Start by marking “DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017 (DC Comics Essentials)” as Want to Read:
DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017 (DC Comics Essentials)

DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017 (DC Comics Essentials)

For years, DC has been synonymous with the greatest graphic novels ever created. Now you can start with the basics—DC's top-notch, must-read, absolute cream of the crop—all listed in this DC ESSENTIAL GRAPHIC NOVELS 2017 catalog.

Anyone can experience DC from the best starting points possible with 25 graphic novels vital to any collection. From there, check out our list of
Published January 10th 2017 by DC

To ask other readers questions about DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
This catalog is perfect if you're new to the DC and/or Vertigo comics. It's just as perfect if you're not so new.

Official blurb:

Briar's Reviews
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A big thanks to D.C. Comics and Netgalley for this free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I grew up around comics. My mother started my brother's collection when he was about eight years old. He's now 42. His collections have won world class awards. I thought I'd get an education. This seemed like a good place to start.
A perfect guide to the reinvented works of D.C. It has details on the entire heroic oeuvre from Superman to The Preacher. Illustrations include character development through
vostendrasamigosyotengolibros
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy by NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

I thick this it's a pretty fair collection s of graphic novel recommendation, I have not much to add, for a person who wants to know in what order or what to read I think it a solid dial.
✿ Jenna ✿
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, ebs, reviewed
Copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017 proves to be a very helpful guide to people new to DC's Universe.

The first point goes to the great cover, I love it!!

To me, the main focus is the list of 25
Vikas
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy by NetGalley in exchange of an honest review:

This is an introduction to DC catalogue for newcomers to the Comics. This has almost entire DC catalogue from Batman, Superman to their lesser known titles. From Comic books to graphic novels to shows and movies based on DC comics. Plus information about different action figures and also the reading order. In one word - Everything DC. Keep on reading.
Danielle
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and more on my blog.

I received a free copy of DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017 in exchange for my honest opinion.

You would not believe how excited I was for this. I know that that probably does not make sense as this will rarely change with the ‘must read books’ as they have been around for a long time. But I always find it interesting to see what DC has released and if any of the previous years releases will have been good enough to make their way into this. Also, with DC reboo
Judith Follo
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how in depth the author went to explain stories that are vital into getting into the D.C. Universe. It was very easy to read the different synopsis of each comic series. Also adding in what others have said about each one was also helpful in getting someone interested in these wonderful characters. Just the idea of a book that helps you locate what to read in order to jump into this world is amazing to itself.
Liezl Ruiz
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017 is definitely a very helpful guide to people new to DC comics. People like me who are just familiar with the world of DC find this catalog a pleasant companion in the quest of finding that satisfying origin story. I use the word satisfying since our favorite heroes had been "killed" and "revived" countless of times by different writers and brought to life with their own renditions by different artists.

It's nice to note that by the sheer number of pages in this bo
Evan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance reading copy of this book, for free, through Goodreads First Reads program in exchange for my honest review.

Whether you read comics regularly, or are considering picking up a comic book for the first time, DC Essential Graphic Novels 2017 is a helpful guide for all. The catalog begins with a listing of the 25 Essential Graphic Novels of All-Time. From there, the essential graphic novels of each individual character from the DC Universe are listed. Graphic novels featuring B
Eleanor Luhar
This is a really useful guide for anyone trying to decide how to get into comics/graphic novels, or what to buy/read next. It provides a synopsis, review quotes and images from 25 of the most "essential" novels from DC to date, as well as a suggested reading order for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Flash, Robin and more.

Some of the most important graphic novels, according to this guide, include Watchmen, Batman: The Killing Joke, The Sandman, V for Vendetta, Gotham Academy and Fl
Susan
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you wonder if you have all the comics of Batman or others? This is a great book to look at to discover DC Comics and Verity comics. Besides giving you a brief annotation of the comic book, there is a suggested order in how to read each title. You will also get to see covers of many of the comic books. I found it fascinating and am going to check out some of Wonder Woman, myself. It's interesting to see how different authors see their super heroes.

I recommend everyone who love comics to get th
Leticia
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley and D.C. Comics for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As an almost complete newbie to sequential art, I found this a quite interesting catalog and guide to DC and Vertigo graphic novels and comics. The initial list of 25 essential graphic novels is a good starting point and many of them are now on my TBR list.
The next essential graphic novel lists with the suggested reading order are also quite useful if you wish to read more on th
Dave
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who has not opened a comic book in forty years and has just stepped into the wondrous world of graphic novels, I found this catalog to be invaluable in explaining all of DC Comics' series and the various story arcs. There are so many different story arcs even with the major characters that it's hard to get it all straight without a guide. This catalog is presented in vibrant colors and is very well designed.
Ash Mill
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed going through this. It was a great guide to know and having the knowledge of what comics were starting new in the rebirth and having a description of the comic along with its title and release date is incredible. I enjoyed that it also had comics from both DC and Vertigo listed. I liked the collectibles page. And I really appreciate the recommended list for reading order. I plan on using that. I think this is a great and useful guide for comic lovers!
Jill Jemmett
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great catalog of the titles DC Comics is releasing in 2017. I have just started reading DC comics this year, so I liked this overview of everything they publish.

There are many choices in here that I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise. Many of their older, classic titles are in here too.

This catalog is great for new readers and older fans of DC Comics.

I received a copy of this catalog from NetGalley in exchange for a review.
Cande
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: no-ficcion
Copy by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this guide, it was very helpful and fun. If you want to pick up DC comics but don't know where to start, this guide would be great for you. DC universe is huge and can be confusing, and this guide recommends you titles and a reading order. Great, right?
Maeghin
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you wanted to start reading DC graphic novels and didn't know where to start this is the perfect guide to refer to! Everything you need to know is here, including the order in which you should read them.
Leanne Schneider
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is great. But not perfect. The list leaves out a lot of important books (talking about Wonder Woman only--as that is my focus) But still a great book. I received it for free on Wonder Woman Day at my local bookstore
Edwin Lowe
A.Good Guide for the Best In. Graphic Novels

This book contains valuable Information regarding the best of the best graphic novels over the past 30-40 years. It is an excellent reading list for readers new to the genre! I found it useful and interesting.
Shaun
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good guide for both people who are getting into comics and already read comics.

A lot of these I would have personally recommended, however, there are some in here that I have yet to read that this guide has recommended and can't wait to dive into.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Good way to learn/reacquaint yourself with the DC Universe.
Vishwesh K
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good information and free!!

Has a lot of information one can gain about the DC universe. Character timelines, Novel details, collectible details etc all free of charge!!
Charles Hunter
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great information

A great book for any collectors, helps you decide what magazine you next need to collect really interesting and informative
Paul Franco
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
First off, great cover of Wonder Woman reading a comic while easily winning a tug-of-war against a bunch of guys, including Superman and Batman.
After an intro with the Flash stopping a comic book store robbery, there’s 25 Essential Graphic Novels; quite a bit of Batman, but I like that Gaiman’s Sandman was included. Each major character gets a page, but not much info. Even Suicide Squad shows up, no doubt because of the recent movie. There’s a section on Page to Screen, starting with Wonder Woma
Yasmine
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic Newbies
I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This review and more was published on my blog Swissbookworm

A lot of people would love to start reading comics, but are overwhelmed with the amount of comics and graphic novels already out there and don’t know where to start. This catalog is a fantastic way for newbies to create their first impression of our beloved DC world. As a total newbie in the comic departement you should have no trouble getting an overview of the super
Dana Alma
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leave it up to Flash to get you ready for upcoming graphic novels for 2017! Superb catalog of all your favorites revamped and then some. Here's what I'm looking forward to reading in 2017: Everything Wonder Woman is a given! I'm super pumped about Azzarello's mythology journey in Wonder Woman Vol. 1 Blood. I just grabbed it and will be reviewing . Then there's Wonder Woman Earth One Vol. 1, the cover screams amazing! And get a load of Batman: Earth One! Fantastic graphics by Geoff Johns. Check o ...more
Gabby

• The Arrow of Gold: A Story Between Two Notes
  • The Pilot: A Tale of the Sea
  • The Wild Swans at Coole
  • Main-Travelled Roads
  • Buffalo Soldiers (An Upstate New York Mafia Tale #2)
  • Leo Tolstoy: The Complete Novels and Novellas (Book House)
  • The Baron's Apprenticeship
  • The Best Laid Plans of Mice: An anthology of odd short stories
  • Bought The Farm
  • The Grandfather Clock
  • A Murky Business
  • Harley Quinn (2016-) #11
  • The Pit: A Story of Chicago
Various is the correct author for any book with multiple unknown authors, and is acceptable for books with multiple known authors, especially if not all are known or the list is very long (over 50).

If an editor is known, however, Various is not necessary. List the name of the editor as the primary author (with role "editor"). Contributing authors' names follow it.

Note: WorldCat is an excellent res