Start by marking “Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #1” as Want to Read:
Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #1

Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #1

(Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie)

When the teenage brothers Frank and Joe Hardy are accused of the murder of their father – a detective in the small resort town of Bayport – they must team up with the femme fatale Nancy Drew to prove their innocence (and find the real guilty party in the process) in a twisting, hard-boiled tale, complete with double-crosses, deceit and dames. Inspired by new crime classics ...more
Published March 8th 2017 by Dynamite (first published March 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys

David Schaafsma
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie brought me back to having sisters in my house where The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and the Bobbsey Twins were consumed by us book after book. We were not wealthy, but we had money for books, and we had sets of these books. What I recall about them in the light of this comics volume is that there was no real serious danger. There was a little page-turning suspense, but things would always work out. You knew this. The characters in these books were “good kid ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I absolutely loved Nancy Drew as a kid; while I was never a big fan of The Hardy Boys, I always enjoyed their crossover stories. Naturally, when I saw this ARC on netgalley, I was pretty eager to check it out, and once I heard that it was an edgy, modern take on the old gang, I thought for sure this would be a delightful trip down memory lane for me.

Sadly, I was mistaken. The artwork in this is muddy, dull, and dated; while a fan of classic comics may enjoy it, it wasn't for me in the slightest.
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys of your youth, this is darker almost sort of noir. It's dark and gritty as the Hardy Boys have been accused of killing their dad whom everyone says was a dirty cop. They didn't do it and will do anything to prove it and team up with Nancy drew and sort of do things not so legal to get the info they need. The end it was like oh my! when you find out what really had gone down.

The illustrations are really good too and I just like the dark tone of the graph
Brandon St Mark
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on the two characters/series. A little short on story, but this has good potential.
Jessica Woods
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie is a graphic novel that brings to life an all grown up Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys. On trial for their fathers murder, the Hardy boys get a little help from their friends as Nancy shows up to help solve the case. Driven by a strong plot, the book excels at story telling while drawing the reader into the mystery. The art and colors create feelings of nostalgia with an old school drawing style that would have been great illustrations for the original bo ...more
Dana Cristiana
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and Anthony Del Col for this story!

When I was younger, I used to watch Nancy Drew movies and enjoyed them. When I saw this graphic novel, I knew I had to read it!
There are two brothers, the Hardy's: Joe (the blonde) and Frank (the brunette). Their father was murdered and they are accused of doing it. Nancy Drew, "the birdie", will be the one who helps them discover the real criminal. They were good friends back in the childhood, searching for childish myst
Jessica
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, mystery, comics
Well, this is going to be a good series! Huge Nancy Drew fan, and this brings her together with the Hardy Boys to solve the murder of their father, Fenton Hardy. The Bobbsey Twins are around and Tom Swift too! Basically a comic revolving around all of Stratemeyer's popular children's lit characters. All about it.
Jamie Canaves
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm definitely intrigued and will be picking up issue 2 since this one was the backstory for the Hardy Boys and how they are where they are now and you only get a bit of Drew.
Pamela
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the noir style and can't wait to read the next issue!
Erica Robyn
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
When I first heard that this cross over was going to be released, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! But when I found out that it was digital only, it slipped deep down into my TBR list... Unfortunately this one didn't live up to my expectations. However, I think the series as a whole has potential!

My thoughts:
Hm. This is a tough one to review. This read definitely didn't live up to the hype that I had given it... but perhaps I just need to be patient and check out the rest of the series.

As
Mindy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is not the light-hearted mystery series we grew up reading but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The series kicks off with the adult versions of Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys coming together to investigate the murder of Fenton Hardy. The boys have been blamed but know they would never kill their own father. The trio end up tying things to a local drug ring and investigating Nancy's father, who is acting shady, on their journey to find the truth.
I loved Nancy Drew stories as a kid and read
Amanda Borbe
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I LOVED this dark, pulpy twist on the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. I read a lot of these characters growing up so it was great to see a more adult take on their mysteries. The graphics had a wonderful "classic" comic book feel with the type face and layout, but the story line felt like it could transcend time/age (minus the references to modern technology of course). I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Laura Gorman
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A more adult and modern take on the childhood classics Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. The subject matter is more hard hitting but the stories not the less touching. You will be rooting for the three protagonists through all the twists and turns and after reading the last page you will be left wanting more,
Melanie
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Maybe because I am a huge Nancy Drew fan and changing her character doesn’t fit for me, or because I’m still not a graphic novel person, I didn’t like this. I think the main reason, though, is that it wasn’t a complete story - it just started a story. I feel like if you’re going to have a story it should have a beginning and an end, not just stop in the middle. Is that a graphic novel thing that I’m not getting?
Faith
I received an ARC copy via NetGalley (Thank you so much!).

Never read the Hardy boys but Nancy Drew books were some of the books that got me obsessed with reading as a kid. I heard about this comic book because apparently it's written by an alumnus of my university and had to pick it up because it sounded like Riverdale (my fave tv at the moment) but with Nancy Drew (my ultimate role model).

I loved the plot of this comic, combining these two well-loved series and modernizing them. The main plot
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I have to be honest: I had a very hard time slogging through this dark and very boring mashup of of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys with noir. I know it is an interesting concept: meld crime noir with the young sleuths we grew up reading in our childhood. But something just doesn't work here: all of the personality and character of our intrepid teens have been removed in favor of a bog standard murder mystery with generic lead
Susan
I loved this modern retelling of Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys! As a huge fan of these two franchises I was not disappointed. I loved the old school style drawings and the mystery was perfect ND/HB. Except there was no kidnapping. There should definitely be kidnapping in the next volume. I loved little touches like bringing Tom Swift and the Bobbsey Twins in briefly and Nancy having a blue VW convertible. I am looking forward to more installments in this series!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publis
Laurie Beemer
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was definitely not what I was expecting but it was a fun quick read. I have always loved these three characters from as far back as I ca remember. This was a unique take on the Nancy Drew Hardee Boys story. I enjoyed this a lot. Thank you for allowing me to read this and write a review.
J.D. DeHart
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first read that this book would be about Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, my mind flashed back to the illustrated books that were coveted by my friends decades ago. The artist has given the source material a facelift and what I found was a thoroughly modern and well-illustrated adventure book. I would gladly add this book to my classroom shelf.

In many ways, The Big Lie reminded me of the graphic novel adaptations I have read of Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider books and Charlie Higson's Young
Terri
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm becoming a big fan of classic characters getting a reboot (like Riverdale), and The Big Lie doesn't disappoint. The comic takes goody-two-shoes Nancy Drew along with the Hardy Boys into a darker noir storyline. The mystery is real when the Hardy Boys have to find out who hurt their father, and Nancy's on the case with them.

I loved the storyline and can't wait to read more of this series. As for the artwork, it was in the classic style, but there was nothing that set it apart to create a big
Katie
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, color me intrigued. Of course, I'm a sucker for any Drew/Hardy crossover and I freely admit it. This comic also briefly pulls in Tom Swift for an on-screen appearance and the elder Bobbsey Twins also get a reference (and aged up a bit).

The comic starts with a bang, that's for sure. Frank, Joe, and Nancy are NOT the teens you may be used to from their previous incarnations. Whether that's going to alienate readers or drag them in will depend on how things progress. I will definitely be con
Hauntedbybooks
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I grew up reading Nancy drew and when I saw this in the read now section of NetGalley I knew I wanted to try it. This was a lot darker and edgier read. The mystery kept me wanting to keep reading!I also thought the artwork was unique and dark. I liked this and I plan on checking out the next volume.

I received an ecopy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
pinkladyhaley
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Babs
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Super first issue. The perfect mix of intrigue and and exposition. The Hardy Boys are in a hard situation, suspected of murder.
Reminds me a bit of the Riverdale tv series. Except...it's Nancy Drew!
She better be driving a Mustang....Adored the Nancy Drew Files as a kid.
Erik Weber
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Look forward to the rest of this series and maybe an Encyclopedia Brown counterpart someday?
Emma Kay Krebs
2.5 stars. There's potential, but I'm not sold on the characterization. The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew have charm for a reason, some of which I feel is being lost here. Interested to see where it goes.
Kristin El
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, comics
Not your grandma's Nancy Drew. Not too much Nancy in this issue either. Another murder mystery story.
Brittany
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Short

The story is very short. Even tho it's suspenseful, it's very short. It's got a good hook and good story line but needs more meat before it ends.
Steph
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, comics
Classic teen detectives of my childhood back in a new hard boil noir detective comic series. Can't wait to read the next one!
Bob Morton
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors/Dynamite Entertainment and am providing an honest review.

When I was a child, back in the 60's I was introduced to the Hardy Boys books. Every month I would get the next one in the series. I fell in love with both mysteries and reading with those books. Never did read any Nancy Drew, those were for girls. After I had read a few my dad told me that he had read them growing up. That confused me because they talked about al
Anthony Del Col is the co-creator and co-writer of the acclaimed IDW Publishing series KILL SHAKESPEARE, which has been nominated for Harvey and Joe Shuster Awards. The series has also been adapted into a stage show, board game and is currently in development for television with Universal Cable Productions. He is also the writer or co-writer of ASSASSIN'S CREED, ASSASSIN'S CREED: ORIGINS (Titan) a ...more

Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie (6 books)
  • Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #2