Start by marking “Sea (The Huntress Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Sea (The Huntress Trilogy #1)

Sea

(The Huntress Trilogy #1)

In the sky, the fire spirits dance and ripple. Grandma says they showed our Tribe that I’d be a captain, before I was even born.

Ever since Ma died, Mouse has looked after her little brother, Sparrow, dreaming of her destiny as captain of the Huntress. But now Da’s missing, Sparrow is in danger, and a deathly cold is creeping across Trianukka . . .

Sea-churning, beast-chatte
Published April 6th 2017 by Egmont Books Ltd

Dannii Elle
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Sarah Driver and the publisher, Egmont Books Ltd, for this opportunity.

Whilst this was a truly lovely and well-done middle-grade novel I can't really say I enjoyed every aspect of it. The pirate-esque focus and the animal-named characters were both charming and adorable and drew me instantly in. However, I found my attention wane as the novel progressed, despite this.

Whilst I appreciated its
Maya
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

I'm rarely reading childrens books but when I do, I know I'm usually in for a good treat. And this story is simply wonderful. I feel in love with the main character and her friends and family. I especially loved her grandmother. Mouse is so brave, fearless, compassionate and has so much courage, I really enjoyed her character. She has big dreams and even bigger steps to fill in. I'm not going to go into the plot, since no matter what I say, I would f
Ken
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I practically liked the main character Mouse, she is the granddaughter of the captain of the ‘Huntress’.
A brave tough teenager who’s always ready for adventure.

I brought this on the back of Waterstones Book of the Month recommendation, I really liked the world building but found the story to be slightly complex at times.
Lucy Banks
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Atlas
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s
What am I, without my ship? I hunch over the spiny bump and grip Sparrow's hand. Shooting stars sizzle through the night sky. The sky-gods must be warring with fire and iron spears.

* * *
3 / 5

Reading Sea felt a little bit like reading The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, with respect to the tribes and the amount of research put into the context and little details, books which I loved (and still do) as a child. Though Sea didn't quite have the scope and originality of those books, it was still a so
Dash fan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sea is a captivating and thrilling magical adventure of underwater mystical creatures and fantasy with a twist of magic

Mouse and her brother Sparrow live on The Huntress, a ship which sails the Trianukka waters with their Nan as the captain.

Mouse is taken on an captivating and sometimes dangerous adventure within the seas of Trainukka where they are to find out the mysteries of the tribes.

Sea is aimed at the younger reader, however I did find the style of writing to be a little complex and confu
Milou
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up without knowing anything about it, just because it was on sale and it has an Amazing cover with equally beautiful illustrations inside. Believe me, pictures cannot do it justice. And I was so happy to find out that the inside is just as wonderful.

This book is just lovely. You really enter a whole new world, filled to the brim with magic (but nothing like Harry Potter… this magic is simple, based around nature. There are spirits, weird creatures, folklore and myths), the lan
The Librarian Witch
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you enjoy dangerous adventures on perilous, icy seas?
Do you like tales of tribes, beasts, tradition and magic?
Do you like reading about epic quests seeped in folklore and myth?

If you do, then you should definitely read this book!

Reading this was like a welcome flashback to my days of reading Philip Pullman. It definitely has the same feel to it.
Maybe it's all the ice, subtle magic and the fact that our main character, Mouse, sort of has her own 'daemon' in the form of her brave sea hawk Thaw
Alyssa
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to review a book when you were there the first time the main character spoke.

I can't approach this with anything like objectivity. As I read, I was back in the Saracen's Head holding workshop over vegetarian fish and chips. I was on the shore of Llanelli, reaching out to still Sarah and say, "Listen. It sounds like we're being followed." (It was just the mud filling in our footprints.) I watched the whales surface in Iceland, and the huge grin on Sarah's face when my nieces helped her
Sophie Anderson
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredible adventure in a rich, beautifully realised world; a brave protagonist with a hugely original, captivating voice; The Huntress Sea is simply wonderful!
Aimee
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of Sea from Hardie Grant Egmont Australia to review. This is the first book in The Huntress trilogy.

It took me a while to get used to the way Mouse and the other characters talked in this book. Some of the things they said were a little weird at first but once I got used to it I didn’t really notice it.

I think this book may have been a little bit too young for me. I mean, I’ve read middle grade books before but I just didn’t click with this the way I have other middle grade bo
Breakaway Reviewers
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy at its absolute best.

Mouse, her brother Sparrow and their Grandma Wren are on a voyage to the great Tribe-Meet. Mouse, who has her thirteenth moon while on the voyage, is Grandma Wren’s apprentice and eventually will take over as Captain of the Huntress.

Their journey to reach this gathering is not easy. The Terrors, fierce bird-like creatures, attack and Sparrow must use his special gift – singing the whale’s song, asking the whales to save them from this attack. This is not the only ob
Noodles78
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oddly enough I found this at times quite difficult to read as I found the language quite dense. The characters are great, you have the plucky, sarky, cannot wait to be grown girl who is saddled with a weaker younger brother who holds her back and who she loves with all her heart. You have the brother who is stronger than he looks and you have the grandma who is tough as nails with a heart as big as the ocean, just don't mess with her.

Oh, and you have Bear, who I think does not have a big enough
Satsuma
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-17
Zili
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars in my Sky!

The story is cute, charming and middle-grade centric. I loved the pirate seafarer theme and quest element. Who doesn't love a big adventure story?

On a side note, one of my best friends nicknames is Mouse, and I could totally see her running her own ship too... Some of the characters reminded me of the sky pirates in Stardust, whilst the plot had a whole The NeverEnding Story 1980s adventure story vibe going on.

The world building is intricate, clever and really fun. I loved al
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really like the story - very unique and an exciting page-turner.
Rozina
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book had amazing premises so my expectations were a bit high. When I've read that the plot takes place on a ship, with pirates and there are fantastical elements in it, I was really captivated. Except now, I am disappointed by the story and it could have been much greater. The writing style is very confusing because of the pirate language and the story itself didn't made sense most of the time. But I loved the main character Mouse, a girl who was always ambitious and brave in tricky situati ...more
Suze Lavender
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mouse and her younger brother Sparrow are living on a ship. Their grandmother is the captain. She's taking charge because Mouse's dad is away. Their mother died while giving birth to Sparrow. Because of her grandmother's visions Mouse knows that one day she'll be captain of her own ship. Her grandmother is a fierce woman and Mouse learns a lot from her. One day she'll be ready and this moment is rapidly approaching.

Unfortunately Mouse's life is a lot less certain when someone is being added to t
Suzanne Swift
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveway
I received this book as a Giveway .I loved this book the moment I saw the cover, the whale drawings and the map..I love the aliveness of the descriptive sentences..such as " the wind whips my hair" .You will encounter this throughout the book. I felt myself absorbed in the main character( Mouse) and she instilled in me a sense of adventure we often lose as adults. As I am already interested in crystals n stones ..I was pleased to discover in my own collection both jet stone and Amber..so I held ...more
Karen Barber
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A drama-filled adventure for younger readers.
Mouse and her younger brother, Sparrow, travel the seas with their nan and her crew. The two children have almost magical powers, and they quickly get caught up in a quest to find three missing sea opals.
The story is full of mythical creatures, strange events and some wonderful writing. There's a complexity to the style that might put off younger readers, but the book explores quite adult themes in an age-appropriate way.
Thanks to NetGalley for the co
Angela Groves
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brilliant adventure story, one of the best I have read in a long time. Full of magic, truly evil villains and a sharp witted (and tongued) heroine, there is nothing not to love about this book!
FinlayClark (The Scottish Flapjack)
I quite enjoyed the Sea. It always had some good twists and turns and was very action-packed. I understood all the characters. I really enjoyed some of the characters abilities because they weren't the usual ones you'd think of. This makes them really unique and interesting.
15kyriacouP
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great adventure book. And I would recommend this to all readers. It is an interesting and unusal book. It has a great storyline and is about a girl trying to save her tribe.
Hannah (Sakurahan or ForeverBooks18)
Rachael Royal
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I did like this book. It's been a while since I've read a book in which you want the main bad guy to seriously die or get what he deserves! He's a real slime ball. The main character was good, very feisty. I reckon I'll carry on with the series, I'm just not desperate for it.
MaryBrigid Turner
A fantastic fantasy thriller for 9-12 years full of twists and turns. Can't wait for the next instalment.
Ellen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Mouse and Sparrow are really looking forward to the tribe meet, when they finally see Da again. But when he doesn't arrive and another stranger takes his place, Mouse gets suspicious...
An amazing book by Sarah Driver (my favorite author at the moment)
If you enjoy adventure books, this one is for you!
16EvagorouC
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book and I highly recommend it as it’s a really exciting book and has a lot of adventure in it which will make people read it more. The ending is good and leads on to the next book the huntresss sky.
Claire
Mar 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Didn't like the style of writing, I'm not a big fan of books written in the first person. I felt the language was quite dense at times and more could have been done to develop the characters.
Book Gannet
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

If you love strange, complicated worlds, then you will probably like this book. Trianukka is a series of islands where the people have split into tribes of land and sea – and also sky, but no one’s seen them for a long time. Our heroine, Mouse, is from a sea tribe, living her life on the ship, The Huntress, where her grandmother is the captain. Throw in ice, unfriendly land tribes and winged monsters, and Mouse’s life is far from dull.

What I loved most, though, was the way magic is in
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Eye of the North
  • Snowglobe
  • The Snow Angel
  • Sky Chasers
  • Sky Song
  • Charlie and Me: 421 Miles From Home
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • Begone the Raggedy Witches (The Wild Magic Trilogy #1)
  • Tin
  • Beetle Queen (The Battle of the Beetles #2)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • Boy Meets Hamster
  • The Way Past Winter
  • The Colour of the Sun
  • The Ship to Nowhere: On Board the Exodus
  • Black Cats and Butlers (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates, #1)
  • V for Violet
  • Tutti's Promise
Sarah Driver was born on the Sussex coast and started writing as a small child. She graduated with distinction from the Bath Spa MA in Writing for Young People in 2015, after winning the 2014 United Agents prize for ‘most promising writer’. She is also a nurse and midwife, having trained at the Florence Nightingale School of King's College London. Her debut novel, The Huntress: Sea, was her MA pro ...more

The Huntress Trilogy (3 books)
  • Sky (The Huntress Trilogy, #2)
  • Storm (The Huntress Trilogy, #3)