Start by marking “Justice Burning (Darren Street #2)” as Want to Read:
Justice Burning (Darren Street #2)

Justice Burning

(Darren Street #2)

Former defense attorney Darren Street is desperately trying to put his life back together after spending two years in a maximum-security prison for a murder he didn’t commit. He’s rebuilding his law practice, reconnecting with his son, and falling more deeply in love with his girlfriend, fellow attorney Grace Alexander. But the past casts a long shadow, and for Street, the

Published July 11th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Justice Burning, please sign up.
Trish R. You should probably just read cozy mysteries if you don't like a book with REAL language in it. Do you expect to read a book about a maximum security …moreYou should probably just read cozy mysteries if you don't like a book with REAL language in it. Do you expect to read a book about a maximum security prison and all that goes on in and out of it and not have the F-bomb used, and other swear words used, too? Yeah, you should read nice clean cozies! And swearing has nothing to do with speaking English. Good Grief! A swearword is only as dirty as your mind. (less)

Start your review of Justice Burning (Darren Street #2)
Matt
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Scott Pratt, and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

I have always loved Scott Pratt's work, as he is able to get to the core of the issue while entertaining those who love a good legal story. Returning to add a second novel in this new series, Pratt reminds readers of Darren Street, who has been out of jail for two years. Falsely convicted after being framed b
Tulay
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent thriller.

Be prepared to stay up late with this book. Read everyone of his books, and they always makes me think. This new Street series are excellent.
Darren Street character is someone that you want to slap some sense into him while holding in your arms. What he went through in the last two years, left him with DTSD. Wants a vigilante justice, police and justice isn't there to help him, they want to punish him. His girlfriend, ex-fiance is trying, but she reached to her limit too. Can'
Lee
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
An entertaining read but I have to say I enjoyed the first book in this series much more. There is a lot of killing in this story (and I mean a lot) and this focus led to a lot of predictability that was a little disappointing, still three stars from me. Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Marilyn
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read all of Scott Pratt's books to date and enjoyed all of them, UNTIL this one. I found this one to be a thoroughly unpleasant read and even a morally reprehensible plot. No matter how unfair life treated Darren Street, the subsequent actions taken by him in this book are not justifiable. ...more
Jean
I read book one of this trilogy in 2015, but for some reason or other I just got around to reading book two.

The book is well written. The story is set in Knoxville, TN. Our protagonist is trying to put his life back together after serving two years for a crime he did not comment. He is back to being a defense attorney. He is a very angry man. The plot is interesting, the pace is fast and there is lots of action and suspense. Morally, the story is challenging. I cannot wait to read book three to
Joann
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I won this free Kindle e-book in a Goodreads Giveaway . Thanks. Since I won this book, I wish I could give it a five star rating but in all honesty, I can't. First of all, I'm blown away by all the stars this got? Maybe it is me, but who enjoys reading this kind of stuff? Not my kind of murder/mystery. Way to violent for me and the so called "good guy" comes off as a jerk at times. ...more
Katie
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Not good

Darren Street is beyond redemption in my eyes I had to find a reason to finish this book but it wasn't for its likeable main charecter
Nancy E. Schadt
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Love Scott Pratt's Joe Dillard series. Couldn't stop until I read all eight books. While I like Pratt's crisp, concise writing in "Justice Burning", I cannot like Darren Street. Despite the trials he endures, which are most vividly described, he is too cold blooded and calculating to be believable as the flawed "good guy". His form of vigilante justice, handed out to those who have wronged him or those he cares about, is cruel and inhuman--hardly the actions of a lawyer whose job it is to uphold ...more
Tracy T.
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really do love this series! Great Narration by James Patrick Cronin (audible review)

It is a page turning awesome series. Can't stop listening to them.

The story is amazing! Things are happening all the time. There are bad people, and some people just need killin. LOL

If you haven't read this series I totally recommend it! Just do it.

As for the narration, its great. Very enjoyable listen. James Patrick Cronin does a great job on all the voices.

Read this series people! Its great.

sue Blackwell
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Disappointed

I've enjoyed every book Scott Pratt has written; however,this book and character are disappointing. I don't know where he's going with this character and storyline, but at best I would describe both as troubling.
Robin Donahey
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Darren Street is an a$$hole

Although I enjoyed the first Darren Street book, I really don't understand why he had to turn into an a$$hole in this one.
He went from being the underdog lawyer,caring father,and son who adored his mother,to a soulless vigilante who murders 4 people, turns his back on his son, and apparently his unborn child.
This book goes wildly off the rails of believability, and I only finished it in the hope that Darren would get his act together, stop killing people,, and get ba
Brittany Lindsay Tefft
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scott Pratt never disappoints in his page turning thrillers! Hopefull we will see more of Darren Street.
Jill R
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was ok. But, for me, it just wasn't believable. ...more
Pat Patterson
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I obtained this book through the Kindle Unlimited program.
There is a huge, gigantic, gaping flaw in the book, and I read through the negative reviews, and scanned the 4 star reviews, to see if anyone mentioned it. They didn't. So I will.
But before I do that, here are my reasons for liking the book (and therefore assigning it 4 stars).
Darren Street is a horribly wounded human being. First, he is the son of a violent alcoholic. He only escaped abuse and rescued his mother by beating his father wit
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: one-night-stands

A few years back, I read An Innocent Client by Scott Pratt, the first in the Joe Dillard series of legal thriller/mysteries. I haven’t read all eight titles in that series, but all the ones I have read were crisp, entertaining, and fun reads. So I was happy to get an advance copy of Justice Burning, a new title by Scott Pratt featuring new attorney Darren Street, from Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

So (spoiler alert) I REALLY liked this book! The characters were
Nenette
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vigilantism - to condone or not? I am torn, actually; but I err on the side of good. I am also torn if I will let my opinion of vigilantism affect my review of this book. I am more inclined to not let it.

This second installment on Darren Street is a lot disturbing than the first one. He'd done things that were wrong, and without even an ounce of remorse, yet he still was a person with feelings and reason (some legit, some crooked); he still recognized the dividing lines between right and wrong,
Chris C
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad. A quick read and to be fair, possibly too quick! A very relentless book which is the 2nd in the series and see's Darren Street exacting revenge, outside the law on people who have wronged him, leading to disastrous results.

Less on the legal/court room side and more of a thriller, even more so than the first in the series.

Ok and will no doubt read the third book at some stage.
Elyse
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Another level of personal tragedy and desperate upheaval for Darren Street, the series main character.

Clearly dealing with PTSD from his rigged felony conviction and two years in prison system. The psychiatrist expected to help him is inept (big surprise), yet right-on-the-mark in predicting that he'll eventually rupture emotional connection and ethical choices.

Brutal choices follow, with no apparent consequences for our "hero." Might read one more in the series, but was disappointed by the plot
Carl Deskins,III
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review of a very good if not excellent!!!!!!!!

I choose to relate this book as excellent,even though, I realistic had no choice because it is an excellent read!!!!!!! I questioned the start-up theme but like life is it get better with time!!!!!!!! I
would recommend this book to anyone that loves suspense and a book that makes you think!!! It was an excellent read that I hope will continue!!!!!!!!
Susan Hawthorne
Versatile author gives us a new view!

Dark, Bright, Disturbing, and makes you think! Love Scott Pratt's books. Keep 'em coming!
Dee Green
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This story took a turn I didn’t expect and I don’t think I liked it. The character did not seem to be the same person as in the previous book. I just thought it was a bit weird.
Jan
Interesting plot line; morally ambiguous protagonist.
Jim
Oct 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
A complete mess. Totally ridiculous and over the top violence.
farR
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exciting new series

Very good. This is the second book from Scott Pratt's new series. I've read the 1st one and I think this series is going to be as successful as the Joe Dillard series.

Although the main character in each of the two series are complete opposite their stories are just as exciting. Four stars.
Janet Carson
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle-read
When I won the second Darren Street (Kindle) book through GoodReads, I hadn't read the first, so I read that before starting on second (I gave it 3 stars). It was a smart thing, too, because some of the surprises in first book would have been a bit ruined if I had read the second book first. However, if I had read second Darren Street novel first, I'm not sure I would have gone back to read the first:

I enjoy lawyer-crime novels and appreciate when the lawyer-as-protagonist is an honest, law-abid
Joyce
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good read

The 2 Street book I’ve read. Not great but a decent read. It was different than most of this type of book.
Keith Curran
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful And Important

With crystal pure prose, thrilling events and expertly drawn characters, we are presented here with a clearly complicated moral dilemma right off the bat. Our author confronts us, immediately, brilliantly, and without a shred of moralizing, via the HERO, the central character of the book, with something I don’t believe I’ve ever encountered before. Our hero-lawyer becomes a vigilante. An UNREPENTANT vigilante! In the face of who he is, what he represents, and what he DOES,
Kimberly Hicks
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Legal Thrill Readers
Recommended to Kimberly by: Amazon
Shelves: read-on-kindle
My favorite attorney turned vigilante is back and better than ever in the second installment of the Darren Street series. Well, that’s not totally true. He’s not better than ever. Darren has a few hiccups trying to piece back his life and move on from being wrongfully incarcerated by a blind justice and an even more corrupt Lady Justice, if you will.

But despite all Street’s woes, he’s maturing and trying to keep it pushing, so much so, that he proposes to his girlfriend, Grace Alexander, who hel
Tere Fredericks
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Sleepless Night

To let anyone who may not read any of my reviews, I will let you know I review as I read. So far, I have given away no spoilers. I intend to keep it that way. But for me, writing my thoughts as I read keeps the books fresher in my mind. I write my notes in a separate app then copy over. It's also my way of ensuring I don't unknowingly reread a book from Kindle Unlimited. Hooray for KU, except writers only get credit for one read. If I read a book that I will re-read, I sav
Denise
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.

I'm not going to give a story outline here as there are plenty out there.

This is book two in the Darren Street series. It can be read as a standalone, but I think I would have benefited from reading "Justice Redeemed" (book one) first.

Overall I liked the story line, but for a few things that made me rate the book lower. I started out liking Darren and truly felt sorry for him, but as the book went on, I found myself liking him less. (view spoiler)

• Silent Witness (Cass Leary Legal Thriller, #2)
  • Devil's Bargain (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #3)
  • Stolen Justice (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #4)
  • Between Black and White (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #2)
  • Blood Evidence (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #5)
  • True Intent (Nate Shephard Legal Thriller Book 2)
  • Blind Conviction (Nate Shepherd Legal Thriller Book 3)
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
  • The Last Trial (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #3)
  • Lethal Defense (Nate Shepherd Legal Thriller Series Book 1)
  • The Final Reckoning (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #4)
  • Burden of Truth (Cass Leary Legal Thriller, #1)
  • Imminent Harm (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #6)
  • The Lawyer (Michael Gresham #2)
  • Faith and Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 2)
  • Power and Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 1)
  • Incriminating Evidence (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #2)
  • Attorney at Large (Thaddeus Murfee Legal Thrillers #4)
Scott Pratt was born in South Haven, Michigan, in 1956, and grew up in Jonesborough, Tennessee. He was a veteran of the United States Air Force and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from East Tennessee State University and a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the University of Tennessee. He passed away in November 2018.

Darren Street (3 books)
  • Justice Redeemed (Darren Street #1)
  • Justice Lost (Darren Street #3)

News & Interviews

Signed up for the 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge and looking for tips on how to discover and read more books? We’ve got your back. (And if...
“The system can be cruel. Not just cruel, it can be downright barbaric.” 0 likes
“I’d just bought a pistol and a silencer without even having to tell the guy my name. What a damned country.” 0 likes