Start by marking “L'Abri” as Want to Read:
L'Abri

L'Abri

In 1955 an American family moved into a chalet on the side of a steep Swiss alp. They did not know exactly why God had brought them there, what He wanted them to do, or even where the money to live on would come from. But He began opening doors, and people with questions about life's meaning began finding the way to their home.

Edith Schaeffer, wife of Dr. Francis Schaeffer
Published April 28th 1992 by Crossway Books (first published October 28th 1972)

Start your review of L'Abri
Gretchen Rubin
I don't remember why I happened to read this book (or Crazy for God, by Edith's son Frank Schaeffer) but it was fascinating to read them together; they are two versions of the same events, from a mother and a son. And both books are interesting from their own perspective.
Heather
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Previously I read Edith Schaeffer's The Hidden Art of Homemaking with an online group led by Cindy Rollins and enjoyed it, so when I spotted an older copy of L'Abri at a used book sale, I snapped it up. After spending almost year on my bookshelf waiting its turn to be read, I plucked it off the shelf on a Thursday night on a whim and read it exclusively until I finished it Saturday morning right before lunch. I knew the basics about Edith and Francis Schaeffer's story, had read books and article ...more
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book really challenged the way I view possessions and even the way I use my time during the day. It is so encouraging to read a book from the perspective of someone who has really "given it all" on a daily basis. I realized that if I truly believe in God's ultimate sovereignty, I need to live a life that wouldn't make sense unless it's true. He is truly trustworthy to provide everything we need in life, financially, emotionally, relationally, etc. I was so encouraged by reading this book th ...more
Madison
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Just beautiful. She's so real, and God is so great.
Kate Hacker
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really great read - an encouraging example of living by faith and a stirring testimony of how God can and does work through just a few people.
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
Interesting and encouraging account of how Francis and Edith Schaeffer were led to create L'Abri, a family-style mission of helping people work through their intellectual and spiritual doubts. Although I really got bogged down by the amount of names of people who were converted at L'Abri and had a hard time keeping track of who was who, it was convicting to see how much they trusted God with providing for them and were excited to be a part of God's plan.
Abby
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kind of the original “The gospel comes with a housekey” with more gospel and less tangential theological rants. Loved this glimpse into the Schaefer’s and LAbri life. If you’re only going to read one, read The Hidden Art of Homemaking. But then you will want to read more.

I noticed some things that made it much easier to appreciate her story:
1) she had 4 children but they were born 3+ years apart and she notes that the little stage required her to recuse herself from a lot.
2) she did not homes
Jared Smith
Edith Schaeffer's prevalent desire throughout L'Abri is to catalogue the work that God did in their lives and thus fulfill her and her husband Francis' greatest aim in life - to show others that there is a God, He is personal, and He is there. Though sometimes the chapters read like long blogs posts, overall L'Abri is a fantastic testament to the work God was doing (not only the Schaeffers' lives but also in the world at large) that reads like a well-worn memoir. I felt as if Edith had invited m ...more
Holly
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a book about God’s providence and provision, and I enjoyed reading Edith’s story on the founding of L’Abri. It was very long and descriptive, so it was a lot of work to get through, but there were several gems here. I loved seeing the daily miracles that took place in their ministry, and the huge mountains that were moved as a result of God’s provision and their prayer and faith in Him. It’s truly amazing to see the enormity of impact this community has had, and how it all began as a she ...more
Matt Moran
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Schaeffer tells the story of L'Abri. This book rambles at times, the punctuation is strange, and it sometimes feels like a bunch of ministry newsletters strung together. However, the central story itself is challenging and inspiring, as are the points that Schaeffer drives home.

- A ministry built on prayer and dependence.

- A commitment to show the reality of a personal God.

- The necessity of prayer and action - or the recognition that God will answer prayer in a way that requires uncomfortable p
Jamie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really appreciate the Schaeffers, and their legacy. This book increased that sentiment, although she did a fabulous job on keeping the attention on God's amazing work to His glory, not theirs. The book does drag at times, and includes a lot of details which would be more fascinating to me if I was more involved in L'Abri and curious of its history, perhaps, or if I was more of a detail person. It is a similar story of how God worked to provide for George Muller and his ministry. The highlight ...more
Jessie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EVERY Christian should read this book. This story is a about a family that seeks to follow Jesus with everything. How they worked hard, prayed hard and sought His Kingdom. It really made me stop and think about how great God is and have a real conversation with myself about whether I was really willing for Him to use me. “Real” is a word that would use to describe this book. Edith is brutally honest about the trials but also the spiritual fruit. It’s a book I have to reread again later in life.
Melanie Mead
This was a fascinating look at the beginnings of the influential ministry of Francis and Edith Schaeffer based in Switzerland. I was especially inspired by their simple faith and trust in the Lord to provide all of their needs and the power of a genuinely open home to share Jesus with all kinds of people. At times the story dragged a little bit and it was hard to keep track of all the names of people and places but overall, I loved it and thank God for this ministry which is still going today.
Kelly
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book with my older kids. It has grown me as a person in my prayer life and my trust in the Lord. There are parts where it's hard to keep track of who is who and there are details that seem tedious, but it gives you a real insight into normal people's lives as God used them.
Laura Robb
An encouraging story of faith and God answering "impossible" prayers over and over. And a great reminder that God really provides "daily bread."
Kate
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing at times was a bit too disjointed but I did appreciate learning the Schaeffers' story and steadfast faith.
Jonathan Wylie
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
One of the best recent books of relying on God's faithfulness. This book has encouraged me to live on the dependence of God and not try to fit my planning into everything.
Shiloh
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiographies
It is always worthwhile to hear the life stories of humans submitting to God. Inspiring!
Rachel B
I loved this book!

Edith Schaeffer writes about how she and her husband, Francis Schaeffer, came to begin L'Abri Fellowship, a community where people can come and wrestle with their questions about God and spirituality.

One of the hallmarks of this community is that Edith and Francis aren't official missionaries and don't receive traditional financial support. They also don't advertise their needs widely or ask for funds. Instead, they pray and trust God to provide for their needs - and He has.

As
Phil Princey
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Another book that's been sitting on my shelf for years and finally have got around to reading.

A book written in 1969, this edition having an added chapter about the continuing story five years later. Written by Edith Schaeffer about the ministry her and husband Francis started in Switzerland called L'abri. It has wonderful Christian testimonies of answered prayer and of faith, getting through challenging circumstances.

I loved the stories about the family and their thrilling adventure building
Alexis Neal
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, 100-books
Francis Schaeffer's widow recalls their years at L'Abri, a retreat-cum-commune they founded in the Swiss Alps. Although they originally intended to serve as more traditional missionaries to Switzerland, the Schaeffers ended up opening their chalet to literally hundreds of visitors who came to ski the slopes and talk through difficult questions with Edith and her husband. From their first few years in Switzerland, through all sorts of political, financial, personal, and physical obstacles, to the ...more
James Harmeling
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have wanted to read this for some time and am glad I took the opportunity now. This book is the summation of the steps of faith taken by the famed Schaeffers moving from St.Louis to the Swiss Alps by the leading of the Holy Spirit without clarity of task, provision, or even lodging. Their decision to limit their financial requests to prayerful petitions makes sense now that I read Edith's parents having served with CIM.

While sometimes bogged down in details and listing of names, I found the st
Christine
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting read of how L'Abri got started (in spite of the Schaeffers' original intentions in moving to the Swiss Alps. Stirring chapters on living by prayer, and in comparison, she made me feel quite lazy and unproductive when looking at just how much was accomplished each day. No Facebook/email distractions for one!! She wrote it in such a way as to be evangelistic as well. Writing out some answers Francis S gave to people's inquiries.

I thought this section particularly thought-provo
Melissa
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coyle
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Excellent material, though this could have used a hefty editing. Certainly the chronology and characters could have been straightened out a bit. It wasn't always clear what order things were happening in, and there was far too large a cast of characters, though of course that's part of the point of L'Abri. This does accomplish its task in that it makes me want to learn more about Francis Schaeffer and L'Abri. It does not, however, make me want to do so by reading more of Mrs. Schaeffer's books.

R
Daniel and Rebekah Eikum
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book really inspired me. I love the emphasis on the God who is REALLY THERE, the continuity of truth and the beauty of living in community. They gave up everything for the message of truth. It's amazing to see what fruit came out of their sacrifice. And yet Edith Schaeffer is so honest about how hard it was day to day. I love when she recounts about the summer when she watered her garden at midnight. She inspires such dignity while embracing the most humble of tasks because they are done in ...more
Sara
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Edith Schaeffer's L'Abri is a touchstone for many conservative Christians who, to this day, still seem to idolize Schaeffer & her husband for their work in establishing the Swiss retreat. Edith's account of their work, in this book, is certainly glowing and positive. If, however, you also read their son's memoir, Crazy for God, as well as one or more of his roman-a-clef such as Portofino, the picture becomes very murky if not dark. Clearly, things were not as wonderful or happy as Edith Schaeffe ...more
Clarina
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a repeat read as I just love the combination of Edith's creativity, the Alps and a record of God at work. All my favourite things in one book! It's a golden oldie (I think it was printed in the late 70s) but its a fab story of how the now HUGE L'Abri movement started and its one I nabbed from my Grandparents bookshelves when I was a uni student.
If you don't know what L'Abri is all about, you can check that out here but seriously worth a read if you like some insight into Francis and Edi
Sara Joseph
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book shows up at just the right time.
I was mulling over several things that only God could have known about. In a strange sort of way, this book addressed several of those thoughts that presented themselves in fragments to me. Others may not find this book as relevant as I did, but I was truly inspired by this account.
God is amazing and His working in our lives is so wonderfully multifaceted. I never tire of reading about how He reveals His plans and purposes to those who are yielde
Rebekah McGee
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read and reread this book. We named our daughter Edith after Edith Schaeffer. This book encourages me in so many ways, but in some: the importance of prayer and the holy spirit in ministry; there is a need for flexibility in hospitality, and that the people are the mission. I loved the stories of the people who came and were served and loved and knew God better for it. Edith is someone I admire and hope my daughter has her same servant heart and strong perseverance in life.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hannah Coulter
  • Book Girl: A Journey Through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life
  • Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • For the Family's Sake
  • What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • Walking with C.S. Lewis, Leader Guide: A Spiritual Journey Through His Life and Writings
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles #1)
  • On the Horizon
  • Your God Is Too White
  • That Hideous Strength (The Space Trilogy, #3)
  • Te Tiriti o Waitangi / The Treaty of Waitangi
  • Counted with the Stars (Out From Egypt, #1)
  • Something Rich and Strange: Selected Stories
  • In His Image
  • The Palmer Pletsch Complete Guide to Fitting: Sew Great Clothes for Every Body. Fit Any Fashion Pattern
EDITH SCHAEFFER is the widow of Francis Schaeffer, and with him co-founder of L'Abri Fellowship. Her many books include A Celebration of Children and The Life of Prayer. She passed away in 2013.

Recognized internationally for his work in Christianity and culture, Francis A. Schaeffer authored more than twenty books, which have been translated into a score of languages and sold millions worldwide. H