Start by marking “Far from the Tree” as Want to Read:
Far from the Tree

Far from the Tree

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  22,285 ratings  ·  4,222 reviews
Being the middle child has its ups and downs.

But for Grace, an only child who was adopted at birth, discovering that she is a middle child is a different ride altogether. After putting her own baby up for adoption, she goes looking for her biological family, including—

Maya, her loudmouthed younger bio sister, who has a lot to say about their newfoun
Published October 3rd 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Far from the Tree, please sign up.
jo if that is your concern, definitely read this book. these adoptive families are, frankly, adorable. not perfect, far from perfect, but THERE, PRESENT,…moreif that is your concern, definitely read this book. these adoptive families are, frankly, adorable. not perfect, far from perfect, but THERE, PRESENT, LOVING in a way that is intensely and profoundly moving. this is a celebration of adoption, and also a hard look at how miserable the foster care system is. (less)
Julia I don't know if you've been on a high school campus lately but the f word is in every other sentence of most teenagers. I found this book to ring true…moreI don't know if you've been on a high school campus lately but the f word is in every other sentence of most teenagers. I found this book to ring true as to language and behavior of most kids and would take the rating down to PG-13 if that. And what's with the overuse of the word "triggering". The world is triggering these days. As parents we need to grow up and connect with are kids. They are sometimes a lot smarter than we are. (less)

·  22,285 ratings  ·  4,222 reviews

Start your review of Far from the Tree
Emma Giordano
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely amazing contemporary novel. I am truly BLOWN AWAY by how fantastic this story is. I would recommend it to absolutely everyone.

CW: teen pregnancy, adoption, foster care system, alcoholism

I don't feel I even have the words to express how fantastic this book is. It is touching, emotional, heart-warming and heart-wrenching at the exact same time. Far From The Tree is one of those books that causes you to have a weight on your chest the entire time you are
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, owned
4.5*
This was so well done! The writing was great and I truly felt for the characters and their struggles. I will admit I did struggle a bit with a suspension of disbelief just in regards to the fact that the mother had 3 kids in a very short period of time when she was extremely young. But, that was a very minor thing. Overall I thought this book was really good!
Hannah Greendale

Do yourself a favor and read this book.

Elise (TheBookishActress)
🌟full review posted on blog!

4 1/2 stars. That was... unexpected. Far From the Tree is an exploration of family, the one you find and the one you're born into. Great concept, right? But I definitely did not guess just how good this would be. A story like this is one that can only succeed based off stellar character work, and my expectations for ch
Lola
Hello Goodreaders, it is I, the Black Sheep. Missed me?

Just yesterday I was telling myself how wonderful my reads have been lately. And voilà! I have jinxed myself instantly.

I tried, I really did. Then I tried some more, because I am familiar with this author, but alas nothing.

Nothing. My heart feels nothing. It should be devastated or filled with admiration or, I don’t know, just *feel* something. Goddamn, why can’t you feel something, heart?

jessica
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
families come in various shapes, sizes, colours, personalities, and dynamics. no two families are the same and thats what makes them so wonderful. this book is a perfect example of that.

this is a story about three biological siblings who are separated into different homes/paths as infants and later reconnect once they discover each others existence.

and reading about the desperate longing these siblings have for each other, as well as their desire to meet and grow into a family, it made realise
may ➹
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to may ➹ by: may ❀
am I crying because this book broke me or because I finally finished a book after two weeks of 0 reading
Larry H
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this one.

Robin Benway's Far from the Tree recently won the National Book Award. It's a beautiful, thought-provoking tearjerker of a book, a meditation about family and its different forms, as well as the fears we don't share with those we love, and how what we don't say is often more of a roadblock than the things we do.

At times this book had me like:

While at other times it had me like:

Grace is an only child, although she's always known that she was adopted. But shortly after she gives birth to her own dalike:
like:
may ❀
Sap Warning
I come from a big family and even though at times they can be annoying as heck and other times make me want to jump out of a window, theyre literally my life and I would die without them
okay im done my sap – gross

AND THIS BOOK IS ALL ABOUT FAMILY AND ITS AMAZING AND PERFECT AND SO SPECIAL

description
kermit gets me

- BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL and honest sibling rep. this was done so sosososooso well
- Theyre annoying and irritating and you want to punch them sometimes but like they got your back no matter what and damn boithem
okay
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Library overdrive Audiobook...narrated by Julia Whelan......
.......Julia is a ‘book-reading-pro’!!! I’d go out of my way to listen to books read by her. She’s really terrific....making each character come ALIVE with very distinct personalities.

I completely agree with the publishers summary of this National Book Award Winner....
“Perfect for fans of NBC’s “THIS IS US”, ( I am a fan), Robin Benway’s beautiful interweaving story of three very different teenagers connected by blood exp
Yusra  ✨
reread #1: i’m honestly in tears. like i can’t even explain how good this book is. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. and it’s saving my reading challenge so yeet

5 stars ✨

"Seventeen years is a long time to wait for a family."

I can't express in words how much I loved this book. It was just what I needed, everything I wanted and so much more . It's been a loooong time since I've had a 5 star read (actually, I think this is my first 5 star of 2018? correct me if I'm wrong? but yay?).

When I say I
emma
Okay. First, we must talk about the most important thing, and that is that cover. Holy sh*t that thing is beautiful. Man oh man. I hate myself for reading this as an ebook out of excitement instead of waiting to buy a copy. I’m way too materialistic for this BS.

Now we can talk about the actual contents.

I first heard about this book because it won the National Book Award for Young Adult Literature, and I was doing a very grown-up blog post for the very grown up college-affiliate
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn, that was beautiful.
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 5/5

"Seventeen years is a long time to wait for a family''

This book is an example of why I need the Goodreads Rating Scale to be bigger. On a scale of 1 to 10, definitely a 10!

Robin Benway is an amazing writer. I could not put this book down. I was reading it at school in-between classes, in the car (which I NEVER do) and I think at one point I actually read while walking. I think it’s safe to say I was obsessed.

This is the story of three adopted siblings who find each other at just the right/>"Seventeen
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Omg. So touching. I cry 😭
✨ A ✨
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I've read a YA contemporary focused on siblings and not on a romance as the main feature. It is common for books to feature either only-children or siblings that don't get along. Sibling bonds are hardly ever explored and I really enjoyed this book because of that.

Our three siblings were all given up by their mom as babies. Grace and Maya were adopted almost immediately but Joaquin has been in the foster care system his whole life.

When Grace tells her parents she want
Matthew
Very well done book addressing adoption and family. When you hear the word family, what does it mean to you. After this, you may be asking yourself the same question and the answer might surprise you.

I thought the characters in this book we're great. In the middle of reading, my book club had a discussion about the characters and how we connected to them. It was interesting to see how we all approached them differently and how what might appeal about one character to me was a turn of
Maxwell
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, kindle, 2019
What a wonderful story. Truly refreshing to read a novel that seems to capture a specific experience but makes it feel universal. Benway crafts characters that feel vivid and real. I was immediately captivated by their stories and then fell in love with them as the stories progressed.

Far from the Tree follows Grace, Maya and Joaquin. They are biological half-siblings who do not realize the others exist as they were adopted or fostered to separate families after being born. We start out with G/>Far
Hamad
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

🌟 I have heard a lot of good things about this book, I also heard that it is a great book about family and I really really wanted to read something about family! I read contemporaries mostly as a change from the heavier fantasy books. I usually pick fluffy and light contemporaries but I also like those that are supposed to give you alPrescription
Actual
Merphy Napier
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 maybe?

Such an emotional read but really worth all the tears. A beautiful story about family finding each other and leaning on each other through so many real life problems
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
You can read this and all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine.

Far From the Tree took me far out of my comfort zone in the most excellent way! It’s only the second audiobook I’ve listen to till the very end and it’s YA.

Here’s what I loved:

The Characters – Grace, Maya, and Joaquin were well-developed characters to love. They’re all basically good kids carrying more baggage than most adults could bear. Some of their baggage is shared and some is very specific to the character.

The Story – There’s a lot/>The/>The/>
chan ☆
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
unexpectedly beautiful

i requested this audiobook from my library on a whim and honestly had no clue what to expect. as gorgeous as the cover is, i think 5-10 books were published with similar covers around that time (nicola yoon etc) so for some reason i thought this was going to be a love story.

imagine my surprise when chapter 1 opens with a teenager giving birth.

this is a story about adoption, found families, and LOVE. this book came to me at the perfect time as i am starting to f
Fares
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

Is it bad that I don't know anyone who is adopted yet I feel this was a bit dramatic?
It's a really good book but I felt so unattached for about half the book.
More thoughts coming soon.
-------------------------------------
Buddy read with my bestie who totally isn't mad at me bc I don't like her book husband :)
Suzanne
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful! I loved this book so much. This is a story about three siblings who have been fostered and adopted by separate families very early in their lives, and shows readers the many definitions family can have. I adored every minute of reading this book!

Overall, love the characters, the story, and the meaning behind this entire book!
Jillian
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OH FUCK THIS WAS SO GOOD.
this was emotional and put my heart through the wringer.
this won the national book award for a reason and it's an all time favorite.
family stories are always a favorite of mine and this was just incredible.
i really wanted to read this originally because it was compared to This Is Us and that is one of my all time favorite shows and JESUS IT IS SUCH A GOOD COMPARISON in terms of family and feels and just UGH OMG I HAVE TOO MANY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW.
Aj the Ravenous Reader

It’s probably just the hormones but I kept tearing up while reading the book. It felt like fate that the first book I read after months of weird pregnancy aversion from books was one that includes a girl who gets pregnant. Lol. Also, hello y’all! Sorry I wasn’t around for a while. I’ve been very pregnant, seven months now to be exact and all I wanted to do was stuff myself up with yummy treats and binge-watch Big Bang Theory. Hope you’re all having a great time. I definitely missed you, my GR fr
Glitterbomb
So, I may or may not have shaken the the shit out of this thing and yelled WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!! WHY AREN'T THERE MORE BOOKS LIKE YOU IN THE WORLD!!

This thing had be sobbing, and laughing, and sobbing while laughing, and tearing my hair out, and more sobbing, and yelling "How did you know?!?!" I swear there's not a box of tissues or a roll of toilet paper left in the house.

I am emotionally done. I'll write a review later after I put myself back together. Seriously though, read this.
Julie Zantopoulos
Oh man, the emotions. So many emotions! I loved this book so very much. What a great ContemporaryAThon read. It's not a ContemporaryAThon vlog without tears and day 2 brings em.

TW: Death of a loved one, alcohol abuse, parental abandonment, foster care system woes, teenage pregnancy, and bullying/slut-shaming.
Tatiana
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s a perfectly fine feel-good novel about adoption and sibling love, with abundance of compassionate people and HEA for all. A bit too sentimental, simplistic and tear-jerky for my taste.

Reminded me of Sara Zarr’s novels, but less nuanced.
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautiful and so lovely. I would recommend it to everyone, I thought it was so heart-warming, but also so heart-breaking at times. Seriously guys, read this! It's one of those books that makes you feel so many things and it takes serious willpower for me not to recommend this to everyone I come across.

Once I finished this book, I realised it actually dealt with so many issues and it was done so eloquently. Sometimes when books deal with quite a lot, it can feel either too heavy

• The Poet X
  • I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter
  • On the Come Up
  • Long Way Down
  • Dear Martin
  • With the Fire on High
  • Sadie
  • The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea
  • Girl Made of Stars
  • Internment
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay
  • A Heart in a Body in the World
Robin Benway is a National Book Award winner and New York Times bestselling author of six novels for young adults, including Audrey, Wait!, the AKA series, and Emmy & Oliver. Her books have received numerous awards and recognition, including a 2008 Blue Ribbon Award from the Bulletin for the Center of Children's Books, 2009's ALA Best Books for Young Adults, and 2014's ALA Popular Paperbacks f ...more
“The older she got, the more human her parents seemed, and that was one of the scariest things in the world. She missed being little, when they were the all-knowing gods of her world, but at the same time, seeing them as human made it easier to see herself that way, too.” 45 likes
“That’s what parents do. They catch you before you fall. That’s what family is.” 20 likes