Start by marking “Hilda Must Be Dancing” as Want to Read:

Jump,
Jump,
Jump!

"Hilda must be dancing!"
Hilda Hippo loves to dance! But there's just one problem. When Hilda dances, it sounds like this:
Ka-bump! Ka-bump!
Crash! Crash! Crash!
Thumpity-bump!
Thumpity-bump!
Boom!
Bang!
Bash!
The other animals beg her to find a quieter hobby. Knitting? Singing?
For Hilda, nothing else will do. What could p
Published February 5th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published February 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hilda Must Be Dancing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hilda Must Be Dancing

Rosa Cline
Oct 17, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This was a very creative both in rhyming, almost singing, storylines and the bright colorful illustrations! It was a fun book for both my 2 year old granddaughter to sit and listen and look and fun for me to read to her. We giggled through most of it.

Hilda is a hippo in the jungle. She has many friends, however because she is so big when she dances the others are all affected. They each try and find something else for her to do to but she doesn't 'take' to any of them. UNTIL one recommends her
MB (What she read)
Karma Wilson's books are a blast to read aloud!
Miss Sarah
Nov 18, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movement
Hilda the hippo loves to dance but her forest friends don't really like it. She makes lots of noise and the ground shakes. They try to distract her with other forms of activities till they find swimming. A hit. 3 to 5 age group.
Fred M
Mar 22, 2017 Fred M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Hilda must be dancing because I love dancing.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 11, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Mommy's review from 4/11)

I really, really like this author. Julia does too. When I told her who the author was she got visibly excited. That makes me so happy!
This is just what I've come to expect from Karma Wilson and that pleases me to no end. We read this twice, back to back, and will read it again to be sure, because it's just so much fun.
Hilda is a totally awesome character and the same can be said for all of her animal friends!
Suzanne Watts gets extra attention for the bright and wonderfu
Mhm Storytelling
Hilda is a hippo who loves to dance. There is one problem though, she makes way to much noise. Anytime she dances or even moves all of the animals in the jungle notice just how much noise she makes. Until one day she discovers synchronized swimming. Hilda is happy with her new hobby and she impresses all of her jungle friends.

Great Features: Colorful illustrations, interactive

Theme/Topic: Hippos, dancing, swimming, making noises

Red Flags: None

Opportunity for Interaction: The children can dance w
Candice
Jun 02, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A loads-of-fun rhyming book about a hippo who loves to dance. When the ground rumbles and quakes,and bananas are shaken from their peels, that's a sign that Hilda must be dancing! The other animals try to get her to take up other hobbies - knitting, singing - but Hilda is her own woman. She wants to dance! She dances a variety of dances - the flamenco - "swisha-swisha clap! clap! jump, jump, jump!" - disco - "shaka-shaka boom! boom! bump, bump, bump!" Her costumes are as colorful and outrageous ...more
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Lana Hoffman
Oct 22, 2008 Lana Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Hilda the hippo loves to dance and the other animals beg her to stop. They try to convince her to take up another hobby, but Hilda can't stop dancing.
This is a colorful story. Children will have fun making the noises that Hilda makes in the story when she is dancing. The poetry flows nicely in the story and children can help fill in the rhyming words as you read the story out loud. I think that it is approprite for the lower elementary grades. It is a funny, enjoyable book, with bold illustrati
Sarah Adamson
This is a fun book telling the tale of a hippo who loves to dance. The rest of the animals try to interest her in other hobbies, ones that require less bouncing and shake the forest floor less.
The book sort of rhymes although maybe you need an American accent to make it all work. The alliteration is fun. However the basic principle of this book telling a larger lady that she cannot dance was a little worrying to me hence my 2 stars.
Molly
I read this to my 4&5s group at our creativity and imagination storytime. It's a very cute story about finding something rewarding in your life. Plus, its just fun to read!

One of my regulars, a normally quiet young boy, busted out with 'She's shakin' her bacon' while we were reading. That made my whole day!
Lauren
Sep 15, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karma Wilson has emerged as one of my favorite picture book writers. I like her rhymes--they never seem forced--and her sense of the ridiculous. While I like "Bear" and his friends, some of her other picture books are even more appealing. Hilda is lots of fun to read aloud and Whopper Cake is a new favorite of my son.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dancing, hippos, jungles
This is the tale of a hippo following her bliss by dancing. Unfortunately, her bliss is causing a lot of havoc in the jungle. While she is encouraged to try several other less destructive hobbies, dancing is the only thing that does it for Hilda. Fortunately, she finds a way to dance that is agreeable to all the jungle residents.

Cute illustrations.
The Book Box
Re-read 2/8/17: Mama read this to me and we loved "dancing" and making noise along with Hilda.

Originally read 6/11/15: Mama read this to me while I was eating breakfast. I loved the colorful illustrations and rhymes.
Karen
Apr 19, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Karma Wilson's work, but this one has never been one of my favorites. Usually in her writing, it's easy to spot an underlying sweetness. Not so much with this one. At least the story ends on a very positive note.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Paula
Hilda Hippo tries other, quieter, activities when her jungle friends are disturbed by her dancing, but nothing else makes her happy until Water Buffalo suggests swimming and she finds a new way to express herself.
Annette
May 15, 2009 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 3-5
This is one of Serena's favorite books, mostly because its about dancing. The rhyming text makes it fun to read and the illustrations are cute. Karma Wilson is one our favorite authors so, its no surprise that we like it so much.
Linnea Frank
Hilda loves to dance - but as a hippo, she is a very noisy dancer! The other animals are tired of hearing it, so they suggest other hobbies. Will they find a new activity for Hilda to enjoy that doesn't sound so loud and shake the ground?
Maren Prestegaard
Jun 20, 2013 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karma Wilson is one of my favorite authors and little M loves reading her. Didn't like Hilda as much as the Bear but a nice change of pace.
Jessica
This book is a blast and a half! My kids (and I!) loved it.
Brittany Seyb
This is a super fun dancing book. Reminds me a little of Giraffes Can't Dance but I love the idea of a big ole hippo dancing around and around bump bump bump!
Alisha
Feb 19, 2011 Alisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cute cute cute. i like the illustrations and her convictions.
Gail Yerbic
Apr 12, 2010 Gail Yerbic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-literacy
Phonological Awareness. Delightful story about Hilda the Hippo and all the sounds she makes while dancing.
Nicole Harris
Sep 23, 2016 Nicole Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-readers
Very clever way of showing your talent might not be appreciated but if you find the right environment you can really shine. Fun story time book, parents check it out to read again.
Melina Kinder
Feb 10, 2014 Melina Kinder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter absolutely LOVED this book especially the onomatopoeia's. It's fun to read and it's a cute story
Krissy
Oct 09, 2007 Krissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-K
Shelves: picturebooks
Fabulous use of meter and rhyme. Fun to read out loud. Cute characters and great word choice.
Casandria
Jun 15, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool, picture
Funny and entertaining
Dana
Nov 30, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Nice "be yourself/do what you love" story. Also has good rhyming text.
Megan
May 25, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read aloud with lots of onomatopoeia and repetition.
Greta
Apr 30, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
The rhythm of the verse was quite fun. I liked how the author told the story. It was whimsical and creative.
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Rain
  • The Perfect Nest
  • Perfectly Percy
  • The Doghouse
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Acorns Everywhere!
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • All Kinds of Kisses
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...