, I still gave it 4 stars because of the characters. I knew that good characters are more important to me than an exciting plot but I wondered, how can I be so sure? It's been a long while since I read a book that enjoyed without hating nor loving any of the MCs, a book solely based on a plot-driven story. Ironically, I read this book
melissafandomworld
RE-READ January 2019
4.5 stars!
In order to prepare myself for the buddy read of the Defiant next month, I really wanted to re-read the Valiant in January. I ended up doing a buddy read with a friend of mine - Marie over @mixed_matched_socks on Instagram - because she wanted to read the book and this way we could motivate each other and talk about the book whilst reading it. We finished reading the book yesterday and I couldn't pass up on the opportunity of telling you guys how I feel about it.

I
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
"I will endure to be burned . . . to be bound . . . to be beaten . . . and to be killed by the sword."

This was a promising start to a new series, the fact that it was about the female gladiators of Ancient Rome made it even more interesting. I never knew that such thing existed.
The Valiant, was one of those books that once you started, you could never put down. You could easily get lost to the author's writing style and be absorbed by the world that you've been reading.

Fallon, was a strong f
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/12/...

What an amazing surprise this was! Though to be honest, I had no idea what to expect at first, only that from the moment I saw the book description for The Valiant, I knew I had to read it. I make it no secret that I am fascinated with anything to do with Ancient Rome, and so historical fiction set in this time period is like an instant Mogsy magnet. And secondly, FEMALE GLADIATORS.

The story follows Fallon, daughter of a
Lia  °on a summer hiatus but don't worry I'll be back°
I'm DNF-ing this. Maybe I'll pick it up in another moment but for now it's not doing it for me and, like some friends on here suggested, life's too short to spend it reading books you don't really enjoy.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Jill
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75

This book was overall a ton of fun and super interesting. It takes place in Rome during the reign and Julius Ceasar and it was interesting to see Livingston's take on these historical figures. While I do question the authenticity of these interpretations, it was fun to see Ceasar and Cleopatra actually be characters in this book.

I did have accept the fact that this book was not the most historically accurate thing in the world and it has a lot of plot holes in my opinion. I felt like lots
mich
This author has no clue - NO CLUE - of how to build a romantic relationship between her characters. Both times came out of fricken nowhere, and the "main" one was the worst. A handful of conversations and then they're in love? Psshh, oh please.

This book has catchy hooks, no doubt about that. Female gladiators, being forced to fight for your enemy, forbidden love, revenge. ALL GOOD THINGS. But Livingston took all that awesome stuff and totally butchered it with her crappy writing style, uneven p
Lucia
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the idea of teenage gladiatrix, but beside unique premise, plot-wise this novel didn’t offer anything new. Some parts were okay, others dragged and it took forever to actually get to gladiator fights.

However, my biggest complaint is with „forbidden“ romance between Fallon and Cai. It was underdeveloped and unbelievable and for me it was the weakest feature of this novel. Story would probably work better without it. Female friendship and sisterhood
Katrin D
This book was perfection and I will find the time to write a proper review, because I need to share everything I felt.
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Let's see if I can keep this short n sweet 😁

My rating is 4.25 stars

I seriously loved this book! And it was just what I needed! The idea of female gladiators? Hell yes! I am here for that kind of badassery!! It is the sort of idea that enthralls the mind with its awesomeness!

And Fallon is just the right tough girl for the challenge. As well as her fiesty & fun cohort, Elka. I loved their friendship so much!! And Ajani when she became a part of their trio. There are so many good relationships
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
“Temper passion with control, conviction with cunning.”

Rating ~3.5

A promising start to a new series.

I received an ARC through Goodreads first to read program. Thank you to Penguin Teen for providing me with a copy.

*Review to Come*
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

I'm not quite sure what I just read...but I both liked and disliked this book.

Overall?? Very underwhelmed. Boo.
Aly Locatelli
Feb 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ page 150

I have never been so bored in my entire life. Working through 150 pages was torture, but then I skipped ahead to see if it got better, bumped into the plot twist I called from the first page, and decided it was better if I just let it go.

The Valiant isn't what I thought it would be. I might pick it up again in the future, but for now:

[image error]
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)

This looks interesting. Requested from Netgalley, but seeing as how it's Penguin, I'm sure I'll be denied. :/
Katiria
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-books
*** Review The Valiant on Kati's Bookaholic Rambling Reviews ***

I've been seeing mix reviews about this book but I read a high praising review from a friend of mine on her blog. Which I had to pick it up because me and my friend have similar taste in books but I did have low expectation with The Valiant at first. But Ohh my I am so glad and happy that I decided to pick this book out from the library because I absolutely loved and enjoyed it. I can totally
Justine
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
An uncomplicated read with no surprises, but very enjoyable. I would have liked the story to have had just a bit more substance, but in spite of that I'm rating slightly up for the easy fun factor it provided.

I will definitely be reading the next book.
Aila

Honestly, this book had it all and the only complaint I have is that I want more. The open yet extremely satisfying ending was definitely a great place to end it though, and I read this basically in one sitting. I just wanted more sisterhood, more romance, more battles... but if you're a fan of these things - as well as amazing character development that continues from the start to finish of the book - then The Valiant is not one to miss. The exploration of honor and survival in Ancient
Carmen (Oh, the Book Feels!) Seda
Words cannot express how freaking much I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! Easily will be one of my favorite reads this year, and possibly of all time. I loved it so much that I emailed Lesley just to tell her. I can NOT wait for people to get this book in their hands!!! ADD THIS TO YOUR TBR LIST RIGHT NOW. DO IT. You won't regret it!!!!
Delia
Apr 06, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF. I'm sorry guys, I really did try. I was just so bored, and maybe this wasn't the right time for this book. I promise I'll try again sometime...
Sailor //
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

The gladiatorial parts of Rome is something that has always deeply fascinated me. There is very little to no historical fiction about it (especially in YA), which is just crazy because it's such an interesting topic. So this story was pretty original seeing as I've never read a book with this setting before. It was about female gladiators, so heck yeah for tough female characters. Sadly the first 1/3 of the book was kind of aggravating. Those parts seemed to be written li
Leah
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the premise. Loved the girl power. The actual story turned out to fall a bit flat compared to the hype that surrounded the book. The big twist was easy to guess because of obvious clues which was really disappointing.

It took a while to actually get to the gladiators, and the story dragged up to that point. The romance was a bit bizarre. Fallon goes from kind of liking someone to spending the rest of the book pining over his memory. The insta-love that comes later was a dud.

Overall, it wa
Jaime Arkin

Let me just start by saying that I loved pretty much everything about this story. I had high, high hopes because of some of the raves I had seen floating around, and it truly didn’t disappoint.

Fallon lives in the shadow of her older sister Sorcha who died in battle against Julius Caesar… she strives to be the warrior that she was and hopes her father will appoint her to his royal war band, even pushing the boy she loves aside to attain this one honor. Her father however has other plans

• No Good Deed
  • Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand, #1)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
  • The Freemason's Daughter
  • Glow
  • Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current, #2)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2)
  • In the Black (Tales from the Edge, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Retribution Rails (Vengeance Road, #2)
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • Among the Red Stars
  • Berserker (Berserker #1)
  • Banished (Forbidden, #2)
  • The Forbidden Orchid
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • Revenge and the Wild

The Valiant (3 books)
  • The Defiant (The Valiant, #2)
  • The Triumphant (The Valiant, #3)
“Are you a weapon or a target? Choose!” 24 likes
“Uri...vinciri...verberari...ferroque necari.
I will endure to be burned... to be bound... to be beaten... and to be killed by the sword.”
15 likes