Start by marking “Asbaran Solutions (The Revelations Cycle #2)” as Want to Read:
Asbaran Solutions (The Revelations Cycle #2)

Asbaran Solutions

(The Revelations Cycle #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  717 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Nigel Shirazi was first in line for the chairmanship of Asbaran Solutions, one of the prominent “Four Horsemen” mercenary companies. First in line…until his drinking and temper caused him to fail out of college and get disinherited by the family.

Now he leads the life of a playboy, enjoying a stipend from the family to stay out of the way. But someone is out to get his
Published January 12th 2017 by Seventh Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about Asbaran Solutions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asbaran Solutions

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Asbaran Solutions (The Revelations Cycle #2)
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
DNF at 63%.

Nope. Nuh-uh. I just can't.

I honestly had every intention of just finishing Asbaran Solutions, just to get it done so I could give a full accounting of everything that I felt was wrong with it. But even getting this far was a struggle, and I don't have enough free time to waste on a book I'm actively disliking.

And it's sad that I'm DNF'ing this. The first book in the series, Cartwright's Cavaliers, was a rather fun Sci-Fi mecha romp, with plenty of action and occasional heart and
J.R. Handley
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
First, let me say that none of what I’ll say in this section couldn’t be found on the back copy of the novel. I wanted to provide a spoiler free review, so here goes nothing! Ultimately, this is a family saga, a tale of redemption and one mans journey to familial acceptance. One of the main characters, Nigel Shirazi was first in line for the chairmanship of Asbaran Solutions. It was to be his birth right, commanding one of the prominent “Four Horsemen” mercenary companies. That is until
Joshua Chausse
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another good book by Kennedy

Enjoyed this series and will now be reading the other 4 Horseman novels. Particularly liked the character development. Well done
Joey Calvey
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book

I thought this book was pretty good overall, but I liked Cartwright better. Don't let that put you off though, it is still an action packed space adventure in a well developed universe. Grab it!
Pat Patterson
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Papa Pat Rambles has expanded and extended commentary on the book.
Mad props to the people who did the cover, Brenda Mihalko and Ricky Ryan. Great spooky mecha art, and a design that fits in with the rest of the series.

Nigel Shirazi has spent his recent life hating his name. He hates his first name because it has become a personal acronym for repeated failure: "Never Is Good Enough: Loser." When taunted, he lashes out, and lands in trouble, sometimes in jail, and the cycle is then repeated
Jennifer Linsky
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have not read other books by Chris Kennedy. He has an impressive list of credentials, however, which leads me to believe that this book is an anomaly; that he simply took Mark Wandry's notes for Cartwright's Cavaliers and turned them into his own phoned-in entry in the universe. Like the Cavaliers, the Asbaran are broke, out of equipment, and in a serious pinch. Like the Cavaliers, they've got a young new Colonel who no one expects to succeed. And like the Cavaliers, they do, anyway.

And...
Cst
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-scifi
The first book was okay, this one isn’t.

First there is the fact, that I don’t care about any of the characters. I read the first book, I expect the second to expand on that basis. It doesn’t, it tells basically the same story again, only with idiocy as setup. Unlike the first book it never manages to make me care about the characters, I never buy their motivations and never relate to their problems. Then the later half begins and I get the feeling I have been here before. I suspect whenever he
Jim
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
No spoilers review. This book wasn't terrible, but it felt like a first novel for a new author. The dialog was hokey and predictable. The author relied heavily on sterotypes for the characters rather than putting the effort of developing them. I really felt no connection for the main characters and frankly didn't like any of them.

It really felt like the author hadn't read the first novel, but had a fact sheet and a list of buzz words to use. The continuity of the universe was shakey. For
Angie
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It is the 2nd in The Revelations Cycle, but it also works as a stand-alone novel. The author does an excellent job of showing the actions of various characters in different situations that are all taking place at the same time. This freeze-frame story style is easy for the reader to follow and gives a view that not many authors can successfully achieve.

Chris Kennedy’s military experience is evident in his attention to detail, both with the equipment used and the
Ryan Ohashi
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started off....and ended...

Unlike the first book this one was plain sad, as in sorrow. And made you feel like "what is the point and why even try" because three just was no high point, only lows, and personally I just don't enjoy books that only spiral down then end somewhat unfinished. The only thing that it did was that brothers and sisters in arms will give their lives for each other and I do understand that...

I just don't understand why this author would make it completely un-winnable, even
Sam
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Doesn't come close to being as good as the previous book.

The first disappointment was that I wanted to carry on the story from the previous book not start fresh with all new characters.

The second and longer lasting disappointment was that this is like a cheap knock off of the previous book. Similar storyline except that the main character in this is an arsehole. The whole book is just a bit crap compared to the first.

I'd recommend reading the first book and pretend it's a stand alone novel
Mkittysamom
Holy Smorgasborg of death

Wow... this time I learned about the Asbaran Corp, one of the four horseman. So apparently feuds go back a long time and throughout this one super Merc Assignment that Asbaran was trying to complete ... took a lot and was shrouded in death and mystery. So sad!! I almost hate the Alien bugs too... wow definitely a solid part of history with a specific focus on a certain battle within the Four Horseman..an almost a bankruptcy but.. well you just have to read it ::wink
Terence Thirteen
The first book in the Revelations Cycle, Cartwright's Cavaliers, was written by Mark Wandrey and was a solid five stars, for anyone into Mech Sci-Fi. Asbaran Solutions, the second book, was written by Chris Kennedy and just doesn't measure up to the first book. Luckily, the third book, which should be released on Audible soon, is written by the original/first author and I have high hopes that it will be as good as Cartwright's Cavaliers.

My advice: read the first book in the series, skip this one
David Beck
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nigel's family business the Asbaran Solutions mercenary company has had a run of bad luck, which leaves him as the last surviving son. He is determined to lead the company and rescue his sister who is being held hostage. Nigel is somewhat of a screw up and hot head but is able to grow as a leader and accomplish stuff that his much revered family couldn't do. Don't fall in love with characters, lots of people dying pretty much non-stop in this story.
Scott Fry
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

Chris Kennedy does a masterful job with Asbaran Solutions. I'm not used to reading a series where different authors write the books. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one.

I'm glad I was proven wrong. Asbaran Solutions was a great piece of work. The characters were realistic and fun to read. The action was smooth and the prose was powerful.

I'm going to have to keep moving forward with the Merc companies of Earth.
Byron Kamimura
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
When reading this book, you must keep in mind that the main character, Nigel, is NOT a Jim Cartwright. The back stories are different, personalities are different, current events and opening main plot mission are different. Not to mention ending of the story.
I enjoyed both characters and the different approaches each took to pursue their goals.

I want to read the prequel series more now as these characters are 2nd - 3rd generation characters of this fictional universe's story.
Leslie Baptiste
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book may be a series killer for me, too depressing

This book was very depressing, everybody dies or almost everybody. We want our heroes to win not to die we read books for entertainment and we want our heroes to succeed, there is enough tribulation and trials in the world that we don’t want to have it in some of our books. This may be a showstopper for me but read it at your own risk.
Jeff Nason
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A darker addition to the series

The second book in the series is a stand-alone novel with some links to the first story and a mystery that indicates further connections to come. Well written and edited, 1 minor grammar error found. While I did not personally enjoy the storyline as much as the first story, I am hooked and can't wait to start the next book in the series.
Donald McManus
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
War is death. This book shows this truth

A previous review stated this book was dark, it was. However, the subject of combat action is death. One truth throughout this book is that death is always there even for the characters you come to love. I do enjoy this series. This story was a slap in the face saying the reality of war in the future is the same as now.
Enrique
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great sci-fi story

The second book of the Four Horseman series is a fast paced story that leads the reader in an exciting ride. The lead character must takeover his family's nerd company after it suffers multiple mission failures. The defeats are not what they seem and a larger threat exists. As I finished the book, I was ready to begin the third book if the series.
Vernon Burt
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pretty good book, if not as good as the first in the series. This is a darker story in which the heroes are much less successful. Action is pretty good and the characters were likeable, even if some of the sidekicks were a little stereotypical. The universe, as before, is very well constructed and draws you in. The ending is confusing - it's not even clear if Asbaran Solutions still exists.
Ian
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a much better book. The action is more believable, the characters better written, and the flow of the story was significantly improved.

The thing I found annoying was that the author would spend the time to include the names/ranks of the squad .. just as they were blown apart. Incorporate that earlier in the book so it seems significant or not at all.
Ray Carter
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Four Horsemen Rock!!

This book along with the other "Horsemen" volumes, comprise a great "Mecha" adventure series. While each is unique in its own right, they tie together onto a coherent whole. Read them all. Highly recommend
Scott
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good

Although not as good as book 1 I found this to be still quite good and an interesting accompaniment to the first in the series. It seems that there is a larger plan to the conflicts that the merc companies are facing and the events found shall lead to a deeper issue.
Luis Cifuentes
May 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Poor follow up to the first book in the series

Poor writing, poor character development. Uninteresting plot. Simplistic writing. I ended up flipping fast through the last chapters to see if the ending had an intersting setup for the rest of the series. It didn't.
sean luehmann
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great follow up book.

This is a great universe to play in. As the second book in the serries iEnjoyed the entire book, but the ending had me wanting more. That being said it definitely worth the read
Kevin
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entertainment
More bleak and not quite as enjoyable as the predecessor book Cartwright's Cavaliers, but still a really good military sci-fi read. It's got me hooked to the point that I am definitely planning on finishing the series.
Konain
Dec 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Crap. Juvenile. Tried to finish just for form's sake if nothing else....but just couldn't.

One dimensional and unlikeable characters. Juvenile language with artificially inserted wisecracks that fail miserably. Plot with holes the size of a Raknar. What an astounding waste of time!
John
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to the series

I was wondering what was happening at the beginning but then this book took off the character development was great and the story line flowed along nicely

I look forward to the next one
James M Lewien
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is fantastic. Military sci-fi is so much better with this series being part of it. A well plotted universe with many moving parts reminiscent of the Fasa Battletech series of the 1980s and 90s.

• A Fiery Sunset (The Omega War Book 1)
  • The Midnight Sun (The Omega War Book 2)
  • Dark Moon Arisen (The Omega War Book 3)
  • Stand or Fall (The Omega War Book 4)
  • Dirty Deeds (The Omega War Book 6)
  • Sinclair's Scorpions (The Omega War #5)
  • Karma Upsilon 4 (Jim Cartwright at Large Book 1)
  • When the Axe Falls (The Omega War Book 7)
  • A Pale Dawn (The Omega War Book 8)
  • Do No Harm (The Omega War Book 9)
  • Empire of Machines (Jim Cartwright at Large Book 3)
  • Valley of Loss (Jim Cartwright at Large Book 2)
  • Weaver (Four Horsemen Tales #2)
  • Alabaster Noon (The Omega War Book 12)
  • Deathangel (The Omega War Book 10)
  • Legend (Four Horsemen Tales #1)
  • Sons of the Lion (The Omega War Book 11)
  • With Your Shield
A bestselling Science Fiction/Fantasy author and speaker, Chris Kennedy is a former naval aviator with over 3,000 hours flying attack and reconnaissance aircraft. Chris is an advisory board member of Hampton Roads Writers and a member of the SFWA.

Chris' full length novels on Amazon include the "Occupied Seattle" military fiction duology, the "Theogony" and "Codex Regius" science fiction trilogies

The Revelations Cycle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Cartwright's Cavaliers (The Revelations Cycle #1)
  • Winged Hussars (The Revelations Cycle, #3)
  • The Golden Horde (The Revelations Cycle, #4)
  • A Fistful of Credits: Stories from the Four Horsemen Universe (The Revelations Cycle, #5)
  • Peacemaker (The Revelations Cycle Book 6)
  • For a Few Credits More: More Stories from the Four Horsemen Universe (The Revelations Cycle Book 7)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Merc: Even More Stories from the Four Horsemen Universe (The Revelations Cycle Book 8)
  • CASPer Alamo (The Revelations Cycle Book 9)
  • Alpha Contracts (The Revelations Cycle Book 10)
  • Assassin (The Revelations Cycle Book 11)
“Yes, sir. Apparently some nut job named Chris Sommerkorn in Logistics sat on the requisitions. By the time he went to make the purchase, all the contract offers had expired and had to be renegotiated.” 0 likes