Start by marking “Aether of Night” as Want to Read:
Aether of Night

Aether of Night

Published by Dragonsteel

To ask other readers questions about Aether of Night, please sign up.
Carrott
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Aether of Night
Dana Ilie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I do not understand why Brandon says that this "is only an okay book", i love it every minute.
Maybe I'm being subjective when it comes to Sanderson, but I liked it, and I liked it a lot.
Anna *Bran. San. Stan*
Apr 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this! Even if this is non-canon Cosmere and “just“ a draft and unpublished, I enjoyed every single page. Brandon, this is more than just an “okay“ book! Raeth has got to be among my favorite characters - reminding me a bit of Adolin (minus the girlfriend parade). If you’re interested in reading this, and you should be if you love Sanderson, you can get a free copy at the 17th Shard, provided you sign up.

Raeth, the first son of the Emperor of Aedinor, should have been Heir but
Twila
After thinking on it, I’ve decided not to rate this book.

First of all, Aether of Night is available for free right here on 17th Shard.

I only initially heard of it a few weeks ago and was so thrilled to discover an early work of Sanderson’s. Even an unrevised and unpublished one. Then I see that the book is prefaced with a very ominous introduction by Brandon where he basically begs us not to judge him as an author with, in his words, this “only okay book” and to “read at your own risk.”

Oh boy,
OhWell
I will take a draft, unpolished Brandon Sanderson novel over a lot of fully released stories out there. I was hooked from the first chapter, and cheering for the MCs, Raeth in particular. How many other authors can manage to do that?...
Le Chat Noir
Dec 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Only people who think Sanderson can do no wrong
I will start by saying I know this is an unedited manuscript but, if Sanderson is confident enough to share it with the public, then it deserves a fair review. The book begins with Sanderson stating that it’s two books that don’t quite merge into one. That’s true, but, I’d take it a bit further and say it’s two books that don’t merge together, where one book is bad and the other just okay. While White Sand felt unpolished, needing just a few tweaks to be complete, this book feels like it’s a tru ...more
Alma
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that every Sanderson fan should read. If you're not a Sanderson fan, disregard the intro and read it even if it's your first Sanderson book. It's very good.

Most of the comments on this book are extremely misleading and I will explain why.

Major spoilers. I'm not kidding.

(view spoiler)
Ilsa
Apr 03, 2022 rated it really liked it
Aether of Night is an unpublished novel that you can get off the 17th Shard website. The story is not canon and elements of it have been used in other books. The magic system is canon and, with some changes, will be a major system in the Cosmere.

If you are new to Brandon Sanderson’s books, do not start with this book. While it is by no means a terrible book, it is, after all, unpublished, and you will get an inaccurate picture of the author’s other, published novels.

I’ve read just about everythi
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I hate to say it, because I usually love Sanderson's writing, but this one wasn't for me. It was like The bachelor, the Cosmere edition, and just seemed trite and full of stereotypes. The group of women (including the stereotypical slutty one, uptight one, overly religious one, catty one and the cool chick) all competing with each other, because women can't be in competition and still be civil, or two dimensional, evidently. The ending sat wrong with me too (specifically the part involving alcoh ...more
Matthew Manchester
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually liked this book more than the unpublished novel-form of White Sand. Why the lower rating then? The climax and ending didn't stick. Sanderson writes a small foreward to this manuscript stating that the novel is really two different stories that didn't mesh well at all. For the longest time I didn't understand while reading this. However, come the last 15% of the book, it's quite clear.

That said, the magic system was really quite unique and wonderful. Sanderson has said the only thing
Benny Hinrichs
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
You know, it's funny. Even though I've given this book four stars, it's better than a lot of published books that I've read.

This was an interesting book. I liked the concept of aethers. Definitely a lot of typical Sanderson elements (nobility, balls, in-depth magic, personified gods, a young man struggling to lead, a young woman doing subterfuge). It was almost like reading Mistborn, Elantris, White Sand, and Warbreaker again without knowing what was going to happen.

One of the things I like abou
Marita_z
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an early work, and its shows, but I enjoyed it. Really loved the whole idea of the Aethers. We can see a lot of ideas that he used in later books.
The ending was a bit corny...
Bruna Oliveira
Dec 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.5
Of course it's one of his best works, but it's good.
Gregory Angeloff
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick Review: Great if you are a Sanderson fan and want to read his pre-publication work and the seeds it plants for future projects; however, the book struggles to be above the level of fanfiction.

A heavily flawed "book." This isn't a knock on Brandon Sanderson as he claims it is unfit for publishing and has given it away for free.

It was a fun adventure reading about a world of his and seeing the seeds it set for future stories (Amberite being shardblades/plate, and the Twins being early Ruin
Xochiquetzalli
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Every time I review a book by Sanderson, I use a Sanderson-scale. If I didn’t, everything would always be 5 stars and all nuance is lost. That’s why this “non-book” gets 3 stars… The truth is it’s better than oh-so-many books I’ve read, but by his standards, by his own words, this is just an okay book (his words).

I went in knowing this, so I wasn’t expecting much, but I was still pleasantly surprised. Yes, I can see what he means with it actually being two books meshed together, there is a sense
Mark McGrath
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was far better than I expected it to be. And to be honest better than I think it had a right to be. The first page of it is message from Brandon asking you check you expectations and letting you know that the book has never seen an editor. That said it’s in surprisingly good shape. There’s spelling and grammatical mistakes but there relatively minor and don’t really detract from the story.

I’m simply loved it. Loved the characters and the story. The best bit was probably the magic. As
Adam
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Raw, but the seeds are there for some very interesting future storytelling.
Simonne Robinson
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish he'd publish this!! 2nd reading of this and still love it ♡ ...more
Vitor Rodrigues
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I understand why Sanderson decided not to publish this book, there were a few things which I did not consider as good as in his later books. I also understand how difficult it would be to try and fix those things, sometimes it is better to just get the base idea and start from scratch.

I liked the magic system, but I think it could be a bit more balanced.

Still, this book was an awesome surprise, as it usually happens with his books, I couldn't stop reading it until it was over.

I am looking forwar
Ellen
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
this book was so much fun??? I have no idea why sanderson at the beginning says that he doesn't think the double identity and war plots of this book don't mesh bc oh my god they do.
like it's obvious that this is an early work of his but I love the story and the magic and the characters and omg I am SO ready for years from now when he finally gets around to rewriting aether!!! this world is so interesting and I'm so interested to figure out where in the cosmere timeline the canon aether books wi
Jessie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic! Even for an unfinished work, I really enjoyed this. There were a lot of elements that you can find reworked and polished in his other books. And it's been so long since I've gotten to read a Sanderson book that's not a reread, so it was really fun to read one of his books for the first time again.

I would definitely recommend this but only if you've already read all of Cosmere.
Drew McCaffrey
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid book overall, though parts felt disjointed. Knowing what Brandon has said of this, how he tried to meld two separate plots into one, it makes sense. He did a good job—mostly—but a few key points didn't ring true and the resolution felt both rushed and fabricated.

The characters were a delight throughout, however. Raeth, D'Naa, and Darro are all among my favorite Cosmere characters now, and I'll be keeping an eye out in future books for a tall, muscular man with one arm.
Tessa
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I can see the potential here to be on the same level as the rest of Sanderson's work. Amazing for an unpublished early work, with some flaws that I'm sure he could easily fix if he were ever to revisit it. Nice to read in addition to the rest of the Cosmere books. ...more
Gautham Battineni
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
While unpublished, it is pretty darn good. With a little proof reading and slight editing, it can turn out to be a great series, though one that is not as grand as the StormLight Archives..

Definitely worth a read.
Nina Høegh-Larsen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually thought this book was way better than "everyone" says. Even though I can see a lot of ideas being reused in other works, I seriously hope it will someday be rewritten. ...more
Ruthie
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the main characters (Darro, D'Naa, Raeth). The ending was a bit shaky, but overall a good book. ...more
Matt
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely has the bones to be somethin' good. I can see why Sanderson doesn't consider it finished though. ...more
Soursock
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really wish this became a full, proper series
Matt Reno
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Not his best work, as he clearly states in his intro. Still a fun read. You can see elements that he eventually incorporated into different stories he has published
Kishore Kadapala
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is very enjoyable!!
Awinky
Apr 06, 2021 added it
god i fucking love this book
This profile was created to segregate those items which have ISBNs or ASINs but are not considered part of our catalog. For more information, please see the Librarian Manual on Goodreads Help. ...more