Start by marking “Evening's Land” as Want to Read:
Evening's Land

Evening's Land

Reeling after her best friend’s suicide, Ada Walker falls under the spell of the collective subconscious, the EVENING’S LAND, searching for Faye’s soul with a rakishly hypnotic ghost named Christopher.

Richly preternatural and spine-tinglingly erotic, EVENING’
Published February 20th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Evening's Land, please sign up.
Pauline West Hi Kirsty,

Scenes in Evening's Land take place in Charleston, South Carolina, Tucson, Arizona and Nogales, Mexico.

I'd also like to thank you for your…more
Hi Kirsty,

I'd also like to thank you for your thoughtful review. I understand your concerns and appreciate your pointing them out; I'll keep them in mind as I work on my next novel.

Warmly,

Pauline(less)

Start your review of Evening's Land
Bradley
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley and the author herself for providing me an updated version of this manuscript for review. Some of the formatting issues were resolved nicely.

That being said, I need to rave a little bit about this book. It's like being handed a good W. H. Auden poem and learning that it has been turned into an erotic dream full of ghosts, a suicide, occultism, and sex, sex, sexy sex.

I normally don't seek out things like this, but let me be honest here: I thought it was all damn tasteful even
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!
Excellent writng, I was immediately engaged from the first page.
I love Charleston and I enjoy reading about Southern architecture with a voodoo beat - some of my favorite books being Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story by John Berendt and The Witching Hour by Anne Rice.

I really liked the story and setting: a young girl moves back with her parents after college, to recover from her best friend's suicide. When they move to Charleston, it turns out
Paul
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
thank you to the publisher and netgalley for providing me a copy of this book.

3.25 stars.

for style and lyrical prose I give this title 4.5 stars, for cohesion if plot and readability I give it 2.5 stars.

one has to really focus reading this one as there are multiple POV switches and chronological jumps.

it is atmospheric and enjoyable but also confusing and dense. not sure I would have bought this title but have no regrets reading it.
Nia Ireland
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I instantly fell in love with the cover of this book, as you undoubtedly have too.

I personally don’t think the synopsis for this book gives you an accurate idea of what to expect, above all else: this book is weird.

It explores themes like death, friendship, lovers and parental relationships but also... ghosts.

The author masterfully tells this story from the perspectives of several different characters, across different timelines, and still manages to pull it all together that it makes sense and
Myra
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley for this ARC!

This book really drew me into its pages. Its beautifully written, filled with poetic and lyrically satisfying sentences that blossom in your minds eye.
In its description from the publisher it was described as reminiscent of The Witching Hour by Anne Rice and The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. I totally get the Witching Hour part - the story has a lot of the same elements; Southern Gothic with witches and seductive ghosts. There's even the mature blond woman seduced by
Beth Roberts
I was so lucky to be sent an ARC of this by the author in return for a fair and honest review.

Truthfully, my mind is still reeling a bit.

I am very new to NetGalley, ARCs, and the whole web-presence thing. But I'm trying to learn and embrace new things and experiences. This book was definitely one of those things.

Straight up: I requested the book solely on the cover graphic. Seriously - wouldn't you? I can't even remember if I read the blurb before I hit "request" on NetGalley.

And I dove into
Kirsty Hanson
Evening's Land by Pauline West is the kind of book that you have to read closely and with an open mind as there are plot lines that are very far-fetched and moments in the book where something doesn't quite fit. It was an interesting read due to being mainly about after life after death and questioning that, but I felt like there was too much going on at the same time.

Ling
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital reader’s advance copy of this book through Netgalley. What drew me to this title was the description: “The dark elegance of Anne Rice’s THE WITCHING HOUR meets the lush parallel worlds of Neil Gaiman’s SANDMAN series.” I did not read the description any further before I requested an advanced reading copy. Neil Gaiman is my favorite writer and I would jump at reading anything recommended by him or compared to his writing. And Anne Rice’s popularity and reputation as a writer ...more
Jolie
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is going to be so very hard to write. Not because the book was good, it was very good, it is because I am going to have a hard time not giving away some major that happens in the book. So I am very carefully editing what I am writing here (I have already deleted 3 starting paragraphs but will be keeping this one).

I think the author did a great job highlighting what happens after someone commits suicide. What happens to the people who are left and how it strains
Beverly
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
The actual concept was intriguing, the writing not so much.....
Rachel
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evening's Land reads like a fever dream. All delirium and confusion and warped physics, toeing the razor's edge of the familiar and the otherworldly. This is a story about recovery, about coping with possessing an intimate knowledge of death, and living with destructive habits and cravings.
It's an ambitious book for sure, and Pauline tackles a number of themes, exploring areas that authors typically avoid. I'm going to throw a warning out here, which I don't usually do, but this story warrants a
Philip Bailey
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A need for an open mind will allow enjoyment of this book. Consider what people think of the afterlife, consider the ability of some people to know that which few others know. Consider how some people have a “sense” for the spirits in the world. Have you heard of someone being possessed? Some well-known movies have been made upon such a premise. Think exorcism. Believing in the paranormal does not mean it exists, or that is doesn’t exist. That is a decision for everyone to arrive at. It is known ...more
Debbie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the author and to NetGalley for this ARC in return for my honest review. This book isn't for the faint-hearted. There are so many dark characters and dark deeds but you have to just immerse yourself in this world. The writing is so lush and beautiful-I felt the heat and humidity of Arizona, South Carolina and Mexico. The setting just puts you in the right frame of mind for this gothic horror set in present day. The ending was a little abrupt-just like the ones in horror movies. I ...more
Britny Perilli
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
* I received a free digital copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinions and thoughts.*

First, let me say that I tried really hard to like this book. The cover is beautiful and the writing is full of wonderfully dark, poetic phrases. This is a dark, strange book and the graphic (and erotic) content weren't expected but I wasn't put off by it. The problem was when the narrative started jumping from character to character and getting farther and farther away from the original premise of
Polly Krize
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Admittedly, I read a few reviews of this book before starting it. I am always looking for an author at the caliber of Anne Rice and any books containing vampires, witches, similar to those of Ms. Rice. With this comparison being stated about this book multiple times, I gave it a try. Unfortunately I found it nowhere near as well written as stated, and ultimately did not finish it. Only my opinion.
Marissa
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Evening's Land is a very dark story that is not for the faint of heart. It touches on a variety of very real themes in life that most authors would have a difficult time writing about in one book, to include suicide, drug abuse, rape, marital affairs, and devil worship. On top of this, the author throws in some fairly complex supernatural parallel world building. The main character, Ada, comes
Jerricka Habib
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book felt a bit disjointed and I had a hard time following the story. I felt like there were too many plot holes. The only character I got a real sense for who they were and what drives them was Mary. The rest of the characters fell flat. I really wish I liked this book more. I do love the cover art though.
Michelle
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

This book has a very dark story line for the most part, dealing with suicide, sexual abuse and satanism in the heat of Charleston, South Carolina. It is essentially about is a girl trying to bring her lost friend back from 'Evening's Land', following her suicide.

The writing is lovely and descriptive but I am unsure who this book is actually geared towards as it reads very much like a young adult story in places, especially with regards to Ada and
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
While the description sounded really interesting, this book just wasn't for me. The writing didn't really suck me in and the dialects of some of the characters were rather stereotypical and off-putting in some places. None of the characters were developed that well and the different storylines didn't really seem to come together. Rather, the author seems to rely on sensationalism and shocking the audience with gratuitous sex and violence.

My main problem with this novel was that it touches on
Carolee Wilkins
May 19, 2017
Annie
Dec 07, 2018
Pauline West
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Tyler Horken
Jasminlavender
Feb 23, 2017
Dale Cooper
Feb 26, 2017
Pauline West is a bookworm, trail runner and bourbon lover. Her first novel, EVENING’S LAND, is a Library Journal Self-e Selection, winner of the Helene Wurlitzer Foundation Award and recipient of the Carol Marie Smith Memorial Scholarship for the NOEPE Center of Literary Arts.

West's short stories have been shortlisted for the International Aeon Award, and featured in Reddit’s infamous NoSleep