Start by marking “Dead Heat” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat

Dead Heat

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  5,402 Ratings  ·  372 Reviews
On the heels of Under Orders, ?Francis once again proves himself a master. Wow.? (BOOKLIST)

Max Moreton is a rising culinary star?until his guests fall victim to severe food poisoning?and then a bomb blast rips through the luncheon he?s catering. Two close calls are too close for comfort, and Max vows to protect his name, and himself, before it?s too late.
Published September 2nd 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2007)

Julien Kreuze
Aug 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting read, for one particular reason: this can't be Dick Francis. All the surface pieces are here that indicate a Francis novel: the the understated tone, the careful plot, the (yawn) quietly brilliant protagonist. And yet all of the essential elements that make Francis so GOOD, that extra layer of... substance, are absolutely missing. The wry, unassuming humor, the deft characterizations, the simple insights into people and situations. Nada. If you really like Dick Francis, you mi ...more
Bev Taylor
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
max is a leading chef at a restaurant in newmarket with a michelin star. h/e after a dinner in his restaurant nearly all the guests fall ill with food poisoning, including max

his restaurant is closed down pending an investigation but he has an o/s catering job at one of the boxes at newmarket for the 2000 guineas. not feeling really up to it he soldiers on with the help of his staff and just when things have finished a bomb goes off .....

19 people r killed and although max manages to survive h
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys good writing
I'm not a horse racing fan, but I am a fan of good writing, and Dick Francis is one of my top all-time favorite fiction writers. He's a master of the cliffhanger chapter endings that keep me turning the pages until I've finished, to the detriment of sleep and chores getting done. This book is no exception. I'd heard he's retired from writing, but apparently his son persuaded him to keep it up; Dead Heat is a collaboration of the two of them. Excuse me, but I've got to get back to the book ...
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was co-written with his son Felix--meaning Dad did the outline while Felix did the writing with Dad looking over his shoulder. It's an okay mystery, but the pacing and feel is just slightly off. Sometimes there are too many information dumps that slow the pace and others, everything is there, but just doesn't quiet gel. When Dick Francis' name is over everything, you expect certain things from the book, and this one just doesn't quite deliver the goods.

While I don't expect Felix to be exac
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-adventure
Year before last I re-read all my Dick Francis books in order of publication because I was afraid he would stop writing after his wife's death. Last year he produced Under Orders, much to my gratification and pleasure, since Sid Haley is one of my favorite characters. But Dead Heat, written with his son Felix, is Dick Francis and better. I could hardly put the book down and was thrilled at the end to find an advertisement for the next book, Silks. Now I can stop worrying. Dick Francis will conti ...more
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse-crime, fiction
5 stars if only for no other reason that I couldn't put this down. I have this nagging feeling I've read this before, but it turns out I only remembered one of the protagonists and not their motives, which gave me a nice surprise. The plot twists started from the beginning, and built into a delicious climax. I would have preferred slightly more resolution, but what there was made me smile.
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francis
Easily the most boring book bearing the Francis name.It appears to be mostly the work of his son,Felix.The book hardly ever comes to life and the tedium stretches on for over 400 pages.
Lynn Pribus
The big puzzle here is why I continued listening to this CD set. While it purports to be by Dick Francis, it was most likely mostly by his son Felix who, sad to say, is no Dick Francis. The usual torture, frustration, blood, and flimsy romance, but it was about a restrateur rather than racing, although horses did have something do with the incredibly unlikely plot.

And there was a bit of esoteric horse information toward the end that "enabled" the plot.

Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Heart-pounding, nail-bitingly exciting story will have you reading in a feverish frenzy to get to the end!

Highly acclaimed, bestselling author Dick Francis returned after a six-year absence with ‘Under Orders’ much to the delight of both avid readers and horse racing fans alike. His exceptional writing-style, detailed and intricately woven, cleverly crafted plots fueled by such dramatic, intense narrative is outstanding. As a horse racing enthusiast, Dick Francis is an author who stands-ou
Cindy Bellomy
Not one of his/their better ones. Just not as well written as the older Dick Francis books. Missing that special humor & cleverness.

Actually, a second read, which I didn't realize for quite awhile. Tells you something about the book, I suppose.
What is there to say about Dick Francis? As I think about all of his books (yes, this review covers all of his books, and yes I've read them all) I think about a moral ethical hero, steeped in intelligence and goodness embroiled in evil machinations within British horse racing society - either directly or indirectly. The heroes aren't always horse jockies, they can be film producers, or involve heroes engaged in peripheral professions that somehow always touch the horse racing world.

But more tha
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the 80s and 90s I read every one of Dick Francis' novels. I loved them then and I still love them. This is how to write mysteries folks. You have believable and likeable characters set in an arena that the author is obviously familiar with and comes to a nice conclusion without a lot of bombast. In this instance Francis is writing with his son and it is still recognizable Francis fiction. (sometimes collaborations of authors don't go so well)

Max Moreton is a Michelin star chef in Newmark
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had a double appeal, with a restaurant owner as the main character with a musician angle thrown in. (I used to own a restaurant and I play French Horn.) I have been reading Dick Francis for many years and have an extensive collection of firsts of his. Although he is now old and fragile, this piece co-written with his son encourages all us fans that he has passed on his talents. There's some interesting info about this collaboration on his website - worth a visit.
Wendell Hennan
the sense of humour evident in Bloodline has not returned. The plot twists and turns, but dragged slowly for many chapters and seemed unbelievable. The final few chapters brought it all together with an intensity as Max Moreton and Caroline fend off Komarov and a good customer/friend and an employee.
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dick Francis books never fail. Same formula perhaps, same type of protagonist, but the settings and individual characters are so well researched that each one is a fresh adventure from which I always learn something new. They're not all about horses!
sonja figueiredo
really enjoyed the book. Very interesting.
Enjoyable enough, but certainly not great. The "crime" part of the plot was incredibly far-fetched, but the main character (Max Morton) was charming and likable (so I'm rounding 2.5 stars up to 3).
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voor Nek aan nek ging Dick Francis, inmiddels 89, de samenwerking aan met zijn zoon Felix Francis, die voor zijn vader al voor eerdere boeken onderzoek deed. De samenwerking is uitstekend verlopen: Nek aan nek is een heerlijk boek.

Max Moreton is een jonge, succesvolle kok. Hij is met financiële hulp van een vriend The Hay Net begonnen, en het restaurant, gelegen in Newmarket, loopt verbazend goed. Op een boze vrijdagavond heeft Max een groot diner gekookt waar blijkbaar iets niet mee in orde was
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always learned something new from the Dick Francis novels, it's good to know the tradition continues. Enjoyable read that keeps you guessing.
Linda Klages
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really well done - lots of background info was researched - will read more from this author duo. Twists, turns and more turns. Great title.
Ray LaManna
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dick Francis is a good writer... good engaging novel...and I learned a lot about racing and running a restaurant!
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone recommended these books. I was not impressed and do not intend to check out any others!
David Weinfeld
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story of restaurateur who gets targeted by some evil drug dealers. all the action takes place around the racing community
Fernando Catalina
Interesting story involving a chef that caters to the horse racing world. A good page-turner but not one of Dick Francis’ best. Worth reading nonetheless as brain-candy.
Annie Burrows
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
I absolutely loved this book - especially the section with the Environmental Health Officer (for personal reasons!) and all the investigations into the outbreak of food poisoning which threatened the chef hero's career.
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Together, son and father, Dick and Felix Francis, managed to concoct more than one mystery prior to the death of the late, great jockey and mystery novelist. Dead Heat manages to aggregate the successful ingredients of previous Francis mysteries (lay person in fascinating profession forced to solve a mystery, events and deaths moving ever closer to the protagonist lay person, interests in the fairer sex (I don’t recall a female protagonist in Francis’ work) that may or may not work out but featu ...more
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Max Moreton is a chef who has hit his stride. He is in demand, has a restaurant of high acclaim and is loving life. In just a couple of days he has been thrown to the bottom. Two high profile affairs he caters has guests down with food poisoning, the health department shuts him down to investigate the incident, and then at the second one there is a deadly explosion resulting in serious injuries and deaths.

What is going on? Who is behind all this mayhem? Max sets off to find out, but finds that i
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DEAD HEAT (Suspense-Max Moreton-England/Chicago-Cont) – VG
Francis, Dick and Felix Francis – 41st book
Michael Joseph, 2007, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780718153656
First Sentence: I wondered if I was dying
*** Son of a jockey and trainer, Max Moreton has found his vocation not on the track, but in the kitchen. He is the co-owner and Michelin-star chef of The Hey Market in Newcastle. The night before the annual Guinness 200, Max prepares a special dinner at the race course. The result is seven dead and s
100 pages still no plot!! 5 23 Oct 04, 2013 05:11PM
  • Dick Francis's Bloodline
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Sinners and Saints
  • The Skull Beneath the Skin (Cordelia Gray, #2)
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • The Burglar in the Rye (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #9)
  • The First Eagle (Leaphorn  & Chee, #13)
  • At Risk (Steve Cline Mysteries #1)
  • Centered Riding
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Italian Lessons
  • Half Moon Street (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #20)
Dick Francis CBE (born Richard Stanley Francis) was a popular British horse racing crime writer and retired jockey.

Dick Francis worked on his books with his wife, Mary, before her death. Dick considered his wife to be his co-writer - as he is quoted in the book, "The Dick Francis Companion", released in 2003:
"Mary and I worked as a team. ... I have often said that I would have been happy to have b
More about Dick Francis...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00