Start by marking “Liberty Begins (The Liberty Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Liberty Begins (The Liberty Series #1)

Liberty Begins

(The Liberty Series #1)

My name is Liberty and I'm a good girl. I come from nothing. I have no one but myself. Sometimes I do things I don't want to -- I do them because I have to. Stripping. That's my life in Vegas. And my boss keeps pressuring me to do more than just take my clothes off...

Then John Carter Quinn crashes into my life. He's an older, gorgeous billionaire in a thousand dollar suit.
Published January 2017 by CMG (first published August 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Liberty Begins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberty Begins

Leigh James
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I'm the author...it's a little weird to give a review! So I'll just tell you some pertinent details:

*Liberty Begins is intended for mature audiences because of sexual content and some violence.

*It's a cliffhanger. I'm sorry!!! The story naturally flowed that way, and I felt I had to stop where I did.

*The next Liberty book will satisfy everyone, I promise!!!

*When I was writing, I did casting for the characters...here's how I pictured Liberty:

jennifer lawrence photo: Jennifer Lawrence JenniferLawrence.jpg

*And here's John...yes I know, I know! I'm d
Brittany Holland
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I'd been gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

3.5 Stars.

I liked this story. I like the elements of action and suspense embedded within it, and I also liked the fact that this was a younger woman/older guy story because there aren't many out there so this one sort of stands out.

I liked Liberty, and honestly I liked the fact that she was stripper...well, I mean I thought it was unfortunate, but I liked the fact that she didn't let it define her. I also liked the way the
Ashley
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
❀ Crystal ✿ -
Copy provided by Author for Honest Review

When we first meet Liberty she’s a shy and introverted stripper working in Vegas. More shocking is the fact that she still holds onto her V-card. It’s easy to say this girl has trust issues and letting anyone in is not only something she never does but also something she never thinks will happen. Liberty feels lost in the world. She may be surrounded by glitz, glamour and more people than she could imagine but she can’t help but feel alone.

Being a stripp
Amanda
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 HOT,CAPTIVATING & SUSPENSEFUL STAR THOUGHTS

OMG how has no one told me about this book before? I can't believe it is not blowing up and people begging for Book 2! Because personally I am freaking out! I am so thankful I got a chance to read it! This book is AMAZING!!! Crazy good! The dark secret man whom I am in love with and the lady who may be a stripper but she knows who she is and doesn't let anyone get close! AHHH I can't say enough about it! Ok so let me see if I can calm down and tel
Sgiova
May 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book and book 2 in return for an honest review...Where to begin? The synopsis was spot on – the story went where it said it was going. The book started off promising. But in the end I think it was an epic fail, at least for me. I really wanted to like the book, the drama, the story the characters all had a fighting chance but I don’t think it was developed well. The love interests although obviously fictional, was WAY too unrealistic even for me. Not the age difference not the so ...more
April
*****Received this book for free via the author and goodreads in exchange for an honest review*****

I have mixed feelings about this book. There are things I liked and disliked. First off it started off a little slow for me. It didnt pick up until 20% into the book. Secondly, for the books I like to read, I need more interaction, more conversation between the lead characters. I dont want to read what the "inner voice" is saying. Or be told what happened through inner dialogue. I want to read what
Steph
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liberty is doing what she has to do to survive after her mothers death and escaping that horrible life. Unfortunately, what she is doing to survive is stripping in Vegas and going home every night to a run down, bug infested apartment. She is trying to hold on to herself and not step over the line into private dances and the "champagne room." But that line is getting harder and harder not to cross and Liberty doesn't know how long she can survive without going over it.

The last thing she expects
Kristen Cansler
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-review, r2r
Obviously this is not my normal read, but I enjoyed dipping my toes into a different genre. I'm still not sold on being a fan of New Adult, though. This was definitely a step in that direction, though. Leigh James is an excellent writer, and I'd seek out her works regardless of what age category they fall in.

My fault with this book (and other NA books, it seems) was the main character. There were so many times whenever I was left shaking my head at her rash decisions. I felt like the author sta
Kimberly Morris
I received a copy of this book in return for my honest review.

When I first started this book I was like ok....this seems good. It really held my attention for a while and intrigued me. However, as the story moved on there were more and more things that started to bother me about the story.

For example-
"I'm just a stripper" the word or profession, to me seemed to be used a little derogatorily. What because she chose to dance that some how made her less of a person? I bugged me!

Age difference. Now
Tina Lynne
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** I received a free copy for an honest review **

This book was a good read. It made me want to be a vigilante and fight the bad guys. ha. Liberty was a great character, one who grew on me the more I read. At times I was frustrated with her thought processes but it just reinforced how young she was and how she was naive in her thinking despite the fact she had seen and experienced so many things in her life. I enjoyed her personality and the ways in which she grew throughout the story. She grew a
Patricia
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

At the beginning of the book, Liberty is living a lonely life, stripping so she can have enough money to pay rent. She is only 21 and is lonely, shy and obviously different from the other strippers.

As we learn about Liberty and all that she went through, it is easy to sympathize and to like her. She lives a pretty sad life until she meets John and she feels like she has a reason to smile. They meet at the strip club and
Nadine Bookaholic
Ok, not sure where to start with this one. Liberty is a 21 year old stripper at a club in Vegas, she is alone and scared...her mother was a junkie and found herself hooking up with the wrong guys and the last one she was with was Trouble with a capital "T"..her sister took off a few years earlier to get away from everything....when her mother dies of an overdoes and Liberty takes off to Vegas.
John is in his early/mid 40s, ex-Navy, Something terrible happened in John's life 6 years earlier that
Jenn
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains adult subject matter and is intended for mature readers.

I love Liberty. She is spunky and she does not give up. Life keeps
throwing her lemons and she just keeps on making lemonade. She is living in
Las Vegas of all places, but she reads when she does not have shifts at the
club, and eats mac and cheese out of a box for dinner every night. Her car
won't go over forty miles an hour and she is very shy and private, not the
kind of girl that one would expect to work at a club, but she
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Book one:
I did enjoy the concept of this book but I feel like the relationship development between the two characters was very rushed. I also think that the transition of Liberty going from stripping and living in a bug infested apartment to living on the beach in a mansion needed a little more attention. I liked the twists that the book took and I really enjoyed Matthew's character. I did not understand why Lib
Nancy Miller
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally buy books that I know are going to end in a cliffhanger unless I have read previous books by the author. However, this book sounded interesting enough to catch my attention; so I took a chance. I am now glad that I did.
This is the story of Liberty, a twenty-one year old stripper who is struggling to make ends meet while maintaining her moral beliefs. Enter John, a forty something, well to do gentleman who becomes completely captivated by Liberty. And there is more to John than
Catherine Arnaud
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the plot of this story. Liberty has nothing more in her life, she lost her mother, she doesn't know where her sister is, and she has no money.
To save herself, she starts to work as a stripper in Las Vegas, trying to rebuild her life. She doesn't think she deserves better, and she has a huge problem with her self esteem.One day she met John, a misterious and sexy man who changes her life when she didn't expect and she sees herself obliged to face her old demons .
John is rich, beauti
Andrea
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Liberty. This poor girl is pretty messed up. She's had beyond the short end of the stick life thrown at her. Making do with the hopes of coming out on top, she is thrown into the arms of John -- literally. John isn't your typical hero but he is her hero and while helping her come to terms with the past that brought her to the present, she helps him just as much. Bringing him back to the land of the living.

I was annoyed and frustrated with how easily she gave in to her passion and feelings bu
Jessica
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2014, review
I was given a copy of this book for an honest review.
Let me start of by saying I really enjoyed this book. It was a little slow to start but not slow enough it didn't keep me wanting more. At about a forth of the way in I really started to enjoy the H/h. I was a huge fan of the age difference but I was able to over look it in the book because they worked good together. There were times I was laughing my butt off and times I was angry. John was amazig and kept me most intrested in the book. Liber
Beth
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book for an honest review. First, this book was one of those I couldn't put down from the start. I was hooked at chapter one. Liberty and Johns relationship was a little rushed for me, but for those who enjoy the "love at first sight"... its def for you! There were some interesting twists that kept me interested. I liked that it was suspenseful and of course had plenty of romance. As soon as I finished, I immediately started reading book two (which I LOVED)
Kim
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner! I loved the character development and the unfolding of both Liberty's and John's "inner demons". The reasons they were drawn to each other and how, though they are both seemingly "broken" by past events, they may possibly be each others savior. But will have too see how the sequel turns out!!
Kelly
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
really 3 1/2 stars. I can't wait for the next book. Liberty was a bit erky with all her inner whining. I would have liked more action especially when they found Ray. I love John and hope Liberty comes to her senses in the next book.
Shannon
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and can't wait for the next one to find out if she finds her! And find each other again.
Nikki
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely LOVED this book. It gives a different twist to the books I'm used to reading. Looking forward to many, many more books by Leigh in the future!
Andrea B
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It held my interest to finish it. I like headstrong sassy female and to me she just seemed whiny. The ending left me feeling like- all this for that???! I did not like it enough to read the next in the series
Shannon Cheatham
I received a free copy of the book for an honest review.

I enjoyed the idea of what was going on but there was just something that didn't do it for me. I like Liberty, most of the time. I liked the idea of John, most of the time. But... I never felt their love, seemed more like a hero worship/ complex to me. I personally felt like I was being told things (the Ray memory) instead of feeling an investment into the story and characters.

I probably would have enjoyed it more had Liberty been older,
Bobbi
**I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review**

Liberty is a young girl working at a job she hates. She's alone in Vegas with no family around and likes it that way. Nobody to bother her and nobody for her to be afraid of.

Then she meets John and her whole world is turned upside down.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat and kept me guessing throughout the whole thing. And I guessed wrong a couple times too!

It has the schmexy scenes, not too much and not too
Jana
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't mind the cliffhanger

I didn't mind the cliffhanger

I have not been fond of the recent trend of cliffhangers but this book was so worth it. Not entirely believable but we'll written and you really feel for the characters. I will continue reading The Liberty series because it is so well written and if this book was anything to go by it well be a rollercoaster of emotion with characters you just want to cheer on
Stephanie
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this story. It kept me on the edge of my seat as I turned to each page. I love Liberty all that she went through and still tried to be as normal as she could. And John wowee he maybe alot older but man they were suppose to be together. I loved how he protected her and he was so loyal. I hated about his broken heart something nobody should ever have to suffer. All the supporting characters in this book were awesome. Gonna read book 2 now
Megan
I did like this but I had a lot of problems with it. The age difference is a lot maybe a bit too much for me. I like insta love most of the time but this was worse, it was too quick and didn't make sense. Some things just didn't make sense, in the story line it was all over the place. The sex scenes where just terrible. I just think certain tweaks would have improved this book.
« previous 1 3 next »
New Adult Book Club: #195~ Liberty Begins ~ COPIES ALL GONE. 55 106 Aug 17, 2014 04:42PM

• Duplicity
  • Fair Play (Diamond, #1)
  • Heart Strung
  • Right Now (Seduced, #1)
  • Young Lies (Young, #1)
  • Pulse (Club Grit Trilogy, #1)
  • Never Understand Part One
  • Saving Toby (Toby & Claudia Book 1)
  • Picture Postcards
  • We Fight, We Fall (Fight and Fall, #1)
  • Saved By You (Destiny Bay: The Islanders, #1)
  • A Fine Profession (The Chambermaid's Tales, #1)
  • The Jaxon Effect (Jaxon Effect Trilogy, #1)
  • September Tango (Rhythm of the Heart, #1)
  • Damaged But Not Broken (New Adult Rockers, #1)
  • Forbidden Ballad - Rock My World
  • Cause
  • Touch of Eden
Leigh James is a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance. She's always been a writer. She started young (at six or seven), with a mystery about a socialite who drowned in a pool. (She'd probably been watching too much General Hospital with her Grammy!)

List of Leigh's Books:
Silicon Valley Billionaires Series:
Silicon Valley Billionaires: LAUREN
Silicon Valley Billionaires: GABE
Silicon

The Liberty Series (3 books)
  • Liberty At Last (The Liberty Series #2)
  • Liberty...And Justice For All (The Liberty Series #3)
“didn’t trust me. So I went” 0 likes