Start by marking “Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation” as Want to Read:
Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation

Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation

Game Feel exposes feel as a hidden language in game design that no one has fully articulated yet. The language could be compared to the building blocks of music (time signatures, chord progressions, verse)—no matter the instruments, style or time period—these building blocks come into play. Feel and sensation are similar building blocks where game design is concerned. They ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by CRC Press

To ask other readers questions about Game Feel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Feel

Start your review of Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation
Stacey Mason
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: game designers
Shelves: research
Game Feel is an interesting look at the phenomenon of controls in video games having "feel," whether they feel "floaty", "heavy", etc. Swink discusses at length what each of these descriptors means and how they are achieved. By examining these phenomena and illustrating his points with several case studies of popular games, Swink is able to construct metrics for defining game feel and ideas for how game designers can best use it to create their desired user experience. The book is filled with in ...more
Jordi de Paco
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Game Feel explains very important things, it's been a very useful read. However, it would have been even better if it had half the amount of pages. The author repeats itself over and over again leaving you with a constant feeling of "OK, OK, I GET IT". - Besides that, I recommend this book to whoever wants to improve the pleasure, feedback and control of his games. Swink details a series of principles for game feel that work as wonderful metrics for any design.
Carlos Gurpegui
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Una lectura muy interesante (casi que imprecindible) para los interesados en el diseño de videojuegos. Especialmente, como su propio nombre indica, para los más interesados en trabajar alrededor del concepto del game feel y la manera de lograrlo en sus juegos.

Cuenta con ejemplos muy detallados que ayudan a entender conceptos bastante complejos de una manera sencilla. Sin embargo, el libro tiene (al menos esta edición) varios problemas de maquetación y edición como algunas páginas que están, sim
Mizuna
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was good it described one of important element in game designing .
Sometimes while reading i felt board because of the same thing repeating and so much of unnecessary stuffs and i either felt confused or difficult to understand because the vocabulary was difficult it was more of a research vocabulary not common for any readers.
But overall was good and had good points.
Rakib Jahan
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty good analysis of games and theories with practical examples of different aspects of game feel. After reading the book I feel I understand game feel better but I honestly expected much more value from the book. Nevertheless it was good and worth checking out
Paul Yan
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, games
A deep analysis of what makes the sensation of virtual tactility feel good laced with a manifesto for making future games deeper and more satisfying using high level rules. Great read
Barret Gaylor
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a book on a particular aspect of game design that people don't really talk about much, but it is really worth your time to read.
Michal Domanski
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I really don't understand why this book is recommended in so many lists, including Raph Kosters favourites. The book feels like a survey in the form of a master thesis, written by a motivated student who tries to make his first impact. The book lacks coherency, contradicting itself in numerous chapters, depending on what kind of point the author tries to bring across.

The author states that in order to be able to compare games, you have to be able to measure them in the first place (which makes
Matt
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This book shares some essential concepts about game design and the many diagrams and pictures made it a pleasurable read.

Unfortunately, there are some severe quality issues:

Firstly my hard copy of the book has two blank pages that were not supposed to be empty.

Secondly the other introduces the book as half-theory, half-practical - telling you to play with the practical examples when prompted by the book because that's how you'll learn the most. However, 90% of these examples are no longer workin
Mark J Easton
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Deconstructs the elements that form the "feel" of video games with a sensible and structured approach.

In general this is a must-read book for aspiring games designers, but while there are numerous moments of genius, there are quite a few sections that are drawn out, repetitive and offer no real value for the reader.

Unfortunately there are also some sections that reference online examples that don't actually exist, turning what could have been a masterpiece into a useful but turgid read.

Nick Carraway LLC
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
1) "In each [game], a device overwrites one of my senses. The screen becomes vision, speakers hearing and rumble motors the sense of touch. The feedback from these devices enables me to experience things in a game as if they were objects in my immediate physical reality. I have the sense of moving around a physical space, touching and interacting with objects. The screen, speakers and controller have become an extension of my senses into the game world. The game world becomes real because the se ...more
Ivan Savić
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
There is nothing eye opening or something you as a gamer didn't know previously. Everyone knows about it but noone talks about it, as the author himself said. And that is why this book is good, it breaks down what makes a game feel, and although you know most of that, it just makes you to think more of those aspects of games.
Wesley Machiela
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't end up reading the entire book. I was more interested in looking at how game design can change the motivation of the player through out a game. There were some great details here that I could see myself using in a classroom setting with students!
Barclays Connect
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good incite into what makes a game feel good. Lots to think about in my own projects. Will probably reread this at a later date. If you are a game designer or in the industry at all its worth a read.
Kevin Powe
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wasn't quite what I was looking for (focuses on a specific kind of game experience) but the foundational theory in the first 140 pages is very helpful!
Benjamin
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A five star pamphlet that makes one good point, and that padded its way up to textbook length through sheer repetition.
Justin Liew
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This book covers a topic that no other game design book I've read covers, and this is both to its detriment and benefit.

Pros: covers game feel from the input device up through to the metaphor and rules of the game.
Cons: there's a lot of tedium in this sort of treatment. Describing input devices, dead zones, and the like, and analyzing multiple games from these angles became a bit redundant.

I think the book could be shorter: the first and last sections were interesting to read while the metric s
Jacinto Quesnel
Oct 26, 2010 is currently reading it
A must read for game artists, programmers and game designers at large.
Stefano
Nov 02, 2017

• A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
  • Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design
  • Replay: The History of Video Games
  • Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards
  • Wrapped Up Vol 1

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »