Start by marking “Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)” as Want to Read:
Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)

Tarzan the Untamed

(Tarzan #7)

With the speed of the great apes, Tarzan rushed through the jungle toward his home and family. But he was already too late. The marauders had been there before him. His farm was in shambles and no one was left alive. Of his beloved wife there was only a charred, blackened corpse, still wearing the rings he had given her. Silently, he buried the body and swore his terrible ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 154 pages
Published (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Tarzan the Untamed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarzan the Untamed

Start your review of Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)
Quentin Wallace
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better Tarzan tales. The plot was a bit out there, but overall it moved well and kept me interested. This story takes place during the German Invasion of Africa in WWI, so we actually get to see Tarzan picking up a gun and shooting people, which was quite a change of pace. There's also airplanes in this story, another unusual event for Tarzan novels, at least up to this point.

The hidden city in the valley isn't quite as unusual but is still cool. Tarzan is a bit more violent in this o
Mike
Long on action, short on, well, brains. Burroughs uses a (seemingly) random heinous crime by the Germans in east Africa to jump-start Tarzan into some WWI German-hunting action, then just as he's about to retreat back to the jungle to mope, he gets dragged into rescuing a British airman captured by belligerent warriors, and finally all are kidnapped to a hidden remote valley of inbred whites. Unbelievable twists at the end of the final chapter left me cold -- the initial crime was a huge well-pl ...more
Paperback Junky
I'm so confused. I guess this book is a collection of short stories, like jungle tales of Tarzan. I need to go through it again in the short stories because some of this book was great and other bits of it just dragged on and on.

Some of ERB's worst dialogue I've ever read. Full exposition for expositions sake. It's almost as if he wrote some of it and then threw in some fanfic for the rest.

Even every plot thread is wrapped in the last two sentences and somehow manages to also include a cliffhang
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the most amazing book. Of course, it reflects all of its Western disdain for Africa -- Burroughs was as much a colonialist as any of the Europeans. But in this book, written after WWI (1919), but taking a point at the start of the war as its focus -- at the beginning of the book, Tarzan, AKA Lord Greystoke, has just learned that hostilities between Britain and Germany now exist -- the book presents the Germans as harshly as the propaganda against Germany published during the war, when Ge ...more
Tharindu Dissanayake
"We are not forever running as fast as we can from one place to another as are you of the outer world"

This book deviates much from the flow that the series had up to this point, in almost every way. The story is a little long, and presents a number of fronts to the reader and as always, ends with an epic conclusion, and giving a highly obvious clue as to how the next book will be carried on.

Compared to the books in the series so far, this is probably one of the best in the series in my opinion.

"
Travis
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Set during WW!, Tarzan believes that German soldiers killed his wife, so he basically decides to go after every German soldier stationed in Africa.
That's just how tough he is.
Lots of good fights, a death trap involving a lion and hardly a hint of political correctness.
Benjamin Thomas
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tarzan is away from his plantation home in British East Africa, and just when he learns that Britain is now at war with Germany in what would someday be called “The Great War”, his home is destroyed by invading German troops. Tarzan speeds home only to find it in ruins and his beloved wife, Jane, charred to a crisp. In Tarzan’s mind, all Germans must pay and so he trails them to the battle front in East Africa where he sets about exacting his revenge in brutal fashion.

Eventually, Tarzan decide
Robert
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tarzan Fans
I just read (really re-read) Tarzan the Untamed for the hell of it last night -- bored and needed a book -- so I might as well drop a quickie review here.

As Tarzan stories go, it is pretty plebian -- formulaic and dated (a lot of ERBs not too carefully hidden racism and his distorted view of Africa come through, and since this one is on Tarzan's participation in World War I the Germans are pretty bitterly portrayed as well.

There's a bit of his carefully circumscribed sexuality in it -- Tarzan ca
Ailish
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
More of the same, except for some ugly war-time sentiment and some 'ennobling hate' which becomes even stronger in Tarzan and the Foreign Legion during WWII. As WWI breaks out, the Germans make a beeline for the absent Lord Greystoke's farm in Central Africa where they commit terrible atrocities.

Reverting from Big Bwana to the Tarzan of the jungle and loincloth, Tarzan vows vengeance and does his bit for the British war effort, operating behind enemy lines to kill as many German soldiers as he
Lydia
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Howard
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all 24 of the Tarzan books. Read dates are from the mid 1970s through 1982. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Tarzan books. They made a great escape from high school and college. I still have all 24 books and they are at the top of my book shelf. I thought it was pretty neat to find the actual covers listed on Goodreads and there are no barcodes on the books, plus the cover price ranged from $1.50-1.95 for each book.
Theresa
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure
This series continues for far too long. It is more of the same in each subsequent book. I felt this book often repeated itself. I also don't understand why there is no mention of Tarzan's son after the book about him. It almost reinforces that Burroughs is writing for the sake of writing and not for telling a complete story. The transitions between different character's story lines was also difficult to follow.
Joanne
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
was very good but long 600 + pages and only read it at night b4 i fall alseep and on afternoons at work so toook a while, but he keeps with his interesting writing style and you have to keep clicking to see what happens!!!
Aaron Oelger
Not a bad book and certainly typical of Burroughs. I did not understand how John/Tarzan and Jack/Korak were separated and then we never hear from Jack/Korak again in this book. Odd. I wish ERB would have had a better idea of what to do with Jane.
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this one a lot. Tarzan's vengeance.
Hermeenie Drossos
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank heavens Edgar kept writing Tarzan tales...I'm addicted!!!
Last Ranger
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Messenger of Death:

Early in WW 1, about 1915, German forces invaded British East Africa in a campaign of terror and destruction. One of their primary goals was to force all British colonies and citizens out of East Africa forever. It wasn’t long before one of the German expedition set their sights on the estate of Lord And Lady Greystoke, Tarzan and Jane. What follows is a dark and violent Tarzan novel as the Ape Man tracks down the German solders responsible for pillaging his home, killing
wally
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tree-huggers, tree-swingers, the savage at heart
tarzan the untamed...#7 in the series. probably a good idea to read at least the 1st one or two before jumping around as i am doing...just finished Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar...both this and that on the kindle...there's only about a half-dozen kindle variations listed here at good-reads...wuzzup wid dat?...but half the fun of tarzan is those great covers the paperbacks had...so here i am.

#20 or so from burroughs-edgar-rice for me. i think the first burroughs, ever, was The Mucker...a great st
Ethan Nahté
By the Time Burroughs had written the seventh Tarzan novel, Tarzan the Untamed, in eight years, it feels as though Burroughs was already either exhausted or tired of writing about Tarzan's adventures, although he wrote several more books starring the Ape-Man.

Tarzan is away on a trip, only to return as quickly as possible to his home with Jane and all their servants and workers, for fear that the war (WWI) will soon be landing upon Africa's eastern coast. The German's, aware of who Lord Greystok
Stephen Brooke
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Tarzan goes to war against the Germans in ‘Tarzan the Untamed,’ the longest (and perhaps the darkest) of the novels featuring the King of the Apes. It is a true epic rather than another of the quick and sometimes tongue-in-cheek adventures one sometimes associates with Burroughs. That does not make it better than those, by any means.

I am not particularly convinced by the trench warfare he has transplanted to east Africa. That’s not too important; it’s not historical fiction, after all. And there
Drew
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather good entry in the Tarzan series, its origins as a serialized tale (I assume) are evident, as the plot caroms from one incident to the next with only the bare bones of an overarching plot to guide it.

The story is set in motion by the arrival of German soldiers at Tarzan's East African estate while Tarzan is away. Tarzan returns to find his home burned to the ground (the second time this has happened, by the way), his faithful servant crucified, and his beloved Jane burned to a crisp.

Th
Kristen (belles_bookshelves)
"I have all my life before me and in the jungle there is no reason to hate. We are not forever running as fast as we can from one place to another as you are of the outer world."

description

Okay, so first and foremost, I have a question.... Where is Tarzan's son? We see him as the lead in The Son of Tarzan, but then he's like, never seen, not even mentioned again. Are these books not chronological? Did he go live in the jungle with his princess? What's going on?

Anywho, that being said. This book is okay. We
Ed
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
#7 in the Tarzan series. Set in British East Africa in 1914 during WWI, the story has a German led raiding party burning Tarzan's plantation and slaughtering the inhabitants during his absence. Set over a hundred years ago, and written contemporaneously, the reader better understands the attitude of Tarzan towards all Germans. Less palatable, but a sign of the times, is the blatant racism as Tarzan describes the black natives as both savage and simple minded. Read as a product of its time, this ...more
Greg Strom
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This story had some very interesting elements and fine descriptive moments such as his trip across the desert and befriending Numa. Aside from that it was either a repetitive string of him saving Bertha, then her returning the favor, and then a step way beyond credulity when Usanga takes flying lessons in order to get his 24 wives (this from a dude who is afraid of one!). The tale completely lost me when they discover the lost city of Xuja. I am not sure what the point of that visit was, though ...more
James
Nov 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Definite one of Burroughs better ‘Tarzan Works’. This story follows Tarzan and the outbreak of WWI, more specifically in British and German East Africa. After a German General goes to Tarzan’s House and Land, Tarzan seeks vengeance on those involved and, at one moment, the entire German Army. Th story involves A LOT of anger by Tarzan, tough escapes, spies and an English Pilot.

In time, the focus turns away from ‘Tarzan v The Huns’ to Tarzan seemingly coming to the rescue of The Englishman and Sp
Christopher
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librivox, fantasy
LibriVox edition read by various volunteers.

A decent action novel set during WWI; in the first third of this book Tarzan becomes involved with national hostilities for personal reasons, then mostly puts those reasons aside when he and others become stranded in the African interior. Being noble of character, Tarzan tries to assist the Europeans in returning to their regiments rather than leaving them behind to live life as only he prefers - deep in the solitude of the jungle.

Once again the story-
Theresa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WW1 has just begun and a horrible tragedy strips Tarzan of his veneer of civilization and sends him on a mission of revenge against the German army. He ends up having many adventures involving a captured lion, a British/German spy and Parrot Kings.

Though most of the story was great, the conversation between the Lieutenant and Bertha after the crash was a little too corny and sickly sweet.

Footnote: 1) Neither my husband nor I had realized that the WW1 African campaigns had extended so far south a
Michael
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Tarzan story makes him seem too over confident and this leads to him making mistakes and then the secondary characters have to save his bacon many times.
The views of WWI countries were prevalent and most came off as being made fun off. The names of the characters were over exaggerated according to the country they were from.
Then the whole strange land in the middle of the desert almost made you think it was a mirage and not an actual place.
The ending doesn’t complete the story. It makes you
Dan Blackley
This one was written during wartime. Burroughs puts Tarzan into the war and has the Germans become another villain. Tarzan comes back from the Jungle to find his home destroyed and all the people slaughtered.
This book, number 7, leaves on a cliffhanger and should really be together with the next book, Tarzan the Terrible as one adventure. The plotting is a little out there. I will say this. Although I enjoyed the entire series, these were written at a time where the racial slurs were common pla
Kyle
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
There's a good pulpy adventure story here (hence the three stars), but it's buried beneath extreme amounts of racism and sexism that are difficult to wade through. This is a problem for the entire Tarzan series, but seems to especially meet a head here. I think I'll be taking a long break before picking up the next volume.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mystery Science Theater 3000: Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
  • Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese
  • The Inheritance
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation, #2)
  • The Heart's Pursuit
  • To Wager Her Heart (Belle Meade Plantation, #3)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • The Duties Of Parents
  • To Mend a Dream: A Southern Love Story (Among the Fair Magnolias)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Walt Disney's Alice In Wonderland
  • Henry VIII
  • H.G. Wells: Six Novels
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • King Edward III
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.

Tarzan (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • The Return of Tarzan (Tarzan, #2)
  • The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3)
  • The Son of Tarzan (Tarzan, #4)
  • Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (Tarzan, #5)
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • Tarzan the Terrible (Tarzan, #8)
  • Tarzan and the Golden Lion (Tarzan, #9)
  • Tarzan and the Ant Men (Tarzan, #10)
  • Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle (Tarzan, #11)

News & Interviews

“I don't intend to shoot at him but I might succeed in frightening him away if he attempts to reach us here. Haven't you ever seen a trainer work with lions? He carries a silly little pop-gun loaded with blank cartridges. With that and a kitchen chair be subdues the most ferocious of beasts."

"But you haven't a kitchen chair," she reminded him.

"No," he said, "Government is always muddling things. I have always maintained that airplanes should be equipped with kitchen chairs.”
0 likes
“Tarzan looked across at his companion in misery. "While there is life," he said, "there is hope," but he grinned as he voiced the ancient truism.

Lieutenant Harold Percy Smith-Oldwick returned the other's smile. "I fancy," he said, "that we are getting short on both.”
0 likes