Start by marking “Brazil, Indiana: A Folk Poem” as Want to Read:
Brazil, Indiana: A Folk Poem

Brazil, Indiana: A Folk Poem

Brazil, Indiana, is so much more than the crazed crazy quilt of fringed, frayed, fabricated dry goods of unique voice and character scored with the sore ache of waking life in the heart of the heart of the country. It’s a whirligig of worries and wonders, set piece work wigwagging out waves of distress, waves of warning, erratic centripetal directions on how to go nowhere ...more
Published January 2017 by Kelsay Books

To ask other readers questions about Brazil, Indiana, please sign up.
Brian Beatty My favorite poets include John Berryman, Frank Stanford and Norman Dubie, with Jean Valentine, Michael Burkard and Franz Wright figuring into my regul…moreMy favorite poets include John Berryman, Frank Stanford and Norman Dubie, with Jean Valentine, Michael Burkard and Franz Wright figuring into my regular reading, too. I don't really have a clearly defined aesthetic. (less)

Start your review of Brazil, Indiana: A Folk Poem
Ken Pell
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pick up a copy of this to add to your summer reading. I've lived in Brazil, Indiana all of my life (so far), and it brings back a lot of memories. No matter which town you're from, you'll take something away from the images and feelings here.
Christine
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I liked most about Brazil, Indiana is the way it reads almost like a novel, not in form but in depth of storytelling. I was being introduced to a cast of unusual characters. They are perhaps exaggerations in some cases, and the sense that the city is a place the speaker is glad he’s left is clear. However, the speaker is also of the place -- the pronouns used are “I” and “we.” I admire what Beatty’s done with this book.
David Lee
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A collection of voices here, from Brazil, Indiana, and the poems are wise and possess lyric qualities. Brian has a great ear. And the individual poems are, at times, quite funny. A great sense of humanity underwrites these poems. Love the sense of place that rises up here in the voices one hears. This is quite an accomplishment.
Lenora Drowns
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Take a stroll through the pages of Brian Beatty's book, Brazil, Indiana: A Folk Poem. Meander through the town. Look inside the shop windows. Get comfortable, but not too comfortable, at the dining room table.
Brian Beatty's observations and insights weave through the goings on in this Small Town, USA.
Something will seem familiar. You may recognize the summer parade or the street corner at midnight. You may recognize the high school jock or the old women. And as you linger in Brazil, Indiana: A F
David
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beatty writes with a distinct voice, both funny and authentic. His poetry takes you to a specific time and place and makes you glad you visited. Great stuff!
M. Sarki
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

Though decidedly unconventional, Brazil, Indiana delivers. There is no guaranteed comfort provided for a seeker of poetry, only endless vistas and claustrophobic instances. Irony as verse. Rarely recreational, the poet Beatty claws his way into a reality, leaving himself a bloody mess and his reader scurrying for a tourniquet and gauze. But all is not what it appears. A cleverness abounds and exhibits itself not only as a good time, but as a perfected meth
Justin Hamm
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This collection operates on a balance of familiar americana tropes and the weird human details that undermine them. "Folk Poem" is an apt description. There is a sense of the uncanny here that harkens back to the Harry Smith's famous Anthology of American Folk Music or the sort of outsider paintings made in the attics of farmhouses by self-taught talents. Even the language is off-kilter, lines usually taut in their straightforward vernacular but occasionally rambling to an end in an off-balance ...more
Craig
Jun 07, 2017
Andy
marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2017
Brian Beatty has published four poetry collections: Borrowed Trouble, Dust and Stars: Miniatures (Cholla Needles Press, 2019 and 2018), Brazil, Indiana (Kelsay Books, 2017) and Coyotes I Couldn't See (Red Bird Chapbooks, 2016). His chapbook sequence Hobo Radio: Magpies and Crows is due out from Ravenna Press in 2021.

Beatty's jokes, poems, reviews and short stories have appeared in numerous print