Start by marking “The Afterlife of Holly Chase” as Want to Read:
The Afterlife of Holly Chase

The Afterlife of Holly Chase

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9,467 ratings  ·  2,527 reviews
On Christmas Eve five years ago, Holly was visited by three ghosts who showed her how selfish and spoiled she'd become. They tried to convince her to mend her ways.

She didn't.

And then she died.

Now she's stuck working for the top-secret company Project Scrooge--as the latest Ghost of Christmas Past.

Every year, they save another miserly grouch. Every year, Holly stays frozen
Published October 24th 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Afterlife of Holly Chase, please sign up.
Brittney It explains all of this very early on. They do tell you bits and pieces of her visit throughout the first part of the book. Ghosts can eat and drink,…moreIt explains all of this very early on. They do tell you bits and pieces of her visit throughout the first part of the book. Ghosts can eat and drink, but it isn't something they need to do to survive. And if Holly leaves New York her body shuts down, because she is only a ghost that the Scrooge Project has elected to exists, so she doesn't exists outside of it. So that means she can't go to see her dad in LA. Plus, she has made piece with the fact that it would do more harm than good at that point. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  9,467 ratings  ·  2,527 reviews

Start your review of The Afterlife of Holly Chase
Emma Giordano
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I know Christmas was yesterday and a lot of y’all are probably not interested in just now starting a new Christmas story but you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. This book completely took me by surprised. I had no idea I would love it as much as I did, but it totally blew me away.

I really loved the concept of this book (the synopsis does not do it justice). 17 year old terrible girl is visited by three spirits who show her her past, present and future if she does not change her way (Yes, it is an A
Zoë
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Such a fun holiday read! This had a lot going for it, as it's a retelling of a story dear to my heart, A Christmas Carol. Plus, it's set in New York City during Christmas - and there's fantastical elements, including zombies. Totally recommend this book if you're looking for a fun, addictive read with some romance thrown in.
Emily May
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc, 2017, young-adult
Everyone started sniffling at that point. Everyone, that is, except me. I never did the crying thing. It would have ruined my makeup.

I actually really enjoyed this. I went into it expecting a classic Scrooge story: a deep, meaningful tale about learning the error of your ways and becoming a better person through love of your fellow man (i.e. in this case, hot dude), but you should know - this is actually a very light, silly, feel-good book.

I definitely didn’t expect to like this as much as I
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
3.5*
Fun and quirky, a real festive story! I got a little lost along the way but ended up enjoying myself in the end.
Chloe
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
A fun, slightly cheesy (in the best way) Christmas read & I loved it :')
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
It was good!

Mel
Whitney Atkinson
DNF at 150 pages

This book was just awful and I couldn't take another page of it. The writing is so weak and outdated and cringy and these were not believable teenagers at all. (The main character says "whatevs" unironically no less than 20 times) Maybe it would work as a mid-2000s Disney Channel Original movie, but as a book in 2019, I was really struggling to get through it. So I decided to stop trying.
Lola
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I cannot believe Cynthia Hand wrote this book. Someone please tell me it’s actually a ghostwriter, because I can’t bring myself to imagine the author of the magnificent Unearthly series and co-author of hilarious My Lady Jane really writing this book full of clichés.

You’d think there wouldn’t be this many, given the original premise of a secret Christmas organization with the goal of ridding the planet of Scrooges. But oh, the characters are so stereotypical.

Actually, I expected Holly Chase to
April (Aprilius Maximus)
WHAT THE HECK???? This book snuck up on my poor lil heart and SNATCHED IT
Heather
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

Wow...I was not expecting to like this...at all. I heard so many negative/mixed things about it so I went into it expecting to hate it. I ended up really enjoying it, loving it even.

If your a fan of Hand's books, this is NOT like her Unearthly trio. It's written more like her work in My Lady Jane, which I loved by the way. It's full of sarcasm, dry humor and wit. Very funny with some depth and the ending---loved!

I thoroughly enjoy it & it's a perfect Christmas read but you could read
monica kim
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this is a perfect book. i read it in one sitting, and couldn’t put it down, and i’m honestly debating reading it again already.
Cynthia Hand
Feb 08, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
We have a cover! Head on over to www.cynthiahandbooks.com to check it out!
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

Without stories, we’re all just lonely islands.
Stories let us see and hear and feel what someone else does.
They build bridges to the other islands.
That’s why stories are so important.
They create true empathy.

Story
Holly Chase is not a good person. Even after her dead step-mother appears and tells her about three ghosts that will visit her - past, present and future - she stays the same person. They show her all the memories, the present and her death, telling her that if she changes for
emma
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
young adult?! fantasy?! CHRISTMAS??!!!

all my dreams are coming true.
Trina (Between Chapters)
I loved this! So perfect for Christmastime. I loved how this was not only a retelling of A Christmas Carol but also analyzed the tropes and archetypes from the original story. There were several quotes in this book that struck a chord with me, which of course I have no hope of finding them since I listened to the audiobook and didn't stop to note them.

Audiobook review: Erin Spencer narrates wonderfully. Highly recommend.
Dania
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Christmas Carol retelling done beautifully! I couldn't expect anything less from Cynthia Hand. After reading My Dear Jane, I fell in love with her style of writing, and The Afterlife of Holly Chase was no different. It was unlike anything I have ever read before. It was a little bizarre reading this book in May, but I definitely can't wait for Christmas!
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was a cute book! I didn't like it quite as much as everyone else, but it was a sweet read. I would equate this book to a Netflix/Hallmark Christmas movie, which is always good when you're in the mood for that sort of thing. The writing and characters didn't wow me, but I had a good time and I really loved the ending.
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
BITCH, OKAY. I was ready to give this book maybe a 4.5, but THAT. ENDING??? I'd be lying to myself if I gave it any lower a rating.

I think this review will be filled with me not only praising this book, but Cynthia Hand herself, being that she's one of my favorite YA authors ever. Her Unearthly series will always remain close to my heart.

Before reading this book, I was fully convinced that I'd seen or heard of every Christmas Carol adaptation under the sun, but this one was really interesting.
Lori
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a retelling of A Christmas Carol staring a perfectly heinous teenager as Scrooge. I kept thinking she was in purgatory after she died. I don't remember Dante having a section for people stuck at one point in their adolescence. I for one would sincerely repent whatever offense that I had committed.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was cute! Not the best thing I've ever read, but I can definitely see myself re-reading this for future Christmases.
Carly Aikin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is now MY FAVORITE BOOK, and I didn't think I could love it more than Cynthia Hand's Unearthly series. Had to check this out from a friend who got an early copy.

I cried my eyes out!!! Loved the love story at the heart of this supernatural and often really funny book. It starts out so much fun and builds to this beautifully heartbreaking conclusion.

Holly Chase is your classic LA bitchy girl who on Christmas Eve is given the chance to repent but tells the ghost to take a hike. Then she dies.
Karen Barber
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seems weird reading this in May, when the book isn't due until October, but I must thank edelweiss for giving me the opportunity to read this early.
There's very few people that will not be familiar with the story of Scrooge and his shot at redemption. With untold students having to study 'A Christmas Carol for GCSE I can see this being an interesting companion piece.
So, in this story we begin with Holly Chase showing us - in full glory - why she's so deeply unpleasant. The knowing nods to
Lisa
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves the Christmas Carol and YA readers
Recommended to Lisa by: I received an advanced reader copy for review.
Holly Chase is the very definition of a Scrooge and every Scrooge deserves a second chance. Fun YA retelling of the classic Christmas Carol with a few great plot twists that I never expected.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I honestly don't know a single person who doesn't speak highly of Cynthia Hand. I've been her fan ever since Unearthly, Tucker is one of my favorite book boyfriends and I've read all of her books.

I'm also really liking her new approach to ya literature. She always comes up with something unique and really out there. Her work still has her signature charm.

Even though The Afterlife of Holly Chase is her shortest book yet, I didn't think it was lacking in any way.
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
“a loving heart is the truest wisdom.”

this was absolutely the most perfect read for this time of year and i’m so glad i have enjoyed it this much! i was a little worried before going into this, as people and reviewers i trust had INCREDIBLY differing views on the afterlife of holly chase. so naturally, i was hoping to still like it but was very much scared that i’d be one of those who didn’t.

the main character, holly chase, is so fucking unlikable and, additionally to her being a total brat,
Erin
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
God Bless us, every one!

Confession time: I love Christmas! I love everything about Christmas, the music, the movies, the books, the lights, the food, not to mention the reason for the season Jesus.

I know some people think Christmas doesn't start until after Thanksgiving but....

Fuck them!

I've been listening to Christmas music since the second week of October.

Now on to the review.

The Afterlife of Holly Chase is an irreverent new take on the Charles Dickens story A Christmas Carol. Our main
Natalie Monroe

Because The Afterlife of Holly Chase was published in October instead of December, I thought this gif especially appropriate.

Ready? Sing along with me now!

On the twelfth day of Christmas Cynthia Hand sent to me:
12 helpings of warm fuzzies
11 Dickens references
10 pop culture nods
9 scoops of light-hearted fun
8 bundles of holly-wrapped Christmas Spirit
Some unlikable characters that change
and remind me of a protag I wrote once
5 well-written platonic relationships
4 feminist quips
3 plot twists
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Give me a Christmas book any time of year! This is my first time reading a book by Hand, though she seems to be well known based on other reviews of this book. Can't wait to read more from her. Anyway, this book was a pretty neat YA take on a classic Christmas story. If that's your thing, I recommend it! Note: I won this in a goodreads giveaway.
Merphy Napier
(sorry you've been updated on this so many times. I keep going to write my review and getting interrupted so all you see is my rating or that I changed the shelf it's on)

What I liked:
- The Scrooge Project is a really unique and interesting concept, and the way a large number of people had to come together to pull this thing off was really cool.
- Readability. The writing style, combined with the concept of the story made this book really easy to pick pick back up. Even when I wasn't loving what
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
The Afterlife of Holly Chase is a modern retelling of the Christmas classic, A Christmas Carol, where the secretive organisation, Project Scrooge, are tasked with turning one Scrooge per year around. Holly Chase is doomed to spend the rest of her afterlife as the current Ghost of Christmas Past having failed to change her greed and materialistic ways. She believes that nothing will change the script she's been tasked on performing every year on Christmas Eve, however, this year's Scrooge may ...more

• 10 Blind Dates
  • Winterwood
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Sadie
  • The Chaos of Standing Still
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
Cynthia Hand is the New York Times bestselling author of several books for teens, including the UNEARTHLY trilogy, THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE, MY LADY JANE and MY PLAIN JANE (with fellow authors Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows), THE AFTERLIFE OF HOLLY CHASE, and the upcoming novels THE HOW AND THE WHY and MY CALAMITY JANE (also with Ashton and Meadows). Before turning to writing for young adults, ...more
“Stories let us see and hear and feel what someone else does,” she explained. “They build bridges to the other islands. That’s why stories are so important. They create true empathy.” 32 likes
“Without stories, we’re all just lonely islands.” 20 likes