Start by marking “God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems” as Want to Read:
God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems

God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems (Asiya Haque Mysteries #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
LIKE NANCY DREW, BUT NOT...

Craving a taste of teenage life, Asiya Haque defies her parents to go for a walk (really, it was just a walk!) in the woods with Michael, her kind-of-friend/crush/the guy with the sweetest smile she’s ever seen. Her tiny transgression goes completely off track when they stumble on a dead body. Michael covers for Asiya, then goes missing himself.

D
Published January 15th 2017 by Deeya Publishing Inc.

To ask other readers questions about God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems

Tori (InToriLex)
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Find this and other Reviews at In Tori Lex

Part murder mystery, family drama, and romance this is a really engaging peak into a Muslim family's life. Asiya is not only adventurous but relateable and  really funny. Asiya's humor helped me deal with the uncomfortable feelings I had about her Mom repeatedly saying girls mixing with boys brings Satan. This short book, made me feel a range of emotions while reading, and I was happy to care about the characters described. Micheal is Asiya's friend who
✨    jamieson   ✨
Jun 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
Hellooo I'm hearing it's Nancy drew with a Muslim girl as MC and I'm here FOR IT
Glaiza
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I recommend readers check out #ownvoices reviews of this book such as Zaheerah's review, Saadia’s review and Ruzaika’s review for more insights. The novel’s dedication honours these readers and the future ones to come:

‘For all the girls who were never told someone like them could, not even in books.’

This was a delight to read. I loved Asiya’s sense of humour, wit, and curiosity in tackling this mystery.

Cont'd on the blog: https://paperwanderer.wordpress.com/2...
zaheerah
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Received an e-arc in exchange for an honest review from the author

When going on a walk with her crush, Michael, Asiya accidently stumbles across a dead body. Knowing that telling the police means revealing to her strict parents that she was with him, Michael covers for her but then goes missing himself. All the evidence points towards Michael but Asiya is sure he's innocent and is willing to risk everything to help Michael.

This review is painful to write because I literally don't know what els
Laura (bbliophile)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author of God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems recently contacted me asking if I wanted to review her book. I said yes, because the synopsis was very intriguing and sounded unlike any book I’ve ever read before. I’m so glad I said yes, because I fell in love with the book, and here are 5 reasons why:

1) The main character, Asiya Haque, is definitely one of my favorite things about this book. She is funny (like, really funny), clever, and very witty. She also cares a lot about the people
Ruzaika Deen
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received an e-arc in exchange for an honest review from the author

I've always love dedications in books, and this one was no exception-

How many times have you seen yourself represented in fiction? A couple? More than that? Never? If you ask me, I'd say not enough. The times where I've read and seen someone go through what I do on a daily basis, the times where a protagonist's circumstance are so similar to mine tha
Saadia Faruqi
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review was published in Blue Minaret literary magazine.

Move over, Nancy Drew. There’s a new teen detective in town and she’s much more nuanced and layered than you could ever be. Introducing Asiya Haque, A Bengali Canadian girl whose main goal in life is to be normal. She’s got a lot on her plate: a mother whom every South Asian girl can recognize, a mosque community that’s as inquisitive and gossipy as one could possibly imagine, and a younger brother who’s a pain in the a**.

All Asiya want
Ayah
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy in exchange with an honest review.

A muslim version of Nancy Drew?????? Gimme that book!

Asiya is a Canadian-Bengali teenager who always obeys her parents, even if they are really strict, and might give her ridiculous demands.

Although my parents were never that strict, I was happy to see this #ownvoices representation. A lot of muslim girls would be able to relate to the main character for the first time in their lives, thanks to Ishara's book.

She even dedicates this book
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems follows a female protagonist named Asiya Haque, who’s a Bengali-Canadian Muslima. One lovely day while at her volunteer job, Asiya defies her parents and goes on a small, innocent walk with her boy-crush, Michael, during her break. Her cute, little transgression through the woods takes a huge turn for the worse when the duo stumbles onto a dead body. Soon after the incident, Michael disappears without a word, complicating matters quite severely. Convin ...more
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review

Before I dive into the review, I need to get this out of the way. For me, this book took “seeing yourself in a book” to a whole other level, a very literal one, because the girl on the cover looks almost exactly like me. It’s creepy you guys haha, she’s even dressed like I used to when I was in high school. Joke aside, this was such an awesome book, with very
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

This book was pitched to me as “Muslim Nancy Drew” and I couldn’t move my fingers fast enough to add it to the TBR-I (To Be Read IMMEDIATELY) list. While the mystery elements sometimes make abrupt turns and some of the secondary characters are a little awkwardly obvious, the core characters of Asiya Haque, her best friend, and her family are just delightful.

Asiya Haque is a Muslim high school senior in Canada who is very protected by her family. She isn’
Bina
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the full review on my blog: https://wocreads.wordpress.com/2017/0...

In her debut novel, Ishara Deen introduces us to Asiya Haque, a Bengali-Canadian teen who tries juggling high-school, interning, crushes and family. Oh, and a murder mystery. God Smites opens with Asiya’s mother warning her daughter about boys, and Asiya’s internal monologue where she considers her religion and what she owes her mother is hilarious and sweet. Probably most people with Muslim, or even other religious, family
Brendon

See original post on Reading and Gaming for Justice: https://gamingforjustice.com/2017/03/...

I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an one and honest review.

Before reading my review of God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems, please read these fantastic #OwnVoices reviews of the book:

Saadia’s review
Ruzaika’s review

Please let me know of other #OwnVoices reviews I can link up!

~~~~~~

God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems is an #OwnVoices young adult, contemporary mystery novel. This
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4,2 stars*

A full, coherent review: Bookish Wanderess

- For now, I can say that my favorite thing about this book was the main character Asiya, she is funny (like really, really funny!), she is smart, she is nice, she cares about other people and she can be a bit naive. My second favorite thing about this book was the humour, this is one of the funniest books I have read and I think it comes from being so honest and outspoken about things that are not that often talked about in YA.

- The writtin
Jim From YAYeahYeah
This was a fun read and it's awesome to see a Muslim MC taking centre stage (as a non-Muslim I can't speak for the rep, but reviews I've seen from Muslim bloggers have praised it.) Asiya is a fabulous lead and I loved her relationship with her family, especially. I found the mystery a tiny bit predictable (although it was nice to solve one before the MC did for once!) but it was still engaging and held my attention. Looking forward to book 2!
Kim Aippersbach
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
God Smites is a very, very funny book about a Muslim girl who just wants to lead a normal life. Oh, and solve a murder. And maybe have a conversation with the boy she has a crush on.

Asiya's voice is so real, you can't help becoming best friends with her. Her inner and outer conflicts are achingly, hilariously believable. I loved the conversations she has with God, where she's genuinely trying to figure out the right thing to do, while justifying what she wants to do. I'm sure anyone who believes
Patti Sabik
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
While volunteering at a nature conservatory and walking with her crush Michael, Asiya accidentally falls upon a dead body. Asiya becomes unwilling involved in seeking out clues and clearing names from the suspect list. The mystery storyline is tight and kept me turning pages until the end.

I loved Asiya's voice - she is quite humorous and likeable. The other characters are equally enjoyable and the window to Asiya's Muslim world is sorely needed in teen literature today.

My complaint (and why thi
Lyric Shard
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Ishara Deen for a copy in exchange of an honest review.

Geez, I’m still trying to stop laughing. The story was intense with a really good humor. It’s “Like Nancy Drew, but not…” because Asiya goes sleuthing but she has very, very strict parents and God’s on her mother’s side most of the time.

The book is about Asiya, a Bangladeshi-Canadian Muslim teenager who accidentally trips on a dead-body and gets involved in the homicide investigation. Problem is, she was with a boy and if she tells
Vijayalakshmi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let me just start by saying that this is one of the most entertaining books I’ve read recently! It’s humourous and full of twists that keep the pages turning. It is well plotted and perfectly paced.
I love that the author has used Bangla and Hindi words. They don’t get in the way of the narrative, but they add a layer of familiarity that makes the reading experience that much more delightful.
It not only tackles Islamophobia head on, but also explores the dilemma of reconciling one’s religious b
Stacey
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again
So adorable.

I'm breaking a rule because this one ends on a cliffie and is clearly meant to be lead right into the next book. Normally, I hate that because I feel like it's a cheap shot. This book, though, was so refreshing that I decided it's still worth four stars even though I didn't know that it was going to have that sort of ending. The characters are fresh and fun and you can absolutely relate to Asiya.

Worth checking out.
Bonniemilam
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The parental relationship with Asyia seems subversive. Instead of talking with her mom and dad together and working on the entire relationship, Asyia is one way with her mom in order to appease her and then pits her mom's conversations against her dad, etc.

Mrs. James
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Link to Synopsis (Amazon or Common Sense Media): https://www.amazon.com/Smites-Other-M...

Genre(s): Mystery

Theme(s): Doing what is right, Coping with societal and parental expectations

Cultures/Under-represented Groups: Muslim culture

Grade Level (Interest/Difficulty): 8th grade and up-This novel appeals to students who have a connection to Muslim culture and students who enjoy a great mystery that is realistic because Asiya is a very relatable protagonist, regardless of the background knowledge th
Katie Conigliaro (Katsyxo)
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received an egalley from the author. This in no way impacts my review*

It's 140am and I have work in the morning so I can't type out a whole thing right now, but this book is such a fun quick read and I loved every second of it.

Asiya is hilarious and her internal monologues give me such life. Getting to spend a few hours in her head alone is worth it, lmao.

Seriously don't sleep on this book. It's fab and perfect for a summer read!

---

Way back near the beginning of the year Ishara emailed me say
Reading with Cats
Miss Corene
Jul 17, 2017
Neelam
Jul 19, 2017
Ishara Deen, author of God Smites and Other Muslim Girl Problems, is also a copywriter and grad-school dropout. She did finish a Master’s degree in World Lit, but still prefers a good mystery, fantasy, or romance over “literature.” A hobby-collecting nerd – the latest of which are archery and bass guitar – her goal in life is to write and publish what scares her, because it’s likely to scare the p ...more
More about Ishara Deen

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)