Start by marking “Color of Love” as Want to Read:
Color of Love

Color of Love

England, 1857

The British aristocracy is an inflexible judge. And for Amala, a lovely young Indian woman, that judgment is most keenly felt. Raised from a child by the wealthy Hepworth family following the murder of her parents, Amala grew up alongside the Hepworth’s own daughter, Katarina, and was loved as both sister and daughter. The family is part of the charmed circle

Published January 1st 2017 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Color of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color of Love

Artimus
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of anita's best books....as far as the story line and moral go! I cannot say that about the many grammatical, spelling, time period, and repeat errors that are in the book though.
Shauna
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the many twists in this story!
So creative and unexpected--making you read far into the night!
Amala, Henry, and Kat will become very close friends that you will want to spend time with-- wishing that their story will never end.
Such a GREAT BOOK! I highly recommend it!
Charissa
This features Amala, an Indian girl who has been raised by English parents in Regency time period after her parents were killed in India. The family returns to England, where she learns to act English, dress English, and think like an English woman…but Amala will still never be able to fit in because of the dark color of her skin. Most English look down upon her, despite her cultured upbringing, and think she is an abomination. When she meets Henry Breckenridge, they are mutually attracted to ea ...more
Tessa
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I so wanted to love this book. And when I started it, I did love it. However, each of the characters became increasingly annoying. And the amount of time these people talked about their feelings would be enough to drive anyone batty. Overall, a potentially fun story that unfortunately turned out to be a disappointment.
Sydney
I have always been fascinated with stories that take place in India or have characters that visit or are from India. I also am a huge fan of Anita Stansfield novels. So when given the chance to read and review Color of Love, I took the opportunity. Stansfield has written a delightfully engaging historical romance. Her characters come to life as she tells the story of an Indian young woman, Amala, raised by an English family after her own family is killed when she is a child. But although she is ...more
Amanda
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
*SPOILERS*

I had a hard time deciding what to rate this book. I loved so many aspects of this book, and I see why she did things the way she did them...but the middle of the book was so frustrating to read sometimes. I was left wanting more of Amala's story when she wasn't traveling with her aunt. I wanted to read more about her romance with Henry, more tender moments between them. And it's just plain weird that Henry married Kat. Again, I get why Anita did what she did...it was just a little ha
Chatharina
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-bookshelf
I think that this book could have been much better if it was a little more like Jane Eyre, detailing the life and trials of a young Indian girl in England as she grew up rather than making it sound like a misconception. The love interest was moody like Harry Potter in the 5th book and cried a little too much. Congrats on writing a book that involves an issue such as race. The average person who reads this book will wish they could smack the main character repeatedly for being so prejudiced again ...more
Jan 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
It was hard to muddle through this romance novel.

Boring, predictable, and completely uninteresting.

All the action was inside the characters heads, where the author TOLD you the story, and never showed the reader anything interesting.

This book does everything a good writer should NOT do.

I have no desire to read any other books by this author.
Traci Sessions
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The author takes some tough subjects of prejudice and racism and how this may make a person feel inferior and wraps it all into a story of love with people who love without prejudice. This story has a lot of twists and turns and surprises and it keeps the reader very engaged.
Lydia
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about Amala, a woman from India living in English society and the struggles she faced. I was completely caught up in her romance with Henry and even understood the conflicts, however I found myself skimming the middle half of the book with a need to get back to their story.
Cherri
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Amala, Indian and living in England with adopted family, has decided to never marry since society reminds her daily that she doesn't belong. Along comes Henry, who loves India and loves Amala.
Valerie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book on love and loss and racial prejudice in Regency England.
Angieluila Bradley
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually liked this one. It is rare of late for me to like an Anita book but this one did hit the mark. Good Job Anita.
Leslie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful story. It did seem to drag a several times but I cam still glad I read it.
Cadence
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet, but a tad predictable.
Momof5boys
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-author
Stansfield does more telling than showing these days. I enjoyed the plot, however.
Barbara
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
The characters just didn't feel real to me. I love their ideals, but even the situations didn't feel real. Too much deus ex machina for me.
Erin
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Sad
Robin Gibbons
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. A simple romance that didn’t leave me feeling as though I needed to wash my brain out with soap. Interesting tale involving aristocratic family and their adopted daughter.
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was outstanding! I had my heart in my throat so many times and tears streaming down my face with the emotions evoked from the courage that Henry and Amala showed in the end to follow their hearts in spite of the odds being against them.

There are the real issue of prejudice and mixed race marriages, with Amala being a native from India, but being adopted unofficially into an English family. Many thought the Indian people were inferior and after nine years in India and nine in England,
Julie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened
Slow, repetitive, preachy, with characters that are just a bit too perfect.
Cathy
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this novel. I have never really thought about it before, but it makes sense that there would have been prejudice against people that didn't look the same in places other than here in America. And it made tons of sense to me that there was especially against the people of India in England during this time period.

I loved Amala in this one. She's a young Indian woman trying to live in the harsh, judgmental climate of England. She's always been a bit of an outcast (I was shocked
Heidi
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Regency & Victorian era romances, but somehow Anita Stansfield has found an aspect of the time and place that I haven't read about before. As with all her other works, Stansfield presents the reader with lovable characters facing really difficult situations with grace and heart.

Amala has spent much of her life in England with her adoptive family, but English society never lets her forget that she doesn't really belong. Amala is a native Indian (India) and as such is seen
Michelle Llewellyn
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
While Anita Stansfield can usually be counted on to churn out some quality historical fiction, this book contains way too many pages of dense narration, not enough dialogue and is weak on story.

Set in 1860's England, the plot concerns Amala Hepworth, born in India, brought over when adopted by the Hepworths, an upper crust, high society family. Their daughter, Kat, is just Amala's age and the two girls have always been very close.

Apprehensive about marriage to any of the local white men, Amala c
Patty
A Victorian romance starring Amala, an Indian woman adopted by a white family and raised in England, and Henry, a white Englishman recently returned from India. I can't figure out how to talk about this book without spoilers, so if you really want to be surprised, skip the rest of the review. Otherwise I'm going to talk about everything right up until the very end.

Despite their instant attraction and obvious suitability for one another, Amala refuses to marry Henry because she's unwilling to de
Dorene Holt
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A story of love, forgiveness and second chances

The characters are real and it was easy to immerse myself in the story. There is love, loss, Christian values and second chances.
Apzmarshl
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
I enjoyed reading about Amala, a young Indian woman living in England with her adopted British family, during the 1800's. I loved the romance until it was interrupted. As the story took obvious twists, it was still fun to see it flesh out in the end.
Becca
May 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Because there are so many books in the library by Anita Stansfield, and I need to get a feel for all types of authors so that I can better steer people to something they will enjoy, I decided to give her a try. That was enough.
Sandi Bettridge
Loved it
Ralene Butcher
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty slow, and the author is very redundant and preachy.
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues