Start by marking “Chameleon” as Want to Read:
Chameleon

Chameleon

AN ISOLATED CONVENT. A SUPERNATURAL PRESCENCE. A DARK SECRET.

SHORTLISTED for the 2017 Dante Rossetti Awards for Young Adult Fiction!

How far can grief drive you, and how much sanity can it steal?

Puerto Rico, 1973

Published February 2017

To ask other readers questions about Chameleon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chameleon

Lin
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
''When you get close to people, you end up getting hurt''

Could't agree more with this I would call fact. And Paloma found out this for herself in this intriguing, breath taking yet scary story.

The review spoiler free

Since the beginning I was hooked. I loved the suspense and the atmosphere this book managed to create in my imaginary world and teleport me into the convent with Paloma the other girls and the nuns.

The writing style was really engrossing and it pushed me to turn on the pages and so
Chiqui
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Chameleon - Zoe Kalo

Chameleon has a mysterious, gothic horror feel and reminded me a a bit of the movie The Craft, and I loved the characters and the setting so much that I finished it within a day.

Before I continue though, I need to put some warnings here: This book deals with triggering issues such as rape, mental illnesses, drugging, and psychological manipulation. Please proceed with caution.

I was immediately enamored by the mysterious, misty setting from the first few pages. The convent is located in the mid
Jasmine
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chameleon is one of those stories that will confuse you, intrigue you, and make you question just how crazy some people really are.

Paloma is sent to a convent in the middle of nowhere after trying to summon her dead father via seance. While this doesn't seem horrible, to a teenage girl, it sucks pretty bad. Things seem to start going downhill not long after she arrives.

Paloma has to try and figure out if she's crazy, if her friend, Adelita, is crazy, or if what's happening is actually real. She
Books In Bloom
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for an honest review, and let me just saying im so glad i did. It was an amazing book. I’m not sure what makes me so drawn to it, but i feel like it definitely piqued my interest in this sub-genre…. which is like convent/mental institution + ghost + dark past/secrets.

The characters in this book were flawless. They were all unique and diverse in persinality. It was really fun learning about each character’s motivations and past. Most of the characters have some sort of interestin
FallingLeave
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book is special.

The characters are amazing and makes every flaw in the book alright again.

You have Rubia, Adelita, Silvy and Maria who become friends with the main character. They all have different personalities and this fact makes it enjoyable. There are also different backgrounds and some twists and turns I really liked.

It's written in a special way, and that makes it stand out from all the other books in that genre I have already read which is very important to me.

The only thing I real
Ctrl, Alt Books!
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me on the edge of my seat sort to speak! I absolutely fell in love with the characters and the overall synopsis.

When I read the synopsis I was expecting an “ok” book however, this book was nothing like other books I have read before. It kept me up late to finish which only so many books can do you will not be disappointed with what you read.

This is one book you will not put down or want to.

Add this read to your list, this is one you will not be disappointed about reading.

5/5

Title: Chameleon
Author: Zoe Kalo
Genre: YA/Horror/Paranormal
Rating: ****
Review: The opening chapter to Chameleon was very intriguing, it begins 1973 where two sisters; Paloma and Sara. Paloma is being dropped off at a boarding school of some sort. The reasons for them being taken there are clear yet but it is clear that neither girl wants to be there. The school is a convent which only seems to irritate Paloma as they have been sent here as punishment and she knows right away that she
books are love
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for honest review.

In simplistic words: surreal, creepy in its imagery (not a bad thing) and just yup surreal really.

Zoe Kalo uses imagery to give us some amazingly gothic and creepy imagery especially her description of the angel statue and when seeing Rubia with Madre Superiora. We have so many secrets, so many surreal moments and yet the gothic creepiness has your skin itch in a good way. Where knowing too much may just get you killed.

Each of the five girls have very disti
Tiffany Jones
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**I was fortunate enough to be gifted a copy of Chameleon in exchange for an honest review. **
All Paloma wanted to do when she decided to hold a seance was contact her dead father. But that was enough to get her kicked out of her school, so we join her as she begins her new school, in a rather isolated convent. Now, all she wants to do is be left alone and make it through the next 7 months until she can go home. She ends up bonding with a group of girls, kind-hearted Maria, tough Silvy, patholog
Trisha Smith
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I have really come to love the works of Zoe Kalo. I have been impressed by the books I have read from her and always look forward to any new ones she releases. I was excited to get to read this book and am so glad I did. As with her previous books, she hooked me from the start. I was instantly drawn in to the book and found that I was unable to put it down after. I read the whole thing in a day, though it is well over 200 pages.

Part of the reason the book was hard for me to put down was the wri
Deborah
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m going to start by saying that although I think the cover of this book is gorgeous, it is also highly misleading. This story takes place in a convent, and is about schoolgirls and nuns, so the strapless, corseted dress has nothing to do with the contents of the book, and suggested to me something far more romantic or fanciful. Having said that, once I got into the story, I really enjoyed it.
Paloma is sent to the isolated convent school after she is expelled from her last place for holding a s
Kim (_booksarelove)
I received this book as part of a blog tour with YA Bound Book Tours.

I wasn’t too sure about this one when I first started it but as it went on, I liked it.

We follow Paloma, a 17 year old girl who is shipped off to a convent after being kicked out of her previous school. Odd things begin to happen, and she isn’t sure whether or not she is imagining what she is seeing, or if it is happening and there are people trying to make her look (and feel) crazy.

I liked the writing style of this bo
Sheri
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chameleon by Zoe Kalo

Paloma get kicked out of her old school because she tried to have a seance to contact her dead Father. She is sent to a convent where she meets a group of (very different) girls. Each was sent their for different reasons.

Once again she tries a seance, then things begin to change for her. She seems to have awakened something evil, and people begin to die. She starts to question her sanity, not sure if she is seeing a ghost or just her imagination run wild. Who can she trust?
Dax Munro
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After being kicked out of her last high school, Paloma finds herself stuck in a convent/boarding school where nuns teach more than just biology and languages. Cruelty runs amock, but not everything (or indeed everyone) is as it seems.

I found this to be a chilling read full of unique mysteries that spiraled together, forming a complete picture at the very end. It's hard to tell who can be trusted in this YA Paranormal journey. Can Paloma trust her own mind when things start to look bleak? I wasn'
Crooked English
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story is set in a convent where Paloma meets interesting people.

I liked how Zoe created Rubia - crafty and endearing. How she wrote Rubia made her seem the most real character amongst others.

The story ends unexpectedly. The facts are just spilled out without any warning which is some authors style but didn't feel okay here. Also, I thought there would be more of Paloma and Rubia's confrontation. So...hoping for a sequel (or a short story to explain the after events.)

Other than that, I liked
Rivalie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm just a bit confused about what's going on...full review to come
Hobart
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Paloma is a few months shy of turning 18, graduating high school, and moving on with her life when people at her old school have had enough -- she's expelled from school and home. Her mother and step-father deposit her in a convent school with a mix of the privileged and orphans. Isolated, rejected, and defiant, Paloma determines that she'll endure the experience no matter what it takes.

At that time however, she hadn't considered the types
Sam - Spines in a Line
Thanks to the author and b00kr3vi3w Tours for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review! Read more reviews at my blog: https://spinesinaline.wordpress.com

Kalo is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors but I didn't enjoy this one as much as her previous ones. I thought there was a lot of potential here but it felt like it was missing something, mainly with respect to the depth of the characters.

Paloma is sent to an all-female convent where she meets a group of strange girls. Whil
D.K. Davis
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review – Chameleon

Author – Zoe Kalo

Genre – YA, Paranormal, Suspense-Thriller

First Line: Oak trees dripping with Spanish moss embraced us from both sides, but not enough to shield us from the prison that would be my home for the next seven months.

Review: Paloma, a seventeen year-old girl, holds a séance to connect with her dead father and instead gets kicked out of school then sent to an isolated convent for troubled girls.

The story takes place in Puerto Rico 1973

Ms. Kalo finely develops ea
Avery Taryn
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good, it gets one star off mainly because it took a while for me to get into it. Not only this, but I was emotionally detached from the characters, but that could have also added to the end effect of the book. Compared to all of Zoe Kalo's other books, I would have to say that this was her weakest in the ways that make her books 'her books'. I still enjoyed it, but not a thoroughly as the books from Cult of The Cat or Two Graves (which I 1,000,000% would recommend to everyon ...more
Sarah Davies
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An isolated convent, a supernatural presence, a dark secret…

17-year-old Paloma only wanted to hold a séance to contact her dead father. She never thought she would be kicked out of school and end up in an isolated convent. Now, all she wants is to be left alone. But slowly, she develops a bond with a group of girls: kind-hearted Maria, insolent Silvy, pathological liar Adelita, and their charismatic leader Rubia.

When, yet again, Paloma holds a séance in the hope of contacting her father, she aw
Stuckinthebooks
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay!! So this was my very first ebook read and I was not really sure if I will like it. Also, it was my first in the category of young adult fiction, thriller, mystery genre.

The protagonist of the book - teenager named Paloma had a bitter life experience and lost her father. She was shifted to a convent where she meets three girls - Silvy, Maria and Adelita in her dormitory and they become friends. She holds a seance and tries to talk to her father. The seance reveals a soul and dark history o
Lynndell
Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Thanks to YA Bound Book Tours for the opportunity to read and review Chameleon by Zoe Kalo! Paloma is taken to a convent to "repent, grow and become a better person", as the head nun tells her, even though Paloma feels as though she's being punished. She is dropped off at the convent by her mother, stepfather and her younger half sister, Sara, who is sad to leave Paloma. The reason Paloma is in trouble is because she tried conducting
Vikas
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was provided an e-book by the author's team for review

This book is set in a convent/orphanez where Paloma arrives after she is expelled from her school for doing a seance to contact her dead father. She meets Rubia, Silvy, Maria and Adelita. Book is nice with good flow and many questions thrown into the mix. We have all the good nuns, the motherly nuns, the sadistic nun and more. This is more of a psychological thriller with good dose of supernatural thrown in for the good measure. Then we ha
C.P. Murphy
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given an arc copy of Chameleon for an honest review. Chameleon is my favorite Zoe Kalo book, much better than Two Graves. I don't like to reveal any spoilers in my reviews so I won't tell you what happens but... This book had me hanging my the edge of my seat. Plenty of suspense. I could relate to the characters, there seems to be a bad apple in all school age groups and Chameleon definitely had one. Thing is, I wasn't 100% sure which one was honest and which one wasn't, until the end. Can ...more
Alicia
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
It took a really long time for me to get into Chameleon and I wasn't too sure about investing time into it. I had trouble finding any sort of emotional attachment with the characters and the ending was no real surprise.

In saying all of that, there were lots of twists and turns, surprises and suspenseful moments and if anyone was to ask me if they should read Chameleon I'd definitely say give it a go!
Liliyana Shadowlyn
A ghost story with a twist, Chameleon will have you guessing at every turn. Who can you trust, and what can you believe? Do you believe your own eyes and ears or are they deceiving you? How far can grief drive you, and how much sanity can it steal? A dark mystery that doesn't want to be revealed lurking in the shadows...

Received for review
A Colleen Jones
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, mess-with-your-head spooky read with the cat-and-mouse psychological games along with a possibly unreliable narrator, dark secrets, and spectral elements. I loved the setting and a great cast of characters.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-in-2017
full review coming soon
Cassandra
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It caught my attention from the first line and never let go. It was a wonderfully written story with very lovable characters. I would read it again and again.

• Love's Journey Home (Lincoln Love Stories #2)
  • Illegally Wedded (Legally in Love, #6)
  • The Marriage Pact (Loving an Aldridge, #1)
  • For the Love of Laura Beth
  • Moondance
  • The Billionaire's Stray Heart (Burke Billionaire Romance Book 2)
  • Loonies
  • A Snow Globe Christmas (Ornamental Match Maker Series #5)
  • OMG… I Did It Again?!
  • If I Could Stay
  • Arizona Forever: A love story
  • Spectacle
  • A Sweetheart in Paris
  • Christmas at the Lake (Great Escapes, #2)
  • My Fair Lacey & A Perfect Fit (Echo Ridge Romance)
  • Illusion (Song and Shadow, #2)
  • Sweet Illusions (Indigo Bay Sweet Romance Series, #4)
  • The Songs That Brought Me Back (The Songs #2)
A certified bookworm, Zoe Kalo has always been obsessed with books and reading. Reading led to writing—compulsively. No surprise that at 16, she wrote her first novel, which her classmates read and passed around secretly. The pleasure of writing and sharing her fantasy worlds has stayed with her, so now she wants to pass her stories to you with no secrecy—but with lots of mystery…

She’s had the go