Start by marking “Dragon's Green (Worldquake Sequence #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Green (Worldquake Sequence #1)

Dragon's Green

(Worldquake Sequence #1)

Some people think opening a book is a simple thing.
It's not.
Most people don't realise that you can get truly lost in a book.
You can.
Especially you.

After the worldquake, magic is seeping into our world

Effie Truelove is a new pupil at the Tusitala School for the Gifted, Troubled and Strange, with its twisted grey spires and an English teacher so frightening she gives the cla
Published April 6th 2017 by CANONGATE BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Green, please sign up.
Lyddie Hall Your niece is the perfect demographic for this book (to use nasty marketing speak). I've heard Scarlett talk about this book and she said her first…moreYour niece is the perfect demographic for this book (to use nasty marketing speak). I've heard Scarlett talk about this book and she said her first readers are between 9 and 12. (less)

Paromjit
Scarlett Thomas makes her first foray into children's fantasy fiction with panache. In the first book of what is intended to be a series, she does a marvellous job in world building with portals such as a bakery into the Otherworld. A young girl. Euphemia 'Effie' Truelove, is a charming and engaging heroine, aided in her quest by her newly acquired rag tag bunch of schoolfriends. Effie's mother disappeared in the bizarre worldquake which happened to also erase the internet. Her father remarries ...more
Joanne Harris
It takes a lot nowadays for an ARC to really excite me. Well, I was lucky enough to read an ARC of this book, and I think it's the most exciting debut in children's fiction since HARRY POTTER. Immersive, engaging, original; delightful in its details (a bun shop that serves as a portal to Otherworld; a library of Last Editions; a Princess School in which girls are trained to be appealing to dragons); playful, warm and yet thrilling, too, kids all over the world are going to be fighting their pare ...more
Thomas
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you read an entertaining, well-written children's fantasy like Dragon's Green, it often springs to mind just how good Rowling was at what she did. The effortless realism of the characters, the constantly evolving yet easy to follow plot, the heart-warming humour and the patience with which she builds her world and takes us on endless twists and turns so that we're left wondering until the very end. Dragon's Green is a good story and it's an unfair comparison. But Rowling is the yardstick of ...more
Marie the Librarian
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OH MY HEAVENS WHAT A WONDERFUL AMAZING PRECIOUS BOOK THIS IS. I AM IN LOVE. YES I NEED TO WRITE THIS IN ALL CAPS CAUSE IT IS SO DAMN GOOD. ITS FUNNY, THRILLING, EXCITING, MAGICAL, REALISTIC AND FULL OF AMAZING CHARACTERS. THE WORLD SCARLETT THOMAS HAS CREATED IS AMAZING AND MAGICAL. I love this book to bits and pieces and I just need the rest of the series right now. ITS SO ORIGINAL AND MAGICAL AND WONDERFUL.
Book Riot Community
This is the first children’s book from the amazing Thomas, and holy cats, is it fun. And it’s about – wait for it – BOOKS. When Effie’s grandfather becomes seriously ill, she must look after his library of rare and powerful books. But when one of the books falls into dangerous hands, Effie must travel to Otherworld to get it back. Did I mention this is all about books???? Purrrrrrrr.
Backlist bump: Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, Al
David Harris
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful to the publisher for an advance copy of this book via NetGalley.

This is, I think, Thomas's first book not for adults (It's described as YA but I'd have said perhaps YYA... I'm never really sure of the boundaries though). I should confess that I asked to read it because it's one of hers - having read and enjoyed her books for adults, I didn't really know what to expect, but was interested to see what she had written.

Which just shows the wonders of chance and coincidence because - apa
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Some books get all the hype internationally before they are translated to Dutch. But others do not. This was the case for Dragon’s Green as well. I had not heard of this book before it was translated to Dutch. But once I did it caught my attention immediately. With that book on the cover and the word dragon in the title I was all ears. Too bad I didn’t actually get a dragon…

Dragon’s Green is a middle grade fantasy book. As I started it, it initially seemed like a somewhat cute children’s story,
Anniek
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a cute middlegrade fantasy with a cool main character, here's your pick! It's clear to see what inspired the author to write this book: Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, Inkheart, and a bunch of old myths and legends as well. That means this isn't the most original book ever, but it was still refreshing and very entertaining.
Ruthiella
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, kids-ya
Scarlett Thomas is one of my favorite writers of fiction for adults so I was curious when I found out that she has written a middle grade series. It’s all very gothic and complicated and has a few clever riddles in it…I would expect no less from Thomas.

The main character is eleven year-old Effie Truelove who lost her mother 5 years earlier when the “Worldquake” happened. Now the world is stuck with mid-1990’s technology (the horror!) and everything is rather gray and dingy. Magic allegedly does
Kerry
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely tale about magic, books, portals, dragons and friendship. The main characters are warm and lovable and take you along on their journey.
A great read for young and older readers alike.
Nicole Sweeney
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles

Going into this book I hadn’t read anything by Scarlett Thomas before. I own a couple of her books for adults, but they are on my never ending to be read pile at the moment. I have a few friends who absolutely adore her books, so I was really looking forward to getting stuck into Dragon’s Green, and I definitely wasn’t disappointed.

Dragon’s Green is the first book in the Worldquake Sequence. A series which children and adults alike are just g
Charlotte (The Writers' Crown)
Trigger warnings for book:
Domestic abuse

This was so cosy and adventurous! The world was so vivid and busy, and the idea of books being powerful magical items was heart-warming and exciting. The Grandfather was also the most adorable character ever.

I wasn't a fan of the magic system at all however. I thought the whole magical currency/points system was boring and felt like a video game without the enjoyment of you playing. I appreciate it's complexity, however, for a book for younger readers.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Allen & Unwin for review.

A Top Book of 2017 pick

Ten Second Synopsis:
Effie knows that the books that her grandfather has left her in his will are important - so why does her father want to sell them so she can have nothing to do with them? Following her grandfather's clues, Effie uncovers a link to the Otherworld, a world full of magic, and she is determined to get back what is hers.

The blurb on this book is a little misleading, because it makes Effie's st
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The worldquake has caused all technology to go back to 1992, the time of pagers and closed network computers (i.e. no internet!) Effie's grandfather, her best pal in the world and the man meant to teach her magic has just died. He leaves her his library and a handful of magical artifacts, but her grandfather's nemesis' will not just allow her to have the super rare books. Will Effie and her new fr
Mara
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mg, 2018, 3-stars
I generally dislike living where I live when it comes to getting my grubby hands on books. Because I’m always stuck with buying things online and having to wait for ages, and I’m nearly always stuck with the UK-editions. (With some books, it’s a blessing (Adam Silvera) with some books, it’s a curse (Rick Riordan)). However, I found one advantage of living here, close to the UK, and that’s is that I get a lot more exposure to authors of the British Isles. There are books on my shelves I never hav ...more
Wendy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pitched as The Neverending Story meets the Bartimaeus trilogy, I was instantly sold when it was first brought up during a Simon Teen preview event. At the time, there was no magically looking cover, but only a vague and mysterious synopsis depicting a female heroine named Effie who, along with her companions, must travel to the Otherworld to retrieve the secrets of the Dragon's Green, a rare book that if fallen into the wrong hands can have devastating consequences.

When it comes to middle grade
Kayla
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway and when it comes to these, I typically just enter without actually reading anything about the book. When I received the ARC of Dragon’s Green, I didn’t realize that it was fantasy fiction for middle-schoolers (age 9-12). So I pretended as best I could to be 10 years old again and away I went. I was not sure what to expect going in.

Dragon’s Green ended up being pretty wonderful. The story is about a young girl named Effie Truelove who is living in a world simil
Lyddie Hall
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a couple of reasons. Firstly, because Scarlett is one of the lecturers at my university and I always like to read what they have written (for purely selfish reasons - it means I know what style they may like) and secondly, because I'm currently running an extended creative writing project for year sevens and we decided to read a book alongside the project.

Having heard Scarlett talk passionately about the Worldquake Series, it is easy to see that passion come through in the writing.
Alex
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Giles
I might have rated this a 3 and a half if that option were available. Several moments and scenarios were delightful. The book, however, was mostly world building exposition and the core action story seemed trivial. I will read another in this young reader series hoping the characters flesh out and a more profound baseline is developed.
Sofie
A sweet fantasy for children about the magic of books. A lovely quick read, the book is a pretty straightforward fantasy tale with magic as well as a containing some interesting ideas relating to books. I will pick up the next book in this series to see where it'll take us.
Amelia
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is such a cute middle grade fantasy book centered around books and I enjoyed it a lot! Definitely recommend if you are in the mood for it :)
Michael Earp
This is brilliant! I haven't read middle grade with such wit in YEARS! The fantasy is spot on, with all the best nods to our unmagical existence, and the team work required brought to mind the joy of the 'Dungeons and Dragons' cartoon I grew up watching and loving. Simply wonderful!
Susan Wojtas
DNF. Ugh, I’ve been picking the worst books lately. This had promise but it felt like the author was trying too hard. I didn’t care for this very much at all
Jennopenny
What a whimsy and quirky book. I would say it is more of a middle grade novel than young adult.
Adventure, friendship, dragons and magic. Also it's a book about books, and of course I like that.
Ry Herman
This one was simply a delight to read. A good story, well told. I will definitely be picking up the sequels.
Riotkittin
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written
Deckard Ra
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reason I picked this book is because the reviews called it the next Harry Potter. The reviews are correct. Worldquake has a very rich and layered world that draws you in. The themes of the book are friendship, education, bravery, belief, family, and so on. There are no curses or sexual scenes within. I can't wait for the next volume in the series.
Sarah Sammis
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent start of a new series.

Aurora Goga
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining and an engaging read that keeps you hooked. I liked the characters and the way new information was presented. It was funny and an interesting twist on magic. There were a few things I didn’t like too. The long lists was one of these, but I appreciate the writing style overall.

Suitable for anyone in the Harry Potter age group, with lots of interesting moral and logical dilemmas and themes like death, hiding things from people for selfish reasons or to protect them, and pressure
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Book of Storms (The Book of Storms Trilogy, #1)
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • The Black North
  • The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • Land
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Tribute
  • Snowglobe
  • The Way Past Winter
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • Beyond The Wall
  • Sky Song
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • There May Be a Castle
  • Birdy
  • Mother Tongue
  • Shiverton Hall
  • The Apprentice Witch (The Apprentice Witch, #1)
Scarlett Thomas was born in London in 1972. Her widely-acclaimed novels include PopCo, The End of Mr Y and The Seed Collectors. As well as writing literary fiction for adults, she has also written a literary fantasy series for children and a book about writing called Monkeys with Typewriters. Her work has been translated into more than 25 languages.

She has been longlisted for the Orange Prize, sh

Worldquake Sequence (3 books)
  • The Chosen Ones (Worldquake Sequence, #2)
  • Galloglass
“I promised your father I wouldn't teach you any magic. Particularly after what happened with your mother. And I also promised some other people that I would not do any magic for five years... and indeed I have not done any magic for five years. Although...' He looked at his watch. 'The five years is due to run out next Tuesday. Things should get more interesting then.” 1 likes
“It's amazing how many grandparents some children go through. At my last school one wretched child had SEVENTEEN. Another one died every time there was homework due. Think about it, class. SEVENTEEN.” 0 likes