Start by marking “The Religion of Technology: The Divinity of Man and the Spirit of Invention” as Want to Read:
The Religion of Technology: The Divinity of Man and the Spirit of Invention

The Religion of Technology: The Divinity of Man and the Spirit of Invention

Are religion and science really at war with one another? Not according to David F. Noble, who argues that the flourishing of both religion and technology today is nothing new but rather the continuation of a 1,000-year-old Western tradition.The Religion of Technology demonstrates that modern man's enchantment with things technological was inspired by and grounded in religi ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Penguin Books (first published September 16th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Religion of Technology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Religion of Technology

John Carter McKnight
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: academic
An important thesis marred by (1) history-as-list and (2) heavy reliance on a handful of other secondary sources, the ones I'm familiar with being much more interesting and readable. Excessive use of analogizing and definition-switching, along with cherry-picking: in numerous instances historical figures acknowledged as secondary or trivial are quoted at length because they support the author's thesis. Marxism is covered in a single sentence.

Read Nye's _American Technological Sublime_ or Werthie
Len MacRae
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good survey of the reliance on religion that technology has for long displayed. Some of the information may be common knowledge, much of it is not, but having it collected together is very valuable.
The two minor issues that I have are minor critiques. The first being the date of publication. Nothing to be done about that, but I would love to have updates about the last twenty years. Second, the parts that I most enjoyed were the conclusion and appendix. I wish that they were long
Bud
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Noble traces technology back to roots in religion particularly certain key ideas - moving the human race back to Eden, for example. I found the early chapters that were focused on early Christian teachings heavy going but the themes he was tracking became more evident as he described development in computers, space exploration, and biotechnology.
Muhammad Fakhruddin
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Bila baca buku ini barulah sedikit sebanyak faham asal-muasal Prof. Seyyed Nasr menulis buku Man and Nature. Sangat berkait rapat dengan perubahan dalam faham tradisi Kristian yang masih diikuti saintis masa kini.
Fred
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Fascinating subject, handled unevenly and rather superficially

I read this right on the heels of reading Ray Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near", which makes for a fascinating juxtaposition. This book will be a good starting point for my own further research into the ideas presented. Basically, David Noble traces a history of the "religion of technology" in the West, from about 900 to the present day. He identifies a shift in Western Christian thinking around the 9th-10th centuries as the beginn
Taylor Barkley
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book is well researched. Only a few books I’ve held which reflect such rigorous study. I could tell this guy spent a lot of time. It being so short makes that all the more impressive. Learned a ton of new stuff.
David
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Part I of The Religion of Technology, David F. Noble traces the development of modern science and technology (S&T) in terms of its religious roots, especially Christian millenarianism: the belief that history will culminate in a glorious thousand-year period of earthly peace and prosperity. This vision has been a powerful motivation to a wide variety of scientists, religious and secular.

Noble’s millenarian story provides a good introduction to the evolution of Christian thought regarding
Mike Hankins
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hist-of-sci-tech
The idea here is that advances in Science and Technology (in the West -- already very limiting) are motivated primarily by religion. That might strike some as contradictory, but Noble examines lots of quotes from key figures in the history of science and tech relating their ideas using religious language, usually that of millinialism.

I don't necessarily disagree with the conclusion (I do in part), but I found the book not all that well argued. His descriptions of Christianity and millinialism a
Katrinka
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The focus wasn't exactly what I expected-- but the book was well worth the read, provided some surprising information about the religious leanings of many a scientist and organization, and sparked some research interests.
Ethan
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Makes you think about how humans ruin everything when we try to control ourselves without God. Touches on some hidden areas that are not covered very often. I wonder if some of the stuff he says is true, because he definitely had an agenda.
Lolotehe
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another book recommended to me that got me started on a David Noble kick. It helps explain why so many engineers are young-earth creationists, among other things.
Ryan
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This book will change the way you look at all history, all religion, and all technology.
Adrian Guadalupe
It's a beguiling manifesto of christophobic anxieties coupled with a hint of androphobia for good measure. Good fiction reads like fact!
Katie
Mar 18, 2015
Dave Brown
Dec 18, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

David Franklin Noble was a critical historian of technology, science and education.