Start by marking “Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)” as Want to Read:
Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)

Letters to the Lost

(Letters to the Lost #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  27,265 ratings  ·  4,456 reviews
Juliet Young always writes letters to her mother, a world-traveling photojournalist. Even after her mother's death, she leaves letters at her grave. It's the only way Juliet can cope.

Declan Murphy isn't the sort of guy you want to cross. In the midst of his court-ordered community service at the local cemetery, he's trying to escape the demons of his past.

When Declan reads
Published April 6th 2017 by Bloomsbury Children's (first published April 4th 2017)

·  27,265 ratings  ·  4,456 reviews

Start your review of Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)
Brigid
Apr 08, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary YA.
I still get messages asking me to write a book for Rev, which I did, and it was released last year. I wanted to update my review of Letters to the Lost to include the link to it: Rev's Book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... ...more
Warda
Reread!
Beautiful! Just beautiful!

I love that it is not just a love-story. There's so much more to it. It's so much deeper.
The tone of the book is heavy. Its pages are filled with grief and anger and misunderstandings. It was intense to read and a lot to take in because the burden that weighed so heavily on our main characters weighed on me.

I could’ve read many more pages. I never wanted their story to end. They found each in the midst of absolute despair and clung to the understanding they fo
C.G. Drews
REREAD #2: July 2018

Brb, just sobbing. I can't even say how powerful, how meaningful, and how emotional this book is. It seriously has STOLEN my heart and if I can ever write contemporaries half as good as this afjkdlsad I will die happy. And can I just say the audiobook is fantastic?? The voice actors put so much passion into it....the whole thing was just incredible.

MOMENTS:
☆ Declan breaking down in tears just asking and asking to be loved
☆ every time they talked about snap-judgements, and how
sunny
When I first saw this book I thought it would be a dumb, cheesy, and extra adorable cute contemporary with some like, forbidden romance or some shit that would make you sob your heart out for the characters (I DON'T READ BLURBS LMAO OK) and I avoided it for months. Since this was may's favorite sappy contemporary, I ASSUMED it would be what I described. OH HOW WRONG I WAS SOMEONE FEEL FREE TO PUNCH ME IN THE FACE!!

What I got was a book about labels, judgement, grief, love, acceptance, friendship
megs_bookrack
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hard-hitting YA Contemporary is vivid and heartbreaking. It literally left me an emotional mess, drying my tears from the puddle I was laying in on the floor.

I feel like a bad friend, but I can't help it. I can't force what I'm feeling to fit between chapters two and six in some handbook dealing with the death of a loved one.

Letters to the Lost, follows the lives of two teenagers in the wake of personal tragedies.

Through very odd circumstances they begin a correspondence, initially through
Alyssa
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO READ THIS BOOK IN ONE SITTING BUT I DID BECAUSE I COULDN'T STOP READING AND AHHHHHHHHH I'M SO HAPPY AND I CAN'T STOP SMILING AND WANTING TO CRY AND HUG THIS BOOK TO MY CHEST ALL AT THE SAME TIME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *incoherent blubber*

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Source: eARC from N
jessica
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
throughout my 27 years of life, i have tried so hard to not give in easily to over-the-top dramatics. but sometimes there are those stories, ones i read and i just cant help but do something thats a bit much.

first of all, this inspired me to buy a camera. like a full-blown professional camera. if you havent read this yet, watch out. you might end up buying a camera, too. second, i texted every person close to me and told them i loved them. and last, i made a (late) new years resolution to not t
Charlotte May
“One day isn’t your life…a day is just a day.”

Boy am I surprised with my rating!

Sana's review sums it up pretty well – I was expecting cheese, pointless teenage drama, a lot of sickening “I can’t live without you” melodrama, and not a whole lot else.

But I was WRONG guys. So wrong. This was full of pain and trauma, hope and love, desperation and fear, honesty and friendship. I cried. Real tears. Actual eye leakage. I can’t believe it.

So Juliet writes letters to her mother who died in a freak ca
Bhavya
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! It’s a must read even if you hate the genre. :)
"I don’t know what the point of this story is, except maybe to say that sometimes you get to a point where it hurts too much, and you’ll do anything to get rid of the pain. Even if it means doing something that hurts someone else."

Rating- 4.95 stars
(I know that's almost a 5 star but it's different in my head)

Content/ Trigger Warnings- school shooting joke, grief, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, car accident, cheating, the death of a sibling, the death of a parent, alcoholism

Letters t
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
I’m beginning to think I have a different idea of what’s emotional because I am yet again baffled by the lack of intense emotions I was supposed to have felt reading this. According to the reviews, I should be heartbroken right now. Destroyed. Spent. Instead, I was BORED. I’m sorry but I. Was. Bored. Out of my mind.

I appreciate the premise of the book, it deals with grief, anger, guilt, as well as healing and acceptance. To be able to move on and begin anew. All of which sounded so enticing yet
♛ may
You know when you need a book but you’re not even sure what you exactly need and then you win some theoretical lottery bc YOU PICKED THE RIGHT DAMN BOOK

That’s me right now.

description
(s)

I’m LEGIT a sucker for anything resembling You’ve Got Mail (you can blame Peppa Pig for that). This is like my 5th retelling book with a similar plot and gosh damn give me more.

But honestly this book was so much more than just passing cute notes back and forth, it was about sorrow and grief and friendship and family and g
Christy
5 stars

photo IMG_2849_zpsqwjw78up.png

“One day isn't your whole life. A day is just a day.”

Letters to the Lost is a stunning story about grief, moving on, and seeing past the ordinary. It’s a beautiful coming of age story that gave me so many feels. I adored it.

Juliet and Declan couldn’t seem more different if they tried. They go to the same high school, but they don’t run in the same crowds. Declan is a bad boy, and Juliet is a good student, into photography, and outgoing. Or she used to be, until she lost
Debra
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up to a 4

"Me Too" are words we are currently hearing a lot in the media, and these two words also pack a powerful punch in this book.

Juliet Young has always written letters to her mother who traveled the world as a photojournalist. When her Mother dies, Juliet continues writing her letters without thinking the letters will ever be answered. Then one day a letter was answered with two words "Me Too"

Two simple words that have a lot of meaning. Just who has answered back and why?

D
Mango
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every single human and mango in the universe
Recommended to Mango by: Bhavya
“We're all united by grief, and somehow divided by the same thing.”

I never realized how much I needed this.

Before starting my review, many thanks to Bhavya for this recommendation!

As you guys know, I usually don't care much for romance novels. I always find them too mushy and cheesy for my taste. So, when I started this, I was expecting cheesiness, annoying characters, and a nonexistent plot.

I was wrong.

Bhavya, you have changed my opinion of the romance genre...I didn't even know that's poss
Merphy Napier
Upon Reread: 5 stars

Honestly, it may have been even better the second time around. THIS BOOK IS SO AMAZING!

---------------------------------------

This is one of my new favorites. I obsessively read this book. So gripping and unique and simply amazing. So happy to have read it!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Letters to the Lost ★★★★★
#2 More Than We Can Tell ★★★☆☆

I’d heard somewhat mixed reviews from my friends on this book, but after learning that the ARC of Brigid’s I’d been approved for, More Than We Can Tell, is meant to be read after this one, I decided to go ahead and read it – and I couldn’t put it down. Don’t get me wrong, Letters is an incredibly sad story filled with grief, pain, and regret, but there’s also something tremendously heart-warming and comforting in Brigid’s writing.

“What
Nashita
“When everything goes to hell around you, the only way to go is forward.”

5⭐

I love this book soo freakin much!! This book IMO is not just a romance, it deals with anger. sorrow and loss and soo many other things<3

Plot
Our MC, Juliet writes letters to her mother who died a while ago. She leaves them in her cemetery knowing that no one else would see it or even care about it. But when Declan Murphy a teen like her who is battling anger and loss comes across these letters, he finally feels like
Aestas Book Blog
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED :::

Juliet Young writes letters to her mother... and leaves them at her grave.
She never imagined someone would write back...

***DEEP BREATH*** This book intrigued me from the moment I read the blurb. I like to find balance among all the books I read and since recently I've read many lighter, sexier romances, I was craving something a little more heavy and serious. This book immediately came to mind because the blurb really stuck with me -- the idea of char
✨ A ✨
Second Read

It was good the first time, it was brilliant the second time.

Brigid Kemmerer amazes me everytime. I forgot how addictive her writing is and how lovable and real her characters are. I felt their pain and yes, once again, this book made me cry like a baby.

If I could, I'd dive into this book and give all these characters a hug. I can't wait to re-read More than we can tell!

Buddy RE-read with this queen 🌠
____
First read 2018

YA at its best. I gobbled this book up in one night, I just cou
Zain Otoom
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Okay full five starts and added to favourites because I can’t stop thinking about this novel and how much I love it.
***
Rounding it up to five stars because I think it deserves it.
*takes deep breaths*
I’m crying. This was so beautiful I can’t even, bro. My heart got broken, mended and melted multiple times. What I loved most was—also is the same thing that broke my heart—Declan’s struggle with the labels and how people kept judging him without really knowing much about him at all. And while he h
Karla
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

I feel so lucky that so far all the YA books that I've read have been winners for me! I have to admit I haven't been reading too many of them lately since it's getting harder and harder to find good ones. But I want to say "this one, this one right here" is the reason I'll always read YA! "Letters To The Lost" was so much more than the blurb so so much more.

description

So here it goes Juliette, has recently lost her mom she feels lost without her, and so she starts writing her letters and leaving t
demi. ♡
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
❥ 4.5 / 5 stars

Have you ever been judged by others because of one mistake you did or only one side of you they see?

I have and I could say that it’s kinda sad because when they judge you, they might not even know the real you and the reasons why you did what you did.

Declan, one of the two protagonists, is also the one who has been judged by others because of the record he had and the personalities he showed but if you at least have a chance to get to know him (the real him), you would see that he
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
I know this was clichéd.
I know it was emotionally manipulative.
Right now, I don't care.
Because I stayed up until 3am reading this and my emotions are shot to bits.

Rating this four stars from underneath my veil of tears

Someone pass me some chocolate please. PMS is a bitch!
tappkalina
July 13, 2020

Watch my luck, because I have read 9 books this month so far and although two of them were rereads, out of the remaining 7, four are my new all time favourites.

I know everyone said how good this book is, but I never imagined it's THIS good. Wow. I sobbed from start to end. And what's better than crying together with the narrator? It's something everyone should experience at least once in their life.

The moral of this story is:
There are a lot of people out there in the world and you
emma
i just don't think the bad-boy-who-acts-like-a-total-dickhead-because-tragic-backstory-but-really-has-a-heart-of-gold will ever be my type.

and the same goes for girls in the same trope.

so, like. not for me. but i can see the appeal if i close one eye and try hard.
Sarah Elizabeth
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and NetGalley.)

“There is agony in that picture. Every time I look at it, I think, “I know exactly how she feels.””

This was a YA contemporary story, about two people brought together by grief.

Juliet was an interesting character, and it was clear that losing her mum had really destroyed her. I did think that the letter writing seemed to help her though, especially when Declan started writi
TeaAndBooks
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REACT TO THIS!
This book was... stunning and rather unexpected too. I loved the entire concept of it- the character development perfected this book for me!
With that said, this book isn't for everyone. It's sweet, cute and upsetting all at the same time! I'm a romance type person, but I hate it when the romance just doesn't work- IT WORKED IN THIS BOOK.

The author took the typical bad boy, good girl trope but she MADE IT HER OWN. She was able to make this book unique and specia
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Price drop to $1.99 at Amazon US today, 8/1/18*

Brigid Kemmerer does it again with a heartfelt, moving YA romance featuring a winning cast of characters. Get ready to feel things, folks!

I'm a huge Brigid Kemmerer fan, and I talk about her books to anyone who will listen. Her Elemental Series has not one but TWO books on my very exclusive all-time-favorites list, and I know what a true talent this author is.

Letters to the Lost reminds me very much of a Katie McGarry book in a good way. It is ver
ℨαrα
This is my 5th reread for the year and we're only halfway through January. Somebody please stop me because this is a problem.
I'd also like to point out that I'm rereading a contemporary. I think I'm coming down with something,
Jeannine Allison
5 Stars (Second Read 7/8/2018)

5 Stars (First Read 6/14/2017)

I'm a sucker for the secret admirer trope. Even though most of the time it's predictable, I always enjoy it and this was no exception. There were twists and turns I wasn't expecting, and the predictability of it wasn't really an issue because the author didn't keep the admirers a secret from the reader. I think that's the problem with some books of this trope, the author tries too hard and it becomes unrealistic, because how the hell co

• Alex, Approximately
  • Navždycky
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • Starry Eyes
  • Every Last Word
  • Zmizení Sáry Lindertové
  • The Fill-In Boyfriend
  • Tweet Cute
Brigid Kemmerer is the New York Times bestselling author of dark and alluring Young Adult novels like A Curse So Dark and Lonely, More Than We Can Tell, and Letters to the Lost (Bloomsbury), as well as paranormal YA stories like The Elemental Series and Thicker Than Water (Kensington). A full time writer, Brigid lives in the Baltimore area with her husband, her boys, her dog, and her cat. When she ...more

Letters to the Lost (2 books)
  • More Than We Can Tell (Letters to the Lost, #2)

Articles featuring this book

From the sprawling territories of Erilea to the 12 districts of Panem, YA superfans have covered a lot of familiar ground. To...
“One day isn't your whole life. A day is just a day.” 110 likes