Start by marking “Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)

Beyond the Empire

(The Indranan War #3)

The adrenaline-fueled, explosive conclusion to the Indranan War trilogy by K. B. Wagers.

Gunrunner-turned-Empress Hail Bristol was dragged back to her home planet to take her rightful place in the palace. Her sisters and parents have been murdered, and the Indranan Empire is reeling from both treasonous plots and foreign invasion.
Now, on the run from enemies on all fronts,
Published November 14th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Empire

Morgan
I LOVED the first two books, reread them happily, and went into this book hoping to love it too. But the more progress I made, the more I thought, "This is sloppy."

Yeah, this is going to be a rant.

(view spoiler)
Beth Cato
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, science
I adored the first two books in this space trilogy, and the third book is even more intense, more enthralling, as the gunrunner-made-reluctant-empress strives to save the empire and avenge the butchery of her family. The only criticism I can offer is that the sheer number of names was difficult to keep straight at times. This book was everything I hoped it would be, and I was delighted to find out at the end that the series would continue with a new book!
Queen
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The whole series keeps a fast pace with the gunrunner empress, and it's a fantastic space adventure.
Crini
The writing was very repetitive, but the plot was epic! Great ending to an awesome series. Can't wait to read the sequel series.
Randal
Not as good as the first two books; not bad. Less than I had hoped for.
Character development essentially stopped somewhere in the middle of the trilogy, except for Fase, and she was shuttled to one side for most of this book. Instead, it became much more of a standard military sci-fi book.
The last third reminded me of a lot of computer games that start as open-world adventures but grow more and more scripted as you play through the end game, until you wind up on the rails for the finish, headed
Ariadne
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read and enjoyed the first two books in this series (with some caveats) so I was interested to see how Wagers was going to finish out her first trilogy. Unfortunately this just didn't land for me. It was just not well written (and it really pains me to say that). Not only are people laughing and grinning their way through all the dialogue on almost every page (I mean, people "bare their teeth" four times in the first 60 pages), but it reads like sitting in on a planning session of an RPG. The ...more
Donna
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed the first two but this one was a smoother read, largely because the tangle of names and titles felt more manageable than usual. I'm not sure if the ludicrously large cast of characters was handled better or if I just started to get used to the chaos. I loved Hao's role in this one, so it was nice to see that he didn't get lost in the mix.

On the "room for improvement" side of things, characters spent too much time explaining each other's feelings and reactions to Hail, and some people f
Lauren
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This series is extreme popcorn political scifi-action fun. The third volume got a bit repetitive at times (the first two in the series did the same but I didn't notice it as much there) and the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but the author is starting a new continuation series so it isn't really the end of the story. This isn't mindblowing or required by any means but was a really fun bit of escapist reading.
Jean-Marc
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good finale for this trilogy.

My only two small misgivings: Wilson motivation or 'reveal' was underwhelming and a bit of (dialog) repetition at time.

Hail Bristol is again at the center and really a great creation, very easy to relate to and cheer for her. In this book there is some growth to her, for example she thinks of going `gun blazing` to a `vilain hideout` but she backs down and come back later with her whole team. At the end there is a brutal game of cat and mouse with Wilson and she has
MrsJoseph
More like 3.5 stars.

The story wraps up rather tidily - but I started skimming a little by the end. I figured out who the bad guy was maybe 1/3 of the book before the cast - cause it was being kinda tossed in your face.

This one IS good - but its not as good as the previous two. The beginning, middle and most of the ending were A BLAST... The end was a good end to the plot arc...

...but I think this book suffers from "not really being the end of the series." There's another series directly after th
Elisabeth (Enthralled by the Written Word)
A thrilling and wonderful conclusion to a trilogy that somehow ended up reminding me of Les Miserables, even though I'm sure that was not the intent.
عهود
Shelves: 2017-read
***Actual rating: 4,50***
Paul
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sadly, all good things come to an end. I always get a little misty eyed when I get to the last book in a series I’ve really enjoyed. Beyond the Empire by K B Wagers is the final novel in The Indranan War trilogy and we’re going out on a high, it is an absolute blast.

Though Hail Bristol remains front and centre in this book, and by extension the entire series, it is still very much an ensemble piece. I’m particularly fond of Emmory, her Ekam (think chief bodyguard/chief of staff) and Zin (his par
Richard
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Despite really enjoying the previous two books, for some reason the third book didn't really do it for me nearly as much. There is a lot of the book that felt like the same scenes and conversations were repeating themselves and almost the entire last act felt like a bunch of extra padding when the main villain revealed himself to be a Bond villain with a penchant for games, traps, and riddles (this evolved over the course of the book, but became a bit ridiculous by the end).

What works? I still f
Karen Hobbs
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Way better than the Divergent series.
Not as good as The Hunger Games.
Alexa
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-sf-f
I finished this a couple days ago and raved about it on my other social media sites, but I wanted to let some of the fever wear off before I did a real review.

I loved this!!! This was a great finale! I am not all together happy with how Hail left things in the end, but seeing as there's another book coming out in November, I can forgive that because I GET TO COME BACK TO THIS WORLD!!!

Alright, I really loved Zin and Emmory's fight in the beginning. I love that they're married and they're bonded b
Evaine
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually finished this book 2 days ago, but I've been unable to even think about putting my thoughts down until now. And even now, I know I'm not going to do it justice.

I loved the book and the loved the series! I just clicked with the characters. Or they clicked with me... whatever. *LOL* I'm pretty sure there might be people out there who think Hail, the gunrunner empress, is too perfect, but you know what? She's like my superhero. Yes, she's one of the best gunrunners in the galaxy and you
Allison
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somehow I wasn't grabbed by this final book in the trilogy as much as I was the previous two. In the other books there was some downtime where the characters could just be themselves and reflect. Here, the action is nonstop as we barrel towards the conclusion and the end of the attempted coup against Empress Hailimi.
I love Hail as a character, as always. She just treads the line of antihero perfectly to not be a turn-off; it's understandable how ruthless she is and how she got to where she is no
Lianne Pheno
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Un fin de trilogie de toute beauté. Et si ce tome est plus lent que le précédent dans sa première partie du fait qu'une Impératrice n'est jamais vraiment au centre de l'action, la seconde partie et la fin ont bien comblés mes désirs.

Je suis un peu triste de finir cette histoire, mais heureusement l'autrice à annoncé qu'elle écrivait une autre série dans le même univers, du coup j'ai hâte d'en savoir plus.

Pour remettre un peu les choses dans leur contexte,
Vinay Badri
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Indranan War books were quite the perfect popcorn read even if it featured a fabulous hook for the lead character and based it on a matriarchal society with some inspirations from the Hindu culture. All this made it an effective hook to get in.

But once in, it really was the frenetic pace, Hail's background and the camaraderie that she shares with the people who accepted her as the Empress that made books 1 and 2 stand out. Book 3 is no different, even as the stakes escalate forcing Hail to t
Lizabeth Tucker
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Empress Hail Bristol and her allies must find a way to recover the Indranan throne from the man who has murdered her entire immediate family. Her twenty years as a gunrunner and mercenary will give her a different set of strengths and abilities to not only kill Wilson, the mastermind behind the revolt, but fight the Saxons as things heat up.

I devoured the first two books in this trilogy when I received them in a giveaway a year or so ago. I've been anxiously awaiting this installment. While I l
Barb in Maryland
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-goodies
Exciting conclusion to this trilogy, with a very satisfactory ending to wrap things up with a flourish.

It was interesting to see our heroine Hailima becoming more accustomed to actually being the Empress, accepting the limitations that the title and responsibilities placed on her gunrunner tendencies. She still managed to get herself into a lot of personal danger, however she was more willing to accept her Bodyguards' protection and their desire to keep her safe.
The Villain's identity came as a
Cam
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Nice enough ending to the Indranan War trilogy, with the primary mystery solved of who Wilson really was and why the civil war began. Fairly weak otherwise, but not unpleasant to fans of the series. Even though I had read the series without terribly long intervals, I found the mix of characters blended into each other as the Empress mourned their losses and/or repeatedly feared risking the lives of her supporters. Found myself scanning some of the scenes instead of really reading and being engag ...more
Imré Welnicki
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PHENOMENAL!!! Such an epic conclusion for this trilogy!

A fitting end for Wilson and his plot. He was a pretty good villain, though, with his meticulous planning. I was heartbroken when a certain Bodyguard died and torn apart even more when more details of his death were brought to light. KBW is an excellent author who knows where to hit where it hurts us readers the most. It's almost always a wonderful story when one of your favorite characters dies, because it happens in so many stories that we
Jennifer Koudelka
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
The final chapter in the Indranian War trilogy, K.B. Wagers sticks the landing. The book itself probably is a 4, with some slight pacing issues as we approach Hail's plan for retaking her planet and finally confronting Wilson after all that he's done, but the ending of the series was so strong that I'm bumping the score up to 5 for that. Wagers made me care so much about these fictional characters that a certain death scene (obviously not saying who. There are many characters in this book and I ...more
Dana
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked reading this trilogy. There's space battles, no sappy love triangle or romance angle at all, and one kickass ex-gunrunner empress. She never wanted to be empress. She had two sisters and a niece in line for the throne before her. Their biggest mistake was to leave Hail alive and kill everyone she loved. She was a princess, but more than that she was an independent gunrunner who never gave up hope on finding the man who killed her father. Then they killed the rest of her family, an ...more
Scott Austin
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first Indranan War book was billed as a Star Wars analog; I thought it spent more time in the politics of an empire in turmoil than Star Wars ever would. This book, however - a ragtag band of misfits fighting against an evil government in power in the capital system? Not much more Star Wars than that. I happened to see The Last Jedi while reading this and managed to get plot points mushed between the two of them.

My only complaint, for the entire series - if main characters laughed or stuck t
Jessica DiFelice (thefanaticreader)
What a great conclusion to this trilogy!

It was action packed, with political intrigue, and lots of space battles! This is a series that I really enjoyed. The characters were relatable and I really enjoyed their relationships. The world created was really cool and I liked how political change was brought about. The main character wasn't afraid of change and really was a badass - yet accepted her weaknesses and worked through them.

I really enjoyed the writing as well. It was easy to read, not ove
David
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was fun to read about Hail taking back her empire, and bring justice to her murdered family and friends.

It was also fun reading about Hail kicking ass. A lot of that ass kicking was as a leader, and wasn't direct foot to glutes, but we had some straight to the jugular butt bashing. That said, I would have enjoyed it more if Hail would have gone all out more often.

One very good thing about finishing the novel was that I saw there will be a second series, The Farian War. I deeply hope to see Ha
  • The Empress Game (The Empress Game Trilogy #1)
  • Valiant Dust (Breaker of Empires #1)
  • Untitled (The Last Magician, #3)
  • The V'Dan (First Salik War, #2)
  • A War in Crimson Embers (The Crimson Empire, #3)
  • North Star Guide Me Home (Children of the Black Sun #3)
  • Arabella The Traitor of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #3)
  • The Bronze Skies (Major Bhaajan, #2)
  • Neogenesis (Liaden Universe, #21)
  • Betrayal in Time (Kendra Donovan, #4)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)
  • Junk Mage
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox #2)
  • Call of Fire (Blood of Earth, #2)
  • The Glamour Thieves (Blue Unicorn, #1)
  • The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
  • Simply Perfect (Lady Blue Crew #8)
  • Hunt for Valamon
K.B. Wagers lives and runs in the shadow of Pikes Peak. She loves flipping tires and lifting heavy things. She's especially proud of her second-degree black belt in Shaolin Kung Fu and her three Tough Mudder completions. When not writing she can be found wrangling cats with her husband.

The Indranan War (3 books)
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • After the Crown (The Indranan War, #2)
“Good or bad is irrelevant. We walk the path laid out for us. Going back is never an option.” 0 likes