Start by marking “Brake Failure” as Want to Read:
Brake Failure

Brake Failure

This is an updated cover edition.

“Is it too late to tell him you love him when you are looking down the barrel of his gun?”

An English debutante transforms from Miss-Perfectly-Correct to criminally insane as she breaks the bonds of her rigid upbringing. Sheriff Hank Gephart tries to reel her in - but she’s out of control and she’s not hitting the brakes.

What
Published January 9th 2017 by Clipboard Press

To ask other readers questions about Brake Failure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brake Failure

Publication Date – January 9, 2017
Genre – Romantic Comedy
Type – Stand-Alone
Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story
I am NEVER disappointed when reading a story by Alison Brodie…she got me hooked on her book “The Double” and she quickly became one of my favorite authors when I want a few days full of laughs and surprises.

And this book didn’t let me down. In fact, I have to be honest and tell you that this one had more laughs than “The Double” and evenreview.
MyComedy
2017
PublicationNone
Brodie
Failure
Dianne
It's HERE! Celebrate the release of BRAKE FAILURE! Click on Banner to enter! Intl where allowed

Just when you thought you couldn’t find a laugh-out-loud tale that will keep you flipping pages as fast as possible, along comes Alison Brodie and Ruby! Brake Failure is Ruby’s story of transformation, of finding her inner wild-child of learning to love herself enough to find the one man she truly loves.

Growing up in a qu
Whispering Stories
Hypochondriac Ruby and her step sister Claire are highly competitive. They have a love/hate relationship, with more focus being on the hate. When Ruby’s husband is offered a job in Paris, Ruby is so excited and can’t wait to move, as well as shove the information in Claire’s face, as Paris is her dream home destination.

Cruelly, her husband accepts a different job, this time taking them from the streets of London and in the opposite direction of Paris, to the middle of Kansas, USA, le
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: January 9, 2017
Genre: Women's Fiction and Comedy

Brake Failure by Alison Brodie is a fun and humorous book that will keep you flipping the pages! It's been quite a while since I have read a book that has made me laugh like this one, so it's certainly a breath of fresh air for me. Sigh... I didn't even want it to end it was so good! Fans of quirky characters and stories that truly show character growth and development will want to pick up their copy of this novel./>
Amy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

This book takes place in the weeks leading up to New Year’ Eve 1999 and it was nostalgic in a way for me. I remember all of hoopla and uncertainty surrounding Y2K and revisiting this time period was a whole lot of fun! The prologue begins with sheriff Hank being shot and found in front of a nursing home, then flips back to a few months prior. I was curious as to how the prologue would connect to Ruby’s story as she’s an English woman and Hank is a sheri
Lauren Sapala
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, sexy, and just plain fun. I had a blast reading this book. What I really loved was that I could completely relate to the main character—a funny and intelligent woman who has landed somewhere totally unexpected and has to make the best of it, but somehow keeps ending up in situations reminiscent of I Love Lucy. That is, if Lucy had to deal with a bitchy diva socialite of a sister, crazy survivalists on the eve of the Y2K panic, and got caught in a bank robbery in the middle of it all.< ...more
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Brake Failure is a story that flicks between present day where Ruby, the main character, appears to be on the wrong side of the law and to the weeks in the run up to the present day.

Ruby I grew to really like the further into the story I got. She is quite spoilt and selfish to start with but I had to admire how feisty she is. She’s in a loveless marriage which is more one of convenience and it was quite sad to see her put convenience over her own true happiness.

Edward her
Teresa Scala
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this story was cute and funny. The characters had good development and the plot - while an old formula - worked very well with Ms. Brodie's spin on it.
Caroline Vincent
Love this novel! It's a contemporary romance with a twist and refreshingly different. Ruby, whose dreams of living a sophisticated life are those of her sister and mother, finds herself in Kansas City of all places! She didn't want to go, she wanted to move to Paris, but once in Kentucky, everything falls in place: who she is, what she likes, what she craves for in life. Follow Ruby and those she touched along her rocky path in Kansas - just sit back and enjoy a dazzling ride!

The moment you ope
Jules
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brake Failure is Alison Brodie’s latest romantic comedy. The story starts wide while Ms. Brodie introduces her characters. As the dual-timeline story progresses, the time lines converge, and the myriad of characters click into place in Ruby Mortimer-Smyth’s life.

Ruby and stepsister Claire are tightly wound and in constant competition for their mother’s approval. They marry well and aspire to be the favorite daughter; every conversation is a battle of one-ups-manship. Sadly for Ruby,
Vickie
"Is it too late to tell him you love him when you're looking down the barrel of his gun?"

A fun, quirky, laugh out loud, suspense filled read that captivated me from the get go.

Ruby Mortimer-Smyth is upper-class English, rigidly brought up; she knows the etiquette for every occasion. Feeling like the outsider in the family a disappointment constantly feeling inferior to her sister. That is until she breaks the news that not only is she getting married but she’s moving to Paris firmly wip
David Carraturo
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story very much. I found it amusing on almost every page as this fish out of water learned to swim and find her way from across the pond to the middle of nowhere USA. I had a Lucille Ball character in mind with this one, and loved the way the supporting characters made Ruby feel at home. I don't want to give story away, but it was very well done and the love triangle was nice to see develop. I also liked the two stories coming together as I am a big fan of that type of writing and ...more
Valerie
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a quick, funny book then this may be the book for you. This book is about Ruby and her survival of Y2K. The book is written in an easy to read format that will make you laugh out loud.

This book was interesting in that it has both some parts adventure, as well as a little romance thrown in. The plot was one that kept my attention throughout.

The best part of this book for me was the characters. I enjoyed seeing what next thing Ruby would do. You can t
InD'tale Magazine
This story captures the reader’s interest with characters possessing strong, believable backgrounds; unique voices and personal quirks that highlight the diversity of human nature.

Read full review in the 2016 December issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Kathy Wideman
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, emotional, funny
This book was an interesting read for sure. Ruby has married a proper English man and is a proper English woman. She knows the proper etiquette for every situation and how to make all kinds of fancy food. Her mother left one day and never came back. Her father remarried a wonderful woman named Vanessa and was a great step-mother. However Vanessa wants Ruby to be a certain way and maybe Ruby doesn’t really want to be that way. Ruby finds herself in Kansas, USA instead Paris France when her new hu ...more
Tracey
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover of this book made me feel happy inside, as if the driver doesn't have a care in the world and is fun loving. On reading the book it turns out that one indeed can judge a book by its cover.
This book was such a funny enjoyable read which had me giggling a lot.
There is romance and suspense with a very brave lady in the mix too. Its all happening in this quick whittled, dramatic and very entertaining book.
Everyone needs to read this book once it is published, its blooming
Dramatically Bookish (ReviewsMayVary)
Review almost done. This would be a good Women's Lit book club pick.

Caroline Barker
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say I loved this story is an understatement. Brake Failure is a powerful romantic suspense, with quick wit and humour at times when you least expect it for a great uplifting experience between the intense scenes. Ruby, an extremely well-to-do upper class Brit, has her hopes and dreams set on a life in Paris; living up to the expectations of her stepmother and stepsister. Marriage is more of one of convenience than love and desire, and so when she realises her husband has been offered a job in ...more
DJ Sakata
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

Claire was never late, except when she wanted to undermine the enemy – and Ruby was the enemy. They’d been at war since they became sisters at the age of eight. Then, it had been a blitzkrieg of shin-kicking; but now they were adults, it was more stealth and guerrilla tactics.

She waved as if Ruby were far out to sea. She always had to do something that stopped a room talking. Leading the maitre d’ like a favoured slave, she sailed over, her eyes raking up
Kerry
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brake Failure is the first of Alison Brodie's books I have read, but it most certainly won't be my last! I have thoroughly enjoyed Ruby's story.
The whole book spans the few weeks on the run up to (where most people are stressing about what might happen when the clock strikes midnight) and including New Years Eve 1999. It starts just before midnight on 31st December 1999. Sheriff Hank Gephart has been shot and it seems the shooter might be someone called Ruby. The story then switches to 16
Grass monster
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blurb :
Ruby Mortimer-Smyth is upper-class English, rigidly brought up to marry a man from the pages of Burke’s Peerage. She knows the etiquette for every occasion and her soufflés NEVER collapse.
She is in control of her life, tightly in control. Until …she ends up in Kansas.
Ruby believes that life is like a car; common-sense keeps it on the road, passion sends it into a ditch. What she doesn't know is, she's on a collision course with Sheriff Hank Gephart.
Sheriff Hank Gephart c
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witty, snarky, off-the cuff sarcastic humor that makes you cheer for Ruby.

Ruby's life has been a competition. She has a habit of coming in second place.
Finally she has reason to boast about what is about to happen to her -- she is going to life in Paris!
And then she is not.

Directed to exist in the wilds of the United States where her new husband desperately tries to land a dog food account, Ruby feels she can help him and then they will get the Paris reward. ...more
Linda Buzard-Moffitt
This was a cute, quirky & fun book. It was neat to watch Ruby change and grow throughout the book in humorous ways. If you like romantic comedies with some suspense, then you will enjoy this one. I asked for an ARC of this book and liked it a lot. So I honestly wrote this review of my own opinions about the book Brake Failure.
Carmen
Edward Thompson didn't seem to be ready to give up his standards, and his wife, Ruby; also appeared quite sheltered at times from her reactions. This was a novel I enjoyed reading. I got a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Dawn West
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for honest review.**

This book was a hoot!

When you've been in competition against your sister for your entire life, marry a man for convenience rather than love, and flee to the doctor for every little thing thinking the worst is happening to you... is it any wonder that one day you might just snap?

Ruby is tired of living in her sister's shadow and always being the butt
Jen
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. For the sake of full disclosure, I will start this review by being completely transparent and honest. I received a copy of 'Brake Failure' from the author, Alison Brodie.

And I'm very glad I did.

This book is really bloody funny.

There. Now that's out of the way, I can tell you why. From the beginning Alison Brodie has set up both an element of intrigue and also the comedic personality of our heroine, Ruby.

At the very start of the novel we discover Hank, a
Lisa
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay guys so when I was sent this book by the lovely author Alison Brodie I really did not know what to expect. I feel like a lot of the time the title and the cover kind of gives it away a little bit but I didn't really feel like it did with Brake Failure.

Obviously after reading the synopsis I had an idea of what the book was about and was excited to get cracking. I have a tendency to read books far too quickly at times so I reluctantly slowed down and took a bit more time with this
Tania Dutton
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book that I would highly recommend. The characters were captivating and realistic and the story line had me hooked. When I finished reading, I missed the characters and wanted to start reading the book again!
You can read my full review here: http://www.whentaniatalks.com/brake-f...
Linda Hill
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruby is in constant competition with her step-sister Claire to behave like a lady. However, after Ruby’s wedding to the tedious Edward, a sibling rivalry will be the last of her worries.

I really enjoyed Brake Failure. It’s hugely entertaining. There’s a quirkiness to the writing that provides pace, humour and wit as well as underlying tensions and sensuality.

Initially it took me a while to get into the structure as it tracks back and forth from New Year’s Eve 1999 to five
Heather Duff
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A great fun read, Brake Failure is a flashback to the final year of the nineties and this craziness that came before Y2K. Told in a back to front way, this is a crazy drive from start to finish.

We meet Ruby, who is, well she has had a privileged upbringing, a wonderful sense of entitlement and basically seems hellbent on getting one over on her step-sister. To her the ultimate goal is Paris and her husband who she seems to use for her own personal gain rather than love is going to b
« previous 1 3 next »
Book Giveaways: $25 Gift Card Giveaway from Alison Brodie 1 13 Jan 08, 2017 09:55PM
7 book bloggers have chosen ZENKA in their *Best Reads of 2017* -Being Anne, Ali the Dragon Slayer, Dash Fan Reviews, Book Dragon Girl, Wall-to-Wall Books, Lauren Sapala, A Reader's Review.

THE DOUBLE: “Proof of her genius in writing fiction” -San Francisco Book Review.

BRAKE FAILURE: “Masterpiece of humor”–Midwest Book Review