Start by marking “The Paper Year (Piper Adler, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Paper Year (Piper Adler, #1)

The Paper Year

(Piper Adler #1)

3.04  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Published March 16th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paper Year

Rachael
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh dear.

Piper Adler wakes up in hospital after apparently attempting to take her own life, but she knows she wouldn't do something like that...

This novella reads as a submission to a school creative writing contest, one that didn't win.

Just do yourself a favour and avoid throwing your money away on this nonsense, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Yes, I'm grumpy, but I'm frustrated with my precious reading time being wasted on drivel like this.
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: March 16, 2017
Genre: Psychological Thriller

I picked up this book on a whim today because I was looking for something different to to fade into that wasn't a romance. So it definitely checked off this mark for me. I also read it in just a few hours because it is a very quick and fast paced read. Here on goodreads it says the kindle edition is a little over 400 pages but I think this is wrong, it's more of a novella length. With that, The Paper Year is a decent thriller although
Coco.V
May 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebies
💝FREE on Amazon today (5/30/2018)!💝

Blurb:
Sutton Place is Manhattan's premiere cooperative--the kind of place everyone who's anyone desires to reside in. That's what psychotherapist Piper Adler believes as she moves into the garden apartment with her new husband, but then she wakes up in a hospital accused of trying to take her own life. Her dreams of being a wife and mother destroyed along with her career as a mental health professional, she sets off on a mind-bending course to discover the trut
Paula Brandon
Apr 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
When I opened this up on my Kindle, that little side bar popped up, saying that it was 417 pages long, but would only take a little under two hours to read.

Huh?

Indeed, this is a short story/novella, not a novel. Good to see Goodreads has it listed as only 141 pages. I'm going to Amazon after writing this review to get my money back, as I was deceptively sold something that I did not receive.

In any case, it was another psychological thriller that claimed on the cover that it had an amazing twist.
Linda
"The Paper Year", is a psychological thriller, a story typically outside of my normal reading genre I was unsure how I would feel about the story to spite the fact that it was written by a romance author I read normally. Well I am happy to say I loved it! The plot line was gripping and had me captured from the very beginning.
Piper Adler, a psychotherapist , recently married and starting a life on the upper east side of New York in an Elite Garden apartment with her upwardly mobile husband Boden
Paula  Phillips
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been getting back into reading my thrillers and mystery novels, and I also like the author Avery Aster, so when I saw that she had a new one out, I wanted to read it. I loved this book so much, and if you are a fan of psychological thrillers, then this is a book that you will love. The book starts off with a woman trapped in a basement. At first, I thought that the husband had done something and was trying to get rid of her and that she was seriously cray-cray. The book then jumps back to ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's a quick read and I read it in one sitting.

Piper Adler a psychotherapist lives with her husband and her dog in an apartment. Her life starts falling apart when she wakes up in hospital and is told she attempted to commit suicide. Did she and just can't remember?? It gets worse when some people don't believe her.

I didn't guess what was happening which is a great plus as my mind tried to work overtime throughout the story.

I thought the ending was a bit rushed but I didn
Renee
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Sutton Place is the be all end all as far as places to live goes. Everyone who is anyone lives there and now Piper Adler, a psychotherapist, is moving into a garden apartment with her new husband. Life to Piper couldn't be any better or so she thinks until she wakes up in a hospital accused of trying to take her own life. Every dream she has ever had of being a wife and mother and her carer as a mental h
Book Snob Sue
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a huge Manhattanites fan, having said that I did like this book, it was different than the normal Avery Aster book, but very good too.

I really liked Piper's character. She is a married therapist, who is very smart and calm under pressure. When an odd accident happens and lands her in the hospital, she really digs in and tries to find answers. Through all of these "accidents" and missteps, her husband is not very supportive. I really was not a fan of his, personally he really wasn't a very g
Dita
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

"The Barclay makes Real Housewives lame."

Oh yeah...so many drama queens here.
This life in a building with some interesting characters is totally typical Avery Aster and I love it, well who doesn't, these people got me laughing and drive me nuts at the same time. It's also different from other Avery's books, this one got some suspense in it.
For short book, I really enjoying this one. I got the thrill, the angst and all the sadness and loneliness. Although it felt a bit rushed at the end,
Amy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
The Paper Year
Avery Aster
DNF

This book is a very quick read and it leaves me more "wondering" than satisfied. You get a list of characters and who they are from page one. Now that had me worried in a sense as if you have to clarify who your characters are and what their roll is then to me you aren't expecting your readers to remember them on their own. When I'm consumed with a books characters even with series I don't need this. I remember exactly who is who and what they are involved in.

Piper
Frances
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: avery-aster, arcs
Nail biting

***ARC provided by author***

This is a kind of story that would make you guess from the moment Piper opened her eyes and found out that she was in a hospital for trying to commit suicide. You'll ask yourself why would she do that if she has a happy life, good friends and loving husband? Until you read the whole thing, you would be left with questions such as "did she do it?", "why did she do it?".

It is nail biting because you're guess is never who its going to be or who the obvious cho
Kimberly Hicks
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Reading Addiction
Shelves: read-on-kindle
This story, to me, should be considered a novella, but it was over 100 pages, so it isn’t, but no matter, I loved the fact that it was a very short read. One thing I love about a short read is that the writer has even more responsibility in getting to the details quick and urgently. There’s so much that must be told for the reader to grasp the full story, and I think Aster did that well.

I received a copy of this book from Reading Addiction in exchange for my review, and so, here it goes. Piper
Kat
*** I voluntarily reviewed this book, I gained no monetary incentives nor was I specifically requested to review the book, these are my honest ramblings and I hope you enjoy reading them - kat***

Okay - I have loved Avery Asters Manhattanites since winning a paperback of Yours Truly, Taddy I have read both series, they are hot, fast and funny.

I applaud Avery for deciding to write something different, I enjoyed it - BUT...
The story is hashed out in short form at the beginning - supposedly I guess
Christina
2kasmom
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: medical, new-york
This book starts with a story that does not seem to ring true. If Piper attempted suicide, why are too many things not adding up? There is much more to this. She is sure of it.

Boden is not the best spouse for her to have as Piper goes through all of the uncertainty. Lots of surprises inside. While still a short story, there is a lot packed into it.

This is a quick and mysterious read. A bit different from the author's usual fare I thought that made for a nice change of pace. I am not sure I was
Sharilyn Dickerson
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one will keep you guessing....

Bought this one after reading the synopsis and it sounded really interesting. I love a good suspense that keeps you guessing until the very end and this one delivers. There were a few hints dropped here and there that connect to what really happened. You will definitely pick up on them after you finish reading, if not while you are reading. The end, probably the last 25%, of the book felt a little rushed. However, overall I really enjoyed reading this book and
The Book Fairy Reviews
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nail biting is correct this book starts us off with one painful decision and then thrusts into one horrific realization, someone in the hospital and one person afraid to lose the other. Piper and Bo are meant to be together, they love each other, but there to being tested. Their love being stretched to the breaking point.
The mystery in this book will make you gobble it up and beg for more hours in the day to dedicate to just reading. solving the mystery, will be the only thing that consumes you.
Lynn Geth
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although Amazon lists this book as being over 400 pages, it's quite a bit less than that. Like maybe over 200 pages less! It's more of a novella and it's very fast moving. I read it in one sitting and enjoyed the quick pace. I didn't find it to be that psychologically thrilling and there weren't many twists and turns as the synopsis suggests but it's very light reading and I enjoyed the story.
Asma Angelus
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Was expecting something like Gone girl or girl on the train , but no it was not that good at all.
Carla
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for Stephanie's Book Reports.

**Carla's 5 Star" Nail Biting" Review

Piper Alder is a renowned psychotherapist. Along with her husband, Bo, and beloved dog, Orlane, she lives in the Barclay which is one of the most coveted buildings in Manhattan. One day she is happy and on top of the world, and the next day her world comes crashing down around her. Forced to unravel a web of deceit, Piper must face the fact that all those she holds d
chariti
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just ok

The story line was good enough. Short book though. Finished it in 2 settings. Could have been longer and more detailed.
Melanie Marnell
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
How can a life go so wrong? Well, when you wake up in Bellvue Hospital having your stomach pumped, it's all down hill from there.

I liked trying to figure out who was tring to get rid of Piper. Lots of suspects with lots of misleading clues. Isn't the husband always the first suspect on the list? This storyline is entertaining but I felt both the characters and plot lacked depth. This is an easy read. I am an Avery Aster fan but this wasn't one of my favorites.
DJ Sakata
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Favorite Quote:

I may be a lot of bad things – codependent, argumentative, a know-it-all, jellybean junkie, chatty, slightly entitled, overeducated, emotionally distant at times, a label whore with a serious handbag obsession – but a liar isn’t one of them.

My Review:

Much like the first bite of your favorite cheesecake, The Paper Year was a tasty nibble that managed to whet my appetite for a bigger slice. It was a quick and engaging first installment with an entertaining and intriguing story and a
Corrine Pickering
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
 photo 12516825_10208063953377144_1111376284_o.jpg

The Paper Year: A Psychological Thriller by Avery Aster

### 4 Hashtags ###

I enjoyed this story, it's quite a quick read which will leave you guessing throughout.

It didn't end quite how I anticipated, I envisioned something a little more dramatic, but nevertheless a great read which kept my attention the whole way through.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series, whilst this is a standalone, I like that Piper has a different story to tell.
Tanya Vought
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come on the 19th.... for the book tour!
Sarah Keziah
Apr 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Trash

This book is complete trash, even poor editing. The storyline rushes through, and the end is very anticlimactic. Poor writing, poor flow, I want that two hours of my life back.
Teresa Pickens
Jun 09, 2018
Linda Lane
rated it did not like it
Jan 16, 2018
Tricia
rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Get a FREE ebook when you join Avery Aster's newsletter http://eepurl.com/CQ665

A graduate of New York University and a resident of the Big Apple for twenty years, New York Times bestselling author Avery Aster writes popular fiction in several genres. Erotic Romance fans enjoy Avery’s The Manhattanites books, while New Adult readers can’t get enough of the Undergrad Years. For those who like a goo

Piper Adler (2 books)
  • The Lost Year (Piper Adler #2)