Start by marking “The Marked (Knight's Academy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Marked (Knight's Academy Book 1)

The Marked

(Knight's Academy #1)

Myka Williams has never fit in with her peers, and although her adoptive parents are loving and supportive, she feels most at home alone in the woods.

When she's offered a full scholarship to Knight's Academy in the Smoky Mountains of Tennes-see, she takes the opportunity for a fresh start. She soon learns that Knight’s Academy is more than just a school. Within the stone w
Published January 10th 2017 by Clean Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Marked, please sign up.
Emerald Barnes We don't have a release date set, but I should be sending it to my publisher by the end of the month. I will keep you updated when I know more. :)

Start your review of The Marked (Knight's Academy Book 1)
Runningrabbit
3.5
This was OK, no new concepts and pretty similar to many 'Academy' style book. Domineering, possessive love interest vs broody and sensitive preferred love interest etc etc. No bitch girls though!
Laura A. Grace
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, I will be the first to admit, I do not like vampires. This was my first read that I can recall every reading where it centered around vampires and the author did a wonderful job of really introducing me to them.

I greatly enjoyed the cast of characters, especially Myka, Olivia, and Luka. I found Myka to be easily relatable with her shyness. Olivia was a really fun best friend and love how she interacted with Myka on so many levels. Talk about best friend material!

Now though I still don't
Mariah Miller
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book pissed me off, irritated me, but it did get better towards the end. I have a lot of conflicting thoughts, which I need to sort through, but I will post a full review soon.

Spoilers Ahead so be warned!!

5/18/17

The Marked
By: Emerald Barnes

2 Stars

This book definitely had an interesting take on werewolves and vampires. Of course, when writing about these two folktales, especially in YA, it is hard to avoid cliches. However, I didn’t mind it as much as usual. It was a fast-paced read that I
Charlene Pratt
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kudos to the author

Well written story with good characters and an interesting plot. The story is eerie and dark tinged with excitement and hope. Kudos to the author for writing an excellent story that isn't peppered with gutter language and sexual situations, neither of which would have done anything enhance the story.
Sandra "Jeanz"
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifter, vampire
REVIEW
As I have reviewed other titles by this author and really enjoyed them I was quick to jump at the chance to read and review this book. After reading the blurb I was interested to know more about both it's characters and the direction the plot would go in too.

The pace of this book is a medium pace, which I liked a lot and became almost immediately captured my attention and held it throughout the book. I really enjoyed the direction of the plot. I found characters that I became quite quickly
Guy L. Pace
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've wanted to read one of Emerald's books and finally got a chance. I'm not a big fan of romance, vampires, or things of that nature. However, Emerald did a very good job putting a human face on the characters and giving them real feelings and behaviors.

I especially enjoyed following the relationship between Milo and Myka. Since this is Clean YA, I appreciated how Emerald brought the story to a climax with good taste and drama.

Marked is a book I would not be afraid or ashamed to have one of my
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)

I will start by saying that I am extremely happy that I took the chance to read this as it is a fantastic read. Myka is a young adult who is adopted and has just been offered the opportunity of a lifetime and she quickly jumps on it. She has no idea that her life, is about to change in more ways than she could have possibly expected.

The story line is well written and the characters are well developed. You'll find yourself loving some characters and loathing others. This read quickly pulls you i
Brooklyn Tayla
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Instantly, I adored Myka: she's definitely not your average heroine: I love that she was relatable, she suffered from claustrophobia, she is an honest to goodness 17 year old plucked from all she knows into a mysterious school. She likes rock music, she's quirky but awkward, and she has dreams where she feels a kinship with a she wolf.

I loved this last element, I felt I was able to connect with Myka all the more, for to me, wolves are one of my favourite animals and I'm a bit obsessed with them
Lisa
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable clean read

Myka is the main female character who is chosen to go to a high academic boarding school. Myka is adopted but loves her parents. She meets Olivia her room mate, Milo the mysterious brooking senior and Preston who pursues her constantly. The book has a solid storyline with well written and developed characters and world building. It really has a heartbreaking ending for Milo and Myka, so ends on a cliffhanger and Preston well I just want to kill him off myself. Although this i
Krystyna
Jul 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Could have tried harder

Could have been a really great story. The plot was a good one but it actually fizzled out and left me thinking thank goodness I've finished it. Does it make me want to read any more in the series - NO. The heroine is spineless and the hero is lacking. The storyline got really bogged down in parts so it felt like wading through a bog. Definitely not for me and not one that I would recommend.
Fatima Chunara
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is so annoying. Firstly it has that pretty girl who has no idea she's pretty trope. Then there's the mother who is exactly like the main girl. Plus the guys are described as the same and both hate each other and both want the girl. Then there's the I'm an asshole only because I like you trope.
It's a YA cliché disaster. Clichés are what they are for a reason. Of its done right the book is amazing if not you get this book.
Mallory McCartney
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good YA Academy novel and Barne’s knows how to write one! Fall effortlessly into the world of Knights Academy where it’s not your normal vampire/ werewolf story. Great for fans of twilight!!
Jennifer Whitlock
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was good. I like that Myka made friends. She was able to stay away from Preston. And ran away from the evil vampires.
Savannah Riestenberg
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'll preface this by saying this is not a book I would normally read, but I HAD to listen to the audiobook because the narrator is one of my closest friends!!
With that being said, obviously the audiobook version was amazing and I think Ms Cuff did a great job bringing the characters to life. The character Olivia reminded me a lot of Olivia the narrator ;)
As for the plot, not my cup of tea as I already mentioned. From the cover of the book you could already tell something was up with this academ
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
I received this book in return for an honest review.

I actually finished this book way earlier today but am still sitting here not sure what to say.
It really isn't that often you come across a book that makes you want to write the whole review in gifs because words fail you, so if I use to many gifs, I am sorry, words fail me right now over how awesome this book is. Lol

The Marked is one of those rare books that you literally don't want to put down. It is also one that makes you want to scream yo
Tabitha Caplinger
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kind of like Twilight with a Twist...

Okay, so hopefully that headline got you interested. The marked has vampires and werewolves at odds with one another, that's where its like twilight but the similarities pretty much stop there. The twist comes in the form of the MC, Myka. She's not just a girl caught between a half-vampire and werewolf. She has a secret that she doesn't even know about. Maybe it has something to do with the dreams she's been having of a beautiful Shelf with blue eye? You'll h
Apr 15, 2017
Apr 07, 2017
Grace
Mar 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
CleanReads.com: Author Q&A: Emerald Barnes - The Marked 11 11 Nov 01, 2017 04:46PM

• Catch Me (Spring Hill Blues, #2)
  • Free Fall (Spring Hill Blues, #1)
  • Hating You (Blackthorn Elite #1)
  • Half-Blood (Darkblood Academy, #1)
  • Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid, #6)
  • Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4)
  • Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3)
  • Succubus Shadows (Georgina Kincaid, #5)
  • Raven's Blood (Moon Virus Book 1)
  • The Billionaire Wolves' Virgin
  • Throne of Embers (Beautiful Secrets, #3)
  • Embrace the Heat
  • Resurrection (The Sainthood - Boys of Lowell High #1)
  • House of Secrets (Beautiful Secrets, #1)
  • Love's Sacrifice (The Billionaire Banker, #4)
  • Vampire's Slave: Book 2
  • Vampire's Slave: Book 4
  • Vampire's Slave: Book 1
Emerald Barnes resides in a small town in Mississippi and has the accent to prove it. She’s an auntie, a youth leader, a little bit of a nerd, a reader, a writer, and a family-oriented person. God is number One in her life, and she thanks Him continuously for His love and favor.

​She’s also addicted to tv and binge-watching shows, and she has a thing for superheroes.