Start by marking “Surviving Canada: Indigenous Peoples Celebrate 150 Years of Betrayal” as Want to Read:
Surviving Canada: Indigenous Peoples Celebrate 150 Years of Betrayal

Surviving Canada: Indigenous Peoples Celebrate 150 Years of Betrayal

4.86  ·  Rating details ·  7 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Surviving Canada: Indigenous Peoples Celebrate 150 Years of Betrayal is a collection of elegant, thoughtful, and powerful reflections about Indigenous Peoples’ complicated, and often frustrating, relationship with Canada, and how—even 150 years after Confederation—the fight for recognition of their treaty and Aboriginal rights continues.

Through essays, art, and literature,
Published May 2017 by ARP Books

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Canada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving Canada

Heidi Archer
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read this weekly, more or less, since July 1st, as a way for me to commemorate 150 years of the colonialist project known as Canada. I've highlighted and scribbled notes all over this book, and I will be reading it again: there is so much in here that I, as a settler, need to not just understand, but adopt in my day-to-day life.

Several of the contributions are in-depth, footnoted expository on constitutional law in Canada, the BNA Act, treaties, UNDRIP, Indigenous law and what on earth t
Darcy McLaughlin
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This kind of book is difficult to provide a "review" for, so I'm just going to give some general thoughts. It's a series of essays, articles, and sometimes even tweets (really) relating Indigenous peoples' perspectives on Canada at the time of its 150th year of confederation. This reads mostly like a textbook, and is definitely not light reading. It's also not very happy reading, which is obviously the point for many of the essays contained within. I think that it would be very valuable for Cana ...more
mica-micare
There is too much in this book to summarize, suffice to say that probably every non-Indigenous Canadian should probably read it, and thereafter sit through whatever discomfort they might feel at some of the essays. (Of course, those who should read it most of all would probably be those who would be the least willing to put the time and effort into reading it.)

This is a dense, challenging book, and it deals with important and serious issues that Canada needs to face immediately. Like many essay
 Sinéad  O
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indigenous, 2017
This is a must read for all Canadians who wish to understand the realities of Indigenous life in this country. I loved the variety of different formats and the depth and quality of contributors is phenomenal.

Nations from coast to coast are represented in their own words and on their own terms. This book provides a lot of necessary discomfort in addressing our complicity as settlers - I wish it was mandatory reading.
Rebecca