Start by marking “The Helen One Hundred: 100 Dates in less than a year” as Want to Read:
The Helen One Hundred: 100 Dates in less than a year

The Helen One Hundred: 100 Dates in less than a year

Life was not a bowl of charm-soaked cherries for the miserable Helen Razer. She worked in discount advertising and wore elastic pants. She did, however, have a long-term girlfriend whose announcement one summer day that she was leaving left the author with nothing. A bewildered Razer takes the advice of her beauty therapist and soon embarks on one hundred dates inside a ca ...more
Published January 25th 2017 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about The Helen One Hundred, please sign up.
Helen Razer Well, you know, yes there is, Helen. And can I say, it is narrated by the author herself who is gifted of such a marvellous...
Srs. Just buy my book. …more
Srs. Just buy my book. (less)

Start your review of The Helen One Hundred: 100 Dates in less than a year
Helen Razer
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
In a memoir that records the year following the breakup of a longterm relationship, the author shows alarming boldness. Especially on goodreads, where she has awarded herself five stars, perhaps one and a half more than deserved.
Jane
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I should begin by saying I don't really like autobiography, and I dislike confessional autobiography in particular. Why have I given this four stars, then? Well. This is the story of what happens post-breakup. I expected, therefore, to read about the author (HR) taking the smashed bits of herself and building them into something new and greater. After all, Hollywood has conditioned me to expect these things. Rather than "Eat Pray Love" I'd hoped for "Rant F**k Laugh." However...that isn't what I ...more
Zora
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an intriguing proposition : Helen Razer goes on heaps of dates! Then writes about it. Mild spoiler alert: the book is not quite that. Like the better Razer columns, it is an original / fresh take on a dreadful aspect of modern life, in this case break up/ divorce and its aftermath, including the brand new world (for her) of online dating. I laughed, I winced, I underlined sentences and I even enjoyed most of the digressions. She will probably hate this assessment, but in these pages is a ki ...more
David Nguyen
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Though the book proves to be somewhat unsatisfying (it doesn't really fulfil its premise; the overall narrative fizzles out sharply by the end), Razer's witty, candid and often lewd prose keeps it very entertaining throughout. If you like her writing (which I do), you'll enjoy this. I laughed heartily on many occasions; the expression "grief chicken" has entered my personal lexicon.
Natalie  S
There was the bride stripped bare and now there’s the dumped stripped without a care. In The Helen 100, broadcaster and writer, Helen Razer is disarmingly honest in recounting the aftermath of the breakdown of her 15-year relationship. It’s a tale that thumbs its nose at traditional, dating self-help guides and instead offers something more funny and grounded in reality (the pain and heartbreak may be real but Razer sure does know how to make ‘em laugh).

Razer begins her dating odyssey by describ
Jacob Schluter
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is first book in a while that I've devoured in a weekend. And it certainly wasn't what I expected.

I've always enjoyed Helen's writing. This is no exception. I don't want to write a comment / rating that reads like I just read an amazing self help book that make me laugh out loud and feel feelings, but dammit, this book did that. And it did, in a way, do a little self help because there were so many times when I though 'oh jesus, I've done that'. And to the haters who turn their noses up at
Kirsten
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Helen Razer’s writing. I don’t always love everything she says (I’m no sycophant although I did once blush uncontrollably when flattered in Ms Razer’s presence) but I can still appreciate her turn of phrase while vehemently disagreeing with the content.

So to the Helen 100. It is not, as I was led to believe, ‘Bridget Jones for Marxists’ but a funny, provocative and candid account of life after a breakup, in all its overwrought, filthy, libidinous wretchedness.

I did get a little frustrat
Simob
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading and thank you Helen I laughed and loved it. Many of your thoughts echoed mine. Cheap Gerard is right, in a fashion. Thanks again for sharing a real divorce story, figurative warts and all. Best wishes and highly recommend from a 43 year old divorcee. PS: looking forward to the sequel X
Jan
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I read this book after hearing Helen interviewed on RN by Richard Fidler. Her story is told with a directness enhanced by her command of language both profane and well-read. Although there is personal pain involved in her story I take my lead from her interview to see this book as a comedy of manners. I enjoyed her book.
Suefmw
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blindingly searing honest and I got in early so cheap cheap cheap. Want an audio book version. Australia's best author no doubt. Notice no ! Or unnecessary Capitals. Hope I past muster.
Carlene
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 stars because #Brave
5th star awarded for author's own review
Jessica
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I bought this book because I'm in the middle of muddling my way through another breakup. Although I'm more partial to pita bread and chocolate than roast chicken, I spent today glued to 'The Helen 100'. painfully identifying with Helen. This memoir is hilarious and the most accurate book I've read about heartbreak and it's ability to drastically alter one's personal hygiene standards.
Kathy Fogarty
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much. As an age contemporary and with memories of Helen and Mikey on Triple J, I slipped into this book with a sense that there’d be some no holds barred truth telling of one sort or another. Funny, honest, rude, clever and very kind. And a lovely exposition on cats.
Andrea Barnett
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Warning it's crude, but put the prude aside for so many laugh-out-louds. 1 point off for the abrupt fizzle of an ending.
Loki
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyably silly and self-deprecating take on dealing with a breakup. I laughed out loud several times while reading it, and almost wanted to be going through a breakup of my own to appreciate it more. This isn't a book that lays everything out chronologically, which can get annoying at times, and nor is it one that concludes, so much as just abruptly ending.
Rosie
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Divorce and then dating memoir/advice with a Marxist bent. Yes you need this in your life (you might not know it yet). Highlights include the truth bomb that there are few things more bourgeois than adultery and shabby chic decorating. Happy reading.
Tamzin
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the black jellybean of memoirs, a little bit challenging for the tastebuds, probably not to everyone's liking, but a sweet chewy morsel of goodness none the less. A superb piece of work.
Raz
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Nikki
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
So many questions about this book, still.
Melinda Crumblin
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan from back in the triple j days so was very interested to read this . I love Helen's writing, even though I don't agree with everything she says and quite often I feel uncomfortable reading her stuff. I enjoyed this, it made me laugh and feel sorry for Helen and pretty much most people she encountered during this time in her life. 😏 I did have to put the book aside for a while when she made her absurd comments about Larissa Waters breastfeeding! But I picked it up again yesterday and fi ...more
Jess Bridgford
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
If you adore Helen’s writing style, which I do, you will love this book. Helen is incredibly self aware and hilarious. I smashed this book in one day.
Jo Waugh
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bloody funny. Couldn't get enough of Helen's keen observations about dating, splitting up, seeking that something and the ways we are our own worst enemy at times.
Bab
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked Helen Razer's writing. For those of you outside Australia, she's a columnist who mixes Marxist analysis with self-deprecating humour, sharply-observed satire and takedowns of pop-cultural icons. Sort of like Chapo Trap House, but before all that and probably a bit more broad-church in the sense that she is an LGBT feminist as well. Somehow despite her politics she has managed to get enough work in the Australian media to not starve, and even put on a few kilos now and then. Whi ...more
Helen Thurloe
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, pathetic, honest. And very well edited; pacy, then reflective, with not a semi-colon out of place. Unlike some other readers, I thought the ending worked. Thanks for (over)sharing, Helen.
Chelsea
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to freshly jilted humans. Much better than the mindfulness dreck of The Untethered Soul, which I borrowed on the recommendation of some break up reads listicle, only to give up on just one chapter in. The Helen One Hundred made me laugh countless times which is no small miracle when you are but a husk of a human. It was particularly comforting to read a break up book written by a fellow queer/ non-heterosexual woman, with the specificities that a break up of a non-he ...more
Jayne Lamb
You can't not love Helen Razer, really. She's like the unholy love child of Courtney Love and Dr House, after reading the complete works of Karl Marx. But I was a little disappointed in this one, comparing it to 'Gas Smells Awful' or 'In Pursuit Of Hygiene'.
The '100 Dates' thing feels like it was dropped in at the last minute, to give it the book a "USP" or whatever the fuck they call it. People like lists, I get that. But that's not what the book is about. It's a brief memoir of Razer's breaku
Wendy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This book came up on my book club list. I recently asked one of the members what he thought of the book as he had read it in advance and very nicely he said, 'oh it's not really my type of book.' Ok fair enough. Not knowing a thing about this book i have proceeded to read this book. Sorry to say but it's not my type of book either and I have to admit I haven't been able to finish it either. I am no prude but I have found this book to be the most vulgar and crass book I have ever read. The premis ...more
Lola Montgomery Marley
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book demands to have sections read out loud. Preferably to a similarly over-educated sensitive yet bravely honest soul to savour the true hilarity of trying to pick up in the age of Tinder - while being chronically unable to not engage intensely in cultural theory at the same time. Also must be ok with a lot of talk of vagina, barbecue chicken, heartbreak and a cat named Eleven.

This book is raw, candid, honest, heartbreaking and laugh-out-loud funny.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I did (mostly) really enjoy The Helen 100, although I was uncomfortable with Helen's exploits at times I was very comfortable with her vast wit and humour and intellectual capacity. It's an interesting read for the brave.

Anna
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book of the year. Bloody hilarious and intelligent. Helen can be my post-divorce buddy any day.

• The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in the Business of Death, Decay, and Disaster
  • Girt (The Unauthorised History of Australia #1)
  • Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • This Side of Paradise
  • How To Go Vegan: The why, the how, and everything you need to make going vegan easy
  • Change Your Thinking: Overcome Stress, Anxiety, and Depression, and Improve Your Life with CBT
  • When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
  • The Snow Leopard
  • Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time
  • The Secret Island
  • Life: A User's Manual
  • Angel Rock
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
  • The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal
  • Back on Top: Confessions of a High-Class Escort
  • Available: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Hookups, Love and Brunch
  • The Big Tilt
I write words. Generally, in exchange for money.