Start by marking “Clean Breaks (Practice Perfect, #3)” as Want to Read:
Clean Breaks (Practice Perfect, #3)

Clean Breaks

(Practice Perfect #3)

Published February 20th 2017 by Crimson Romance

To ask other readers questions about Clean Breaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clean Breaks

Start your review of Clean Breaks (Practice Perfect, #3)
Stacee
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it

I downloaded this on a whim.

I liked Sarah well enough. She's smart and driven and is {rightfully so} going through a crisis of sorts. And yet, I didn't feel connected to her to completely root for her. I loved Jake. He's well mannered and stands up for himself and others. I wanted things to work out because I wanted him happy.

There was a lot of backstory, but it didn't feel fleshed out. I only got a vague sense of why everyone was angry -- or perhaps the explanation given seemed small
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I'm a huge fan of Ruby Lang - her characters are smart and flawed and her friendships come across very real. I think I've mentioned this in previous reviews, but the girl friendships in this book are not all cupcakes and wine. They challenge each other, and have attitudes and reflect what I feel like is a true friendship.

All that being said, this is the first time I'm going to give this author less than four stars. For me this was a 3.5 star read, which is still good! I just didn't connect with
Ana
I'm an emotional mess right now. I'm dying with giddiness.
Jackie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
ARC from Netgalley

Dr. Sarah Soon, "maker of lists, taker of names, kicker of asses," has just finished being treated for Stage 2 Melanoma. Before her illness, Sarah was a hard-driving, take-charge, always-in-control kind of gal. But since her cancer diagnosis, she's been strangely unmotivated and lethargic, unable to bring herself to return to the OB part of her OB/GYN practice.

Enter Jake Li, a friend of her older brother's, a guy who had been a constant in the background of Sarah's life for
Shruthi
I bought this on a whim because I was in the mood for a good, satisfying romance and I'm so glad this book delivered. I thought it had a very realistic portrayal of what it means to have complicated relationships within an immigrant family and the larger immigrant community and how that can wreck many interpersonal relationships as an adult. At the same time, the fact that so much of this book was about forthright communication, not only between romantic partners but also family members and ...more
Meg
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Smart, sexy, an absolute delight to read!
InD'tale Magazine
This heartwarming story has an original plot, following Sarah as she overcomes her cancer but is left even more vulnerable when she is faced with Jake.

Read full review in the 2017 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Emmalita
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clean Breaks completes Ruby Lang’s Practice Perfect series and I feel like this series is going into my rereadathon rotation. Of the three, I think this one is my favorite. It feels the most comfortable.

Sarah Soon is an Ob/Gyn who, prior to the book’s start, was diagnosed with melanoma. Treatment was successful and she is cancer free, but the diagnosis knocked her for a loop. While celebrating her cancer free status, she runs into her brother’s best childhood friend, Jake Li. Jake is newly
Xan West
Review to come.

Content Warnings: (view spoiler)
Kate Cuthbert
This is the third of Ruby Lang's Practice Perfect trilogy and the third I've read. I was excited to read Sarah's story and I loved the elements of self-discovery and personal-growth-as-a-journey throughout. I also really enjoyed a different Sarah from those portrayed in the previous books, a Sarah who has had her confidence shaking. Though I did think the handling of the issues was done well and with a pleasing realism, I felt the over-arching conflict about the past and the present (and the ...more
Jenn
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Loved, loved, loved Sarah. But this book was so hard to get through- it hit too close to home. The slut shaming Sarah had to face was infuriating and honestly the only ending I would have been satisfied with, was everyone else falling into a pit of fire and being burnt alive.

Sarah’s brother is a fucking asshole. I despise toxic family dynamics and I can’t read them. Even if it’s for plot. Toxic family members should be left in the dust.
Julia
(4/2019) My yfavorite of the bunch, which is a surprise. I hadn’t liked Sarah much in past books. This story was the most enjoyable, though Jake isn’t as adorable as Adam (their brief bromance was adorable, however). Winston is a weird story appendage that doesn’t make sense as anyone’s friend, but I guess there had to be an intermediary friendship to explain Sarah and Jake knowing each other but Jake not supporting her in a forgivable way.
Jess
Sep 21, 2019 added it
Shelves: afreviews-2019
Clean Breaks is one of those deep emotion-driven novels that is a little tough for readers like me who prefer bigger external plots in their contemporary romance. A lot of this book is Sara and Jake diving into their emotional baggage and finding that elusive work-life balance, it's a slow burn that focuses on healing and confronting the past.

Ellie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up

I felt the pacing was a bit uneven, especially the last 10% had one too many things happening. Like the Asian rep in the book and the whole messed up family dynamics that we see.

I'm looking forward to Ruby Lang's new series starting in the summer of 2019.
Melanie Greene
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series - I loved the old friends seeing each other in a new light plot, and how honest and open they were with each other while they dealt with their differences. Excellent characters, great banter, and strong chemistry.
Kate
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Truly terrible

This was done of the worst schlock I've ever read. I wish I could have the four hours of my life that it took to read this back.
Kristin
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I actually enjoyed this book the best of all in the series. It took me a little longer to get into, but the characters were especially well done.
Mel King
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book. I like that the characters are of Asian descent. I don't really see many books about that so I was glad to find this book. It was a good read. :)
Kimberley Ash
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
A solidly romantic, exquisitely written story. Not much to add except that Ruby is an insta-click for me now.
Amanda
I think Sarah is my favorite MC of this series - loved her and the chemistry with Jake!
Mysterious
So good. I really liked how Jake kept resisting toxic masculinity.
Tressa
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I liked the complexity of Sarah and Jake in Clean Breaks. I also liked that their families were complex. I do hope, though, that the Soons will find a middle ground.
C.J. Butcher
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Sarah Soon may have recovered from cancer—in body—but her brush with mortality has left the usually confident OB/GYN shaken about her future and herself. When she unexpectedly runs into Jake Li, her brother’s annoying high school BFF who betrayed her trust, he’s the last person she wants to see. She doesn’t need the now-disturbingly hot social worker hanging around while she sorts herself out, yet suddenly he’s inescapable.

Everyone’s telling the newly divorced Jake that he shouldn’t be looking
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A romance full of sharp, witty dialogue, with characters who feel like real people.
Amanda
A solid final book in a great trilogy. There was a lot to unpack in this book with regards to some of the main themes. Sarah experienced major slut-shaming based on one incident in high school and fell out with her family (whom it seems like she was never close to) because of it. She’s made a life for herself as an OB/GYN in Portland. But when the book opens, Sarah is just recovering from skin cancer, something she kept from everyone but her close friends in Portland.

Jake has known Sarah his
Christine
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, asian-character
I requested this simply for the sheer novelty of a cover featuring an attractive and contemporary Asian couple.

Jake Li is a recently divorced Taiwanese-American social worker with "A+ forearms", a beard, an astronomy hobby and a rescue dog named Mulder. He's kind and patient, with a latent possessive steak that made him, to his own surprise, unexpectedly growly. I adored just about everything about Jake and wanted him to get a fantastic HEA. I just wish his HEA wasn't with the prickly,
Pelusa Rivera
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Received an ARC for my fair review for netgalley. I really did not enjoy this as a romance book. I did like Jake, and could not understand why he continued his pursuit of Sarah who continued her grudge with him, it happened in the past get over it. I understand that Sarah went thru an ordeal, but she was not a happy person, so I could not connect with her. I honestly felt he could have done better.
Amy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading Ruby Lang and this was no exception. She writes beautiful love stories and yet fills them with so much angst and anxiety, along with the humor and lust and tenderness. I can't help but root for the heroine (and hero!) to get to a better place and find their happily ever after. I also like that Lang develops a rich cast of supporting characters, showing the interactions and relationship development with friends and family members, as well as with each other. In this one, Sarah and ...more
Pgchuis
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

3.5* rounded up.

Sarah, who has just been given the all-clear after treatment for melanoma, runs into a childhood friend, Jake, who has just got divorced. Jake had a crush on Sarah when they were teenagers, but she has never forgiven him for not standing up for her after she was discovered making out with a boy. Sarah's parents stopped speaking to her, Jake's minister-father made a moral example of her, and she left home, became a
poppy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice little read i quite liked it perfect for a lazy weekend.I liked Jake he was so sweet and deserved happily ever after just with someone else i wanted to like Sarah but just never got there damn can that woman hold a grudge.Other than that its a good read.

• The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • Best of Luck (Chance of a Lifetime, #3)
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • Not Another Family Wedding (Chin-Williams, #1)
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • Beginner's Luck (Chance of a Lifetime, #1)
  • He's Not My Boyfriend (Chin-Williams, #2)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • Luck of the Draw (Chance of a Lifetime #2)
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • The Ultimate Pi Day Party (Baldwin Village, #1)
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Ice Cream Lover (Baldwin Village, #2)
  • Lush Money (Filthy Rich #1)
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1)
  • Making Up (London Celebrities, #3)
Ruby Lang is pint-sized, prim, and bespectacled. Her alter ego, essayist Mindy Hung, has written for The New York Times, The Toast, and Salon, among others. She enjoys running (slowly), reading (quickly), and ice cream (at any speed). She lives in New York with a small child and a medium-sized husband.

Practice Perfect (4 books)
  • Acute Reactions (Practice Perfect, #1)
  • Hard Knocks (Practice Perfect, #2)
  • Practice Perfect: The Complete Series